PDA

View Full Version : So I went riding today...

DavidofColorado
Mon Feb 9th, 2009, 08:48 PM
... and I equate it to riding as fast as you can on a sheet of ice. I never knew when the wind was going to kick up and push my bike over a lane.

I thought I was going to crash a few times because the wind blew so hard that I had to lean into the wind more than a few degrees. Then I would feel the wheels starting to slip around. Low side or High side? I couldn't decide so I didn't do either.

Don't get me wrong it was still a nice day to ride. Lots of fun.

Anyone else venture out on 2 wheels today?

LambeauXLIV
Mon Feb 9th, 2009, 09:54 PM
nope...when the wind shook my car at an intersection, I decided it was a tad too windy.

JohnEffinK
Mon Feb 9th, 2009, 09:59 PM
4 tons of tumbleweeds piled along the chainlink fence at work today = 4 wheels minimum.

John

DavidofColorado
Mon Feb 9th, 2009, 10:04 PM
I should have known it was to windy when I went outside and my yard was rearranged with trash cans laid out around the yard and the contents spilled. All the covers on my vehicles were blown off and I saw a witch walking down the street carrying her broom.

It was worth it. I ducked behind an SUV and stayed in the inside lane. On the way home I took Federal. It wasn't bad once I adapted to the whole thing.

XJ600s
Mon Feb 9th, 2009, 10:04 PM
Granted I don't ride far to get to campus (but today I took the long ride in), I got blown across my lane, but being a cyclist from Kansas, I'm used to leaning into the wind while riding straight. Except that one stop light where a big gust blew a bunch of sand and dirt up under my helmet (around the chin cover thingy on Shoei helmets too).

Needless to say, when I got to campus, I had to go wash my face off as it was covered in dirt and looked like I rode a dirtbike in.

Tipys
Mon Feb 9th, 2009, 10:23 PM
Wind whats this wind you talk of

DavidofColorado
Mon Feb 9th, 2009, 10:24 PM
LOL

salsashark
Mon Feb 9th, 2009, 10:48 PM
My bikes in multiple pieces waiting for an oil change and some new tires. Looking at this week's forecast, I'm not terribly concerned.

R6biker122
Mon Feb 9th, 2009, 10:56 PM
I give you probs today for riding in that extreme weather. I no doubt would have been blown over at a stop light.

= Buckeye Jess =
Mon Feb 9th, 2009, 11:05 PM
So I take it that it was nice and warm down there today? We were chillier than days past up here, but not the wind issues you had. Gusty, but not knock the bike over wind.

DavidofColorado
Mon Feb 9th, 2009, 11:37 PM
I may want to ride again tomorrow too. Since I am under employed I want to see about getting back into school part time. That way I can get fired from better jobs.

ihavealegohead
Mon Feb 9th, 2009, 11:37 PM
I'd rather ride in the rain then in the wind. Nope, took the SUV and cranked up the XM !

Dirt2Sportbikes
Thu Feb 12th, 2009, 06:41 AM
Hey, I just got my new bike and I know what you mean when you talk about the wind blowing. Hiding behind a wind blocker like a truck is a slick move.

I'm new to sportbikes but like the my name says I have been in dirt most of the time and I am use to sliding.