PDA

View Full Version : Ticket Advice????

RayCer
Sun Mar 1st, 2009, 06:16 PM
OK, so here is the deal. I have been riding street for 18 years and have never got a ticket (guess it was my time). I just got an 01 Ducati 996 last week and decided to take it out today for a quick cruise. Of course, I forget to bring my new registration (done Thursday) and my insurance.

I am following an SUV in front of me (its about 20 yards ahead) and there is a car a few feet behind me to the right. We are all doing the same speed. I notice the SUV hits its brakes, so i slow down as well, thats when an officer pulls on the road from a small inlet on the left side. And of course, I get pulled over (Bright Red bike, blah, blah, blah).

She says that i was doing 54 in a 40, writes me a ticket for that, no proof of Insurance and for driving without an endorsement (don't flame me, mine didnt transfer from WA when i moved here and i havent got around to it).

She hands me my ticket, mandatory court date. After she gives me my copy, she realizes that she is missing info on the ticket. She then procedes to write down the year, make, model, color and VIN of my bike on her copy (my copy has none of that info on it). She also puts the wrong address down on the ticket (i have a sticker on the back with my corrected address, which i told her).

I know its a long winded story, but I could use any advice or contacts that any fellow riders might have that could help me get out of this. Thanks in advance for any help!!

Sully
Sun Mar 1st, 2009, 06:51 PM
That sucks :( I'm surprised there is a mandatory court date with only 14 over, but what do I know. Did she actually radar you going that fast ? Is your record clear ? You may be able to go in with your registration and proof of insurance and maybe plea it all down. What county ?

Oh btw, get your mc endorsement too ! :)

Airreed
Sun Mar 1st, 2009, 06:57 PM
I'm almost 100% positive that no insurance gets you a mandatory court date. The cop writing the wrong info isn't going to void the ticket....

Just make sure you bring your insurance papers with you to court.

RayCer
Sun Mar 1st, 2009, 06:58 PM
She didn't say if it was radar, and it doesn't say on my ticket. I have one speeding ticket in the last ten years. I got pulled over in Douglas County.

I know on the Endorsement, I am going to go down next week and just get it done. I have just been a lazzy ass about it.

rforsythe
Sun Mar 1st, 2009, 06:59 PM
That sucks :( I'm surprised there is a mandatory court date with only 14 over, but what do I know. Did she actually radar you going that fast ? Is your record clear ? You may be able to go in with your registration and proof of insurance and maybe plea it all down. What county ?

Oh btw, get your mc endorsement too ! :)

It's a mandatory court date because of no proof of registration or insurance. I'm sure the lack of endorsement didn't help either.

It's a ticket for speeding. Speeding was taking place. Luck of the draw, it was the SUV or the bike, SUV was quicker on the brakes. Dress in a suit, hope they knock off most/all points, pay the fine they assess, and move on.

peteremsley
Sun Mar 1st, 2009, 07:06 PM
I got a ticket a couple of years back and it was a mandatory appearance for failure to show registration and insurance. I think the (Gilpin Co) ticket showed them as 3 points each. Both were dropped by the DA when I proved I had appropriate docs at the time the ticket was issued.

Crashdaddy
Sun Mar 1st, 2009, 07:20 PM
writes me a ticket for that, no proof of Insurance and for driving without an endorsement (don't flame me, mine didnt transfer from WA when i moved here and i havent got around to it).

Sucks that you got picked out of the group, but doesn't surprise me. As was mentioned, take the proof of insurance with the date it was effective, and that usually gets dropped (not always). And obviously the registration should be no issue.

The endorsement they have been getting more sticky about that. Next year will be even worse, as it sounds like Colorado is going to a "zero tolerance" policy. Bike does not go anywhere and gets towed, unless you have a licensed rider to get it home. Just learned of this plan at the MOST meeting last Monday.

I can hook you up with the DMV test so you can show the judge that you do have the endorsement when you appear. PM me if you are interested. That should get it down to the speeding issue. Every munincipality has a different way of dealing with speeding. I had one dropped if I paid $150 (scam) to the court, and had no further tickets for the year. I jumped at it because the insurance rates are what I worry about.

To nice of a day to be dealing with a cop.

Dean

modette99
Mon Mar 2nd, 2009, 10:39 AM

Sully
Mon Mar 2nd, 2009, 10:44 AM
I'm almost 100% positive that no insurance gets you a mandatory court date.

I never knew that.. I've always had my paperwork with me. Last time the cop could careless about my insurance card. He looked at it for maybe 2 seconds and gave it back - it was even expired !

Good luck whatever you decide to do :)

Filo
Mon Mar 2nd, 2009, 11:22 AM
I never knew that.. I've always had my paperwork with me. Last time the cop could careless about my insurance card. He looked at it for maybe 2 seconds and gave it back - it was even expired !

He handed it back because you were doing that thing with your tongue that you are doing in your avatar. I tried that and the cop pulled me out of the car and started CPR because he thought I was a drug mule and had ingested my drugs and was swallowing my tongue. OK, maybe that didn't happen.

Good luck with your ticket. Show up with the correct paper work, be polite and they will probably reduce/remove most of the stuff. Don't try the "But the SUV was speeding too" defense. It doesn't work when my kids try it on me and it won't work on the judge.

Crashdaddy
Mon Mar 2nd, 2009, 12:13 PM
I find that funny it did not transfer, I moved from Michigan and when you go up to DMV and talk to the lady to get the license she looked for the endorsement, and I also reminded her. She said that was good to let them know because if they forget to jot that down then you got to take the test and pay more money. Wife had no problems, neither did the brother in-law, or sister in-law, and my friend from CA that moved here also had no problems. All they do is check a box.

It is actually extremely common that riders don't maintain their endorsement when getting a new license in another state. It seems most people are not as careful as you when standing at that counter, and the DMV doesn't seem to care if you keep an endorsement or not. I am of the opinion the government worker should be ensuring my license transfers exactly as it was in a previous state.

Yeah, like that carries any weight.