PDA

View Full Version : Places to go shooting in the denver area?

Warren
Wed Feb 18th, 2009, 02:15 PM
So I just bought a new toy, a subcompact XD40 and I am itching to get out and shoot it. I know there are a lot of gun owners on here, are there free places to go shoot within about 1/2 hour of the city or so?

If not where do you guys shoot?

konichd
Wed Feb 18th, 2009, 02:21 PM
The Shootist right off Dartmouth. Decent range but the HVAC system is actually pretty good from talking to a couple engineers I know.

rforsythe
Wed Feb 18th, 2009, 02:24 PM
The indoor places tend to make my lungs burn. I'd recommend the Cherry Creek range. It's in the park, just south of the reservoir. Good range, safe, and lots of fresh air. It's outdoor, but hey the weather should kick ass this weekend anyway.

MikeG
Wed Feb 18th, 2009, 02:25 PM
Also, I'm wondering if anyone knows of any Skeet ranges around the area?

rforsythe
Wed Feb 18th, 2009, 02:27 PM
Creek range has a skeet area IIRC. Been a while since I've shot shotgun there but I believe they have auto-throwers, plus an area where you can toss your own.

salsashark
Wed Feb 18th, 2009, 02:32 PM
You may find some areas up in Boulder Canyon or out 285 near Jefferson. I don't know if you can get there this time of year, but south of Rampart still allows shooting. All of these places are further then a half an hour, but are free.

In town:
Cherry Creek - http://www.familyshootingcenter.com/

Are you looking for skeet or sporting clays? If skeet, Cherry Creek has an auto launcher. If you're looking for sporting clays, check out Kiowa Creek Sporting Club. http://www.kiowacreek.com/

Sully
Wed Feb 18th, 2009, 02:42 PM
How about at my neighbors house ? I'm tired of that old biatch complaining about my music being too loud :321::guns: lol.. whore !

RyNo24
Wed Feb 18th, 2009, 02:43 PM
How about at my neighbors house ? I'm tired of that old biatch complaining about my music being too loud :321::guns: lol.. whore !

We could have a CSC BBQ at your house to REALLY annoy too :D

CYCLE_MONKEY
Wed Feb 18th, 2009, 02:50 PM
I've found that any tall building with a bell tower works just fine.......
.kidding:)

RyNo24
Wed Feb 18th, 2009, 02:53 PM
I've found that any tall building with a bell tower works just fine.......
.kidding:)
There is this Library in Texas that I heard works well too. Also, if the Library is full, there is a grassy area across the street, that some people "think" would work better.

Lol, Kidding too :D

CYCLE_MONKEY
Wed Feb 18th, 2009, 02:56 PM
There is this Library in Texas that I heard works well too. Also, if the Library is full, there is a grassy area across the street, that some people "think" would work better.

Lol, Kidding too :D
Hey, the grassy knoll only works if you're the SECOND shooter. Get it right man!:)

Flip
Wed Feb 18th, 2009, 04:07 PM
Green Mountain Family Shooting Center on West Jewell, just past Wadsworth. Nice people, very clean.

WidowmakerDutch
Wed Feb 18th, 2009, 04:55 PM

When you're done at Sullys you all can come to my house and have a few target shots as well.

dapper
Wed Feb 18th, 2009, 05:17 PM
So I just bought a new toy, a subcompact XD40 and I am itching to get out and shoot it. I know there are a lot of gun owners on here, are there free places to go shoot within about 1/2 hour of the city or so?

If not where do you guys shoot?
5-points & Lodo seam popular.
I-36 & I-25 also seam to be gathering the brass
:lol:

Cars-R-Coffins
Wed Feb 18th, 2009, 05:17 PM
are there free places to go shoot within about 1/2 hour of the city or so?

NO :guns: The closest free public places to shoot are south near Deckers, north near Pawnee Grasslands, or northwest where Hwy 72 qnd Hwy 7 intersect.

MikeG
Wed Feb 18th, 2009, 07:13 PM
You may find some areas up in Boulder Canyon or out 285 near Jefferson. I don't know if you can get there this time of year, but south of Rampart still allows shooting. All of these places are further then a half an hour, but are free.

In town:

Are you looking for skeet or sporting clays? If skeet, Cherry Creek has an auto launcher. If you're looking for sporting clays, check out Kiowa Creek Sporting Club. http://www.kiowacreek.com/

I was looking for skeet. The Cherry Creek site only had trap on there.

Sean
Wed Feb 18th, 2009, 07:30 PM
They sold you a gun.....really?!?!?!?!

As Kidicarus said, whenever we ride Peak to Peak and Hwy 7, there's always people shooting up there. Riding Hwy 7 and shooting...sounds like a little slice of heaven my friend :up:

zetaetatheta
Wed Feb 18th, 2009, 08:57 PM
Anywhere on Colfax during rush-hour:crazy:

salsashark
Wed Feb 18th, 2009, 09:42 PM

Fair enough... I really like Kiowa Creek, but I like the laid back nature of sporting clays. Good times.

Jim_Vess
Wed Feb 18th, 2009, 10:57 PM

In town:

You'd probably get arrested if you did any shooting in Boulder Canyon. The range in Left Hand Canyon has been closed down by the Forest Service because people would leave all the trash they shot up out there.

The Boulder Rifle Club in Boulder is open to the public on the first weekend of the month starting in April through August and then every weekend in September and October. It's not free, but doesn't cost much.

MAZIN
Thu Feb 19th, 2009, 12:39 AM

colorado clays i believe have what your looking for.
www.coloradoclays.com (http://www.coloradoclays.com)

Squisha
Thu Feb 19th, 2009, 09:01 AM
Interesting...I've never used a shotgun but I'd like to learn. How would you characterize the difficulty for a short-to-average female?

MetaLord 9
Thu Feb 19th, 2009, 09:25 AM
Maybe try a server's meeting at the Bull & Bush? :guns:

:dunno:

CYCLE_MONKEY
Thu Feb 19th, 2009, 11:14 AM
Interesting...I've never used a shotgun but I'd like to learn. How would you characterize the difficulty for a short-to-average female?
Well, there' ain't much learning needed for a shotgun unless you're going to try skeet, except perhaps basic safety. It's pretty much the ultimate "point-n-shoot" weapon!:)

Vance
Thu Feb 19th, 2009, 12:12 PM
I'm going shooting Tuesday the 3rd...

Anyone know of a good line on bulk 9mm?
Wal-fart is seemingly perpetually out of the Federal 100rnd bulk boxes anymore with no ETA to ever get them back in.

McVaaahhh
Thu Feb 19th, 2009, 12:51 PM
Green Mountain Family Shooting Center on West Jewell, just past Wadsworth. Nice people, very clean.

Is that place still open?

Buddau
Thu Feb 19th, 2009, 01:28 PM
Left hand canyon is still open, it's just moved back further and they closed off vehicle traffic to the area.
I went shooting there last Sunday and it was a zoo. It was crowded and some crazy people with no common sense were there. I was there a short time before I felt in danger of my life and hurried out of there.
I would not recomend shooting at Lefthand canyon.

Flip
Thu Feb 19th, 2009, 04:46 PM
Is that place still open?

It was K-2 and that is gone. It has re-opened as Green Mountain Family Shooting Center. They tell me it is totally different than K-2.
My Husband and I were there just last Tuesday.

Warren
Thu Feb 19th, 2009, 05:42 PM
They sold you a gun.....really?!?!?!?!

As Kidicarus said, whenever we ride Peak to Peak and Hwy 7, there's always people shooting up there. Riding Hwy 7 and shooting...sounds like a little slice of heaven my friend :up:

I know! It's shocking, I guess anybody really can buy a gun these days.

Thanks for all the advice guys! Now if I could just find some ammo. Everyone is out right now!

Warren
Thu Feb 19th, 2009, 05:43 PM
Maybe try a server's meeting at the Bull & Bush? :guns:

:dunno:

Did you guys have some problems last night :shocked:

pannetron
Thu Feb 19th, 2009, 07:29 PM
http://www.silverbulletshootingrange.com/