PDA

View Full Version : CO requirements for dual sport conversion?

rforsythe
Fri Feb 27th, 2009, 02:35 PM
Looking at the various things out there, it seems there are a lot of options for street-legalizing a dirt bike. I just want to put the bare minimum on the XR, but it also seems the regulations vary by state.

Does anyone know for sure what the regs are in CO, or have a link to some sort of government-related site that details those things?

I figure at least a headlight, switched brake light, turn signals, horn, speedo, and a mirror. Is that too much? Not enough? I seem to remember Dysco's WR being street legal even w/o a speedo (or it wasn't, I can't remember his instructions about not attracting the attention of cops cause that was boring).

longrider
Fri Feb 27th, 2009, 02:39 PM
Headlight with high and low beam, taillight, brakelight, horn and mirror. Technically DOT approved knobbies but that is often overlooked. However the rules are clamping down and legalizing a dirt bike is quickly becoming a thing of the past. I will try to find the info about the clampdown

TFOGGuys
Fri Feb 27th, 2009, 02:40 PM
No speedo required. Headlight, tail light, brake light, 1 mirror, and a horn.

Certificate of equipment compliance (http://www.colorado.gov/cs/Satellite?c=Document_C&cid=1211966064557&pagename=Revenue-MV%2FDocument_C%2FRMVAddLink)

Filo
Fri Feb 27th, 2009, 02:40 PM
Damn Ralph, can't you use the search function?

Try this
http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=20628&highlight=street+legal+dirt+bike

Jim has a bit about it in the last post. There are other threads too, if you search for street legal dirt bike. I am going to report you to the admins now.

salsashark
Fri Feb 27th, 2009, 02:46 PM
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=424610

rforsythe
Fri Feb 27th, 2009, 02:48 PM
Headlight with high and low beam, taillight, brakelight, horn and mirror. Technically DOT approved knobbies but that is often overlooked. However the rules are clamping down and legalizing a dirt bike is quickly becoming a thing of the past. I will try to find the info about the clampdown

Yeah see what you can find out. Maybe if it's grandfathered in?

According to Jim's link, headlight doesn't even need high-low beam. Looks like the requirements are actually very barebones. :headbang:

rforsythe
Fri Feb 27th, 2009, 02:56 PM
Interesting read on ADV salsa, thanks.

One useful point is that this bike was already titled out of state. In theory, I should be able to just transfer the title here. If I do that, since that paperwork exists, I don't see why I couldn't just get a plate for the damn thing.

Bashed
Fri Feb 27th, 2009, 03:59 PM
Interesting read on ADV salsa, thanks.

One useful point is that this bike was already titled out of state. In theory, I should be able to just transfer the title here. If I do that, since that paperwork exists, I don't see why I couldn't just get a plate for the damn thing.

This is correct though you will need a vin verification form if it is coming in from outta state.

rforsythe
Fri Feb 27th, 2009, 04:07 PM
This is correct though you will need a vin verification form if it is coming in from outta state.

Is that it though? Will I need the whole Certificate of Compliance thing too, or will the VIN Verif be enough?

longrider
Fri Feb 27th, 2009, 04:42 PM
With a title from out of state you should be fine with just a VIN verification. The assumption is if another state titled it then it is legal. I am still trying to find that info I spoke of earlier, but the summary of it is that the state motor vehicle departments dont want to cross the feds as the bike was not certified to meed DOT standards and there is no practical way to make it meet EPA standards. :(

Bueller
Fri Feb 27th, 2009, 04:50 PM
You can title it, but you can't plate it without insurance.

Bashed
Fri Feb 27th, 2009, 04:59 PM
Longrider is correct in the thats all you need if you
already have a title regardless of where its from. All
vehicles even cars need a VIN verification from outta state.

And unfortunatly I belive he is correct in the rumors
that plating a "dirt bike' will be a thing of the past here
in Colorado. There was/is a discussion in the Rocky Mountian
forums about this over @ ADV Rider. Some people are having problems now with thier local DMV mostly because of ignorance
on the subject, nothing official though I have seem as of this date.
Soooooo, if you have one get it done this year before they
change thier policy.
Four things to get your dirt bike plated.....
1) VIN verification
2) Bill of Sale for off road use only
3) Insurance thanks Dave
4) Signed Statment of Compliance

The last item pergers (SP) yourself if you do
not have the listed items installed on your bike.
So that means you don't have to have them, but
you could get into trouble if you dont. Your call,
as others have stated DOT tires and a mirror and a
horn are probably the easyist to do with out as not
having a brake/tailight will get noticed more readily.
YMMV

Peace Bash