PDA

View Full Version : Friend got reckless driving ticket...

LambeauXLIV
Mon Feb 23rd, 2009, 01:11 AM
He was testing his friend's R1 and was pulled over doing about 140.

The officer never clocked him and never told him how fast he was going, just saying that he was going "too damn fast."

It's an 8 pt ticket and would cause him to lose his license, so I told him he should probably see a lawyer...any suggestions/advice?

Thanks

MAZIN
Mon Feb 23rd, 2009, 04:58 AM
The lawyer is a good Idea, I have a 15 pt ticket before I had my license and with the right Lawyer and about 3-4 grand he should be cool. Btw got it beat down to a 2pt.

Bueller
Mon Feb 23rd, 2009, 05:35 AM
He should count himself lucky that is all he got

Aracheon
Mon Feb 23rd, 2009, 06:47 AM

+1

SamuraiX
Mon Feb 23rd, 2009, 07:06 AM
Don't you know that shit needs TESTED sometimes officer? Now get out the way. :headbang:

Spiderman
Mon Feb 23rd, 2009, 07:30 AM
He ... was pulled over doing about 140.
It's an 8 pt ticket and would cause him to lose his license, so I told him he should probably see a lawyer...any suggestions/advice?
Don't get caught doing 140? Especially when you've don't have all your points. :dunno:
</sarcasm>

... :imwithstupid:

GixxerCarrie
Mon Feb 23rd, 2009, 07:45 AM
They have online school courses....That's how I got out of my last Parker running a red light....from 4 down to 1. The class is $40 and it shows that you attempted to do something about it. Also alot cheaper than a lawyer. You can go in and try and deal without a lawyer, and, if they won't...then continue it and get one.

Just my 2 cents. That's what worked for me.

LambeauXLIV
Mon Feb 23rd, 2009, 08:09 AM
Thanks for the input.
I would've thought that since both him and I went to imi on saturday, he would have gotten it out of his system...

rforsythe
Mon Feb 23rd, 2009, 08:41 AM
Eesh. He's lucky it wasn't worse, like a 12pt and possible impounding.

Aside from a lawyer, your friend needs to be prepared to kiss some serious ass. Show up in a suit/be groomed/don't smell bad, offer to take a defensive driving course if they don't suggest it, etc. DON'T show up acting all entitled to the points on the license, as this only incites contempt in the judge heart, and they will make an example of your buddy if they don't like the attitude. Beyond that he'll be at the mercy of whoever goes over his case, even with a lawyer.

LambeauXLIV
Mon Feb 23rd, 2009, 08:44 AM
Unfortunately, right now he has 6 pts on deferment, and 2 pts on his license...

rforsythe
Mon Feb 23rd, 2009, 08:48 AM

Ah. He's fucked then. I am not sure if they're giving out the restricted licenses anymore, so I suggest buying into bus fare.

LambeauXLIV
Mon Feb 23rd, 2009, 08:52 AM
lol...poor guy

TFOGGuys
Mon Feb 23rd, 2009, 08:52 AM

The officer never clocked him and never told him how fast he was going, just saying that he was going "too damn fast."

Thanks

What jurisdiction? In my recent experience, Denver= teh suck! Jeffco, not so much.

Concerning deferment, a decent lawyer may be able to get enough continuances that the deferment expires...just a thought.

Ricky
Mon Feb 23rd, 2009, 08:55 AM
Depends on your history. I had nothing for 2 years and got a reckless driving ticket last summer. No lawyer necessary. I just went to court and they halved it and I got away with 4pt careless driving. This was in Thornton

LambeauXLIV
Mon Feb 23rd, 2009, 08:57 AM
pueblo is the county

Spiderman
Mon Feb 23rd, 2009, 08:59 AM
Ouch! :banghead:

I know this doesn't help now, but I say it again:

Don't get caught doing 140? Especially when you've don't have all your points.

Ralph's advice is good. If he's lucky, the ADA may be willing to make a deal. That might depend on the notes the officer put on the back of the ticket regarding your friend's attitude/demeanor, etc. - I've actually had an ADA tell me the CSP officer noted that I was aggressive/argumentative/or-some-such-bullshit when I was polite & courteous, but persistent in trying to get him to be lenient. Another time, I got clocked doing 105 on I-25 near Ft. Collins, and negotiated it with the ADA down to 2-pts (from 8, IIRC), and a non-moving violation, because I was well dressed (I was the only non-lawyer there that was wearing a suit!), polite & persisted with the ADA, and after some discussion, felt it was worth a shot to ask if paying a higher fine would reduce my points (I think I had a clean driving record at the time, and he had initially offered me a 3 points careless violation). Lucky for me, it worked out.

With only 2 points left, and 6 already on deferrment, I wish your friend the best of luck.

rforsythe
Mon Feb 23rd, 2009, 09:02 AM
BTW my advice was speaking from experience. When I got clocked doing something "similar" in a much "lower" speed limit years ago, the only reason I didn't go to jail was because I didn't fight the cop on the ticket; likewise the DA/judge were aware of this and lowered my points accordingly. I made sure they knew that I knew how stupid I had been, and that it would never happen again. Humility will go a long way in keeping your license...

GixxerCarrie
Mon Feb 23rd, 2009, 01:23 PM
Yeah the police officer wrote that I was rather cooperative on the back of the ticket also...which helped with the DA. I agree....kissing ass in this situation goes a long, long way.

Firestorm1117
Tue Feb 24th, 2009, 12:59 AM
Sounds like an idiot.....O crap,wait a second...are you talking about me?!?

RajunCajun
Tue Feb 24th, 2009, 01:30 AM

That's exactly what I was thinking!!:applause:

But, I guess most of us have tried that once or twice...

Good luck kissing ass and being OOber humble, begging helps too!

LambeauXLIV
Tue Feb 24th, 2009, 08:13 AM
You just had to chime in...didn't you?

DARK ANGEL
Tue Feb 24th, 2009, 08:53 PM

Thanks

dont do 140.

LambeauXLIV
Tue Feb 24th, 2009, 08:56 PM
Thank you captain obvious...:roll:

R6Blake101
Tue Feb 24th, 2009, 09:15 PM
Good luck to ur buddy dude!!! I'm not really familiar with all the points, but I haven't got any ticket for the past 5yrs...Luck I say.

LambeauXLIV
Tue Feb 24th, 2009, 09:27 PM
Thanks