PDA

View Full Version : Anyone been up the Poudre recently?

Think
Thu Feb 5th, 2009, 10:31 PM
I'm thinking of doing a short ride up there tomorrow and was wondering if anyone knew if the road was relatively clean or not.

Devaclis
Fri Feb 6th, 2009, 07:22 AM
hehehehe....

That is all.

rybo
Fri Feb 6th, 2009, 07:43 AM
I'm thinking of doing a short ride up there tomorrow and was wondering if anyone knew if the road was relatively clean or not.

It's a really dangerous ride this time of year. The valley is pretty deep in places and a lot of the road doesn't see sun this time of year. Personally I wouldn't chance it.

I know we've had exceptionally nice weather, but the air temp at night has still been easily cold enough for ice and frost. Even usually sunny spots like HWY 7 have patches of ice on them.

Scott

mtnairlover
Fri Feb 6th, 2009, 07:50 AM
Hey Greg, I don't like Poudre Canyon in the winter because of what RYBO has mentioned. It's a little more gravelly than makes me comfortable. The lower areas of that canyon are ok as it gets warmer, but even by late May, there's still a pile of snow up higher on that road.

Hwy7 was ok yesterday when I went. I did not ride my usual spirited pace like in summertime, though. The mag chloride is pretty thick in most areas of that road. There was some water run-off in the higher banking corners, as well. But, it is still ridable with a much more cautious pace, like I took yesterday. And I did see others out and about on that road as I was enjoying the day.

Sean
Fri Feb 6th, 2009, 08:28 AM
I did not ride my usual spirited :shocked:
Doesn't Mag Chloride give you better traction? :slappers:

Yeah, +1 with Rybo. There's better roads than Poudre this time of year. I'm sure mtnairlover can give some good suggestions in that area (cause she rocks :rock:).

mtnairlover
Fri Feb 6th, 2009, 08:47 AM
:shocked:
Doesn't Mag Chloride give you better traction? :slappers:

:shocked:

lol...ummmm...

You know that point on hwy7 where it junctions with hwy72 and then starts its decent with that first lonnnggg right-hand corner? I start out thinking, "oh yeah, baby", then quickly tone it down as I notice the white powdery stuff strewn across the road all the way down. I have no clue as to whether my tires will grip on that stuff and I am not gonna test out any theories in that area. I have wayyyy too much experience kissing pavement and that stuff is unforgiving when coming in close contact at any speed. I remained blissfully cautious yesterday and was just fine with it.

Scer
Fri Feb 6th, 2009, 08:48 AM
I usually like going up the poudre too but hate when it is all dirty, which unfortunately is now. Wait a little bit more till it cleans up, then hammer into it.

This post was formatted for Danas pleasure. Please do not try not to adjust it as there is nothing wrong with your screen. Thank you

hammer on hammeras

Sortarican
Fri Feb 6th, 2009, 08:51 AM
Anyone been up the Poudre recently?....

hehehehe....That is all.

Really, gentelman never kiss & tell.:hump:

OUTLAWD
Fri Feb 6th, 2009, 09:15 AM
I was up that way in a car maybe a week and a half ago...and it wasn't the most confidence inspiring experience...I would probably steer clear of it on 2 wheels, unless you've taken up flat tracking the cbr...

7 is pretty solid, alot better than the last time I saw you up there greg, 72 not so much, spots with ice across the road, and a decent amount of sand, boulder canyon was a bit better, but still covered in that lovely white powdery substance...

SaShWhO
Fri Feb 6th, 2009, 09:29 AM
I hate dirty Poudres:puke:

Think
Fri Feb 6th, 2009, 10:26 AM
Haha... thanks guys/gals, that's what I assumed. Sag aka Scott and I did a ride through Horsetooth to Masonville and a little bit up 34 and then some other roads on Wednesday and they were all pretty clear.