PDA

View Full Version : WTB: Pistol Poll

RyNo24
Mon Feb 9th, 2009, 12:08 PM
I am getting a Pistol for my birthday in March, and I have made a list of pistols I would like to look at and get one of.

I am looking for a good all around pistol for self defense, CCW, and recreation. I would like a .45ACP or .40S&W, but a good 9mm would work too. Also, I am looking to spend about $500, so I am looking for a gun that has a lot of features and quality with a good price.

I held a Baby Eagle and I like that gun a lot, but I have not heard a lot about them

If you like a gun that is not on the list, select other, and put the model in a post.

dallas
Mon Feb 9th, 2009, 12:14 PM
I really like my Glock in the .40S&W. I have a full frame, but I am a full fram guy so I have no problem carrying it concealed in a shoulder holster.

Airreed
Mon Feb 9th, 2009, 12:19 PM
Have you looked at Ruger's? They are not the top tier like Sig or Glock, but for home protection I think it's one of the better weapon's for their price.

salsashark
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steyr_M_Series

Everything a Glock should be... check out the m40-A1 or m9-A1

MikeG
I have a Springfield Armory XD9 9mm and it is a great all around pistol. very accurate right out of the box and easy to disassemble
http://www.springfield-armory.com/

RyNo24
Mon Feb 9th, 2009, 12:23 PM
I have a Springfield Armory XD9 9mm and it is a great all around pistol. very accurate right out of the box and easy to disassemble
http://www.springfield-armory.com/

I will have to take a look at the Spring Field, they look good and I know they are a respectable brand.

eg bter
Mon Feb 9th, 2009, 12:31 PM
I have a Glock 23 (mid frame), I love it. I shot a half a dozen other brands before I settled on the Glock. The H&K USP compact was my second choice.

MikeG
Mon Feb 9th, 2009, 12:34 PM
I will have to take a look at the Spring Field, they look good and I know they are a respectable brand.

The New version has plenty of nice features, I'm not sure but you may have to watch the videos on their site. It's available in 9mm .40S&W and .45ACP

RyNo24
Mon Feb 9th, 2009, 12:37 PM
The New version has plenty of nice features, I'm not sure but you may have to watch the videos on their site. It's available in 9mm .40S&W and .45ACP
Some people from a FZ1 forum I made the same poll in like this gun a lot. It has that "semi-auto pistol" look I like.

SaShWhO
Mon Feb 9th, 2009, 12:38 PM
I have a Glock 23 (mid frame), I love it. I shot a half a dozen other brands before I settled on the Glock. The H&K USP compact was my second choice.
fine German hardware!

TFOGGuys
Mon Feb 9th, 2009, 12:40 PM
I have Baby Eagles in both 9mm and .45, They're good guns, but a bit heavy for concealed carry. I'm thinking either a Glock 30 or a Smith & Wesson M&P .45, when I get a bit more disposable cash. All of my friends that carry have M&P .40s and love 'em, but I need to add another caliber to the stable like I need Hillary Clinton as my mother in law.....

RyNo24
Mon Feb 9th, 2009, 12:43 PM
I was looking through Springfield site, and I have landed on the XD(M) .40ACP. I heard its a little pricey, but has a lot of good features.

I am going to check out the top 3 or so guns from the poll a gun shop for my final decision.

RyNo24
Mon Feb 9th, 2009, 12:44 PM
I have Baby Eagles in both 9mm and .45, They're good guns, but a bit heavy for concealed carry. I'm thinking either a Glock 30 or a Smith & Wesson M&P .45, when I get a bit more disposable cash. All of my friends that carry have M&P .40s and love 'em, but I need to add another caliber to the stable like I need Hillary Clinton as my mother in law.....

I noticed too that it was a little heavy. My future father-in-law has the M&P and he loves it too. I am a fan of Smith & Wesson because of my Dad's 357 magnum.

~Barn~
Mon Feb 9th, 2009, 01:32 PM
Heckler & Koch > Others

RyNo24
Mon Feb 9th, 2009, 01:33 PM
Also, where is a good gun shop to try the guns out and buy one from? I am located in the Littleton Area.

Foolds
Mon Feb 9th, 2009, 01:39 PM
I Have shot every gun on this list with exception of the M&P. I own a Baby Eagle, and a Glock 19 9mm. I prefer the Glock for every day use. I have shot a lot of round with the baby eagle, and if you were just looking for a bed side table gun I would say go with that, but since you are looking for CCW then I would go for Glock. Simple stupid for the Win in defense situations.

Lets ask a few more basic questions, First are you left or right Handed? Have you owned/ shot one particular type of pistol in that past? When you say carry, do you mean on your person or just left in your car?

Sig is also a hell of a gun, but im a Lefty therefore can't use it. H&K is pretty expensive, and if you are a lefty more the price up another 120-200 bucks for left handed. 1911's are great but pretty heavy, low ammo holding and have to me converted to lefty if you want left.

I am planning a trip to the range one of these days soon, if you wanted to try a glock 19 and a baby eagle let me know.

RyNo24
Mon Feb 9th, 2009, 01:43 PM
I shoot mostly rifles and shotguns (12 gauge, 20 gauge, 30-30, 30o6 scoped). My Dad owns a S&W .357, which I love shooting. I am right handed, and I do not mind powerful guns, I just do not like un-controllable guns (i.e. snub nose pistols with crazy recoil). That is why I was looking into a .40 or .45.

As for CCW, I am not sure if I am going to carry on person yet, because most of my time is at work or school which I cannot carry in neither.

P.S. I wonder if I can get my barrel stamped like your signature pic lol :D

rforsythe
Mon Feb 9th, 2009, 01:47 PM
I have a Beretta 96FS .40 and love it, but it seems like it would be a little large for CC. However if you'd like to meet up at the range and fire some rounds, just let me know. I like the feel over the Glock; having shot both, this one just fit my hands better. Light recoil, accurate, well built, etc.

Personally I'm thinking one of the small-frame Sig's for CC, but haven't actually fired one.

PhL0aTeR
Mon Feb 9th, 2009, 01:48 PM
Heckler & Koch > Others

QFT

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y210/PhL0aTeR/Gunz/img187.jpg

I just picked up my USPc from a member here, and i love the USP line for pistols. On a normal day, all 3 get stuck somewhere on me.... too bad HK doesnt make a USP thats as small as my P32, so i can have a matching trio but its a nice little reliable, concealable hole maker nonetheless.

slayermd
Mon Feb 9th, 2009, 01:48 PM
Also, where is a good gun shop to try the guns out and buy one from? I am located in the Littleton Area.

The Shootist.
2980 S Galapago St
Englewood, CO 80110
(303) 781-3382

Been there a few time to shoot at their range, its a nice place.

RyNo24
Mon Feb 9th, 2009, 01:53 PM
The Shootist.
2980 S Galapago St
Englewood, CO 80110
(303) 781-3382

Been there a few time to shoot at their range, its a nice place.

I think that is the one my dad knows the CCW trainer there.

t_jolt
Mon Feb 9th, 2009, 01:54 PM
I have the XDm .40 let me know if you want to go to the range sometime, ill let you put a few rounds through it.

RyNo24
Mon Feb 9th, 2009, 01:58 PM
I will do some more research and send out PMs to the people with guns willing to let me shoot. I think I like the Baby Eagle, XDm .40, and M&P .40 so far.

Jolt, the XDm is the one with the larger mag right?

puckstr
Mon Feb 9th, 2009, 02:12 PM
I love my FNP9. I am not a fan of hammerless pistols

comes in 9mm .40 and .45 with 3 mags and has the grip angle of a 1911
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y171/hipowersandhandguns/FNP9righttile1.jpg

Raptor
Mon Feb 9th, 2009, 02:14 PM
I voted Glock strictly on the idea that you plan to carry your weapon of choice. Recreation and home defense are one thing, but if you are buying one weapon for all three purposes, concealed carry ought to be the deciding factor in function in my opinion. Glock is not the only good carry weapon on your list...just my favorite. Other good makes for carry are the M&P, Kahr, H&K (<-- my second favorite), Sig, ..., ...,

If you are partial to the Baby Eagle (great gun, good ergo's, accurate, etc.) there is a polymer framed model available. That might squash any weight concerns as far as CCW goes.
As already suggested though, your best bet is to check out the fit and feel of as many from the list as you can. There's more to it than just how it sits in your hand (like trigger pull, recoil characteristics, sights, etc.) so try to get some range time with them if possible.

Good luck and congrats!

RyNo24
Mon Feb 9th, 2009, 02:20 PM
I have heard some thing about the poly framed Baby Eagles though. People have reported reliability problems with them.

Lol, best part of all of this is my fiance was the one that said "I want to buy you a pistol for your bday" :D (same one that said "get the FZ6 I like it, then, buy the FZ1 i like it more, she is a keeper.)

puckstr
Mon Feb 9th, 2009, 02:24 PM
I have heard some thing about the poly framed Baby Eagles though. People have reported reliability problems with them.

Lol, best part of all of this is my fiance was the one that said "I want to buy you a pistol for your bday" :D (same one that said "get the FZ6 I like it, then, buy the FZ1 i like it more, she is a keeper.)

Keep her!!!!!! My lady bought me my 9 for Christmas. Hell Yes!

Raptor
Mon Feb 9th, 2009, 02:26 PM

Definitely a keeper! Lucky guy you! :up:

I didn't know about the reliability of the poly Baby Eagles. Of course, I haven't been on the market to purchase one either so no need to have researched it, but out of curiosity, I'll check it out. Thanks for the info.

RyNo24
Mon Feb 9th, 2009, 02:27 PM
Lol, I am one of those people that still trust metal of poly on most things, even though some poly things are stronger than steel.

Definitely a keeper! Lucky guy you! :up:

I didn't know about the reliability of the poly Baby Eagles. Of course, I haven't been on the market to purchase one either so no need to have researched it, but out of curiosity, I'll check it out. Thanks for the info.

Midget Hellion
Mon Feb 9th, 2009, 02:29 PM
I love the Sig P220...HK USP is also great.

Sortarican
Mon Feb 9th, 2009, 02:34 PM
.... I am a fan of Smith & Wesson because of my Dad's 357 magnum.

Nothing wrong with a .357 revolver.
Practically impossible to jam/fail, and how many self defense situations call for more than 6 shots?

rforsythe
Mon Feb 9th, 2009, 02:35 PM
Practically impossible to jam/fail, and how many self defense situations call for more than 6 shots?

Also on my short list of desirables.

More than six shots? Well, zombies. Duh!

Sortarican
Mon Feb 9th, 2009, 02:37 PM
More than six shots? Well, zombies. Duh!

True, zombies never come in less than a dozen.

Maybe two .357's and a couple speed loaders then.

TFOGGuys
Mon Feb 9th, 2009, 03:17 PM

Nothing wrong with it as a firearm. It's about as concealable as a KKK outfit at a NAACP luncheon. More than 6 rounds?? Zombie hordes ALWAYS come in multiples, and you gotta make head shots. Horror movie slashers must be killed 3 times....geez, where ya been, Jeff?

InlineSIX24
Mon Feb 9th, 2009, 03:22 PM
I know a lot of people talk down the XDs but I love mine. The XD9 and XD40 both feel better at the range to me vs. my Glock and are fairly light for a carry. You might check out: http://www.comp-tac.com/product_info.php?products_id=61
Once you get to that point and especially if you ever wear a dress shirt.

RyNo24
Mon Feb 9th, 2009, 03:22 PM
I love his .357 it is the nickel plated one with wood stock. I like the double action so it can be a hair trigger if you want. He has a speed loader, but they still are too big for CCW.

TFOGGuys
Mon Feb 9th, 2009, 03:24 PM
http://moreteesplease.com/images/tees/ZombieTee.jpg
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a300/findingmyecho2/021908_zombie_poster.jpg

RyNo24
Mon Feb 9th, 2009, 03:32 PM
Zombies Jacked my Thread! Lol

dallas
Mon Feb 9th, 2009, 03:36 PM
No, just Zombie killers.

RyNo24
Mon Feb 9th, 2009, 03:39 PM
LOL, that's not so bad

Sortarican
Mon Feb 9th, 2009, 03:40 PM
Nothing wrong with it as a firearm. It's about as concealable as a KKK outfit at a NAACP luncheon.

I love his .357 ....., but they still are too big for CCW.

Look at it this way, if you run outta ammo it makes a great blunt instrument.
http://www.autattoo.com/images/shenanigans3.jpg

And Jim:
http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w217/sctlnd/shenanigans.jpg

t_jolt
Mon Feb 9th, 2009, 03:42 PM
Yeah hi cap mag, 16 +1 4.5 match grade barrel, short tigger pull. great gun.

TFOGGuys
Mon Feb 9th, 2009, 03:45 PM
http://www.cityofangelsfilmfest.org/CAFF05/images/blazing_saddles_200.jpg

Sortarican
Mon Feb 9th, 2009, 03:46 PM
How many times have I told you to wash up after cross burnings?
See...it's coming off.

TFOGGuys
Mon Feb 9th, 2009, 04:01 PM
http://roberthood.net/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/moz-screenshot.jpg

/threadjack

The Black Knight
Mon Feb 9th, 2009, 05:22 PM
I am getting a Pistol for my birthday in March, and I have made a list of pistols I would like to look at and get one of.

I am looking for a good all around pistol for self defense, CCW, and recreation. I would like a .45ACP or .40S&W, but a good 9mm would work too. Also, I am looking to spend about $500, so I am looking for a gun that has a lot of features and quality with a good price.

There's tons of pistols out there and mainly it boils down to which one you'll end up liking the most. I think feel and ergos are very important mainly because, if you don't feel comfortable with the gun in your hand. Or you feel like you're just not controlling it properly, then you'll never end up liking it and won't become as proficient with it.

Having said that, if you're looking to spend around $500 I might also suggest a Taurus mainly the 24/7 Pro model line. They are well made guns(in my opinion) and very high capacity. People will bash Taurus for unreliability however, I've got 5000+ rounds through my 24/7 Pro and it has yet to fail me. Plus if you go with a 9mm or .40 they are ultra concealable.

As far as an M&P goes, stick with a .40 or 9mm. The .45ACP is larger(in overall length and size) and unless you're fairly tall(6ft+ helps) and bigger framed guy it will be hard to conceal. The 9mm and .40 versions are smaller and shorter and aren't as hard to conceal. Not saying you can't conceal a .45 M&P but it's not easy for smaller folks.

You also mentioned the new Springfield XD and more specifically the XD(M). I'd recommend paying the few extra dollars for the XD(M) as you get alot more then the regular XD. Myself I absolutely hated the regular XD model. It wasn't comfortable and I just didn't mesh with the gun. However, from the moment I picked up the new XD(M) model I had to have it and well I do now. Again if you're going to go for a XD(M) and you're not tall(er) I'd say stay away from it. I've got the 9mm model and it's 19+1(so it's got a long magazine). It's a larger sized semi-auto and it's very easy to conceal in a shoulder holster but harder on you're hip. And they only make it in 9mm(19+1) and .40 cal(16+1) right now. I don't think they are planning to make it in .45ACP anytime soon.

I snagged mine for right at $600 from Sportman's Warehouse. I've seen them as high as $700 at other places. However, the one badass thing about the new XD(M) is the fact you get everything you can need for $600. You get a custom fit hip paddle holster(made for the XD by Sprindfield) and twin mag pouch(belt loop), speed loader, extra interchangable grips for you're palm(which in my opinion the system that you have to use that changes them out is vastly inferior to the M&P's design, with the M&P it's simply a pin that you twist and pull, with the XD you need a small hole punch to knock the rod out). Also if you had been in the market a little sooner, Springfield is doing a rebate(or was) where you return you're voucher form and get two free mags and another mag pouch.

Lastly, don't worry about caliber size. Everyone says you need a .45 or it won't stop someone. Take the time and compare ballistics and so forth. Cor-Bon makes a +P 9mm round now that packs almost 500ft-lbs of muzzle energy!! You can't get close to 500ft-lbs in a .45ACP unless you go +P as well. Also the the .40 is a nasty round as well. But the main thing is if you're going to become a CCW. You need to be as proficient as you can with your chosen weapon. Practice, practice, practice is the key and yeah right now it's tough with ammo being scare and brass prices going up. However, it's got to be done if this guy(whatever you choose) is going to be your CCW gun. A 9mm round is just as effective as a .45ACP, it's all about bullet placement.

Hope this helps add to your information you're looking for. Whatever you choose enjoy the gun and become proficient with it. Good luck with your search for that right gun.

= Buckeye Jess =
Mon Feb 9th, 2009, 05:26 PM
I personally own a Ruger P95 9mm pistol and I love it. I was looking to go as economical as I could and managed to find it on sale. It fits my hand perfect and I've not had problem one with it yet. I don't have a lot of experience with other brands as I fell in love with how this one fit my hand. I'll extend the same offer that the others have tho... let me know if you'd like to try it out... I haven't been to a range in forever! Plus it'll give me an excuse to go buy more rounds along with the shotgun I'm looking into getting.

R6biker122
Mon Feb 9th, 2009, 06:22 PM
Smith and wessin .45 Freaking bad ass gun!

The Black Knight
Mon Feb 9th, 2009, 07:18 PM
Just stay away from the Ruger SR9, from what I gather it's got a huge Re-Call going on right now. Saw a banner at Sportman's Warehouse awhile back on it and didn't really give it much thought. Something to do with the trigger safety.

= Buckeye Jess =
Mon Feb 9th, 2009, 07:58 PM
Just stay away from the Ruger SR9, from what I gather it's got a huge Re-Call going on right now. Saw a banner at Sportman's Warehouse awhile back on it and didn't really give it much thought. Something to do with the trigger safety.

D'oh! Thanks for the heads up... I'm gonna have to look into that. I have a number of friends with various Rugers. Surprising tho.. I've never really heard of any issues with them!

The Black Knight
Mon Feb 9th, 2009, 08:12 PM
D'oh! Thanks for the heads up... I'm gonna have to look into that. I have a number of friends with various Rugers. Surprising tho.. I've never really heard of any issues with them!
well if you have the SR9, Ruger issued a re-call that is free of charge to the owner. I don't know what the turn around is on the pistol. Here's some info click (http://www.ruger.com/SR9Recall/) :)

CaptGoodvibes
Mon Feb 9th, 2009, 08:20 PM
I've fired a lot of guns in my life and have owned a few. I'm a Sig guy through and through when it comes to semi-autos. My P228 is the one pistol I will never sell. Dead-on accurate right out of the box, immensely shootable, concealable ( when I was less fat ), and reliability second to none.

DavidofColorado
Mon Feb 9th, 2009, 09:33 PM
Get whatever is cheap to shoot. You never know what the prices are going to do. I personally like the 9mm. Glock 19 is my favorite gun to carry.

RyNo24
Mon Feb 9th, 2009, 09:35 PM
A 9mm wouldn't be bad, Realistically this may never get used for defence, so getting cheap recreation ammo makes sense. Also, if I get the Spring Field XD(m) I think 19 rounds will stop someone lol.

DavidofColorado
Mon Feb 9th, 2009, 09:49 PM
Yep. And no one will claim overkill.

Panman06
Mon Feb 9th, 2009, 10:02 PM
Since you listed CCW, I'd go with the GLK 30. I am a fan of Glocks and SigSauers. I've got a modified Glock 22 and Sig P220 stainless. Also have HK and 1911 .45, but not my favs. XDs are nice but I didn't like the feel in my hands.

In the end, I would recommend shooting all of the models you're interested in and then deciding. Pick the one that feels best for you. I'd avoid the Berettas.

RyNo24
Mon Feb 9th, 2009, 10:13 PM
Yep. And no one will claim overkill.

Lol, true, you wouldn't put a second clip in there for no overkill.

Jim_Vess
Mon Feb 9th, 2009, 11:00 PM
Colt Lighweight Commander - best carry gun ever. If you need more than 8 rounds to get the job, you're in the wrong neighborhood and hosed anyway. It's a lot easier to conceal than those fat-assed double stacks.

All real zombie killers know you never go up against zombies with anything less than an M4 carbine or an MP5.

DavidofColorado
Mon Feb 9th, 2009, 11:25 PM
All real zombie killers know you never go up against zombies with anything less than an M4 carbine or an MP5.

For zombies nothing gets between me and my AK. I would use an M4 as a back up though. Then my GSG5. I could kill all the zombies around that Mall in Dawn of the Dead for less then $100 in ammo.

DavidofColorado
Mon Feb 9th, 2009, 11:47 PM
Lol, true, you wouldn't put a second clip in there for no overkill.
You can get the XD in .40 and you won't have to shoot them to many times. Keep some ammo for later. But I've shot my bro's and it has a bit more kick than I like. But then again my EAA witness has a muzzle brake on it.

http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/6290/shootingrange009xk0.jpg (http://img18.imageshack.us/my.php?image=shootingrange009xk0.jpg)

The GSG 5 worked perfectly for at least 600 rds.
http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/5941/shootingrange015qd0.jpg (http://img15.imageshack.us/my.php?image=shootingrange015qd0.jpg)

If you need some longer shots because of a zombie getting cleaver and taking hostages or hiding behind walls you can use a .308 win.

But since you were asking about handguns the picture was meant to show my sidearm.:)