PDA

View Full Version : Best of 2008? (600cc Race replicas)

CaptGoodvibes
Sun Feb 22nd, 2009, 06:22 PM
There are a lot of leftovers right now...

I'm curious what you guys think. Please be totally biased but try to gear your answers towards fun and rideability as opposed to graphs, charts, and peak numbers.

Any comments on long distance comfort are also appreciated.

~Barn~
Sun Feb 22nd, 2009, 06:49 PM
The Daytona (by Triumph).

rybo
Sun Feb 22nd, 2009, 06:50 PM
The 600rr is one of the easiest to ride bikes I've ever been on. Excellent power delivery, surprising midrange for a 600 and super rider / bike integration.

It is amazing to me how seamless that bike is. Smooth on the throttle, no huge steps in the powerband. Excellent brakes, decent suspension from the factory (the weak link on this bike is the rear shock..)

It is my first pick for 600s

Graphite675
Sun Feb 22nd, 2009, 07:23 PM
I'm a bit biased because I own one but the Triumph 675 is a great bike. It's just a fun bike to ride, handles great and has a little extra grunt down low that the other 600's don't have.

I will be honest though, if you looking for a long distance bike this is not it. It's more at home on the track or twisties. Long distance rides can be Uncomfortable. It has a more aggressive riding position then the other bikes and the suspension is set up a bit stiff in stock form. My second choice would be the R6, but again more track oriented.

rforsythe
Sun Feb 22nd, 2009, 07:26 PM
The 600rr is one of the easiest to ride bikes I've ever been on. Excellent power delivery, surprising midrange for a 600 and super rider / bike integration.

It is amazing to me how seamless that bike is. Smooth on the throttle, no huge steps in the powerband. Excellent brakes, decent suspension from the factory (the weak link on this bike is the rear shock..)

But does it gain as much altitude as the R6?

CaptGoodvibes
Sun Feb 22nd, 2009, 07:31 PM
I wanted to add the 675 but I get a backache just test sitting on it. ;)

Gramps
Sun Feb 22nd, 2009, 07:39 PM
I bought the Kawi after riding all the others except the Honda. Just not a Honda fan.

The Kawi felt the best to me. Pretty easy to do the jumper mod and gain the extra ponies. I don't mind the look.

They are all good bikes with some amazing technology.

I like the gear indicator on the Kawi as well

:)

Matty
Sun Feb 22nd, 2009, 08:33 PM

:imwithstupid:

ChrisCBX
Sun Feb 22nd, 2009, 08:39 PM
There are several great 600's out there.

My personal fav would be the 675 Triumph. My wife has a Street Triple and I can imagine it's great engine in a full sport bike.

The Street Triple has a lot of the 675's capability with a more comfortable riding position. Its a good "real world" choice for people that are more street oriented.

~Barn~
Sun Feb 22nd, 2009, 09:00 PM
You mention rideability, etc, so obviously you're thinking real world here.

I haven't ridden any of the '08s, but historically Honda 600's have always be the easiet to go fast on, but pretty much dead-well perfect for street riding. It's kind of a weird balance that they put into their street bikes, being so comfy and accomodating for riding, but then when it's time to dial up the race in ya, they just work.

Anyway.... they never have given me wood from the looks department, but it is what it is. The Daytona is dead sexy IMO, and I've never heard anything negative about it, in the mechanicals dept. That's why I think it's the one to own. Good luck with your purchase!

:Jealous:

Kitten
Sun Feb 22nd, 2009, 09:10 PM
I love my 600rr. It's been a great bike for the street and the track. I am not so sure that any of them are great for long distances, but if you want a long distance bike I would recommend the gold wing. Let me know if you have any specific questions about the 600rr.

rybo
Sun Feb 22nd, 2009, 09:40 PM
But does it gain as much altitude as the R6?

ummm...not sure, but the landings are MUCH softer... :shocked:

(just so the original author knows, I had a bit of a run with highsiding R6's in the past couple years at the race track. and, well before anyone else brings it up a TZ125, which takes some real talent, but that being said I asked Yamaha at one point if they had a "frequent flyer" program. They told me if I had evidence that I had actually flown a mile.....)

asp_125
Sun Feb 22nd, 2009, 09:59 PM
Street Triple... best alternative to the Speed Triple. :up:

salsashark
Sun Feb 22nd, 2009, 09:59 PM
Another vote for the 675. It's a beautiful machine. While I couldn't ride it myself, I prefer the Street/Speed triple seating positions. A bit less stressful on my jacked up back. I did test ride a 675 last year and if you're looking for a twisty machine, this one is a blast. I wouldn't want to take it on any long trips though.

I'm a bit partial towards Triumphs. I love me some 3 cylinder machines!

CaptGoodvibes
Sun Feb 22nd, 2009, 10:25 PM
Street Triple... best alternative to the Speed Triple. :up:

yeah well... you keep that ice workin' and I'll come try your bike next time it's warm to see if I can handle the seating position...

Sean
Mon Feb 23rd, 2009, 08:14 AM
I don't have the most educated opinion on this board, but i'll offer my .02. For me, they seem pretty comperable. Size, power, handeling and weight are generally very similar, at least to me (although I've never highsided an R6).

I'm an okay rider and it still feels like personal preference at this point b/c I'm not even pushing the bike to it's full potential; which is where some distinctive charectaristics may come into play. But it does seem like a lot of people feel more comfortable on a certain one. For me, the CBR (while being a great bike) just doesn't feel as comfortable as an R6. Maybe it's how the seat is angled or the handlebars are slightly different, I'm not sure, but it doesn't feel as relaxed. So, while I like my Yamaha's; sit on a bunch, if you can ride a bunch, and come up with your own conclusion. They are all amazing bikes and the biggest factor in having a fast bike, is the rider. Good luck with your choice!

konichd
Mon Feb 23rd, 2009, 08:40 AM
Honda period. It was bike of the year in 07-08 and I can see why. I'm a die-hard Kawi guy but after riding ALL of the above listed bikes the Honda hands down. I like the gixxer, but do you want people to think you're ghey? I really like the R6 but the riding position is probably the most aggressive out of the 4 major jap brands. The Kawi does everything pretty well, but everytime I'm asked which I prefer I point to the Honda :)

MetaLord 9
Mon Feb 23rd, 2009, 08:48 AM
I think a lot of it depends on what you wanna do with it. If you want to stunt it, then grab a gixxer, but if you're gonna go more track oriented, I would lean more towards the Kawi's & Yammi's. The Honda's also a pretty good all around bike from what I've heard. The Kawi's my personal fav, but I've got the 07 version of that bike & they changed virutally nothing from 07 to 08, so I'm heavily biased. The powerband on the Kawi's really nice once you get up there, but its lower end leaves a bit to be desired. This is because they designed the bike to spend a lot of its life on the track. Gyro's are also go on that bike. /$.02

Sean
Mon Feb 23rd, 2009, 12:07 PM
Just saw this while I was 'working'. It's for 2009, but maybe it'll help?
http://www.motorcycle.com/shoot-outs/2009-supersport-shootout-87967.html

Airreed
Mon Feb 23rd, 2009, 12:12 PM
My vote is for the CBR 600rr, all around great bike!
((I too am looking for a 600 to put in the stable...but i'm going with a 600rr....now if the dude on Craigslist would ever respond back to me...)

asp_125
Mon Feb 23rd, 2009, 12:32 PM
Track day ride or quick carve up Hwy7? R6 or 600RR
Ride to Aspen for lunch or Durango for the weekend? Gixxer

CaptGoodvibes
Mon Feb 23rd, 2009, 08:18 PM
Track day ride or quick carve up Hwy7? R6 or 600RR
Ride to Aspen for lunch or Durango for the weekend? Gixxer

You know. All day on the bike... all summer long. 200-400 mile days... depending...

Gixxer? Really? Team Gixxer? :slappers:

Everything I've read says the Honda is the most comfortable. And the deal is going to come into play because I'm not made of money. So, who's seen a pile of leftover '08 Gixxers with '09's already on the floor?

dirkterrell
Mon Feb 23rd, 2009, 08:58 PM
You know. All day on the bike... all summer long. 200-400 mile days... depending...

Gixxer? Really? Team Gixxer? :slappers:

There is no way I could ride all day on my Gixxer. This I can ride all day:

http://www.boulder.swri.edu/%7Eterrell/bikes/vfr.jpg

Dirk

asp_125
Mon Feb 23rd, 2009, 09:15 PM
Yes... in a perfect world .. we'd have more than one bike. Wait.. I do.

The VFR is the sweet spot for all day sporty riding.

Team Gixxer? :slappers: only if we get matching colors.

How 'bout this? http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=29327

bennice
Mon Feb 23rd, 2009, 09:36 PM
You said to be biased, so I'll pick the ZX6R. :)

In '08 though, I think the Daytona was the hottest 600(ish) bike on the market.

For those long rides, my current dream bike would be a C14.

BigE
Tue Feb 24th, 2009, 08:23 AM
Triumph 675. Daytona or Street Triple. Yea the daytona is a rack but the same as the Japanese supersports IMHO. The Street Triple with the upright seating is awesome!

Ninja Nate
Tue Feb 24th, 2009, 04:49 PM
Triumph Daytona!

Think
Tue Feb 24th, 2009, 05:11 PM
CBR all the way. Although the 675 is wayyyy sexy.