PDA

View Full Version : Spark Plugs ?

BlueDevil
Fri Jan 14th, 2005, 07:55 AM
Getting ready to replace plugs. I have always used OEM plugs. What are you all using?

03 R6 Race

Brand, type, price, where to buy?

BlueDevil
Fri Jan 14th, 2005, 09:52 AM
Anyone? Anyone? :D

Anonymous
Fri Jan 14th, 2005, 09:54 AM
Go to TK Motorsports, tell them what bike you have. You get a discount just for being a CSC member!

BlueDevil
Fri Jan 14th, 2005, 10:00 AM
cool Ill do that.

Whoa how about OEM YAmaha Filter.......76.00 sp fart. eeeeek

Anonymous
Fri Jan 14th, 2005, 02:00 PM
A better-performance aftermarket filter is cheaper than that! :shock: yikes.

~Barn~
Fri Jan 14th, 2005, 02:03 PM
My 2000 R1 responded real well to NGK iridium plugs.

NineTwoFour
Fri Jan 14th, 2005, 02:43 PM
I think Bart had recommended the Iridium plugs for my '03 as well.

But if I recall correctly they were considerably more expensive than OEM.

BlueDevil
Fri Jan 14th, 2005, 03:28 PM
OEM part # CR9EK

NGK Iridium # CR9EIX 6.95 ea on NGK.com

Sparker
Fri Jan 14th, 2005, 03:57 PM
i didnt notice a difference with the iridium.

Devil954
Fri Jan 14th, 2005, 04:40 PM
I wouldnt think you will get much if any noticable performance out of a sparkplug technically you probably would but as far as being able to notice it I doubt it

Bueller
Fri Jan 14th, 2005, 06:17 PM
I would use the oem's @ 1/2 the price and buy 2 sets and change 'em twice as often, and keep them fresh. Mostly "gimick" plugs don't do much more than drain the wallet.

~Barn~
Fri Jan 14th, 2005, 06:27 PM
From all the additional opinion I've read here, I guess maybe iridium's aren't worth the money. Although, I still say that my bike ran as good as ever after Bart put in some new plugs for me.

Although, it was in concert with a complete tune-up and valve job, so maybe it was just the effect of the whole service. :dunno:

Feathered upstart!
Fri Jan 14th, 2005, 06:36 PM
My bike seems to go pretty bloodt fast with OEM

BlueDevil
Sat Jan 15th, 2005, 02:59 PM
Ok well they are with in .50 cents different straight from NGK......

Another question: I have every thing torn apart. Heat plate wasnt as tough as I thought it would be. Now I got the ignition coils off and I am wondering exactly what tool and size I need to get the plugs out? Im assuming its not the same as a car...............

PS OEM's (From a dealer) are more...... I was quoted 8.50 - 10.00 by all the Yamaha dealers in town.

Side note: I did a little research and AIr filters dont always need to be replaced. They can be cleaned (from my understanding) I ran mine in a gentle cycle in the wash and came out spotless and new. Im letting it dry now to make sure there is no damage or residue of any kind. Figured it cant hurt to try.... Saves money and if it doesnt work out.....well I had to buy a new one anyway. (Coyote had the best price on the OEM 63.00)

80.00 my a$$...... :321:

Devil954
Sun Jan 16th, 2005, 03:03 PM
Dion why didnt you go with a K&N or BMC filter they never need replacement and have much better airflow they pay for themselves if you replace your filter often and add a bit of performance I bought a BMC race filter for $90.00 not too bad considering oem prices .

BlueDevil
Mon Jan 17th, 2005, 06:16 AM
Well My PCIII map is done by Tk with the stock Air filter and full exhaust System....... If I change the filter to K&N or BMC it would change the effectiveness of my map..... Then getting 90.00 BMC and another map would be more than its worth.

Turns out the stock filter can be washed. I washed it and it is like new. Should gt my plugs tomorrow and then we will start putting her back together..... :D