PDA

View Full Version : STAR School Opinions

wraithR1
Thu Dec 30th, 2004, 09:05 AM
It looks like Jason Pridemore's STAR school finally has the dates approved for SCR. I am seriously thinking of attending the 2-day course to hone my skills.

Who has gone to this school and what are your experiences/opinions on the material presented and learned? I know a bunch of you folks went last year so please chime in!

I figure I'll do mods on myself (riding skill) this year instead of my bike.

Later,
JOE

RSVR4aCowboy
Thu Dec 30th, 2004, 09:26 AM
I did the two day last year. I recommend it. I plan to take it again this year. Wish it were a little longer but they gave me some good exercises to work on during practice at the track. I haven't taken any other "pro" schools so I don't have anything to compare it to.

wraithR1
Thu Dec 30th, 2004, 09:50 AM
"I haven't taken any other "pro" schools so I don't have anything to compare it to."

Word....I've seen the prices for schools like Keith Codes Superbike School and Freddy Spencer's whatever. It seems that the STAR school is a bargain and requires no travel or bike rental.

Anonymous
Thu Dec 30th, 2004, 10:12 AM
I've always heard positive things about the STAR school. I've heard some very mixed results about Code's school. Personally I'd spend my money on Pridmore and then maybe do Spencer's if I had a sudden influx of cash or something...

Nbot
Thu Dec 30th, 2004, 11:22 AM
I'm looking at the Star school too...too bad its almost 1/2 way into the year (I could prolly use the lessons before that....). Anyways, I definitely want to do one day, but should I really just save up and do both? Is the second day going to be an advantage?

Anonymous
Thu Dec 30th, 2004, 11:27 AM
Huh? :wtf: It comes a week after our second race event. Far from halfway.

I'd like to do both days, but doing one will put me slightly over my PTO for work, dunno if I can swing both (plus am already taking off a ton of time this summer).

Nbot
Thu Dec 30th, 2004, 11:56 AM
one week? well that ain't so bad....but are both days different drills, or just polishing up of day 1's drills?

Lel
Thu Dec 30th, 2004, 12:35 PM
I have heard really good things about the STAR school; however I would spend my money on schellinger. (and I am a dunlop boy!)

Schellinger is great, and is really good at helping through your problems specifically, and is always around to help out if you need to ask a question. Besides, nothing beats the one on one time w/ an instructor.

lel

Goofy
Thu Dec 30th, 2004, 01:26 PM
I did STAR last year (1 day as that's all that was in the budget). I learned a lot and got faster/smoother from the drills. Having also spent time in Schellinger's "class", I would definately recommend Mark over STAR. As menioned earlier, the 1:1 can't be beat, especially for the $. It's also much more flexible in scheduling and PTO friendly.

wraithR1
Thu Dec 30th, 2004, 02:50 PM
Schellinger's "class"

What is this you speal of? Any web links, rates, etc?

Goofy
Thu Dec 30th, 2004, 03:09 PM
You can reach Mark who runs Vanmar Racing (Michelin support) and is the MRA's New Rider Director at (303)322-3221 or (303)944-0333. Last year lessons were $150 for a couple of hours -- ususally Thursday evenings at SCR during bike evenings, but scheduling's by appointment. The really nice thing is that it is 1:1 so he'll work with you on what you want.

wraithR1
Thu Dec 30th, 2004, 03:22 PM
Thanks for the info, Goofy.

So technically speaking, I could arrange several consecutive sessions with this Mark gentleman and still stay at the same or near the price of the STAR school? Interesting....one on one instruction does seem more appealing than riding with a herd. Flexible hours as well. Brilliant!

jplracing
Thu Dec 30th, 2004, 05:50 PM
I will agree with using Mark. The one on one time is great and he really has a way of explaining thing in easy to understand ways.

Joe

ebazyl
Thu Dec 30th, 2004, 05:59 PM
Dunlop boy ... :up:, personaly I prefer women, but if tires do it you thats cool too. :bananna:

Even though I was a Dunlop rider at the time Mark S., was a total class act, and provided me with a lot of useful info. He is also great a feedback. I would highly recomend him.