PDA

View Full Version : Great viewpoint from a pro that has been there

Crashdaddy
Thu Feb 26th, 2009, 12:30 PM
Was hard for me to pidgeon hole where this post belonged. It was written by Ty Piz, 3 time MRA Champion (400, 600 & 250 GP), MSF RiderCoach and Total Control instructor.

After reading it, I just thought it would be unfair not to share it. Yes, it is posted with his permission. I hope you enjoy it as I did.

Dean

TRAVEL SPEED IN FEET PER SECOND
On the race track, a turn is not judged in the degree of its radius, in MPH, the Centrifugal Force or the Gravitational Forces exerted upon the riders body; the sections of track are determined by the incremental changes that challenge us to confront our fears when entering into their domain.
There are many factors that exist inside of this single moment that will determine the outcome of our free choice of entering into this perplexing situation between rider and the turn itself. Your ability to remain calm and deal with all of the factors is a key to regulating those forces within your control, and to recognize those which are beyond your mortal capabilities. You will need to use all of the skills and craftsmanship you now posses to navigate your ship through this present domain with the greatest velocity possible. Together with the inner drive to push yourself beyond all the earmarks of insanity to reach the point where you visualize yourself coming out the other side of the turn, riding on your pre-selected race line.
A race track has many elements to focus on: a single bend, a kink, a corner, a straight-a-way. Any section of the track with its infinite number of possible combinations of camber, of elevation changes, the trees and cross-over bridges with their shadows lurking across the track. Even your ability to figure out the available traction from section to section will invariably decide your fate.
The rider must show equal measures of respect to all components involved. Allowing the respect, the fear, the thrill, the excitement and the danger of the moment to all have parallel strengths in the reality of the equation. As well as acknowledging your own physical well being, your current mental state, and the vehicle you have chosen to transport you. The essence of the machine will not prevent you from, or carry you through, the test of conquering this monster that you presently face: the turn itself.
To avoid a catastrophic chain-reaction of events from destroying your human existence, look at all the elements as being consistent. The result of any miscalculation can either remove you permanently or in some way temporarily devastate you from any further engagement with the track itself.
Mix this in with the rider having split-second decision making capabilities and a large dose of compassion by the spirit to keep your mere life intact through the transition you now face, in this one-turn encounter.
This blending of all energies is the reason that many amateur and professional racers, and weekend riders too, continue to test the capabilities of these man-made machines as well as themselves, again and again. Add in the natural diversity of the universe itself, creates the pure joy of speed, an amazing gift in its own sense. Thus accepting that the unseen personal challenges of the rider will return time after time, for another showdown with the fears of their own creation-in about two minutes on your next lap around.
This is the essence of life for the individual that pursues these vigorous ambitions. These riders are a unique breed; not the innocence of the inner child, not the significant outer suit the world sees. Traveling at supersonic speed, only the Heart-of the individual can decide the final outcome of this amazing ride.

Crashdaddy
Thu Feb 26th, 2009, 03:58 PM
And Ty did use paragraphs. I just did a crap job of cutting and pasting.

Sorry

OUTLAWD
Thu Feb 26th, 2009, 07:04 PM
mopar addict indeed...looks like a nice coronet :up:

Crashdaddy
Thu Feb 26th, 2009, 07:24 PM
Good eye outlaw. I am lucky enough that it is a real Super Bee, but as I'm sure you know, that's just a less fancy Coronet.

I'm always looking for sponsors to help me with go fast parts, so don't worry about me being offended by your donations.

Thanks for the kind words.

Dean

OUTLAWD
Thu Feb 26th, 2009, 09:45 PM
unfortunately i left my car addiction on the east coast, or fortunately, for my wallet's sake, so i don't really have anything in the form of parts or $, but if you're ever looking for a pit monkey...i'm pretty decent at dragging my knuckles and have spent a decent amount of time going down the 1/4 in old mopes.

...and an interesting perspective...it makes sense though

Crashdaddy
Thu Feb 26th, 2009, 11:04 PM
Hey Outlaw,

I may just take you up on that. Careful what you wish for. I many times could use a fresh set of hands and a less blurry set of eyes.

Thanks for the offer! :)

Dean