PDA

View Full Version : Leather brands

Polar X
Thu Jan 6th, 2005, 04:53 PM
Well you guys seem to have all the answers, so I think you all can help me with this one. :D

I am 6'1" and 180lbs, 34 waist. :oops:

Who and what do you recommend for a suit? and do you recommend 1pc or 2pc?

I am brand new to this so I know nothing about it. COGIXX has been very helpful, but I am sure there are some of you that are close to my size and have realworld experience with the best fit and comfort issues.

I plan to be a trackey not a racer, but I still want some good protection.

Thanks for the help

Lurch
Thu Jan 6th, 2005, 05:10 PM
I have seen plently of racers crash and they all seem to hold up well. Except Technic stay away from them. Try as many as you can find on. They all fit different.

Lurch

brian38
Thu Jan 6th, 2005, 05:18 PM
Kinda depends on what you will ride most. If you are mostly street I would probably go for a 2pc as it will be more versatile. The protection will be sufficiant for trackdays. If you are leaning toward the track I would go a 1pc.

Lurch is right Teknic is cheap but you get what you pay for. It is still better than nothing :) .

Brian
TK Motorsports

Polar X
Thu Jan 6th, 2005, 07:10 PM
What I am looking for is advice from some of you that are tall and skinny. I understand that JR and A-star are supposed to be for taller guys (?) but I would like to hear it from some of you that fit the bill.

I don't mind spending around 5-700 for a suit. But I want to be atleast somewhat comfy. Oh, and perf or non perf leather??

The bike is not street legal, strictly a track/race bike, and that is how I will ride it. I ride a big V-twin cruiser for the street.

brian38
Thu Jan 6th, 2005, 09:31 PM
For track go a 1 piece.

If you want to try on a Joe Rocket I have a 1pc in a 46 :? .

You are welcome to try it on at the shop, check the fit, and see which direction you need to go.

Just let me know.

Brian
720-904-9040

The Black Knight
Thu Jan 6th, 2005, 09:34 PM
Hey Polar I can say that from what I've used so far that AGV offer some good suits. If you want to spend 500-700 for a suit AGV have some great suits for that. I think you can get their top of the line suit for around 1000$
I had the Delta One-Piece suit and it fit great. I'm around 6'2" about 235-240lbs HAHA I'm not skinny but tall. I found that their suits will fit a number of sizes. I ordered a 48 which was small. Fit skin tight but the legs were a tad short so my knee sliders road real high. I've got a 50in chest so I went with a two piece this time. AGV jacket and Tecknic pants. Never heard about Tecknic being bad but then what do I know. I've always had some Joe Rocket stuff. Had a Blaster jacket and pants. The pants were o.k. fit kind of weird plenty of lenght for the legs though. Jacket was a 54 HAHA bit big but great for commutes to work in the morning for wearing a sweatshirt underneath. With AGV alot of their suits have Kevlar in them. So you've got good protection there. In response to you get what you pay for I'd have to disagree. Having had experience not with just gear but another passion of mine music. I've found that its not usually the most expensive instrument that is the best. The best is the one that fits you and sounds perfect to you. I've seen many higher prices instruments that I wouldn't play if you gave them to me. Go with what you think is best for you. If it works for you then it can't be bad.

Devil954
Thu Jan 6th, 2005, 09:56 PM
Oh c'mon guys tekinc isnt that bad I have wrecked 3 times in my Teknic and it isnt that bad off it just has a little more ventilation :lol: it only cost me like 400 bucks new , For the money I would buy another Teknic this one has lasted 3 years and 3 wrecks and I will probably use it for half of this season what could one brand do so much different from another to justify charging more than double the price :roll: its all leather and stitches . if someone can point out the obvious that I am missing I will consider a different brand :lol:

Polar X
Thu Jan 6th, 2005, 10:15 PM
For track go a 1 piece.

If you want to try on a Joe Rocket I have a 1pc in a 46 :? .

You are welcome to try it on at the shop, check the fit, and see which direction you need to go.

Just let me know.

Brian
720-904-9040

Brian, thanks for the invite. I might take you up on that. I have found the GPX for $460 and the Speedmaster for $760 I just need to find out what size I am. Tried a 48 Teknic with the back hump, and it fit well. But I normally wear a 44-46 in jackets.

TheR1Wraith---- I have heard that AGV is ok for a beginner suit but was not that well padded on the back and lacked hard pads (?) So I had not even considered them. I know Performance did have those in house, but not much else to try on. So I may have to go back and try them as well.

Keep the suggestions coming, I really appreciate the advice, and BRIAN I may give you a call next week.

I look forward to meeting and riding on the track with you guys. I just hope I can hang without looking like a wuss :roll:

The Black Knight
Fri Jan 7th, 2005, 04:14 PM
Hey Polar,

Actually AGV are great for beginner and advanced. I know they offer a couple of suits that have the speed hump on the back for spine protection. I believe its the Aegis and the Podium suits from AGV that offer speed humps and Kevlar. Actually if you want to get suits for great prices go to Dennis Kirk.com or Motorcycle Accesories Warehouse.com
www.denniskirk.com
www.mawonline.com

I've had good dealings with them. I only paid 260$ for my Delta One Piece it was a clearance price though. Their other suits are pretty reasonable when compared to Alpinestars and others.

I looked up some prices for the DennisKirk stuff. AGV-Aegis One-Piece for $664.00 (shipping is free) I think at least it was when I bought mine back in October..
and the
AGV - Podium One Piece for $949.00 (shipping same as above)
Well there's some stuff I've found man. Hopefully its helpful for you. You can always check ebay for suits. I just sold mine for 200$ :( but oh well got good use out of it.

Anonymous
Fri Jan 7th, 2005, 05:31 PM
I have an AGV Aegis with the hump. It has a thin foam backpad & hard armor in the shoulders, elbows & knees. I got mine for just under $500. It's a decent suit, but the first one I had blew a seam on a low-speed lowside. Fortunately, AGV replaced it for me since it was a new suit (for them) and they had just started dealing with this manufacturer.

I've crashed in my current one a few times and it's held up pretty well (I've had to do some stitching to get it back to where it's somewhat safe again).

Check out www.NewEnough.com - they have a great exchange policy and excellent customer service, and with their experience, could probably help you find a suit that fits right off the bat.

Good luck. 8)

Sully
Wed Jul 13th, 2005, 09:32 AM
Is Teknic really that bad ??? I am looking to purchase a set of leathers... and not sure what to get.... does anyone know a place in town that carries womens sizes ??

Bueller
Wed Jul 13th, 2005, 09:42 AM
Teknic is better than skin :lol: I had two sets, one of which I crashed in and the previous owner had also crashed in them, and the seam in the butt is coming apart. They are prone to seam failure but, due to the relative affordability, they might be a decent choice. I kept the crashed set as backups and sold the other set, ironically to the guy who started this thread, the guy that wasn't going to race :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sully
Wed Jul 13th, 2005, 10:16 AM
the seam in the butt is coming apart.

:idea: Maybe you just have a big butt ??? :lol: :lol: just kidding...

So would you say that maybe one of these others - Joe Rocket, Alpine Stars, Dainese, Spidi or AGV would be a better choice .. depending on how they fit me ?? Do you prefer one over the other ?

Bueller
Wed Jul 13th, 2005, 12:04 PM
I really like my JR speedmasters but they are spendy. All of the brands you've listed are going to be pretty good but expensive, the AGV's are the most affordable. You might look into 2 pc. they are much more street friendly but fine for track days.

Polar X
Wed Jul 13th, 2005, 01:45 PM
I kept the crashed set as backups and sold the other set, ironically to the guy who started this thread, the guy that wasn't going to race :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yea, what can I say. IT IS SO MUCH FREAKEN FUN :fire: :devil2: The wife told me I was full of shit when I made that statement :roll:

Sully
Wed Jul 13th, 2005, 01:46 PM
:up:.. Thanks Bueller... Actually, I was thinking more about a 2 piece... :boobies: