PDA

View Full Version : Anybody been on the Cabot Trail before?

troythetroll
Fri Jan 14th, 2005, 09:46 PM
Was just wondering, what type of weather to expect in June. Also, prices of lodging, how hard are the ferrys to get a reservation on, on short notice, is gasoline as far and few between as say, the Dalton Highway, or is it not a problem for even a short ranged bike ( 150 miles ).

Not that its a natural place for someone from Colorado to head off to, but I thought an attempt at information was worth it.

OldKneeDragger
Sun Jan 16th, 2005, 09:57 PM
I can't offer any words of wisdom but it sounds like a good time. Keep us informed as to how the plans come together :) So are you wanting to take the ferry to Newfoundland and Labrador? What a great ride that would be!!!

troythetroll
Sun Jan 16th, 2005, 10:36 PM
You know how much that ferry costs? Its outrageous! The current plan is to leave here, stopping to visit family in Ohio, then across the top of PA on US6, north to the west entrance to the Adirondacks, Lake Placid, across the Green and White mountains doing Mt Washington if possible, coast of Maine into New Brunswick, landroute to Sydney Nova Scotia, Cabot Trail, down the southern coast of Nova Scotia all the way around to Digby, ferry from Digby to Saint Johns, then back down the coast for siteseeing in Boston, then back across PA on whatever other roads than 6 we can find. Labrador adds just enough time to the trip to make it a definite maybe...but the prices for the ferry are more than the gas bill for the entire trip....as much as I'd like to see Labrador....it might have to wait until next time.

Anonymous
Sun Jan 16th, 2005, 11:05 PM
You planning on hiking Mt. Washington, or driving up the Auto road?

troythetroll
Sun Jan 16th, 2005, 11:45 PM
auto road. I tried it once in 88 and got rained out....well....rain at the bottom, snow at the top...and this was in June I believe.

The time frame for this trip is June as well, so who knows what the weather is gonna be like.

I told my buddy to be ready for non stop rain at 45F for a 400 mile day and figured if we can handle that, we'll generally be okay for whatever the weather might do that time of year. Hopefully.

This summer we caged up to the Arctic Ocean at Prudhoe Bay....in 2005 we're practicing at this bike trip thing in Nova Scotia, we plan on going back to Prudhoe on bikes the year after.

GSL
Mon Jan 24th, 2005, 06:13 AM
I went up and rode the Cabot Trail in 2004. Rode all over Nova Scotia around the end of May and 1st of June. Temps were a little chilly, and Mount Mackenzie Pass still had plenty of snow on the shoulders. The locals were saying that the cold temps had held on unseasonably long, and basically, the best time of the year to visit is a toss up. If you can handle the colder temps, it beats dealing with the hummingbird sized mosquitos that come out about a week after it warms up.

Hotel rates were reasonable, and you don't need reservations anywhere if you go late May. We stayed in a hotel that overlooked the causeway over to Cape Breton. Place prolly had 200 rooms, and we were one of three of the booked rooms. I think their high season is more like July/August.

Just a hunch, but I think riding the Cabot Trail counter-clockwise (CCW) is the best. We didn't turn around and do it clockwise, but the scenery really opens up nicely for you going CCW. Also, the real twisty sections are mostly uphills going CCW. If you prefer your twisties downhill, go CW.

Beware of the causeway going over to Cape Breton. I got stuck out in the middle of it and waited about 45 minutes for a barge to go thru the locks that are built into the bridge on the far north end. I had ocean spray all over me by the time I got off the causeway (very cold and windy day).

Cheers,
Will

troythetroll
Mon Jan 24th, 2005, 07:57 AM
Thanks!

I had planned on being there more the middle of June between the Road America and Brainerd AMA rounds.