PDA

View Full Version : GP shift

LambeauXLIV
Tue Mar 3rd, 2009, 11:27 PM
Made the change today...I can't see how I had it the other way for so long :drool:

What do you have?

D Berns R6
Tue Mar 3rd, 2009, 11:29 PM
I felt the same way when I switched from normal to gp my third race weekend in 07'....will never go back!

cromer611
Wed Mar 4th, 2009, 12:08 AM
GP fo LIFE!

racedk6
Wed Mar 4th, 2009, 01:08 AM
Switched mine 3 months after I started riding, 4 1/2 years later I still dont know why bikes come with that 1 down 5 up stuff

Spiderman
Wed Mar 4th, 2009, 03:03 AM
... I still dont know why bikes come with that 1 down 5 up stuff
... :imwithstupid:

I switched in '03 after 7 years of riding. Took me a little while to get used to, but it very quickly seemed so much more natural (just took a while to un-learn the "wrong" way :lol: )

Bueller
Wed Mar 4th, 2009, 05:46 AM
The question that never gets old :slappers:

DevilsTonic
Wed Mar 4th, 2009, 06:16 AM
Thanks to Spiderman my bike is GP Shift and has been for 2 years, I won't switch it back EVAR! Took me about a week to get used to it, hit a few wrong gears and had some pucker moments but I love it!

Devaclis
Wed Mar 4th, 2009, 06:41 AM
What is really fun is riding it stock for years then switching. Please post back about how many times you downshifted on accident and shit your pants.

Don't forget the pics.

DevilsTonic
Wed Mar 4th, 2009, 06:44 AM
I didn't have the splatter cam on when I down shifted on accident. Luckily the '05 R1 is a little more forgiving than the earlier models. I accidentally down shifted once my first track day at pueblo and a few times in traffic on die-25. I was picking vinyl out of my booty hole for weeks.

Devaclis
Wed Mar 4th, 2009, 06:48 AM
haha I have done it on a couple of bikes that were setup for GP.

Me, I never did it to any of my bikes. I had no need to. I do not race nor do I need hte "ground clearance" that GP provides.

TopTier
Wed Mar 4th, 2009, 07:00 AM
I just switched to GP so I will have some unlearning to do.

dm_gsxr
Wed Mar 4th, 2009, 07:11 AM
Today I'm on a GP shift bike. My 'busa isn't set up that way though which is my main ride. I've been considering it. One of the problem I see with it is when I need to rush through something (like a light changing), I have to shift up instead of stomp down to get more power.

I do notice that GP shift seems to be more intuitive. I'll find myself hesitating on the 'busa for days after riding the SV.

Carl

Matty
Wed Mar 4th, 2009, 07:25 AM
don't like it.... for some reason never got comfortable with it.

dirkterrell
Wed Mar 4th, 2009, 07:34 AM
The question that never gets old :slappers:

If you change to GP shift, what kind of oil should you use?

Dirk

Devaclis
Wed Mar 4th, 2009, 07:39 AM
GP shift is only available on Yamahas. It voids the warranty on all other bikes.

PsychoMike
Wed Mar 4th, 2009, 07:40 AM
buler is jus jealous he doesnt get a choice with his tards

Slo
Wed Mar 4th, 2009, 07:44 AM
<---- Still standard shift, haven't had a reason yet to change it.

Sully
Wed Mar 4th, 2009, 07:46 AM
haha I have done it on a couple of bikes that were setup for GP.

What the hell were you doing on my bike ????? :shocked: You.. you.. sneaky man... !!! :hump:

My mechanic surprised me and switched mine to GP shift one day.. uh huh :crazy: :wtf:... took me about a week to get used to it along with a few pucker moments as well .. but I love it ... :bananna:

Graphite675
Wed Mar 4th, 2009, 07:50 AM
I switched to GP shift about 6 months ago. After 20+ years of riding dirt bikes it has taken a while to re-train my brain. I like it but I'm still having to think about shifting every once in a while so it's not 100% natural yet. I did shift the wrong way on the track a few months ago, and thank god I have a slipper clutch! I was accelerating down the straight at Jennings and went down a gear when I should have gone up.
The biggest advantage is that it makes it easy to up shift while exiting the corners. Don't have to try and hook your foot under the shifter while still leaned over.
It's definitely better for riding on the track, it's just taking some getting used to. If I was riding the street I would probably leave it stock.

Vance
Wed Mar 4th, 2009, 08:30 AM
Frak all of you and your Herd Following GP shift!

I'm going to be daring! DIFFERENT! I'm converting the Terrorist-Cricket to L33T WSB-shift!

MUAH HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!!

FEAR THE BMW MADNESS!

Slo
Wed Mar 4th, 2009, 08:40 AM
Someone had too much coffee this morning haha....

rforsythe
Wed Mar 4th, 2009, 08:41 AM
I tried it. Street scenario, and race scenario. I just didn't find real benefit from it. It felt more natural I guess, but whatever limited benefit I might have gained (occasionally faster shifting maybe but not really; "ground clearance" when shifting while cranked way over in a left turn - not so much) was far outweighed by the number of times I relied on muscle memory and shifted backwards, putting me way over redline and tossing the back end around like crazy (do that at 100mph and see how you feel). This meant a lot more of having to divert focus just to shift to make sure I did it right, which sort of defeats the purpose. It may have "felt" natural, but it didn't "think" natural once you learn standard and build that muscle memory in.

So no, I don't like it. I also have bikes that can't be flipped, and going back and forth is a bitch. I don't want to sit there and think every time I shift "ok is it up or down?" just to ride. Besides, in my mind, "up ... higher gear ... upshift" is a natural thought process and easier to process that way.

Just my $0.02, but I've universally gone back to standard shift.

puckstr
Wed Mar 4th, 2009, 08:42 AM
Shit I have enough trouble with which side is the brake and which is the clutch thingy.

Slo
Wed Mar 4th, 2009, 08:43 AM
I guess a good question for the street guys/gals would be, who switched and why?

Sully
Wed Mar 4th, 2009, 08:46 AM
Someone had too much coffee this morning haha....

:lol:... Jay, meet Vance.. he's like that ALL the time !!

Sully
Wed Mar 4th, 2009, 08:47 AM
Shit I have enough trouble with which side is the brake and which is the clutch thingy.

There's a brake?

puckstr
Wed Mar 4th, 2009, 08:48 AM
There's a brake?

It is connected to the sphincter muscle :slappers:

Buddau
Wed Mar 4th, 2009, 08:53 AM
I wish I could make my dirt bike GP shifting.

The GECCO
Wed Mar 4th, 2009, 09:26 AM
I wish I could make my dirt bike GP shifting.

I wished that for a while as well, but found that switching isn't a problem. I think the riding positions are different enough that my muscle memory knows when I'm on one or the other. I can hop off the race bike and on the WR and not miss a beat.

Spiderman
Wed Mar 4th, 2009, 10:44 AM
For those of you who have to switch between GP and non-GP shift, or if you sometimes forget your bike is GP shift, or if you just switched, or you're thinking about switching, here's some advice to help shorten up the learning curve:

Put a piece of masking tape on your tach with the letters "GP" on it. You may not look at your tach every time you shift, but you're prolly looking at your dash often enough that it'll help get ingrained in your memory a lot faster and with fewer pucker moments.

LambeauXLIV
Wed Mar 4th, 2009, 10:45 AM
^ good idea

konichd
Wed Mar 4th, 2009, 10:58 AM
If people want "GP Shift" decals to put on thier triple tree etc. let me know I have a vinyl cutter at the shop and can print some out. A little nicer than Bob's masking tape :)

TFOGGuys
Wed Mar 4th, 2009, 11:01 AM
I ride way too many bikes to switch mine to GP. I've ridden GP on the track and on customers' bikes, and don't see a huge advantage, at least for me. I adapt ok when I ride customer's bikes with GP, at least when they TELL me beforehand :banghead:

CYCLE_MONKEY
Wed Mar 4th, 2009, 11:21 AM
I would never do it, even if i raced since I still ride street. I don't want to make that mistake or have someone else ride my bike or me ride theirs and forget and crash.

Now, a better question is why neutral is between 1st and 2nd, instead of BELOW 1st? That would prevent the dreaded missed 1-2 shift, and make things much safer and make it far easier to find neutral at a stop.

Spiderman
Wed Mar 4th, 2009, 11:21 AM
If people want "GP Shift" decals to put on thier triple tree etc. let me know I have a vinyl cutter at the shop and can print some out. A little nicer than Bob's masking tape :)
Nice... tho the ugly masking tape could be incentive to learn faster (so it can be removed)! :lol:

But seriously, if you jump between GP & non-GP bikes, a nice decal would be the way to go IMHO. 8)

rforsythe
Wed Mar 4th, 2009, 11:29 AM
Now, a better question is why neutral is between 1st and 2nd, instead of BELOW 1st? That would prevent the dreaded missed 1-2 shift, and make things much safer and make it far easier to find neutral at a stop.

Here you go:
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Why_is_neutral_between_first_and_second_gear_on_mo torcycles

Apparently it was tried, and had exactly the opposite effect on safety.

64BonnieLass
Wed Mar 4th, 2009, 11:37 AM
Haha, okie dokie then:
"Now, imagine the situation if neutral were located at the bottom: you start slowing for the light. You begin tapping down. You're almost stopped, you tap into neutral, the light goes green, you rev the gas, and you tip over because you're out of gear. The fool behind you runs you over as your engine shoots a piston through your groin. Damn, that sucks."

I also changed my track bike back to standard/normal shift. Consistency is a good thing for me. :)

TFOGGuys
Wed Mar 4th, 2009, 11:41 AM
Here you go:
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Why_is_neutral_between_first_and_second_gear_on_mo torcycles

So it's not normal for my 64 Suzuki to have a neutral between each of it's 4 forward gears(sometimes)? :lol:

rforsythe
Wed Mar 4th, 2009, 11:44 AM
So it's not normal for my 64 Suzuki to have a neutral between each of it's 4 forward gears(sometimes)? :lol:

My old GSXR did that. Kinda scary at times when you're tipping into T1 at Pueblo (or at Mid America) at speed, and the bike starts playing "is it neutral, or isn't it?". Stupid shift star...

PsychoMike
Wed Mar 4th, 2009, 11:45 AM

i want one

CYCLE_MONKEY
Wed Mar 4th, 2009, 11:57 AM
Here you go:

Actually, I think those reasons suck. You could easily put mechanisms in place to prevent neutral at anything over a walking pace, and the most missed shift is the 1-2, right when you're leaving a stop.

rforsythe
Wed Mar 4th, 2009, 12:05 PM
Actually, I think those reasons suck. You could easily put mechanisms in place to prevent neutral at anything over a walking pace, and the most missed shift is the 1-2, right when you're leaving a stop.

So now you have something physically blocking the movement of gears once things get moving, and you expect that to work any better? :) Come on Frank, you're a mechanical engineer. You should know better. What happens when that thing jams up at 60mph? Or slips the bike into gear prematurely? Sorry, but I want absolutely nothing whatsoever influencing what gears I can find at any time, even if that means I miss a shift (which is a very rare occurrence if you're shifting properly and don't have a mechanical issue internally).

Besides, the 1-2 miss just isn't a big safety issue IMO. It isn't like if you don't apply throttle *right this millisecond* coming out of 1st, the bike will lurch to a stop and tip over. It'll coast quite comfortably at the 20-30mph you're probably going when you shift, if you don't press the lever hard enough and have to try again.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Wed Mar 4th, 2009, 05:18 PM
So now you have something physically blocking the movement of gears once things get moving, and you expect that to work any better? :) Come on Frank, you're a mechanical engineer. You should know better. What happens when that thing jams up at 60mph? Or slips the bike into gear prematurely? Sorry, but I want absolutely nothing whatsoever influencing what gears I can find at any time, even if that means I miss a shift (which is a very rare occurrence if you're shifting properly and don't have a mechanical issue internally).

Besides, the 1-2 miss just isn't a big safety issue IMO. It isn't like if you don't apply throttle *right this millisecond* coming out of 1st, the bike will lurch to a stop and tip over. It'll coast quite comfortably at the 20-30mph you're probably going when you shift, if you don't press the lever hard enough and have to try again.
Yet you implicitly trust the mechanism in your automatic trans that prevents reverse from being engaged at speed in drive? Interesting......:)

They can make it so the failsafe is to allow neutral at any speed. Besides, how many times have any of caught false neutrals in the upper gears at speed? That's not supposed to happen, yet besides a loud crunch nothing happens.

Slo
Thu Mar 5th, 2009, 08:10 AM
Besides, how many times have any of caught false neutrals in the upper gears at speed? That's not supposed to happen, yet besides a loud crunch nothing happens.

Haha, have had this happen to me a couple times while "committed" deep into a turn and it was not fun, completely unsettles the bike.....

Sean
Mon Mar 9th, 2009, 03:10 PM
Thought this might be interesting. I was just watching race 18 from 2008 and the camera did a close up of Chris Vermulen's foot. He's standard set up, not in a GP shift pattern. I had to rewind it because I was a little taken back. I wonder how many others do a non-GP shift pattern? He seems to get around the track okay (and by okay, I mean f'ing fast)...is it really an advantage?