PDA

View Full Version : US Top Speed Laws...

COGIXX
Fri Dec 31st, 2004, 12:41 AM
I guess you could consider this a technical question... another CSC Member and I were talking about top speed dyno results, and the top speed law came up...

I was under the impression that US federal law prohibits any manufacturer (post 2001) from producing a motorcycle that is capable of reaching speeds in excess of 187mph. In fact they MUST govern the bike at 187mph.

The "Good Guys Agreement" came up as a document that was signed by Japanese companies producing bikes for sale in the UK, (apparently the Italian, German, and other manufacturers neglected to sign), stating that they WOULD govern their (post 2001) production line at 300km/h...

Sooooo, does ANYONE have some documented proof of this assumed legislation in the United States, or was it in reality the adopted Good Guys Agreement that came into affect in the U.S.??

Not that it really matters, but for curiosity sake, it is knowledge gained!

R1ch
Fri Dec 31st, 2004, 08:15 AM
Could not find anything about your topic. I don't have a problem with the big 4 capping bikes... as long as you can uncap them without too much time or money. This way it covers them for product liability and allows people who want to go faster/quicker to do so. I think the r1 and the zx-10 are geared the way they are to make powertransitions smoother to make it "safer" for newer riders cause once you toss that front sproket, the thing really comes alive. And if you regear it the speedometer tell you you are going faster than you are. The speedo thing is a simple fix, they just have to add a button to change the gear ratios (could be an issue with US speedo no tamper laws though).

But searching found this, dumb Canadians, big brother will be watching them very soon. Since the can't afford to regulate it, they invade your privacy. :( http://www.safety-council.org/info/traffic/speed.html

Mista Black
Fri Dec 31st, 2004, 08:31 AM
since i'm on a slow bike and obey all traffic laws all of this is mute to me...

Stuart Little
Fri Dec 31st, 2004, 10:53 AM
I figure if you're stupid enough to go 190 for a prolonged amount of time through denver traffic, then you might as well go 220 :) As for that legislation I don't know, thought the busa's stock was around there but never looked at the exact number.

Jmetz
Fri Dec 31st, 2004, 01:35 PM
Speaking of speed restricters...anyone know how to remove them from a truck? My Chevy S-10 has one that won't allow my truck to go over 90mph.

Fly boy
Fri Dec 31st, 2004, 01:43 PM
90 HA I got one at 96mph. Sucks, Cuz I can hit that in 4th gear( man 5 spd)

I got it going 102 going down a long ass hill to C springs.

King Nothing
Fri Dec 31st, 2004, 02:42 PM
ha! 104 in the tundra...

Brizz
Fri Dec 31st, 2004, 02:48 PM
My dakota will only do 117 then it cuts out.

Anonymous
Sat Jan 1st, 2005, 11:30 AM
The US doesn't govern max speeds on bikes (yet), the limitations are all because of the European laws.

COGIXX
Sat Jan 1st, 2005, 01:43 PM
The US doesn't govern max speeds on bikes (yet), the limitations are all because of the European laws.

Thank you!! Thats the answer I was looking for not a lecture on how stupid it would be to ride at 190 through Denver....

It was a question revolving around curiosity, based on what speeds a bike may or may not be actually capable of reaching vs. IF the manufacturers have governed top speed.

Stuart Little
Sat Jan 1st, 2005, 05:51 PM
Thank you!! Thats the answer I was looking for not a lecture on how stupid it would be to ride at 190 through Denver....

You haven't seen a lecture until you read one of Rich's "books" but I agree with a lot of what he says. Not only that, but that wasn't a lecture, and if you put a statement or question up you're going to get a variety of answers so relax a little... mr ellipsis....

~Barn~
Sat Jan 1st, 2005, 06:32 PM
Yup. Ralph's got it. Euro restrictions are set at 300km/hour. I think that was implemented in '99 or so.

R1ch
Sat Jan 1st, 2005, 06:44 PM

Hmm I did not know that, I found it strange that the bikes had very similar top speeds and was told the busa could be changed in someway to allow it a higher top speed.

I will say this (instead of writing a book :) ) When I bought my V-Max it's top speed was about 145mph but had like 140hp or something like that. I remember the europeans complaining about Yamaha by law had to restrict the VMax to 100hp by removing the V-boost feature. Why would Yamaha keep the 140hp V-max over in america and not follow the european limitation? And now maintain the top speeds of the current sportsbikes America the same as europe? I do not know the answer but in the US, bragging rights for having the fastest mph bike would go along way in advertizing. Just a thought as to why would the big 4 start limiting now like the euro bikes now?