PDA

View Full Version : Laid my bike down in sharp turn.

R6biker122
Wed Feb 25th, 2009, 01:18 AM
So today was a disasterous event for my bike and myself. As i was coming up morrison from C470 around 4pm i warmed up on some turns with my new tires. when i hit the 4th turn i was going a little too fast and went to stand the bike straight up so i could break. as i did so i leaned the bike over hitting a Shit load of gravel. i slid through the right hand turn and low sided my bike swerving into oncoming traffic. as i did my jeans immedietley ripped and a gouge the size of my thumbnail was taken out of my kneecap. i continued to slide until i reached the other side of the road on the shoulder. Good thing i was wearing a leather jacket and gloves and a helmet or else my shoulder would be totally F'ed up/ Right now i am overwhelmed. My knee is stitched up and i am contemplating how i could have died. The doctors actually picked a piece of broken glass out of my knee as well. so Be careful out there guys. Death is defintely a possibility and was made real to me today. Ride safe! i will prolly have pics up tomorrow. :)

Think
Wed Feb 25th, 2009, 01:36 AM
Glad you're alright. Now the real question, how's the bike?

Edit: I was kidding about the bike comment...

MikeG
Wed Feb 25th, 2009, 01:45 AM
Glad to hear you are ok!

GixxerCarrie
Wed Feb 25th, 2009, 05:44 AM
It does make you think...Glad to hear your ok.

FZ1Guy
Wed Feb 25th, 2009, 07:12 AM
Glad to hear you were not hurt very badly... could have been much worse. You are lucky. Get well soon. You can fix the bike later.

Jeff

R6Blake101
Wed Feb 25th, 2009, 07:38 AM
Glad u ok. So how fast were u going? By the way I was around C470 yesterday...

~Barn~
Wed Feb 25th, 2009, 07:41 AM
Glad you're up and able to post about it all.

Sean
Wed Feb 25th, 2009, 08:05 AM
Damn, that sucks man! Glad you're not to tore up. Bikes can be replaced, bodies can't. Heal up quick :up:

Gear: ftw :rock:

Squisha
Wed Feb 25th, 2009, 08:13 AM
DEFINITELY glad you're in decent enough shape to tell about it! Now, the question I have is, are you/will you be contemplating equipment changes? With your knee torn up that way, I'm wondering if you'll consider wearing pants or other lower-body protection. I ask because it's a constant back-and-forth debate for me. I almost always lean toward the MORE protection side, but I have yet to find pants that are comfortable enough, protective enough, and still somewhat practical. What's your thought? Would a get-off swing that pendulum firmly to the always wearing pants side?

PS Just picked myself up some Sidi B2s...good boot...expanded sizing for my little feets...and kudos to MotoGear Outlet for setting me up right!

McVaaahhh
Wed Feb 25th, 2009, 08:20 AM
Any crash you walk away from is a learning experience.

Gotta be careful out there, especially this early in the season. There's a ton of sand or mag chloride or ice (in those shady corners), so you have to dial it back a notch.

Glad you're ok, and I hope you get back on the horse! :up:

Ceez
Wed Feb 25th, 2009, 08:33 AM
+1....glad you walked away with only a slight limp.

Sully
Wed Feb 25th, 2009, 08:35 AM
Gotta be careful out there, especially this early in the season. There's a ton of sand or mag chloride or ice (in those shady corners), so you have to dial it back a notch.
:up:

That and the fact you had on new tires. Glad you're ok.

Panman06
Wed Feb 25th, 2009, 09:38 AM
Any crash you walk away from is a learning experience.

Glad you're ok, and I hope you get back on the horse! :up:

+1 Glad you're ok and walked away with a few scratches and bruises. I err on the side of chicken this early in the season.

Heal well and get back on the seat soon.

SaShWhO
Wed Feb 25th, 2009, 09:52 AM
bummer!

asp_125
Wed Feb 25th, 2009, 10:11 AM
Definitely not the season to push, especially on new tires.

I ask because it's a constant back-and-forth debate for me. I almost always lean toward the MORE protection side, but I have yet to find pants that are comfortable enough, protective enough, and still somewhat practical.

Without a doubt, leather gives the most protection followed by the ballistic nylon textile pants. But if you are willing to give up a little protection for practicality look into the riding jeans. I ride to work and in town on the double front Carhartts, and I've added some knee padding in them for additional protection. So far so good, they are better than jeans anyway.

Nick_Ninja
Wed Feb 25th, 2009, 11:27 AM
Title needs to be changed:

Laid my bike down in sharp turn (due to my inept knowledge of tire mold release compound properties).

Squisha
Wed Feb 25th, 2009, 11:33 AM
Good to know. Thanks, man!

Squisha
Wed Feb 25th, 2009, 11:34 AM
Without a doubt, leather gives the most protection followed by the ballistic nylon textile pants. But if you are willing to give up a little protection for practicality look into the riding jeans. I ride to work and in town on the double front Carhartts, and I've added some knee padding in them for additional protection. So far so good, they are better than jeans anyway.

Good to know, thanks man!

RajunCajun
Wed Feb 25th, 2009, 12:15 PM
GLAD YOUR OK MAN!! Hope your knee heals up soon!

I usually do street riding with only jeans, but never really feel safe, as far as my legs(always wear full face helmet, armored jacket and gloves). I plan on picking up either some armor to wear under the jeans, or some nice riding pants that I can wear for casual occasions. When I'm doing canyon riding, usually wear my race leathers.

Bueller
Wed Feb 25th, 2009, 12:20 PM
I ride to work and in town on the double front Carhartts, and I've added some knee padding in them for additional protection. So far so good, they are better than jeans anyway.
Still only cotton, since the dragging distance on cotton/denim is like 3' ,double fronts will give you six foot of slide before you are losing skin, depending on if you are on the double front. Ass is still single.
How much better than jeans, really?

asp_125
Wed Feb 25th, 2009, 12:29 PM
I agree, still cotton, but performance/$$ comparison with the common "kevlar" riding jeans they are half the price. Their jeans are 15oz denim, heavier than regular jeans. I have the duck canvas ones, and to me, they seem to be more abrasion resistant than just jean material. BTW I lowsided on Draggin' Jeans and got road rash on my knee, so no, riding jeans are not a substitute for real riding pants, but it's a personal decision. For me, some protection is better than none.

I also have a closetful of leathers and riding pants, but they're for weekend use and not to/from work.

Sully
Wed Feb 25th, 2009, 12:45 PM
Bueller rides nekkid :bigeyes:

Sortarican
Wed Feb 25th, 2009, 01:31 PM
Damn Jeff..... harsh brother.....very harsh.

Laid my bike down in sharp turn (due to my inept knowledge of tire mold release compound properties).

Slo
Wed Feb 25th, 2009, 02:30 PM
Could have been much worse, especially with the oncoming traffic, glad your ok.

Sully
Wed Feb 25th, 2009, 02:35 PM
Damn Jeff..... harsh brother.....very harsh.

Just be glad he's not drunk ! :drink:lol

Nick_Ninja
Wed Feb 25th, 2009, 03:01 PM
Just be glad he's not drunk ! :drink:lol

Drunk connotations in two threads. I win. :drink:

BTW --- what did I say to piss you off? :think:

Sully
Wed Feb 25th, 2009, 03:12 PM
:lol: nothing.. just teasing you ;)

Nick_Ninja
Wed Feb 25th, 2009, 04:26 PM
:lol: nothing.. just teasing you ;)

I'll drink to that :cheers:

MetaLord 9
Wed Feb 25th, 2009, 04:37 PM
Sorry for the luck man, I hate when that happens. Heal up & keep 'er rubber down!

Matty
Wed Feb 25th, 2009, 05:09 PM
probably already said. but if you're going to ride in Jeans. Go to any bike shop and get a pair of $15 knee/shin pads. They saved my knees when i got tagged by an F-150 a few years ago.

lightspeed
Wed Feb 25th, 2009, 08:12 PM
glad ur okay bro. now heal up and get back on the horse:up: and if you need some help putting ish back together pm me...

R6biker122
Wed Feb 25th, 2009, 08:13 PM
Glad u ok. So how fast were u going? By the way I was around C470 yesterday...

I was going around 30mph hit this really sharp turn and realized i was going really fast so i hit both brakes as i stood my bike straight up. this was a right turn so i realized i needed to contine to right turn as i did i hit gravel and my tires whipped me down harder than Sh**. Without my leather jacket my right shoulder would be scimmed down to the bone. But my bike has cosmetic damage and the only thing that happend was it snapped my front brake claver off. so if anyone knows how to replace that.. it leaks brake liquid when i tried to take it off today.

R6biker122
Wed Feb 25th, 2009, 08:17 PM
DEFINITELY glad you're in decent enough shape to tell about it! Now, the question I have is, are you/will you be contemplating equipment changes? With your knee torn up that way, I'm wondering if you'll consider wearing pants or other lower-body protection. I ask because it's a constant back-and-forth debate for me. I almost always lean toward the MORE protection side, but I have yet to find pants that are comfortable enough, protective enough, and still somewhat practical. What's your thought? Would a get-off swing that pendulum firmly to the always wearing pants side?

PS Just picked myself up some Sidi B2s...good boot...expanded sizing for my little feets...and kudos to MotoGear Outlet for setting me up right!

Hm...... will i wear pants!? the answer is Fuck yes! sorry for the cussing but i will not take the chance of ripping myself up. i have sidi boots which are amazing. Every time i ride i am going all out with wearing proper safetey equipment. cause you never know when something will happen. So yes. i definitely reccomend wearing riding pants with jeans underneath it. you have no idea how bad my knee hurts now.. thank god for viocodine.

Bueller
Wed Feb 25th, 2009, 08:23 PM
Every time i ride i am going all out. cause you never know when something will happen.
:shocked:

Cool, post up where you meet so I can be some where else.

Matrix
Wed Feb 25th, 2009, 08:26 PM
Glad your ok. Heal up quick and if you need help putting it back to together let us know. Happens to everyone eventually.

R6biker122
Wed Feb 25th, 2009, 08:26 PM

WOw... man. thats pretty mean.

R6biker122
Wed Feb 25th, 2009, 08:28 PM
:shocked:

Cool, post up where you meet so I can be some where else.

lol dude, i meant by wearing all the proper safetey equipment. SUch as gloves helmet, jacket and pants. no more riding in jeans.

kalibra
Wed Feb 25th, 2009, 09:20 PM
Pandora???

lightspeed
Wed Feb 25th, 2009, 09:29 PM
But my bike has cosmetic damage and the only thing that happend was it snapped my front brake claver off. so if anyone knows how to replace that.. it leaks brake liquid when i tried to take it off today.

I'm sure there's a pdf manual for the R6 floating around the net somewhere that can help you with that brake lever. I found one on the R1 fourm for my 07 R1

Matty
Wed Feb 25th, 2009, 09:34 PM
Pandora???
:pointlaugh: :spit:

kalibra
Wed Feb 25th, 2009, 09:39 PM
won't sleep till I see NN's reply....pressure pressure

Nick_Ninja
Wed Feb 25th, 2009, 11:19 PM
won't sleep till I see NN's reply....pressure pressure

YAWN,,,,,,,,

DK74
Thu Feb 26th, 2009, 12:06 AM
Sorry to hear about what happened. Glad you're ok

GixxerCarrie
Thu Feb 26th, 2009, 04:50 AM
If you search on Ebay ond lots of the closeout stores you'll find a good pair of pants. I had Icons first-which many of the Northies can attest too we're way to big and like snow pants...the knee pads hit my shins..lmao. They are now Daniel's? What was I thinkin! What I can say is there are 3 of us riders-1 woman to males all have the Joe Rocket ballistic. I just got mine for $125. Great liner...side zips for summer. Super comfy.

Both of them have been down in them...and you coulnd't see a scratch on the pants or them. One has high sided twice in them, and, the other took a nice stretch across the pavement when we were on a Mt. Evans ride this summer. Body + Pavement = Nice Strawberries...but they both all attest to how great they are.

Just my 2 cents and why I got that paticular kind.

Jim_Vess
Thu Feb 26th, 2009, 04:08 PM

I've had the same issue trying to find riding pants that are comfortable for me.

I'm using Draggin' Liners with added knee armor under my jeans.

http://www.dragginjeans.com/category.aspx?categoryID=39

They are basically Kevlar long underwear. I like them better than the Draggin' Jeans because it's full coverage instead of just knees, hips, and butt.

BlueDog
Sat Feb 28th, 2009, 10:20 AM
So, what is the best technique for slowing down in a curve? Standing the bike up like they taught in msf seems like a potentially bad idea as you either go into another lane or off the shoulder. I know I've seen a single skid mark going off the edge of the road near deckers before. It just seems that even with the speed he was going and the new tires he had on, he still should have been able to ride it out if he had just maybe used a better way to slow down...

And as per ninjas post about tire release compound, my dad has some funny stories about that from his time at littleton honda. Guys would come in there with their shiny new bikes, get a fresh set of tires put on, try to show off as they left the parking lot, lay their bikes down, and be back in a few minutes later needing all the replacement parts.

modette99
Sat Feb 28th, 2009, 12:09 PM

R6biker122
Sat Feb 28th, 2009, 03:28 PM
well it wasn't like i picked my tires up and headed for the mountains. I rode for about a day on my new tires. The second day towards the end around 4pm i felt pretty comfortable with my tires. But i just wiped out on gravel.

Hm.. what i could have done differently.. slowed down sooner.

Cars-R-Coffins
Sat Feb 28th, 2009, 06:34 PM
Know the road and its turns better. Error on the side of caution and slow down until you do.

Crashdaddy
Sat Feb 28th, 2009, 07:16 PM
So, what is the best technique for slowing down in a curve? Standing the bike up like they taught in msf seems like a potentially bad idea as you either go into another lane or off the shoulder. I know I've seen a single skid mark going off the edge of the road near deckers before. It just seems that even with the speed he was going and the new tires he had on, he still should have been able to ride it out if he had just maybe used a better way to slow down...

The technique you speak of was actually "stopping" in a curve, not slowing down. The MSF teaches that you trade some cornering forces for stopping forces. Yes, the basic idea would be the same for "slowing," but by far you are better off pushing on that inside grip and trying to make the corner.

In the "event" we are talking about here, there was no reason to stop. The front started to go for whatever reason. Even then the better response would be to maintain your body position, increase throttle, and try to make the corner. I know that is MUCH easier said than done. All of us have the instinct to survive. But sometimes our brains don't know any better.

If this is the corner I think it was, there are lots of scape marks there from people losing the front. Again, if it the one I think it is, it is decreasing radius. That just adds to the problem. Had a good friend ride with me and some other friends several years ago up Bear Creek. He had just bought a Harley. At Conoco I told him to just enjoy the ride. We were all on sport bikes, and had ridden the canyon hundreds of times. I told him where we would stop and meet back up, so no pressure. He didn't listen. Corner speed too high, skill level too low, and motorcycle that drags hard parts too soon. He crashed hard, slid across opposing lane. He went between a Geo Metro and a pickup. Ended up in the dirt, with just a scraped up Harley and a severely bruised ego.

I still blame myself for it, and think about it every time I ride through that right hand turn. Will never let that happen to me again.

I'm glad you are OK.

wankel7
Thu Mar 19th, 2009, 08:55 AM
Yeah, next time you are riding and feel better about things you should start trying to slow in middle of turns. Not stopping of course.

Its weird in a turn when you get on the brakes hard to slow the bike. Since the braking action wants to make the bike go upright. But it is a good skill to have to be able to scrub a little speed off with overreacting and asking to much from the tires.

Glad to hear that you and the bike are ok and you still have the whole season to ride!

If your brake handle was leaking fluid you might need a master cylinder and not just a handle.

DK74
Thu Mar 19th, 2009, 11:53 AM
glad you are ok. you can always replace a bike.

R6biker122
Thu Mar 19th, 2009, 12:38 PM
Yeah, next time you are riding and feel better about things you should start trying to slow in middle of turns. Not stopping of course.

Its weird in a turn when you get on the brakes hard to slow the bike. Since the braking action wants to make the bike go upright. But it is a good skill to have to be able to scrub a little speed off with overreacting and asking to much from the tires.

Glad to hear that you and the bike are ok and you still have the whole season to ride!

If your brake handle was leaking fluid you might need a master cylinder and not just a handle.

Well the brake fluid hose disconnected so thats why it was leaking. I need to get a new hose. It's in the shop right now.http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/images/icons/icon7.gif

wankel7
Thu Mar 19th, 2009, 10:37 PM
Get yourself a SS braided one?

R6biker122
Fri Mar 20th, 2009, 01:24 AM
well its a small piece. but u know the brake fluid holder on the handel bars? well the hose going to from the bottle of fluid to the ring has been snapped off. they dont even sell that small piece... it sucks..

FortitudoX
Mon Mar 30th, 2009, 02:43 AM
...sorry to hear bro...ah don't let all that negative criticism affect yah. It's easy for some folks to forget we're all human and shiat happens. Ride on.

I don't know if you're still looking for the part but I've found some odds and ends on this site: http://www.mrcycleparts.com/?mcp=ps Either that or check craigslist/ebay for someone parting out the same bike.

sugarrey
Mon Mar 30th, 2009, 08:31 AM
I tell ya.....I went down last showing off and still have pains.....Got both knees and both elbows and ribs....Couldn't walk for 3 days. I recovered but not fully. I cannot run anymore because my knees are fucked up and I don't see them recovering, even kneeling down in painful and getting up is worse. My shoulder also pops when I lay on it also..And I am a fairly young guy.

So RIDE WITHIN YOUR MEANS!!!! Not saying you weren't bud but I tell ya....I ride thru the mountains with some ladies and dudes that are just plain better and faster than me, now I keep up but every corner I'm crapping a little in my drawers because I am riding over my head.....It's a rush, but you know what.......keeping up isn't all that important...Ride safe fella's......Ride within your comfort level, and if your constantly riding with people that are blowing your doors off either don't ride with them, or talk to them and tell them that it doesn't fell right yet. CSC ladies and guys seem to be very receptive to listening to their fellow riders and will respect you for being honest and wanting to LIVE!!!!

Jeff R

McVaaahhh
Mon Mar 30th, 2009, 09:28 AM
now I keep up but every corner I'm crapping a little in my drawers because I am riding over my head.....

Jeff,

Slow down bro. If you're shitting your pants every corner you're going to end up in a bad way. You even say so yourself that it's not important to keep up, so don't try to. :cheers:

Slo
Mon Mar 30th, 2009, 09:33 AM
Jeff,

Slow down bro. If you're shitting your pants every corner you're going to end up in a bad way.

+1, your reactions when your puckered:shocked: up won't be good....

honey
Mon Mar 30th, 2009, 11:15 AM
Glad to hear you are ok. Oncoming traffic sure does make you think about things a little differently. Feeling a little uncomfortable (while wearing protection) to do what you love might just be worth it.

MikeG
Mon Mar 30th, 2009, 12:04 PM
See Chad's thread on how to "back it in"

sugarrey
Mon Mar 30th, 2009, 12:53 PM
McV I was speaking from my past experiences.....This happened to me last year my first couple canyon rides but I have hit my stride....I know who I can ride with and when to chill....You know I was talking it about it yesterday with some new guys I was riding with. 10 years ago it wouldn't of mattered, driving out of my element no worries! Not sure if its because I grew up, grew out, smarter, wiser or what it is, but it just aint worth getting hurt for anymore. I think its all of those things. Guess there are some good things about getting older!

+1 to being a wiser me!

HOTCARCASS
Mon Mar 30th, 2009, 03:32 PM
I hope you heal and get back on the bike in soon. I street ride in full leathers because of so many unforseen obsticals on the street. Road rash is avoidable, why not avoid it? I know there are reasons for not riding in leathers. I couldn't afford them for a long time but now that I have them I feel good about riding with more protection. Besides you can't drag your knee all day with jeans!

guessinthe2000
Tue Mar 31st, 2009, 03:08 PM
Glad to know you are safe!

R6biker122
Tue Mar 31st, 2009, 03:23 PM
hey thanks guys for all the guidance and positive help. It really does help to know that this stuff hapeens. But the best part about it i will learn from experience.

Jeff i know what u mean by crapping in your pants on the turns. even though u are probably not scared anymore basic psychology makes us a little scared when we come up to any turn becuase the incredible amount of fright i experienced from the fall. I will definitely be more careful out there. I am always going to be in fulll gear as well. Can't wait to get out and ride again. :)

sergio
Wed Apr 1st, 2009, 09:11 PM
+1 for saving your knees. Even pads under your jeans are better than nothing. Pick up a pair of armored textile pants, its not leather however still alot better than jeans. I personally like scorpions for textile, price is not bad considering a trip to the hospital for stitches can have those pants pay for themselves.

Danjo
Fri Apr 3rd, 2009, 11:16 PM
I know it has already been said but +1.

Especially whenever I am riding recreationally, I wear full leathers. I bought a two piece suit on ebay for just under $200. And it may not be jeans but it is comfortable and it gives me confidence when I ride. Like another person said, a trip to the emergancy is very expensive and very preventible (if you go down) by wearing leather.

And that dude that said he walked away from going down wearing jeans - Dude you were plain LUCKY!! I've seen a guy go down with just jeans and minor rasberry on his leg but he was just plain lucky too!

If you ride with any kind of regularity - it isn't worth the risk. Wear some leathers. Besides it looks cool too.:hump:

kawasakirob
Fri May 1st, 2009, 03:30 PM
That road is sneaky. First few times on it I was tricked by a decreasing radius right hander. Also some rocks.