PDA

View Full Version : MS Excel Help!

InlineSIX24
Tue Feb 17th, 2009, 09:18 AM
Gurus and frequent haters of Excel please help. I have a spreadsheet where I am using a formula to count/tally a bunch of rows in one particular column. I have always double clicked the + drag handle to auto fill the column down the next break but it has stopped working. I copied all of the data into a new spreadsheet and checked that the formula works if you manually drag the + handle down the column and there is no issue there. It is just the double click auto fill that won't work. There is no cell locking or protection turned on. Ideas?... besides stabbing my eyes out?

salsashark
Tue Feb 17th, 2009, 09:23 AM
Which Excel are you using?

InlineSIX24
Tue Feb 17th, 2009, 09:24 AM
It's 2007 in Vista.

salsashark
Tue Feb 17th, 2009, 09:31 AM
Shooting from the hip here because we just got 07 at the office last week and I don't use Excel all that much

Click the windows button --> Excel Options --> Formulas, and check to see which options are checked.

There's a checkbox for auto complete in the advanced tab... just shooting from the hip here...

salsashark
Tue Feb 17th, 2009, 09:38 AM
Are you getting the autofill Icon popping up when you select multiple cells? Maybe it's a new functionality in 07 replacing the double click?

See if this helps: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel/HP012163661033.aspx

Ricky
Tue Feb 17th, 2009, 09:47 AM
likely the cell value you are trying to fill down, is not down fillable. What's the value (or calculation) in the field you are trying to fill from?

If you were to create a new spreadsheet, and in A1 you type 1, and in A2 you type 2, and then try to fill down form there, does it work? (good test to see if it's the cell value or the application settings)

rforsythe
Tue Feb 17th, 2009, 09:49 AM
The issue is simple: Excel is teh debul! I recommend exorcism of your PC to solve it.

InlineSIX24
Tue Feb 17th, 2009, 09:55 AM
Are you getting the autofill Icon popping up when you select multiple cells? Maybe it's a new functionality in 07 replacing the double click?

See if this helps: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/ex...163661033.aspx (http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel/HP012163661033.aspx)

I had checked all of that. I'll keep picking through Q&A stuff online and see if someone has had the same issue. Thanks for the ideas.
I did try a simple 1..2.. w/ autofill and that works so I think something is up w/ my formula. I'm trying filter out cities from a list of about 10,000 phone calls going to different phone numbers with this formula:
=OR(E4529="WICHITA, KS", E4529 ="DENTON, TX", E4529 ="HARLINGEN, TX", E4529 ="BROWNSVL, TX", E4529="LAKE WORTH, TX", E4529="EULESS, TX")

Which is why I really need the autofill working.... and yes Excel is teh debul.

I`m Batman
Tue Feb 17th, 2009, 02:14 PM
Can you import that into some type of DB like SQL or even Access then you can run query against it? (if that's an option... ) You can even automate it.

I`m Batman
Tue Feb 17th, 2009, 02:18 PM
Wait a minute... didn't those list of 10,000 of phone calls came from a DB somewhere? (hopefully someone is not manually typing those in) Couldn't you just query against that DB directly?

I`m Batman
Tue Feb 17th, 2009, 02:20 PM
This might work too.
Ctrl+Shift+Down Arrow then Ctrl+D

MetaLord 9
Tue Feb 17th, 2009, 02:40 PM
You said the formula's not copying or not computing? If it's just not computing, double check under "tools" then "calculations" to make sure that the formula is set to "autotmatic" and not "manual"

InlineSIX24
Tue Feb 17th, 2009, 03:12 PM
Can you import that into some type of DB like SQL or even Access then you can run query against it? (if that's an option... ) You can even automate it.

I don't know database programming so for now it's all Excel. The phone Co. doesn't give us access to their DB. It just shows up as an HTML list that I import into Excel.

You said the formula's not copying or not computing? If it's just not computing, double check under "tools" then "calculations" to make sure that the formula is set to "autotmatic" and not "manual"

Yeah. It's all set to auto. Just a few minutes ago I found out MS' little secret. I copied the formula, deleted it, closed & reopened the doc, and repasted the formula in and it works now. Thank God for Microsoft.:lol::scramble:
Fuckers!