PDA

View Full Version : Who Here Uses Twitter, & What 'cha Think of it?

MetaLord 9
Thu Mar 5th, 2009, 12:25 PM
This isn't a ploy to get folks to follow each other or me on Twitter, but I'm genuinely curious as to who knows what it is, who uses it, who is addicted to it and what people think of it.

If you use it, how do you use it & what for? Do you use it to ask all you friends a question like "It's 6pm in DTC, where's a good happy hour?" Or do you use it to screw around, kinda like the kitteh pic threads on the CSC?Does anyone have it hooked up to their phone?

Oh and yes, I Can Has Cheezburger is on there too (ICHCHeezburger)

Aracheon
Thu Mar 5th, 2009, 12:28 PM
This isn't a ploy to get folks to follow each other or me on Twitter, but I'm genuinely curious as to who knows what it is, who uses it, who is addicted to it and what people think of it.

If you use it, how do you use it & what for? Do you use it to ask all you friends a question like "It's 6pm in DTC, where's a good happy hour?" Or do you use it to screw around, kinda like the kitteh pic threads on the CSC?Does anyone have it hooked up to their phone?

Oh and yes, I Can Has Cheezburger is on there too (ICHCHeezburger)

I originally signed up for it to keep track of new sale items on Woot.com. But now I also follow breaking news on CNN, a couple of my friends, as well as Shaq and Ashton Kutcher (they're both funny as shit.)

DevilsTonic
Thu Mar 5th, 2009, 12:29 PM
Never heard of it. I'm sure if it's like the CSC or myspace or facebook, if I got the app (if there is one for the iphone) I would be addicted to it too.

Aracheon
Thu Mar 5th, 2009, 12:38 PM
www.twitter.com

I don't use an app. All of my updates go through txt.

DevilsTonic
Thu Mar 5th, 2009, 12:43 PM
www.twitter.com (http://www.twitter.com)

I don't use an app. All of my updates go through txt.It's blocked at work. Looks like there is an iPhone app for it though.

Aracheon
Thu Mar 5th, 2009, 12:47 PM
There's an iPhone app for everything. ;)

Including pulling one's finger.

Player 2
Thu Mar 5th, 2009, 12:59 PM
Including pulling one's finger.

Funny you bring that App up Chris. A friend of mine is the one that created the iFart :D

I use Twitter but mostly for Internet Marketing purposes ;)

As for Twitter Apps, I use TweetDeck on the laptop and the Blackberry one on my... blackberry :lol: There's a couple of them for the Ipwn but I'm not sure which is the best/most popular.

You'd be surprised at how mainstream Twitter is becoming for media. The first media report when the plane crashed in Denver was pulled from a Twitter feed... :up: http://tweetathon2009.com/index.php?module=video&video=ciGOT-81oZI

asp_125
Thu Mar 5th, 2009, 01:27 PM
It's like a stripped down facebook. I looked at it, but I don't need to broadcast every little detail of my life: "It's 1:26 and I just farted".

Player 2
Thu Mar 5th, 2009, 01:29 PM
It's like a stripped down facebook. I looked at it, but I don't need to broadcast every little detail of my life: "It's 1:26 and I just farted".
I wouldn't say it's anything like Facebook.

Twitter is micro blogging, nothing more. Facebook is more likened to MySpace and the other friend "networks"

Not everyone tweets about every minute detail of their life. And of course, it's not for everyone ;)

MetaLord 9
Thu Mar 5th, 2009, 01:43 PM
:imwithstupid:

Actually Twitter is a lot more like the CSC than it is Facebook. On the CSC you're posting what you're doing/your comments & advice for the world to see. You're doing the exact same thing on Twitter except it's not organized into threads and forums. It's basically like a group txt message session where anyone that's following you can join in.

I.E.
MetaLord9 - "It's 6pm in DTC & I'm thirsty, where's a good beer for under $4?"
Player2 - "Baker street is down there & pretty good. on dtc & something else"
Metalord9 - "nice place or dive"
Aracheon - "try randomBar, they've got $2 drafts. BS is $$$"
Player2 - "oh yeah, forgot about that."
Metalord9 - "thx kids!"

InlineSIX24
Thu Mar 5th, 2009, 01:49 PM
I'm kind of torn on Twitter for marketing. I use it, but I often think of it as the Playschool version of Facebook for the mentally deficient. To me Facebook makes more sense for most uses since you can include as much content as you need.

Player 2
Thu Mar 5th, 2009, 01:50 PM
If you're torn on using Twitter for marketing, definitely check out my friend Joel's book on it http://TwitterPower.com

bulldog
Thu Mar 5th, 2009, 01:53 PM
If you're torn on using Twitter for marketing, definitely check out my friend Joel's book on it http://TwitterPower.com Off topic, but Jon your PM mailbox is full and will not receive any more PM's....

Player 2
Thu Mar 5th, 2009, 01:54 PM
Off topic, but Jon your PM mailbox is full and will not receive any more PM's....
Already rectified ;)

InlineSIX24
Thu Mar 5th, 2009, 02:28 PM
If you're torn on using Twitter for marketing, definitely check out my friend Joel's book on it http://TwitterPower.com

I understand that it works, I just don't like using it as much as Facebook. I definitely don't need another thing to keep up w/ on my cellphone so I've stuck w/ only using it on the comp.
I was reading this just a bit ago today:

Facebook, MySpace, Twitter, YouTube: What do these names all have in common?

They are all social networking sites that attract millions of users worldwide. In a fast-paced society that relies on such networking websites to relay information and keep up-to-date on anything from news to gossip, it is curious to wonder why more automotive companies have not used these websites to help promote and market their products. This is especially important for younger audiences.
Some progressive SEMA members are engaging in these new forms of communication.

“Turbonetics has always tried to be aggressive in emerging technologies and various forms of marketing," says Tyler Tanaka, marketing brand manager of Turbonetics. "It seems that social media networks have been lying in wait for businesses to realize their branding potential and are now catching on as excellent low-cost alternatives to traditional advertising.”

Ford recently announced a competition facilitated with the use of online social mediums. It has prepared to release 100 Fiestas—a subcompact it hopes will energize a new generation of buyers—to chosen participants on its www.Fiestamovement.com (http://www.fiestamovement.com/) website. The competition represents a big step forward in utilizing social networking in its marketing campaign.
Under this new venture, participants will be loaned new Fiestas to drive, documenting the experience publicly along the way. Ford is hoping to capitalize on the hype and press that these participants will generate on websites, such as Facebook, MySpace, YouTube and Twitter, by having them complete objectives and missions every month.
With the Fiesta already a successful platform in Europe, Ford hopes to bring its success here to the United States amidst the pushes to go green and minimize carbon footprints.

With more than 120 million users alone of Facebook and 110 million users on MySpace, companies and manufacturers have the chance to reach millions of people via social networking sites.
Tanaka sees potential with existing and new consumers alike.

"MySpace and YouTube started it all with a free way to communicate with enthusiasts, and Facebook has taken it to a new level," he explains. "Our ability to directly communicate with our product fans, enthusiasts and general consumers is greatly enhanced by participating inside these communities.”

Since 2007, SEMA has polled automotive enthusiasts about the websites they visit regularly. Automotive and lifestyle sites have been the focus of the research and indicate where consumers go for information and entertainment. Each year SEMA surveys more than 3,000 enthusiasts about their online activity and one striking statistic is the merging of these two messages; information and entertainment often overlap within the automotive lifestyle.
With this convergence, it is important to recognize the need to abide by social etiquette.

"Much like smart companies are finding out about forum sponsorships, users are not there to be hard sold products, nor are they always looking to buy," according to Tanaka. "It's a leisure activity that they enjoy and a community of very tight-knit people. Branding still has incredible leverage in the long term to help generate revenue.
Tanaka continues, "We all need to be cognizant of the right times to separate selling and branding. Do not overwhelm them. Spam in your e-mail inbox is the same thing as getting 'Poked', 'Mob-Wars invites', 'Passing A Drink,' etc. The list of digital garbage in social networks goes on and on. Treat people like you want to be treated electronically. Send out good content and people will thank you.”

http://www.semaenews.com/eNewsSizedImages/Table_2_030109_issue_115_Original.jpg

Of the 16-to-27 age group, nearly 90% of enthusiasts visit YouTube each month and roughly half (48%) have a Facebook account and are active with their profiles. MySpace, the once dominant portal, still remains the largest pool of the sites. Usage has remained somewhat flat as enthusiasts shift their attention elsewhere, however. As the leading automotive-focus community, CarDomain has sustained growth year over year, especially with the younger demographic.

One tempting feature of these types of sites is their accessibility; they are free to join. The initial costs to companies and manufacturers are minimal. As pointed out by Business Week however, maintaining a site or launching a successful marketing campaign can be more costly if expectations are set too high.
To build an audience, maintain a profile, create assets and sustain interaction with your target audience takes labor and expertise, usually in the form of a web-savvy employee.

“We invest a minimum of 30 minutes per day," Tanaka says. "It can be answering messages, posting pictures or videos or placing links to other cool and fun information. There is something else that I want to make sure people understand, however. Everything is digitally tied together to catch anyone that visits any one of our sites and expose them to as much information and branding as possible." — SEMA Research & Information Center

slayermd
Thu Mar 5th, 2009, 03:31 PM
I use it. Its a cool concept if you have actual people you know following you. Otherwise it's a good outlet for a lot of things. I use it to follow a few people from Revision 3, Engadget and other tech stuff. www.twitter.com/slayermd

InlineSIX24
Thu Mar 5th, 2009, 04:48 PM
This kind of sums up what I was thinking.

5 Reasons the New-Look Facebook Could Sink Twitter

http://www.websitemagazine.com/content/blogs/website_magazine_consumer_corner/archive/2009/03/05/5-reasons-the-new-look-facebook-could-sink-twitter.aspx

Player 2
Thu Mar 5th, 2009, 04:49 PM
This kind of sums up what I was thinking.
Only reason FB is even doing this is because they fucked up their acquisition of Twitter

Jason ON
Thu Mar 5th, 2009, 08:06 PM
I use twitter. I pose questions, make comments, or otherwise try to engage people. It also automatically updates my facebook, so if you've seen it one place ...

303Lurch
Thu Mar 5th, 2009, 09:54 PM
I ran across a twitter quote that I like "Facebook=people you used to know. Twitter=people you are going to know."

I use twitter for following investment advisors that market themselves on blogs and podcasts. I follow people in the same business that I am in. They are mainly pimping themselves, so it is quasi networking relationship. I occasionally twitter about things that I am doing in my line of work. I do not have many followers but I will get direct messages from non-followers about the tweets I make.

*GSXR~SNAIL*
Thu Mar 5th, 2009, 10:08 PM
...You'd be surprised at how mainstream Twitter is becoming for media. The first media report when the plane crashed in Denver was pulled from a Twitter feed... :up: http://tweetathon2009.com/index.php?module=video&video=ciGOT-81oZI

Interesting perception from the guy. I guess its natural for this to happen, considering. Listening to this guy at 2:35 of the feed above he says "The bottom just dropped out. I think we fell about 50 feet down into a ravine."

More like 10-12 feet and not into a ravine.

With that said, Twitter looks pretty cool. Have to check it out.

slayermd
Thu Mar 5th, 2009, 10:28 PM
You'd be surprised at how mainstream Twitter is becoming for media. The first media report when the plane crashed in Denver was pulled from a Twitter feed... :up: http://tweetathon2009.com/index.php?module=video&video=ciGOT-81oZI

Shit, I think it's weird enough that congress it using Twitter.

TurboGizzmo
Fri Mar 6th, 2009, 10:14 AM
I use it to vent and pass time from my phone....if i get frustrated with something I just post...sometimes people reply sometimes people dont....One time some microsoft rep replied and sent me a free office key because i was venting about a office issue.....