PDA

View Full Version : Computer help

t_jolt
Thu Mar 5th, 2009, 09:34 AM
So my desktop died last night. Booted it up and the bios showed checksum errors. after resetting the bios back to defaults, it seems to boot ok to the windows screen. then it shutsdown and reboots. The temp in the case never gets about 66 degrees (yes, im a nerd) and the processor is cool to the touch. I was wondering if someone would be willing to let me test out there processor so i can see if its the motherboard or processor. I need a single core- intel unit that uses the lg775 socket. i litteraly need it for 5 mins. thats all.

Dana you happen to have one laying around?

Thanks guys

Tyrel

DevilsTonic
Thu Mar 5th, 2009, 10:03 AM
I dont' have any spares lying around or you'd be welcome to it.

Devaclis
Thu Mar 5th, 2009, 10:13 AM
Sorry man, I am AMD only in my home rigs :( I have no intel stuff.

Ricky
Thu Mar 5th, 2009, 10:30 AM
checksum errors are generally memory problems.

Resetting the bios means that potentially some memory timing settings were changed, causing the memory to run differently, and therefore causing fewer errors.

I have some extra pc2 6400 memory sitting around

Shea
Thu Mar 5th, 2009, 10:53 AM
http://www.memtest86.com/ for memory or use Vista's own if you run that. If you are losing bios settings your battery is dieing.

Ricky
Thu Mar 5th, 2009, 10:58 AM
http://www.memtest86.com/ for memory or use Vista's own if you run that. If you are losing bios settings your battery is dieing.

I've seen memory pass these tests when the timing is manually set on the memory, but the memory voltage is not adjusted accordingly. But then it still crashes Windows. This is due to the the sheer amount of bandwidth that windows uses, vs a standard memory test. The only sure fire way to test it is by swapping the hardware.

Devaclis
Thu Mar 5th, 2009, 11:04 AM
I've seen memory pass these tests when the timing is manually set on the memory, but the memory voltage is not adjusted accordingly. But then it still crashes Windows. The only sure fire way to test it is by swapping the hardware. (and resetting the bios to defaults of course)

I've seen this post before :)

Ricky
Thu Mar 5th, 2009, 11:14 AM
I'm surprised it got double posted, wtf?? :lol:

t_jolt
Thu Mar 5th, 2009, 01:27 PM
checksum errors are generally memory problems.

Resetting the bios means that potentially some memory timing settings were changed, causing the memory to run differently, and therefore causing fewer errors.

I have some extra pc2 6400 memory sitting around

Yeah i know the CMOS battery is on its way out.

What you have for memory? my box is a dual channel setup.

Thanks
Tyrel

Ricky
Thu Mar 5th, 2009, 01:37 PM
I got a pair of 1GB pc2-6400 (ddr2)

t_jolt
Thu Mar 5th, 2009, 01:41 PM
would you being willing to part with them? :)
test to see if its my memory, and if it is, pass a few bucks your way

Ricky
Thu Mar 5th, 2009, 01:48 PM
oh yeah, no problem. They're just sittin on my desk at home

t_jolt
Thu Mar 5th, 2009, 02:15 PM
pm'd