PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know of a good powder coater in Denver?

motox911
Sat Jan 1st, 2005, 06:30 PM
Hi, I need to powdercoat my hubs and wheels. Anyone have experience with anyone good and inexpensive in the Denver area? My wheels are stock, and I think those are a mix of steel and aluminum? 2004 CRF450R dirt bike. Thanks!

Trent

T-byrd
Mon Jan 3rd, 2005, 10:09 AM
I know of a place in the Springs that has done many a wheels of mine and friends. They do great work, they are called Spectrum Powderworks. http://www.spectrumpowderworks.com/

Hope that helps.

Tanya

UglyDogRacing
Mon Jan 3rd, 2005, 10:42 AM
Bryan at Mile Hi Motorsports has done all my powder coating for years. He has done frames and both aluminum and magnesium wheels for me. Call 303-289-2262 and ask for Bryan. They are located at 800 E. 73rd Ave. #10 Denver 80229

Mel
Mon Jan 3rd, 2005, 11:27 AM
Hmmmm, I can find out who is good...have a few friends who have gotten big stuff done. All my rims were done by my father (he does that stuff too).

motox911
Sat Jan 8th, 2005, 01:01 PM
Thanks everyone! I found that Denver Bumper has done wheels before too and seem to know what they are doing.

How about Lacing and Truing? I think I'll try to lace myself but I'll have to take them in for Truing. I called 8 different bike shops and believe it or not, Fay Myers is the cheapest at $45 per wheel. What do you think?

TJ

Dysco
Sat Jan 8th, 2005, 01:45 PM
Woody's Wheels. Have you tried them? I'd pay anything not to go to FAy Mart just on principle and previous service experience.

Lomax
Tue Jan 11th, 2005, 12:22 PM
+10 for Woody's Wheel Works. I have had a lot done ther in the past and he knows what he is doing.

Marc

NorCALSpeed
Thu Apr 14th, 2005, 02:53 PM
I remember about ten years ago, when I was into BMX, they had home powder coating kits. You bought the gun, powder, all that stuff. Anyone have any info or feedback on those? I can't affored powder coating on my wheels, swingarm and accessory stuff (new look for bike soon). This seems like , if it worked, it'd be a good idea for us budget people.

Not trying to hijack, more like offering another option to you but I don't know anything about it.

Mel
Thu Apr 14th, 2005, 03:16 PM
You can buy a kit from...ummm, Eastwood company. It is called HotCoat...about $300ish for the gun, $20ish plus shipping per jar of powder coating. It is easy to do at home, and you get some great results. You do have to have an oven that is not used for cooking, and it is much like painting: it does take some skill to get even coating with out blemishes. Very durable though, just as much as taking to any of the big shops.

NorCALSpeed
Thu Apr 14th, 2005, 04:28 PM
Well our oven is gross enough not to cook in, but my roommates do it anyway. does the powder coat mess up the oven? $300 is kinda spend, what did they quote you on your wheels?

Mel
Thu Apr 14th, 2005, 04:36 PM
powder coat will potentailly leave chemicals and fumes that you would not want to have near your food, I will put it that way.
You can get wheels coated for like $50ish each, you have to get them cleaned or tumbled to get all the paint or anodized (sp?) finish off which is like $20 ish a wheel. You might be able to shop around and find it cheaper. You also have to include costs to get tires dismounted and re-mounted, say another $40ish for that.

NorCALSpeed
Thu Apr 14th, 2005, 11:43 PM
Would painting the wheels be abad idea? I know powdercoat is the way to go, wont chip at all, but seems really expensive. Would paint and and lots of cleat coat be ok for wheels and swingarm?