PDA

View Full Version : Phil Long Ford Repairs Car (Yeah right)

modette99
Mon Feb 23rd, 2009, 06:47 PM

Tipys
Mon Feb 23rd, 2009, 07:09 PM
Moddette its good to hear you didnt get hurt that doesnt look like it would have been fun to drive like that. Phil Long has some real good people there they should make it right. If they dont shoot me a PM and I will see what I can do I know some people with the Phil Long group

salsashark
Mon Feb 23rd, 2009, 07:40 PM
Well hell... there's yer problem right there!

all kidding aside, glad you all are unharmed.

modette99
Mon Feb 23rd, 2009, 08:00 PM

eklew
Mon Feb 23rd, 2009, 08:03 PM
Dang, glad you are okay. Looks like they did not tighten the bolt where the ball joint and the knuckle meet up. Hope they take care of it. At least they did not blame it on another warranty issue.

The Black Knight
Mon Feb 23rd, 2009, 08:23 PM
Modette,

I had a similar problem when I had my 07 Focus. Since I had the two years of free maintenance(i.e. oil changes, tire rotation) I figured I might as well use them if anything just because it's free. Except the dealer I used was the Phil Long Ford in Motor City.

Well I took the car in to get the tires rotated and oil changed. I didn't even have 1000 miles since my trip to them and I lost two LUG NUTS from my left rear wheel. Now had this been a 5 lug pattern I wouldn't have been too pissed. But since it's a 4 lug wheel, I was a little hot under the collar knowing I only had two lugs left(because this would have a been a disaster had the wheel come off while going down the road). And they weren't across from each other either. They were side by side. So I immediately took the car over to the dealership(I was out and about the day I noticed it). And made them give me a new lock lug(which I lost) and re-torque all the wheels over again.

Freakin mechanic came out and said, "well I only used the impact gun to put the lugs on." The guy didn't even use a damn torque wrench, and you'd think a dealer with a certified FORD mechanice would at least used a torque wrench. Funny thing is, when I took my Silverado over to Big O Tires to have some new rubber put on it, their regular tire techs used a torque wrench to make sure everything was done right. Big O' Tires out peformed Ford.

Now, I never let anyone work on my vehicle regardless of what's being done(tire rotation or other work) without me being able to watch them and keep an eye on them. Sucks that you have to be that way but you can't trust anyone(dealer or otherwise) anymore....

Tipys
Mon Feb 23rd, 2009, 08:33 PM
Hey just cause the guy worked at ford doesnt make him ford certifed probly just a quick lane tech. Which would be the same as Big O you just got the better one when you went to big o

krod
Mon Feb 23rd, 2009, 08:34 PM
I am a ASE cert, master tech. I have not used a torque wrench to tighten lug nuts in 10 years and have yet to see a tire fall off. That was caused by a ball joint, bolt and nut not being tighted down. They should take care of this.

The Black Knight
Mon Feb 23rd, 2009, 09:32 PM
Hey just cause the guy worked at ford doesnt make him ford certifed probly just a quick lane tech. Which would be the same as Big O you just got the better one when you went to big o
He may have been quick lane but still, two lugs came off. You can make all the excuses you want for someone. But if a wheel comes off while you're going down the road there's not telling what could happen. Because not only do you have to worry about the damage that gets caused to you own vehicle but what about when your wheel that came off decides to smack another car or pedestrian? Granted one could speculate all day but I've seen what can happen when a tire/wheel does come off and it's not pretty or funny.

I am a ASE cert, master tech. I have not used a torque wrench to tighten lug nuts in 10 years and have yet to see a tire fall off.
Well I'm sure that use of a torque wrench on wheels isn't required as long as you have a strong enough impact gun. But it's sure nice to torque wheels down to the correct specs. If anything for the safety factor.

As for seeing wheels come off, I happen to watch an 18 Wheeler on I70 going through Kansas lose his left rear duals at 70mph. Both tires/wheels once they came off then sped up ahead of the truck. One crashed into a jersey barrier and flew up in the air and landed on the highway ROW. The second actually went down a hill next to the highway, managed to keep it's speed, come back on the highway and almost smashed into the vehicle I was in. The second wheel also smacked into a jersey barrier and shot wildly all over the interstate. It made a mess to say the least.

I'm not saying I'm Mr. By the Book at all times. But I think when it comes to torquing down wheels so they don't come off, it's probably something that shouldnt' be overlooked(for safety reasons).

krod
Mon Feb 23rd, 2009, 09:51 PM
Most impact guns are rated over 200fp thats well over recommended torque specs. The reason you should not use air guns is they tend to over tighten and strip out the lug bolts. A tractor-trailer that lost a wheel is a common problem not because of loose lug nuts its caused by overloading...... Diesel is expensive. I agree you should follow the manufactuer specs.,but don't be so quick to throw the tech under the bus we all make mistakes. I am sure Phill Long will handle this properly.

The Black Knight
Mon Feb 23rd, 2009, 09:57 PM
Most impact guns are rated over 200fp thats well over recommended torque specs. The reason you should not use air guns is they tend to over tighten and strip out the lug bolts. A tractor-trailer that lost a wheel is a common problem not because of loose lug nuts its caused by overloading...... Diesel is expensive. I agree you should follow the manufactuer specs.,but don't be so quick to throw the tech under the bus we all make mistakes. I am sure Phill Long will handle this properly.
Oh I never threw the tech under the bus. In fact I really wasn't upset at all with him when I went back. I mainly got ticked because of the way the Supervisor was conducting herself. She could tell I was mad because of the problem that could have happened. And she just shrugged it off as well "you're just complaining to complain type", which wasn't the case as I wouldn't have been in there if I still had all 4 of my lug nuts. My main grip was just getting another lock lug and a re-torque and I'd be on my way. Which they did but with the supervisor making some faces in the process HAHA.

Yeah I hope Modette gets it sorted out. I can say I'm not pleased with Phil Long and not just because of my incident but with the way they do business as well.

modette99
Tue Feb 24th, 2009, 10:20 AM

IT WASN'T ME!
Tue Feb 24th, 2009, 11:02 AM
Stay away from Phil Long Chappel Hills! They will rip you off. They will tell you anything you want to hear, and then blow you off when it's time to deliver. When you try to take it up the chain of command, they stonewall you and there is no available method to contact the top managers / owners. I have been told that FL Chappel Hills and FL Motor City are two seperate entities under different ownership, but I don't know for sure.

modette99
Tue Feb 24th, 2009, 12:36 PM

Slo
Tue Feb 24th, 2009, 01:15 PM
Well mistakes happen, good thing that you didn't get hurt, but seems like they are trying to work with you and make things right. Sounds to me like they are doing everything that they should already and plus some.

I bought a bike recently, brake reservoir cover was left unsecured, spilled all over the windscreen and forks, went back in, they replaced the parts needed, and I went on my way, no big deal, yes that could have been a near death experience especially since I was debating going to IMI that day. But it wasn't and I didn't get hurt, didn't need any more compensation, just for them to make things right and they did.

I think your point of "punishing" the dealership is a little overboard. I am sure they are well aware of what could have happened.

VFR
Tue Feb 24th, 2009, 02:07 PM
Hummm,

I have seen 3 cars in the Springs alone have their axle pop out while making turns....

tummmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Bashed
Tue Feb 24th, 2009, 04:01 PM
Well mistakes happen, good thing that you didn't get hurt, but seems like they are trying to work with you and make things right.

I think your point of "punishing" the dealership is a little overboard. I am sure they are well aware of what could have happened.

I agree with Slo1299 on this. I see you do some work of your own here.

http://www.coweekendroadwarriors.com/

Karma will bite you someday, just say'in.

krod
Tue Feb 24th, 2009, 08:42 PM
Anyone looking for a good shop at reasonable prices (well below factory) give me a call. All work comes with a 2 year 24000 mile warranty. Kimmer auotmotive. 303-693-1400. ASE certified. ASA certified. BBB member, and on Tom Martino's ask a mechanic talk show.

Bueller
Wed Feb 25th, 2009, 05:49 AM
Anyone looking for a good shop at reasonable prices (well below factory) give me a call. All work comes with a 2 year 24000 mile warranty. Kimmer auotmotive. 303-693-1400. ASE certified. ASA certified. BBB member, and on Tom Martino's ask a mechanic talk show.
Fuckin' spammer!

modette99
Wed Feb 25th, 2009, 07:38 AM

Filo
Wed Feb 25th, 2009, 09:14 AM
Sorry, Mark, I am going to have to agree with Slo & Co on their take. It does suck, it could have hurt you quite badly, but all the shop owes you is to fix the damage caused by their mistake, in my opinion. I am not trying to slam you personally so please don't take offense, but it is the same sort of thinking that leads to multi million dollar lawsuits against McDonalds because someone spill coffee in their lap. It is understandable to be very angry with the shop and want to punish them. Hoping to punish the dealership for their mistake will have no positive gain for anyone involved, including you.

Glad to see that no one was hurt as a result of the mistake. You can try that spammer Krod's shop, but make sure you don't go on the "mechanics in thongs day", since it is really kind of nasty and more aimed more at the over 40 cougar crowd.

Mental
Wed Feb 25th, 2009, 11:23 AM
...Plus I took my Ford Focus ST to them for an alignment and while they had it in there I walked around and looked at vehicles. Some sales guy comes up to me and I let him know my vehicle is in for maintenance and I'm just killing time. I talk to the guy and am amazed he does not know what a Ford GT40 is, at first he things it is a Mustang...I was in shock. I actually told him he needs to Google it. He then is upfront with me and says, "this is only a job I know nothing of cars I just sell them".

I can tell you, I would never ever buy a car from a salesman that knows nothing of at least the vehicles he sales. Then again I see that at motorcycle dealerships all the time *shrug*...

Slight hijack, but the reality of the public is that enthusiast make up less that 10% of the car buying population, and of those, most buy older stuff and modify it themselves. Most peaple walk into a dealership and now they want a van, or car or truck and thats about it. You can quote HP figures, milage G-loading ability and the like and they will stare at you dumbfounded. But show them the cool auto open doors with the remote, DVD players and the like and bing, sale. Salepeaple are salesmen, hence their sale knowledge is more important than product knowledge.

Back in 91 I was selling Toyotas and sucked at it. I could tell you why the twin cam was better and how you should get the V6 pickup instead but in the end most peaple want to show up, be shown a cool car, pick the color and leave.

modette99
Wed Feb 25th, 2009, 01:49 PM

Filo
Wed Feb 25th, 2009, 02:11 PM
Maybe I should sell my services so people can save money.

I *think* you said this as a joke (hard to tell on the internet) but in today's economic environment it may be a great idea. Last down turn a female friend was buying a new car and asked me to go with her because 1) she hated haggling and 2) she thought they would try to take advantage of a single female. After that we joked that I should start a business as a "Man for hire" for big ticket purchases. Same idea. I say go for it if you have the personality to haggle for a $100 of a washing machine at best buy.

modette99
Wed Feb 25th, 2009, 03:36 PM

G35CO
Wed Feb 25th, 2009, 05:01 PM
Phil Long is the worst dealership i dealt with. I will never buy a car from them or get it fixed. I had to deal with there poor skills for several years wile my wife car was under the warranty. They forgot to connect parts and they preform services you didn't ask. Luckily i know how to work on cars so when they try to use there lies it didn't work on me.

Glad to hear you are OK.

krod
Thu Feb 26th, 2009, 08:05 PM
Fuckin' spammer!

Shit I thought we were friends :violin:

modette99
Fri Feb 27th, 2009, 03:40 PM

Shea
Fri Feb 27th, 2009, 03:54 PM
How many here agree that it is the BRAKE LINE in the photo's???

You mean the thing actually holding the wheel to the car? Yeah that's the brake line.

modette99
Fri Feb 27th, 2009, 04:05 PM

Shea
Fri Feb 27th, 2009, 04:09 PM
From Frame, to strut, to caliper...that cable is the brake line right!

Yup

modette99
Fri Feb 27th, 2009, 05:43 PM

RyNo24
Sat Feb 28th, 2009, 12:10 PM
I would take it to another shop right away when you get it back to get it looked over. Have them make sure the alignment is spot on, and everything else looks kosher.

Okay heard back, maybe I misunderstood Steve Lacy while I was trying to drive my manual car (don't you hate trying to shift and drive at the same time...LOL). They replaced both ABS and the Brake line. I guess everything was spot on in the alignment so I get the car back tomorrow. I'll post the results....

So far two thumbs up on them trying to do the right thing...well they keep me as a customer, that is hard to say I see we are stuck with Phil Long in Springs as a Ford dealer. Medved Ford is up in Castle Rock so it is not that far away from Monument so I guess I might try them out. Sucks Phil Long has a monopoly on CO Springs area.

eklew
Sat Feb 28th, 2009, 08:59 PM
Did the wheel/tire being set back cause any body damage to the fender or right lower apron area? I agree with Ryno24 as far as having someone else take a look at it to make sure all is okay.

modette99
Sun Mar 1st, 2009, 03:25 PM

RyNo24
Sun Mar 1st, 2009, 06:57 PM
If you want to make the drive, Courtesy Ford as C-470 and Broadway also has the Autonation Body shop in the complex. They could probably give the frame a once over. You could probably tell them what happened, because those other shops will usually take of you to try and win your business.