PDA

View Full Version : Tire plug or new tire?

TWISTED
Mon Jun 23rd, 2003, 07:28 PM
I picked up a 1/4 long chunk of glass in rear tire. It went in right in the center of the tire. Now my temp plug says not to go over 45, but what would be the difference from a tire guy? I only have 2500 miles on these tires, but if I need a new one I'll get it. Haven't put plug in yet, still deciding which route to go. Any thoughts?

Jom

Hoopty
Mon Jun 23rd, 2003, 07:57 PM
I put a plug in a friend's tire and it lasted him well over 1000 miles. Numerous trips over 120 MPH as well. Over time he did need to add some air here and there, but that sure beats throwing down more $ if your tire is still pretty new. I would be a bit sketchy doing it on a front tire though... :shock:

haywood jablome
Mon Jun 23rd, 2003, 08:42 PM
Just me, nothing against you hoopty, I would get a new one just to be safe, but thats totaly your call.

mikesf4i
Mon Jun 23rd, 2003, 09:24 PM
There was an earlier post on this topic but i couldnt find it. I got a nail in my rear tire with somewhere around 1500 miles on it . I initially plugged it, then pulled the tire and put a patch on the inside (thnx NAPA).This weekend i just turned over 7200 miles on the tire and it hasnt leaked a bit.(I check the psi once a week).

Just found the post under shop experiences co powersports service dept.

Bryce
Tue Jun 24th, 2003, 08:28 AM
if you do rep[air it I would advise patching too much chance of the plug falling out and at 100+ mph either tire going flat can get you dead

TWISTED
Tue Jun 24th, 2003, 10:27 PM
if you do rep[air it I would advise patching too much chance of the plug falling out and at 100+ mph either tire going flat can get you dead

Yeah, dead over a tire plug just doesn't work for me right now, too much stuff to still do. :) Thanks for the help guys. Gotta get it fixed before the weekend! I put aplug in last night just to see if it would keep air and it did. But no confidence in just the plug.

BladeRider
Wed Jun 25th, 2003, 04:37 PM
Another thing to consider with a plug is that it messes with the belts and causes them to spread after installation. This *may* create some stability issues with that part of the tire. A patch doesn't do this, and from last I heard, many tire manufacturers only recommend patching.

I personally don't know if you'd notice the difference or if it even matters, but something to consider when contemplating a replacement.

Tom

speedtriple
Sun Mar 21st, 2004, 04:27 PM
You can also get combination plug/patches at some bike shops. I've used one in my D207 for a few thousand miles without a problem. The plug patch makes it so there isn't a hole or tear for debris to work into while the patch from hte inside actually does the sealing.

KooLaid
Sun Mar 21st, 2004, 06:55 PM
slime tubeless. Works like a charm for smaller punctures. Not sure how well it'll react to the plug/patch though.

BenDover
Sun Mar 21st, 2004, 08:54 PM
Damn! Who's bringing back these 9 month old threads??? :wtf:

KooLaid
Sun Mar 21st, 2004, 08:55 PM
DAYUM, I just now noticed that!!!!!!!!!!

Wahooman
Sun Mar 21st, 2004, 09:07 PM
I would recommend the plug/patch. Being in the auto industry this is the only way to correctly patch a tire. As stated early you get best of both worlds if done correctly. The patch seals it but the plug also helps and keep the hole clean. I would not recommend putting in ANY kind of slime or sealer...that stuff is crap for any tire whether bicycle, car, cycle, etc.... Tires were not made to have fluid in them :D

DenverDuc
Tue Mar 23rd, 2004, 12:32 PM
You only ride on two tires, so fork up a hundred or more bucks and save your life.

KooLaid
Tue Mar 23rd, 2004, 01:22 PM
this post is like almost a YEAR old.....