PDA

View Full Version : Riding Technique

tl1000riders
Tue Feb 10th, 2009, 07:15 PM
Is there a book or website to get info on riding techniques? I don't plan on racing. I do want to attend some of the trackdays this year. ( I had a blast year!!!) For those that don't know I bought a different bike in September last year. Not much riding time on it yet. I' m having trouble with my body position. Going to the right is the hardest for me. I don't feel comfortable with my footing. Thanks everyone.:)

Tipys
Tue Feb 10th, 2009, 07:37 PM
http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=62

slayermd
Tue Feb 10th, 2009, 08:09 PM
Hey Mike, try to find anything written by Keith Code.

He has many books on that stuff. Example (http://www.amazon.com/Performance-Riding-Techniques-MotoGP-manual/dp/1844253430).

Also check out Total Control (http://www.totalcontroltraining.net/). Our very own Pilot is in on this one.

tl1000riders
Tue Feb 10th, 2009, 08:12 PM
Will check it out. Thanks for the tips.

chad23
Tue Feb 10th, 2009, 08:18 PM
sport riding techniques by nick ienatsch is a good book. so is total control

pannetron
Tue Feb 10th, 2009, 09:16 PM
+1 on "Sport Riding Techniques" -- IMHO, buy that one first!

Jim_Vess
Tue Feb 10th, 2009, 09:45 PM
+1 for "Total Control" by Lee Parks. You can find it at Border's Books.

dragos13
Wed Feb 11th, 2009, 06:57 AM
Is there a book or website to get info on riding techniques? I don't plan on racing. I do want to attend some of the trackdays this year. ( I had a blast year!!!) For those that don't know I bought a different bike in September last year. Not much riding time on it yet. I' m having trouble with my body position. Going to the right is the hardest for me. I don't feel comfortable with my footing. Thanks everyone.:)

If you are going to be at the next Chicane Trackday on March 22nd, look me up and I'd be happy to help you with body position and footing. My name is Casey and I'm on a 06 R6 #901. Send me a PM if you have any specific questions. Until then, check out some of the books noted above. You can also just look thru pictures to see how the pros are doing it.

MetaLord 9
Wed Feb 11th, 2009, 08:35 AM
"Twist of the Wrist" FTW

tl1000riders
Wed Feb 11th, 2009, 08:27 PM
If you are going to be at the next Chicane Trackday on March 22nd, look me up and I'd be happy to help you with body position and footing. My name is Casey and I'm on a 06 R6 #901. Send me a PM if you have any specific questions. Until then, check out some of the books noted above. You can also just look thru pictures to see how the pros are doing it.
I will try to make the trackday. I will look you up for sure. Last year I was given many pointers from some of the other riders. I think it's great how everyone offers to help out a newb. Thanks for offering to help me out...:)

elbromisto
Wed Feb 11th, 2009, 09:00 PM
nOOb time: What is the Chicane Trackday?

dragos13
Thu Feb 12th, 2009, 07:31 AM
nOOb time: What is the Chicane Trackday?

Check out the website here: www.chicanetrackdays.com (http://www.chicanetrackdays.com) its still under construction but thats where you will go to register for an event. Basically Chicane Trackdays was started by Scott (Rybo) as a way to have save supervised trackdays. As opposed to open days where you will be sessioned with cars and racers, Chicane Trackdays will be bikes only and have instructors to assist with new riders both in the pits and on the race track. You will have experienced racers that can help with bike maintenace, pit setup, body position, race lines, braking, suspension, and more all included in the cost of the trackday. Its going to be the best way to get quality track time in Colorado.

elbromisto
Fri Feb 13th, 2009, 10:14 PM
Does Scott ever do anything that's not awesome (other than crash)? This is a great idea and I'm definitely going to be there this year.

Crashdaddy
Thu Feb 26th, 2009, 09:10 PM

As others have said, Sport Riding Techniques bt Nick Ienatsch, Total Control by Lee Parks, and Twist of the Wrist (and TOTW 2)by Keith Code are all excellent books. Keith's books were the first I bought and read. Little abstract in the way he writes, but excellent info. I think once I read his books a few times I started understanding more.

But what really ramped up my riding was taking classes and hanging out with riders more talented than I (not hard to find). I highly recommend track days (so do crack dealers to addicts), but to get the most out of them, get a little instruction before and/or during. It makes a world of difference.

I've taken classes with Ricky Orlando (2), Mark Schellinger (2 or 3) and Lee Parks. No matter what books you read, it is not the same as having somebody there to explain what you should and should not be doing.

Have fun whichever way you go. Hopefully we will meet up at a track soon. I know I will be there (I'm the slow, old, fat guy on the slow bike...can't miss me)