PDA

View Full Version : cutting exhaust

Sean
Sat Mar 7th, 2009, 03:39 PM
I saw this on the R6 forum. I'd like to do something to my stock exhaust to drop some weight without spending much cash. Sound is the least of my worries, just don't want it to be to loud. But I thought I remember hearing something about how the air pulsates a certain distance and changing the exhasut can alter the performance. True? So in the pic below someone chopped the stock exhaust.

Anyone done it? Is it the worst idea ever? suggestions? insults? Thanks. :up:

TFOGGuys
Sat Mar 7th, 2009, 03:48 PM
Shortening the stock can will make it louder and lighter, but most likely will not yield much in the way of performance. It you want short and obnoxious, we could always get you a Scorpion shorty slip on, if you hate it, you would still have your stocker.

Sean
Sat Mar 7th, 2009, 04:07 PM
Thanks Jim! :up: One of these days I'm going to take back all of those bad things I said about you. :slappers:

Lighter is the objective, the rest is secondary. I'm tired of always leaning to one side. I don't really need to gain power, I just don't want to lose any. Plus, New exhaust= $300-500 :( Chopping exaust= tools, beer and displaced agression :)

jimwallace
Sat Mar 7th, 2009, 05:05 PM
i did it to my 2002 zx6r and it did open up the breathing a bit, but most of all it is one of the best sounding bikes i have ever heard. (as long as you dont mind loud) however the noise you can adjust by how much packing you put in it.

Jim_Vess
Sat Mar 7th, 2009, 05:26 PM
I thought about doing it to my R6's stock can until I heard a shortened one up close and personal. They are loud as hell and the sound is shitty.

Personally, I'd look for a used slip-on on craigslist or eBay.

rybo
Sat Mar 7th, 2009, 05:39 PM
I thought about doing it to my R6's stock can until I heard a shortened one up close and personal. They are loud as hell and the sound is shitty.

Personally, I'd look for a used slip-on on craigslist or eBay.

+1 on this....

When we do your brake lines we can discuss some options, but this wouldn't be my first choice. I've got all the tools here if you want to try it.

Another option would be to buy another stock exhaust on e-bay and we can do the mod on it, put it on your bike and see if you like it?

s

konichd
Sat Mar 7th, 2009, 05:47 PM
There are several companies that make race baffles (AR for example), etc. for this application. I would take Rybo's suggestion and get a stocker off e-bay and cut it, pack it, cut it again, repack it, etc. until you find something you like.

Sean
Sat Mar 7th, 2009, 06:16 PM
When we do your brake lines we can discuss some options, but this wouldn't be my first choice. I've got all the tools here if you want to try it.I thought I would try and sneak in a consult with the guru. :hump: And seriously, what don't you have in your garage?

There are several companies that make race baffles (AR for example), etc. for this application. I would take Rybo's suggestion and get a stocker off e-bay and cut it, pack it, cut it again, repack it, etc. until you find something you like. :up: Thanks, I was thinking about race baffles, just didn't want it to be to loud, (and current cash status). But it does sound good try different lenghts. Good tip.

mnfire
Sun Mar 8th, 2009, 11:49 PM
i did this to the stock pipe on my 2002 R6. sounds fine maybe a little deeper then stock, but really not louder. I painted the middle part black and it looks pretty clean on my bike.

Slo
Mon Mar 9th, 2009, 08:17 AM
I had my 06 gsxr 1000, shortened the yosh slip on. Before shortening it, the slip on did not affect performance at all. However after shortening it, it seemed to severely lose low and some mid range. Couldn't tell a difference up top, but then again, I had never topped it out in any gear until I went to a track a couple months later.

The sound, it just made it a bit deeper, not too much louder though. Then again, your bike is different.... Would I do it again? No
http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/7309/959170492c830f80a31olt0.jpg
http://img74.imageshack.us/img74/9612/9689149227bcb94c27bosf3.jpg

Sean
Mon Mar 9th, 2009, 08:37 AM
i did this to the stock pipe on my 2002 R6. sounds fine maybe a little deeper then stock, but really not louder. I painted the middle part black and it looks pretty clean on my bike.Thanks for the info mnfire! :up:

However after shortening it, it seemed to severely lose low and some mid range. Could you elaborate a little, Jay? Lose, as in the throttle or something else?

Would I do it again? No
Because of the above statement?

Slo
Mon Mar 9th, 2009, 08:53 AM
Lost low and mid range power. Meaning you turn the throttle and it doesn't have as much tq. It used to be as quick as the busa right off the line, but after shortening the exhaust, you would have to wait till it got up in the revs before the power came back.

I wouldn't do it again just from the performance loss.

Sean
Mon Mar 9th, 2009, 08:59 AM
Lost low and mid range power. Meaning you turn the throttle and it doesn't have as much tq. It used to be as quick as the busa right off the line, but after shortening the exhaust, you would have to wait till it got up in the revs before the power came back.

I wouldn't do it again just from the performance loss.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking might be effected by changing the geometry and airflow out of the engine. Unfortunatly, it makes sense :( Thanks for your input :up:

tl1000riders
Tue Mar 10th, 2009, 07:40 AM
I have a stock can for an 03 r6. I can sell it to you pretty cheap and you can practice with it. If you don't like it you will still have one that's stock!:)

Sean
Tue Mar 10th, 2009, 08:53 AM
I have a stock can for an 03 r6. I can sell it to you pretty cheap and you can practice with it. If you don't like it you will still have one that's stock!:)Thanks Mike :up: I'm going to do a little more research before I start cutting, but it's nice to know there are some quick local options if I fuck it up real bad. :hump:

rybo
Tue Mar 10th, 2009, 11:57 AM
99 and 03 exhaust systems are pretty different....could you make it work? probably, but that isn't the same system

s

Thanks Mike :up: I'm going to do a little more research before I start cutting, but it's nice to know there are some quick local options if I fuck it up real bad. :hump:

Sean
Tue Mar 10th, 2009, 12:36 PM
99 and 03 exhaust systems are pretty different....could you make it work? probably, but that isn't the same system

sUm, hello, they look the same, therefore they must be the same :up: Jeeze, debbie downer is raining on my innovative parade. :slappers:

j/k Scott. Don't worry, all potential modifications (manufactured and inspired) will only be followed through, after a personal consultation with the Rybo School of Awesomeness, and a seal of approval has been granted (usually in the form a scratch and sniff sticker).

rybo
Tue Mar 10th, 2009, 01:30 PM
Um, hello, they look the same, therefore they must be the same :up: Jeeze, debbie downer is raining on my innovative parade. :slappers:

j/k Scott. Don't worry, all potential modifications (manufactured and inspired) will only be followed through, after a personal consultation with the Rybo School of Awesomeness, and a seal of approval has been granted (usually in the form a scratch and sniff sticker).

All "ryboized" bikes get an official "thumbs-up" test ride....

(note to people who are about to point out that I've fallen down a couple times in the past few years...I have a ban hammer and I'm itchin' to use it)

sag
Tue Mar 10th, 2009, 01:36 PM
did it to my friends bike. it looks good but is the worst sounding bike ive ever heard! we repacked it as much as possible and it is so raspy. anything above 3k rpms makes me embarrassed to be riding with him lol.

http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v2144/247/66/19225828/n19225828_37881389_385.jpg

Sean
Tue Mar 10th, 2009, 01:56 PM
All "ryboized" bikes get an official "thumbs-up" test ride....

(note to people who are about to point out that I've fallen down a couple times in the past few years...I have a ban hammer and I'm itchin' to use it)That's not fair. You can't have a sentence with the words "ryboized" and "test ride" in it, without a little fun :no:

Sortarican
Tue Mar 10th, 2009, 02:03 PM
I did this to my '00 R6. Wasn't too tough.
Nice sound (not too load at all) and a little weight gain, but yhere's a liitle bogging on low revs.
Didn't notice much change mid to high revs.

I do want to tack weld the return plate back on one of these days and see if it regains the low end I lost.

Next time we're all out together we can discuss the details of what the insides are like.
Other nice thing is it still has the DOT markings in case I'm pulled over.

jimwallace
Wed Mar 11th, 2009, 09:15 AM
did it to my friends bike. it looks good but is the worst sounding bike ive ever heard! we repacked it as much as possible and it is so raspy. anything above 3k rpms makes me embarrassed to be riding with him lol.

http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v2144/247/66/19225828/n19225828_37881389_385.jpg
You probably overpacked it then, it may end up a little louder by taking out some packing but it will allow it to resonate inside the canister more and give it a smoother sound, imo.

also when i did it to my 02 zx6r i jumped up to some hotter burning plugs (went from cr9e to cr8e plugs) and a k&n filter and i had no power loss whatsoever, actually a small gain.

usmcab35
Tue Mar 17th, 2009, 04:07 PM
i did it on my zx7r and it didnt do a thing but make it a little lighter and sound like a raped ape