PDA

View Full Version : 28 31 53 19 03 - 25

dm_gsxr
Mon Feb 23rd, 2009, 07:49 AM
Got nabbed this morning :)

Normally I head down Lowell to 7 and eventually to 287 to get to work. While it is a few minutes longer, it's off of the main road so I can enjoy the morning and evening ride. Occasionally when I'm running a little later than usual (I get in at around 7am +/- 5 minutes), I'll head straight to 287 via Dillan.

One of the problems with the main road of course is all the traffic. So when I have the opportunity, I'll scoot into the front and hang out there. This morning was no exception. I was able to get in front and stay in front of traffic without too much trouble (I'm on Rita's Ninja 650R this week; winter rotation).

The other problem is this one short stretch between Lafayette and Erie where, if I'm in the front, I like to take the twisties at a slightly elevated speed :D As I topped out at the light at 7, *woooOOooooo*; check the mirrors, yep, State Traffic Enforcement Cop right behind me.

I remembered some of the comments here and raised my left arm to show I saw him and started moving over to the side. I put the kickstand down, turned off the engine and as he approached, put my helmet on the mirror and took off my gloves.

"Do you know it's 50mph in that section?"

"Yes sir"

"I'll need to see your license, registration, and proof of insurance."

Shoot, I'm on Rita's Ninja and I'm not sure I have it on me. Fumble, fumble. I find 5 or 6 insurance cards, of which 3 of them are expired. All of them are for my bikes as well. "This is my wife's bike and it appears I forgot to grab the paperwork this morning."

"Well, let me see one of your insurance cards and your license. No, that one's expired, ah here's one, thanks."

I put the rest away after checking again to see if I have it.

He comes back, "I'm giving you a warning, you weren't going that fast. 62 in a 50. How's that Ninja on gas mileage? Better than a car?"

"Honestly I don't know. It's my wife's bike. I don't normally ride it but it's up in the winter cycle."

"Ah. On your way to work?"

"Yep, up in Longmont."

"Ok, then be careful."

"Yes sir, thank you sir. Drive safe."

:eek: :eek:

So let's recap. 62 in a 50, no proof of insurance for the bike (I had the others) and no registration.

I'd say it was time for the lottery but I think I'm fresh out of luck this morning.

Carl

XJ600s
Mon Feb 23rd, 2009, 08:08 AM
What road did this happen on? Erie cop or Lafayette/Boulder cop? Thats definitely a luck thing, maybe you should go buy a lottery ticket, I mean how do you know you're out of luck? And its always a sigh of relief when they say heres my card, because you know that you're getting off with a warning! :)

I've been pulled over on Arapahoe, between 119th and County Line Road twice. First time was a week after I got my bike, was going 55 in the 40mph zone. He was coming towards me and flipped a uey to nab me. I pulled over, extremely fidgety, couldn't get my helmet off, nor my gloves, forgot to ask to get off my bike to take my seat off to get my paperwork. Got off with a warning because it was snowing and the cop wanted me to make it back to Boulder safely.

Second time, same stretch. 51 in the 40mph in my lifted xterra. I had been drinking all night, but was fine to drive (or so I thought). This cop was a dick. But I had also just been cleaning out my truck and updating my insurance/proof of registration. So I had it sitting by my door, but left in a hurry so I forgot to grab it. Plus, I was on my second date with the girl I've been dating now for 8 weeks (lets just say that being pulled over and given a sobriety test makes you look like a badass and turned this girl on because of the close encounter). I had to do an entire sobriety test and because he was a foot shorter than i, he was a jerk about everything (making me count to 21 with one leg in the air, following his pen without my glasses and a flashlight pointed in my eyes (i'm blind without my glasses by the way)). After a 40 minute sobriety test, and 4 other officers watching this go down, they give me a breathalyzer. .024. For a second I freaked thinking thats way more than .08. Then I realized that 80 is greater than 24, and was fine. Got back in the car with a warning.

I think there is something to say about being polite, saying yes sir, and accepting that you could get royally screwed and thanking the officer for doing a good job. I mean afterall, if it weren't you, you'd definitely like them to pull over that moron who speeds past you at 20 over the limit, right?

edit: ahh, just realized that the title of the post are your lotto numbers...

stimacsays
Mon Feb 23rd, 2009, 08:08 AM
Nice! Some of them are Officers, some are Cops, and some are PIGs.

CHRISTIAN COWBOY
Mon Feb 23rd, 2009, 08:09 AM
thank goodness you werent going 140!!!:hump:

Devaclis
Mon Feb 23rd, 2009, 08:13 AM
IB4 "All cops are dicks"

Good on ya Carl. Most police officers I have spoken too will pull over anyone going 11MPH or more over. That DOES NOT mean they will ticket you :)

Sean
Mon Feb 23rd, 2009, 08:18 AM
Cool cop. It's nice to hear stuff like this every now and then. I think bikes should get a 0-15 over leeway as opposed to in a car 0-10 over. Did you take your helmet off? Just wondering if it does make a difference or not?

dm_gsxr
Mon Feb 23rd, 2009, 08:21 AM
What road did this happen on?

287 between Boulder County Road? The one by ACE and 7

Erie cop or Lafayette/Boulder cop?State cop (the one that says "Traffic Enforcement" on it).

I've been pulled over on Arapahoe, between 119th and County Line Road twice.I got that one about 2 months ago. And I passed the Boulder cop on that little bit of double yellow.

I think there is something to say about being polite, saying yes sir, and accepting that you could get royally screwed and thanking the officer for doing a good job. I mean afterall, if it weren't you, you'd definitely like them to pull over that moron who speeds past you at 20 over the limit, right?Honestly I'm more concerned about the guy going 20mph faster than traffic (I was just at the front of the pack, there was a guy in a pickup that was keeping up with me and the rest of traffic wasn't all that far behind).

But yea, being polite never hurts and on my third warning, it can help :D

edit: ahh, just realized that the title of the post are your lotto numbers...I don't play the lottery but I figured it was good for a joke :D

Carl

dm_gsxr
Mon Feb 23rd, 2009, 08:22 AM
thank goodness you werent going 140!!!:hump:

Yea I saw that post right below mine :D

dm_gsxr
Mon Feb 23rd, 2009, 08:29 AM
Cool cop. It's nice to hear stuff like this every now and then. I think bikes should get a 0-15 over leeway as opposed to in a car 0-10 over. Did you take your helmet off? Just wondering if it does make a difference or not?

I did take my helmet off but I don't know if it made a difference. I was tempted to ask but didn't want to push my luck. He was very friendly though :)

Carl

dirkterrell
Mon Feb 23rd, 2009, 09:06 AM
The other problem is this one short stretch between Lafayette and Erie where, if I'm in the front, I like to take the twisties at a slightly elevated speed :D

Yep, I know exactly where you're talking about. :D The 1000R loves those turns.

Dirk

wankel7
Mon Feb 23rd, 2009, 01:43 PM
I got pulled over in Edgewater doing 40 in a 30 in my focus. He gave me a warning! Whew!