PDA

View Full Version : Meet the Uno

FZRguy
Thu Feb 19th, 2009, 10:42 PM
Ben Gulak turns heads from onlookers as he rides past them 'After coming up with the concept I started to build it and now have the first prototype and the reaction has been amazing. 'It has two wheels side by side and that means it is easier to turn as they are completely independent and have their own suspension. 'The bike has a 'neutral point' and when you lean
forward it accelerates to keep the neutral point in the right place. 'It has a couple of gyros and is basically self-balancing - it takes the guesswork out of riding a unicycle. 'The bike takes a bit of getting used to because you have to learn to trust it. But it doesn't take long. 'It takes any weight and weighs 120 lbs and can fit into a lift so you can take it indoors to charge it up. 'Currently it has a top speed of 25mph, but that will be increased greatly with bigger motors. 'It has a range of about 2.5 hours and it is designed for the commute to work through busy towns. I believe this could be electrical alternative to the car. I'm just looking for an investor to help me get it into production.

Kanabiis
Thu Feb 19th, 2009, 10:57 PM
Oh man, that thing is all kinds of pimp.

Its a segway with a kick ass body kit.... bet you if Dean Kamans would have hired this
guy to do the design work that segway would have been a hit. Instead he got his ass kicked by the scooter market.

RyNo24
Thu Feb 19th, 2009, 11:03 PM
re-post,

lol, it is odd though. The ultimate wheelie machine?

http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=21720

RajunCajun
Fri Feb 20th, 2009, 02:14 AM
Hmmm, Fuck that!!! But good luck , I hope people love it! I don't, but I hope you succeed!

I understand that you might be trying to reach a certain market with the body work, but at a max speed of 25pmh, your wasting $ on plastics, except for the look. You don't need them, right. Don't get me wrong, new thinking is great, but it has to be practical to a certain extent, right?

Mother Goose
Fri Feb 20th, 2009, 08:12 AM
Hmmm, Fuck that!!! But good luck , I hope people love it! I don't, but I hope you succeed!

I understand that you might be trying to reach a certain market with the body work, but at a max speed of 25pmh, your wasting $ on plastics, except for the look. You don't need them, right. Don't get me wrong, new thinking is great, but it has to be practical to a certain extent, right?
Jon isn't the one building it. :lol:

CYCLE_MONKEY
Fri Feb 20th, 2009, 08:16 AM
I can't imagine a dumber, more inherently unstable vehicle.

Sean
Fri Feb 20th, 2009, 08:23 AM
I can't imagine a dumber, more inherently unstable vehicle.+1 Commuting? With all of the jack offs that commute, it's only a matter of time before you have to grab a hand full of brakes. What then? I'll pass on this one. :drink:

BigE
Fri Feb 20th, 2009, 08:27 AM
+1 Commuting? With all of the jack offs that commute, it's only a matter of minutes before you have to grab a hand full of brakes. What then? I'll pass on this one. :drink:

After commuting between Loveland and Boulder for 8yrs...fixed it for ya;)

MetaLord 9
Fri Feb 20th, 2009, 08:56 AM
I thought this was gonna be a thread about me... :(

~Barn~
Fri Feb 20th, 2009, 08:59 AM
Do. Not. Want.

I don't doubt that it could be stable with the proper technology, under hard acceleration and braking. But that thing better have 4 or 12 backup gyros, as a failsafe!

Can you imagine having a malfunction whilst grabbing some brake, at speed? :no:

~Barn~
Fri Feb 20th, 2009, 09:00 AM

http://blog.lib.umn.edu/salwa002/architecture/old%20bike.jpg

Mother Goose
Fri Feb 20th, 2009, 10:19 AM
http://blog.lib.umn.edu/salwa002/architecture/old%20bike.jpg
Kris and I saw a guy downtown on one of those. I wanted to see what happened when he had to stop, but we didn't get to. :lol:

rforsythe
Fri Feb 20th, 2009, 11:20 AM

Besides a Kawi? :drink:

I thought the same thing about the Segway, but it's catching on and seems to work pretty well. So, this thing has potential. I'm all for inventive technology; even if this thing doesn't pan out, it might inspire future tech that does.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Fri Feb 20th, 2009, 11:44 AM
Besides a Kawi? :drink:
Hah!:)

I thought the same thing about the Segway, but it's catching on and seems to work pretty well. So, this thing has potential. I'm all for inventive technology; even if this thing doesn't pan out, it might inspire future tech that does.
Well, the Segway has it's own problems. The inherent problem with anything like this or the Segway, is that gyro's are all fine and good, and they DO work.......but only to a point. Also in the Segway's favor are a distinct lack of acceleration and deceleration, and the fact that both those forces can be electronically limited to what the gyro's can conpensate for. On a motorcyle, especially dealing with traffic (sudden turns, starts, stops), the thing would be a complete unsafe nightmare. Just because you CAN do something, doesn't mean you should. I mean, the guy riding on it doesn't look all that confident, does he? Besides, c'mon, the Segway is just stupid anyways. It's the incredibly complex, incredibly expensive answer to the question nobody asked. Amazing Engineering accomplishment, but for naught. I could make a small 4-wheeled device with the same capability for a LOT less money. Kinda like the Lotus vs. the Tesla.:)

BTW, how in the hell did Barn get a spy photo of the new 2010 Yamaha R1 with cross-plane, direct-drive pedal crankshaft?!?!.......:)

FZRguy
Fri Feb 20th, 2009, 05:02 PM
Maybe not real practical, but you gotta give this 18 year old kid some credit. Imagine what he might come up with when he’s 30. And there are no brakes…lean forward to go, lean back to stop.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Sat Feb 21st, 2009, 02:35 PM
Maybe not real practical, but you gotta give this 18 year old kid some credit. Imagine what he might come up with when he’s 30. And there are no brakes…lean forward to go, lean back to stop.
Exactly why the dynamics are so limited.

Like I said, it's the answer to a question nobody asked....or will.:)