PDA

View Full Version : Best hand gun?

Vehicle 1
Fri Feb 27th, 2009, 06:51 PM
I'm thinking about getting a hand gun, and just in case things keep changing I better get it soon...

I've had these recommended:

Sig
HK
Springfield (XDM)
Glock

I am not a gun expert, so I would love some opinions on what would be a good gun and model to by, compact and practical. User friendly when cleaning time comes. Mostly for home safety. 9mm probably. Maybe I'll get a concealed weapon permit in the future.

Not looking into spending more than $800, second hand is an option.

I do have experience shooting all sorts of guns from friends, and my 22 revolver.

Any good places to start looking if I need it somewhat soon?

Any old threads that I have missed would work, either way I would love some insight, thanks!

Marauder
Fri Feb 27th, 2009, 07:13 PM
Glock 23...

Never jams, hits the bullseye out of the box, good-sized grip but still compact. Don't listen to people that say "they're not all that". Everyone talks about Glocks because everyone has one. And everyone has one for a reason. CZ is good but stay away from .40 compact (CZ75 compact); nothing but FTE and FTL problems. My choice in 9mm is Sig.

dirkterrell
Fri Feb 27th, 2009, 07:20 PM
This is like asking what the best bike is. :)

My carry weapon is a Glock 30 (.45 ACP). Accurate and reliable. You're welcome to try it sometime. Sig makes good pistols too.

Dirk

Vehicle 1
Fri Feb 27th, 2009, 07:27 PM
thanks for the info guys

This is like asking what the best bike is. :)

+1 lol

I tried to narrow it down a little

the Sig keeps coming up. I may be able to test one, I am very curious.

cheers

dirkterrell
Fri Feb 27th, 2009, 07:45 PM
the Sig keeps coming up. I may be able to test one, I am very curious.

I have a buddy with a P226 (9mm) and I'm sure he'd be willing to let you try it. It's a full-size model though. Very nice gun.

Dirk

The Black Knight
Fri Feb 27th, 2009, 07:46 PM
You mentioned Springfield XD(M) but I didn't see anything on Smith or Taurus. The latter both make excellent handgun choices. With Smith's M&P series and Taurus with their 24/7 Pro series.

If it's capacity you're after then look no further then the Springfield XD(M). I just had to break down and buy myself one 3 months ago and it has since replaced my other concealed carry gun. At 19+1 and good upgrades over the regular XD, I think it's a hell of a gun. Like many other it's dead accurate out of the box with a matched barrel to give you almost perfect accuracy out to 25yrds(even after that it's still great).

Thing with the XD(M) is you get all the accessories you'll need(like paddle holster, mag pouch(which I'm not really excited with), 2 mags, and 3 grip backstraps for adjusting the guns grip to your hand size, also comes with a speed loader which is nice for those 19rd mags). XD is making accessories for it as we speak. You can order more mags for either the 9mm or .40 right away if you so choose.

Smith & Wesson's M&P in 9mm, .40 or .45 is a sweet gun. You can't go wrong with one of them either. Though in .45ACP it is a bit harder to conceal carry if you're a smaller frame person. Capacity isn't as high as compared to the XD(M) but then again what is?? HAHA Though with the M&P you get Smith's fit and finish. Which I have to be honest and I know I'm going against the grain with alot of reviews I've read. But to me the M&P is of better build quality then the XD(M). Which is saying alot because I think the build quality of the new XD(M) is excellent(even compared to the older models). But I just love how the M&P's feel and work. If I were to pin the M&P down to one word, it would have to be "Refined". It's a very well crafted gun(in my humble opinion of course).

Taurus 24/7 Pro's rock and are great guns. No matter what anyone tells you. You've got tons of people who bag on Taurus and rip the 24/7's for being unreliable and faulty. I've got over 5000 rounds through mine and have yet to have one hiccup. Only problem is parts for them are harder to find and buying extra magazines is pricey. However, next to Glock and Springfield the Taurus 24/7's offer great capacity. 9mm come in 17+1 and .45 in 13+1, I'm not sure what the .40 is as I have no experience with the .40's but figure it's somewhere in the middle at 15+1 for capacity.

When it comes to choosing a handgun the examples of weapons out there are limitless. Find one you like the feel of and are comfortable with. The rest will just come naturally.

Fly boy
Fri Feb 27th, 2009, 08:06 PM
My buddy just bought a Taurus Raging Bull in the 6.5" barrel with scope was $600

.44 magnum ftw!

I love my Walther, and my springfield 1911.

ChrisCBX
Fri Feb 27th, 2009, 08:26 PM
I love my Walther, and my springfield 1911.

I have a Walther and a Springfield compact 1911 that are a couple of my favorites as well.:)

It is like picking your favorite bike and like my bikes, I'm not brand loyal. My home protection gun is a Glock Model 17 and my carry gun is an HK USP Compact 40 with the stainless slide. Sig and HK are regarded by many as the overall best quality (non-1911) guns around.

There are a bunch of quality guns out there and if I had to choose, my vote for home safety in a 9MM would be the Glock.

Vehicle 1
Fri Feb 27th, 2009, 08:55 PM
If it's capacity you're after then look no further then the Springfield XD(M).
yep, I just handled my friend's older XD a couple hours ago and the thing is great; with even more capacity like the new one has it would be just awesome. I like how the security system is composed of a palm area security "trigger" followed by the actual trigger security "trigger"... first time I had personally seen that. This gun is definitely an option. I may be able to test it on tuesday if all goes as planed.

This weekend I will be going to some stores to see if I can find anything to at least handle and feel. It is nice to know some good ideas and experiences from people to narrow down my choices, I am taking good note, thanks.

Panman06
Sat Feb 28th, 2009, 12:01 AM
Try various makes/models before you decide. I'm actually shopping for a SigSauer 228 to add to my collection.

$800 will get you a very nice handgun. Personally, I don't see anything practical about high ends such as Kimbers.

= Buckeye Jess =
Sat Feb 28th, 2009, 01:03 AM
I personally own a Ruger P95 and I love it. I chose this one over the Glocks because it fit my hand so much better plus the fact that I got a wicked deal on it. But like others have said... try all of them out and go with what feels best!

puckstr
Sat Feb 28th, 2009, 09:15 AM
FNP 9 FTW

PsychoMike
Sat Feb 28th, 2009, 09:22 AM
if you decide to go with the XD I have a 4inch XD.40 i may be willing to let go if you cant find anything else.

httc84
Sat Feb 28th, 2009, 10:40 AM
All good guns. I have a baretta at home because I liked the way it felt and I got a good deal on it.

Guns are like bikes, handle a few and buy the one that talks to you. As long as you stay with the reputable models, you won't go wrong.

Vehicle 1
Sat Feb 28th, 2009, 06:54 PM
After a couple years of meditation, a couple weeks of research, and visiting a bunch of stores, today it came down to a new XD(M) or a factory serviced used Sig 226. These two were the ones that felt the best, and were fair priced. It was a tough decision because the sig was really nice, but I went with the new XD(M).

Can't wait to shoot it tomorrow, I may just ride to some range and test it out.:)

thanks a lot for all your comments and hints!

you like?

The Black Knight
Sat Feb 28th, 2009, 07:05 PM
Dude you will not be disappointed. It's a badass gun, I love mine and really enjoy shooting it everytime I head to the range. For me it was just one of those guns that you pick up and it just feels good.

You might want to check Springfield's website and see if they are still doing their Free 2 Extra Magazines and Extra Mag Pouch promo. When I bought mine they were doing it from Oct. 15, 2008 to Jan. 15, 2009, however they may have started a new one up, so always check with them.

If they are doing the promo, jump on it ASAP. I purchased mine back on Jan. 1st and am still waiting for my 2 mags and pouch. From what I was told they have a serious backlog right now. So they are getting to everyone's requests as a matter of first come first serve. And since I was on the tail end of their last promo, I'm looking at probably 3 months before I get mine. Either way free is free you know.

You'll enjoy shooting that gun. Very good buy!! :up:

Vehicle 1
Sat Feb 28th, 2009, 07:23 PM
For me it was just one of those guns that you pick up and it just feels good.

Absolutely man, I love it!

I will check about the promo and see, you never know... thanks again:)

D.

The Black Knight
Sat Feb 28th, 2009, 08:03 PM
Absolutely man, I love it!

I will check about the promo and see, you never know... thanks again:)

D.
Hey here's a cool place to get some info and what not about your XD.
http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/

CYCLE_MONKEY
Sun Mar 1st, 2009, 04:49 PM
DesertEagle .50cal Magnum FTW!:shocked::)

Feel lucky punk? Well, do ya?:)

The Black Knight
Sun Mar 1st, 2009, 05:51 PM
DesertEagle .50cal Magnum FTW!:shocked::)

Feel lucky punk? Well, do ya?:)
you mean, S&W .500 FTW!! :shocked:

JustSomeDude
Sun Mar 1st, 2009, 10:46 PM
I have found the Glock 19 to be the best "all around" firearm I can find.

She is chambered for the 9mm cartridge... not the best stopping power, but I prefer the 15 rounds in the magazine and 1 in the chamber to the 7-9 round capacity for a similarly sized .45's. Just carry some good rounds (Federal HST Tactical (http://www.streichers.com/ProductDetail.aspx?Catalog=Guns%20and%20Ammo&Prod=FC-9HST)), and you'll be in business.
The G19 is the "compact" version of the the standard sized Glock model 17, meaning it has a slightly shorter grip/magazine... yet it has more finger space than the subcompact G26 (which has no room for pinky). I find this is a perfect balance of ammunition capacity (16 rounds) while also allowing for conceal-ability and easy handling. NOTE: skinny guys may be unable to conceal the G19 well - but anyone over 185lbs. should be able to conceal it easily in a IWB holster under a shirt.
Durability and reliability - after thousands of rounds through my G19, I've NEVER had ONE jam, stovepipe, misfire, etc... in this regard the G19 has provided 100% performance, better than even my Ruger .357 revolver.
Service and cleanability - the Glock quickly field strips into a few parts for quick cleaning and maintenance.
Price - you should be able to find a base G19 package NEW for about $549. (base package being gun and 2 mags)
Finally -- the Glock is tried and true. While there are many similarly styled semi-autos out there that probably work just as well, the Glock has been around for years, and is a proven weapon. You can't go wrong with a firearm platform of this age, popularity, and success.

http://world.guns.ru/handguns/glock19.jpg

G19 - the all around gun - from conceal carry, to glove box, to bed side table.

Hope this helps! :)

Crashdaddy
Sun Mar 1st, 2009, 11:18 PM
I gotta say this is the way to go. Not as easily concealed, but there are more important things than concealability.

http://www.dillonaero.com/content/videos.html

I'm just sayin...

BlueDog
Sun Mar 1st, 2009, 11:56 PM
Got a chance to shoot cousins xdm today, I was pretty impressed. The trigger pull on that gun is so smooth. Also got to put some rounds through my glock 30 and get quite a bit more accurate with it.

TMP
Mon Mar 2nd, 2009, 09:55 PM
Hey here's a cool place to get some info and what not about your XD.
http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/

+1
Great forum with great people

You made a fantastic choice with the XDM - Congrats!

puckstr
Tue Mar 3rd, 2009, 08:23 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v466/DorGunR/Guns/homeboy_night_sights.jpg

TFOGGuys
Tue Mar 3rd, 2009, 09:07 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v466/DorGunR/Guns/homeboy_night_sights.jpg
:spit:

Thanks Steve, now I have to clean my monitor.....

Vehicle 1
Tue Mar 3rd, 2009, 09:14 AM
:loop:.......:lol:

Slo
Tue Mar 3rd, 2009, 10:03 AM
My favorite was my old HK usp .45 full size. However for concealing, I will go with the compact model. Recoil on it was awesome, the ones you listed all are high quality and good for ++p rounds....