PDA

View Full Version : How much for bike tune up?

R6biker122
Thu Feb 5th, 2009, 11:59 PM
I was just wondering the amount of money one will spend on average for a bike tune up. I talked with Grand Prix and they said $265 plus parts. . Is this a good deal? Also how much should i spend on new tires?

Gainer
Fri Feb 6th, 2009, 01:07 AM
I was just wondering the amount of money one will spend on average for a bike tune up. I talked with Grand Prix and they said $265 plus parts. . Is this a good deal? Also how much should i spend on new tires?

What year R6 are you riding and why do you think you need a tune-up? What did GPM say the tune-up includes? The cost usually depends on the year of your bike and how many miles you have on it. You should also ask what parts they intend to use, because that can really increase the cost. There are a lot of people on here, including myself, that can help you with this.

Tires? We can help you with that too.

The_Jackel
Fri Feb 6th, 2009, 10:30 AM
Tires you are looking around $300 - $400 depending on model. I am assuming that "tune up" is oil change, check air filter, check plugs, tighten loose bolts, adj. chain, check fluids etc. If so thats about the going rate, we have a special for one month $175 plus parts. Parts generaly being.. plugs if needed, filter if needed, oil and oil filter.

R6biker122
Fri Feb 6th, 2009, 12:41 PM
I have an 01 R6 with 14425 miles on it. I bought it used and I just think it would be a good idea. I bought it last summer and rode it a lot. I have put about 2,000 miles on it. The guy i bought it from said he did maintnence on it, but who knows. . I know they have half priced dunlops at GPM so thats why I am leaning there. But JAckel sounds like the better deal.

But they guy at GPM told me parts would be like oil, oil filter, and chain if needed. what do u think?

Sortarican
Fri Feb 6th, 2009, 02:25 PM
I know shops have overhead and all, but for $265+ they better be doing more than an oil change and chain adjust.
Now if that includes a valve adjustment then maybe.
(Then again, I've never had a shop service my bikes, just bought parts and tires from 'em.)

Check with Jim at TFOG for your tires and what a basic tune service runs.

modette99
Sat Feb 7th, 2009, 02:50 PM

MikeG
Fri Feb 13th, 2009, 11:27 PM
You may double check, but I think you may need a valve adjustment done at around 16,000 miles.

R6biker122
Sat Feb 14th, 2009, 04:34 PM
Yeah i do. SO i don't need that done yet. So im guesing it will be cheaper.