PDA

View Full Version : Now What?

PharmerKyle
Sat Feb 7th, 2009, 09:26 AM
Has your definition of "sporty" changed since hiting the big 4-0?

I woke up today with an urge to go chase kids off of my lawn...

Snowman
Sat Feb 7th, 2009, 09:29 AM
My first choice I riding gear is no longer leather.

Nick_Ninja
Sat Feb 7th, 2009, 09:38 AM
My hemorrhoids take precedence over Iron Butt rides.

asp_125
Sat Feb 7th, 2009, 10:56 AM
Say... that Goldwing looks pretty good.

Snowman
Sat Feb 7th, 2009, 10:58 AM
You start considering heated, anything.

towneh
Sat Feb 7th, 2009, 12:05 PM
automatic chain lube a la exxon valdez on 2 wheels!:drink:
bus_henry :turtle: AARP

Bueller
Sat Feb 7th, 2009, 12:23 PM
Happy bday in that case. It only goes downhill from here! Huh Dean.
I have been severly limited in my twilght years.
http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee291/rmsupermoto999/Supermoto/new.jpg

dirkterrell
Sat Feb 7th, 2009, 12:35 PM

Same here.

http://www.boulder.swri.edu/%7Eterrell/bikes/PMP2008apr26/_igp2239_small.jpg

Dirk

Jim_Vess
Sat Feb 7th, 2009, 10:58 PM
Naw, the definition doesn't change. You just have to stop for a piss more often.

Bashed
Sun Feb 8th, 2009, 08:48 AM
Has your definition of "sporty" changed since hiting the big 4-0?

I woke up today with an urge to go chase kids off of my lawn...

I find as the gray hair starts to infiltrate,
the time goes by much quicker,
and the younger get to be much more annoying.

Congrats on passing 4 decades of life PharmerKyle!

Bash

Bueller
Sun Feb 8th, 2009, 09:00 AM
.........and the younger get to be much more annoying.

And the freakin' music is too loud!!:music:

mtnairlover
Sun Feb 8th, 2009, 09:25 AM
Now what?

Whatever you damn well feel like.

And no, the definition of "sporty" has not changed for me.

One thing that becomes a whole lot more clear as time goes by is the idea that many things in life truly are your choice.

Some things are not...losing both my brother and grandmother in the months before my 30th birthday kinda let that day slip by almost completely unnoticed. Going through a divorce in the months before my 40th birthday kinda had the same effect. But, you can be damn well certain that my 50th is gonna be nothing like the previous two milestones.

Looking forward to each day is that much more sweet.

PharmerKyle
Sun Feb 8th, 2009, 12:39 PM
My first choice in riding gear is no longer leather.
Word! My aging shoulders get tired of fighting a two front war between the leather and the bars.

My hemorrhoids take precedence over Iron Butt rides.
Heed the elders, Corbin seats and monkeybutt powder rule!

Say... that Goldwing looks pretty good.
Yeah, the ST2 is just an Italian middleweight compromise on the way to Goldwingdom.

PharmerKyle
Sun Feb 8th, 2009, 12:46 PM
You start considering heated, anything.
BTDT... then my skin lost all feeling. I seldom wear coats when not on 2 wheels.

automatic chain lube a la exxon valdez on 2 wheels!:drink:
bus_henry :turtle: AARP
I hear you. The last time I stooped down to lube a chain, my life passed before my eyes on the way back up. There has to be a better way.

Happy bday in that case. It only goes downhill from here! Huh Dean.

I see where you're going (showoff!), but I think "sporty" and "competitive" are just overlapping sets. I'm sure you'll always have a competitive streak, but I've noticed your tastes changing over the years as well.

I can look at an R1 and think "fast" but not necessarily "fun", for example.

Bueller
Sun Feb 8th, 2009, 12:50 PM
I see where you're going (showoff!), but I think "sporty" and "competitive" are just overlapping sets. I'm sure you'll always have a competitive streak, but I've noticed your tastes changing over the years as well.

I can look at an R1 and think "fast" but not necessarily "fun", for example.
When I show up on a Ninja 250 then you can tell me I am old :lol:

PharmerKyle
Sun Feb 8th, 2009, 12:54 PM
Same here.

Dirk
Don't get me wrong. I know for sure that my experience and age add to the concept of "capability", I guess it's just that my interests in what I want to be capable of are changing.

I've spent enough time at the track and in classes to know my limits. I have great admiriation for those of you who race, but my mind's wiring is just too inhibited for that venue.

Naw, the definition doesn't change. You just have to stop for a piss more often.
I like this. It's almost good enough for a sig line or a birthday card. Kudos!

I find as the gray hair starts to infiltrate,
the time goes by much quicker,
and the younger get to be much more annoying.

Congrats on passing 4 decades of life PharmerKyle!

Bash
My aging Greyhound, Bernard, definitely agees. He loves people and older dogs, but puppies always make him growl & show teeth. Thanks goodness for having our own little subforum.

longrider
Sun Feb 8th, 2009, 01:01 PM
In my case I would say my tastes have not changed as much as sportbikes have changed. If they still built bikes like Honda and Kawasaki did 8 - 10 years ago (think F4i, 954, ZX6 (pre636) and ZX9) I would still be riding a pure sportbike. It is possible to have sport performance with a measure of comfort. Sportbikes now are racebikes with lights so initially I went pure naked - Aprilia Tuono, Z1000 but the desire for a fairing brought me to the VFR800 which is still very sporting despite the availability of saddlebags

PharmerKyle
Sun Feb 8th, 2009, 01:10 PM
And the freakin' music is too loud!!:music:
Now that I'm older, the voices in my head are much more civil. I don't need thumpin' bass or Remus pipes to drown them out.

When I show up on a Ninja 250 then you can tell me I am old :lol:
See, I saw that post of yours on the $3K thread and couldn't tell if you were kidding. This is the way I'm drifting as well. Less plate, insurance and maintenance money lost per unit of free time to actually ride!

Now what?

Whatever you damn well feel like.

And no, the definition of "sporty" has not changed for me.

One thing that becomes a whole lot more clear as time goes by is the idea that many things in life truly are your choice.

Some things are not...losing both my brother and grandmother in the months before my 30th birthday kinda let that day slip by almost completely unnoticed. Going through a divorce in the months before my 40th birthday kinda had the same effect. But, you can be damn well certain that my 50th is gonna be nothing like the previous two milestones.

Looking forward to each day is that much more sweet.
Sorry to hear about your past milestones. Mine's been drowned out by work and a few other events. I think my revised goal will be to celebrate my 42nd with a Hitchhiker's Guide theme.

And yes, of course, you are right about the choices. My choices in what and how I ride have come only as a byproduct of age, not age itself. The experiences I've accrued and finding out what I like and don't are what shape my def. of "sporty". The current version's manifestation is still in daydream form, but may be ready by this year's BN&P ride.

PharmerKyle
Sun Feb 8th, 2009, 01:24 PM
In my case I would say my tastes have not changed as much as sportbikes have changed. If they still built bikes like Honda and Kawasaki did 8 - 10 years ago (think F4i, 954, ZX6 (pre636) and ZX9) I would still be riding a pure sportbike. It is possible to have sport performance with a measure of comfort. Sportbikes now are racebikes with lights so initially I went pure naked - Aprilia Tuono, Z1000 but the desire for a fairing brought me to the VFR800 which is still very sporting despite the availability of saddlebags
Good point. There are DS bikes out now that could outrun some of the sportbikes of the 80s.

Comfort and ergonomics seem to be more of a question of riding style than age. The difference is essentially that of which you want to conquer, a single corner at sickest speed, or largest geographical area.

So what is "sporty"? Is it strictly a look or a body position that equates to racing? Does riding upright vs. prone position automatically translate to non-sporty?

Bueller
Sun Feb 8th, 2009, 01:26 PM
So what is "sporty"? Is it strictly a look or a body position that equates to racing? Does riding upright vs. prone position automatically translate to non-sporty?
DIA

(Do it all!)

PharmerKyle
Sun Feb 8th, 2009, 01:28 PM
DIA

(Do it all!)
Good plan :up:

peteremsley
Sun Feb 8th, 2009, 02:03 PM
Same here.
Dirk

Same here, same here.

I'm enjoying my riding more than ever. Trying harder at the track. Relaxing more on the street (the pace??), taking in more of the surroundings. Slowing down and having a good look around while riding the old BM has its place, too.

That said, I wish I'd started racing 25 years ago, rather than this year at 43:shocked:

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e161/peteremsley/bikes/poster10.jpg

longrider
Sun Feb 8th, 2009, 02:07 PM
Good point. There are DS bikes out now that could outrun some of the sportbikes of the 80s.

Comfort and ergonomics seem to be more of a question of riding style than age. The difference is essentially that of which you want to conquer, a single corner at sickest speed, or largest geographical area.

I can agree with your second statement, I am definitly more or the largest geographical area type even though I may do it in excess of the posted limit and without sparing much of my tires :) Sport bikes of the 90s and very early 00s just fit my style and comfort requirements quite well. The highest average miles per day trip I have done was 2600 miles in 6 days, it would have been 3000 if snow in the Canadian Rockies hadn't interfered and I was ready to do more if I didn't have to get back to work. This was on a 2000 ZX-9

To me sporty is more of how you ride and enjoy your bike. Having a sportbike to cruise LoDo on friday night is NOT sporty, while running a good pace in a canyon on a naked and smiling IS sporty

Dogsbody
Tue Feb 10th, 2009, 10:45 AM
Well, a few months past my 48th birthday I bought a new 08 Kawi ZX10R. I've still got the 03 KTM 520 EXC too. It took a few days for the body get used to the riding position on the Kawi, I don't think thats age related. The denial part might be though...

asp_125
Tue Feb 10th, 2009, 10:51 AM
Well, I bought your Ducati and decided the riding position was too hard on my wrists, so now I have a comfy Gixxer. damit I'm going down that slippery slope to BMW / Goldwing old man status. Must fight it... (yeah and I'm on the far side of my forties)

Nick_Ninja
Tue Feb 10th, 2009, 10:53 AM
My next ride. it will be in addition to the ZZR.

http://images.psndealer.com/dealersite/images/newvehicles/nv88052_1.jpg

Sortarican
Tue Feb 10th, 2009, 10:57 AM
The older I get the faster the bikes get, I'm worried that may be my undoing.
In the end, it's not the years that get you.... it's the mileage.

asp_125
Tue Feb 10th, 2009, 12:07 PM
The best part? The older I get the more disposable income I can spare on building that bike collection. Still on my list at some point: A sport tourer, a dual sport, a 'tard, a track bike, and maybe even a cruiser/standard. .. oh and a garage or barn for em all at some point.

PharmerKyle
Sat Feb 14th, 2009, 08:12 AM
My next ride. it will be in addition to the ZZR.

http://images.psndealer.com/dealersite/images/newvehicles/nv88052_1.jpg
I like KLR classic. The new KLR is weird and scary to me.

When's the puchase giong to be? I might get take the GS out for a ride with you.

The older I get the faster the bikes get, I'm worried that may be my undoing.
In the end, it's not the years that get you.... it's the mileage.
I have a colleague that rides an ST4s and is nearing retirement. He's skilled enough to have fun with it, but wise enough to know that the bike is better than he is.

The best part? The older I get the more disposable income I can spare on building that bike collection. Still on my list at some point: A sport tourer, a dual sport, a 'tard, a track bike, and maybe even a cruiser/standard. .. oh and a garage or barn for em all at some point.
I'm probably going to take a different fork in that road. I'll want to live vicariously through my kids and devote that share of income for 50-125cc rides for them. This year's projects include fitting the DR-z and failstrom for little passengers. By the time my nest empties, we'll all be riding hydrogen fuel cell thingies or hoverbikes.