PDA

View Full Version : Considering moving to Colorado

Celerity
Mon Mar 9th, 2009, 09:25 PM
Hello all, first allow me to introduce myself. My name is Justin and I'm from Tulsa, OK. I'm 26 years old and have been riding sport bikes for about 4 years now. I recently got into dirt bikes as well. I currently ride a 2008 GSX-R 1000 and a Yamaha WR250F. The riding around here is average at best for street bikes, we have to venture over to Arkansas for the good roads. The track scene is decent, with Hallett raceway about a 45 minute drive and all of the Texas and Kansas tracks within several hours. Now here's where I need some input.

I work for Bank of Oklahoma Financial, who owns Colorado State Bank & Trust. There's an opening for a branch manager at the Lakewood, Co branch and I'm considering posting for it. I've only been to Colorado once, but I absolutely loved it. Beautiful state that offers a tremendous amount of recreational fun.

So I have some questions:

-Is Lakewood a nice town to live in?
-How far is it from some canyon carving twisties?
-About how long is the riding season in Colorado?
-What tracks are within a few hours? Prices reasonable?
-How's the trail riding scene?

That's just a few of the many questions I have for now. Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated as well!

Thanks,
Justin

d3spair
Mon Mar 9th, 2009, 09:39 PM
As a point of reference, one of my best friend's moved out to OK last year and hasn't looked back. He loves it there. Then again he's from the Springs like me, not Denver.

Bonuses here are generally sunny/mild weather (like this Winter riding every month basically) with twisties that are literally minutes away.

DevilsTonic
Mon Mar 9th, 2009, 10:20 PM
You'll love Colorado and lakewood isn't that bad, it depends on the part of lakewood I suppose. The sportbike riding is great. I haven't been on a dirt bike in close to 10 years since i got my first sportbike, so I can't give you much on that. I do know that Rampart Range and 1000 trails is good for dirt riding.

We have a few tracks out here, which you have to go through a safety course to do track days etc. Check out chicanetrackdays.com if you're looking for information on track days here.

You can probably ride here close to 300 days a year, though I wouldn't recommend riding in the mountains until after a good spring rain to wash away the mag chloride and the gravel. Riding in the winter isn't all that bad if you have the right gear.

If you do make it out here, keep an eye on the board. We post get togethers and rides regularly.

And welcome!!

*KEN*
Mon Mar 9th, 2009, 10:34 PM
I like living in Lakewood. Some of it is nice and some of it is a little shady. I'm sure that you could find a decent neighborhood that isn't too far from work. That said, it's not the most trendy part of the Denver Metro. I live about 15 minutes from downtown Denver (w/o traffic). Part of why I like Lakewood is that it is closer to the mountains than most of the Metro area - I'm also ~15 min from the twisties.

The riding season depends on how brave you are. My season generally lasts April-October with a few days in March & November. There are a good number of Winter days that end up being 50-60 degrees or more. Keep in mind that it's generally colder in the twisties and there's often sand on the roads (put down for cars when it snows). It's usually not enough to make riding un-enjoyable, but use some restraint.

Local tracks are Pueblo Motorsports Park, Pikes Peak International Raceway, and Highplanes raceway (brand new). Outside of that I think you're going to end up driving 7+ hours to the next track (West to Miller, South to Sandia, or East to the ones you're used to). Check out Chicane Trackdays for, well, trackdays. Check out the MRA for club racing.

Hope that helps some.

Bueller
Tue Mar 10th, 2009, 06:10 AM
Colorado is great!

Too many transplants though :(

McVaaahhh
Tue Mar 10th, 2009, 08:39 AM
-Is Lakewood a nice town to live in?

Lakewood has everything from low income housing to million dollar homes so it really depends on which part of Lakewood. General rule would be the further west the better. Pretty much anything west of Wadsworth and south of 6th ave is good. :up:
[/quote]

-How far is it from some canyon carving twisties?

About 5 minutes.

-About how long is the riding season in Colorado?

You can ride year round, as we'll see plenty of 60 and even 70 degree days in December-February. Generally the twisties are rideable from April through October where they are fairly clear of sand and ice.

-What tracks are within a few hours? Prices reasonable?

If you're talking streetbikes, there are at least four tracks within 2 hours of Denver. Prices range from somewhere around $35 for a weekday open day at IMI to $200 for a full track day at HPR or PPIR. Check out http://www.chicanetrackdays.com/ for some info.

-How's the trail riding scene?

I'm not too knowledgeable with trail riding, but I do know there are quite a few trails all over the state. You won't have to go to far from home.

Colorado's a great place to live, so you're lucky if you do get to move here.

neh
Tue Mar 10th, 2009, 09:17 AM
states full

btw, it's www.highplainsraceway.com

Matrix
Tue Mar 10th, 2009, 10:52 AM
I think we rode together a few times in Tulsa. I moved up from Jenks about a year and half ago so let me know if you have any questions. I have the same name on the TSC board as well.

Snowman
Tue Mar 10th, 2009, 10:53 AM
Being an escapee from land of the red man myself, I can testify to you honestly…

Dude, you so have to escape from Oklahoma. I can’t tell you how much better life in general is out here than the never ending treeless flat lands.

They have these things called mountains with roads that actually have turns in them. Yes, you can actually change direction of your vehicle without having to stop at an intersection. I know growing up as an Okie I didn’t believe they existed when I heard about them myself, but they are real. And they even go up and down like a roller coaster. No more having to go to places like Frontier City to experience vertical movement, these roads are right outside your door.

And with so much less air here so there is no humidity. Yes that’s right, you can stand outside in the summer and not instantly be covered in sweat. Can you believe it, No sweating, ever…

And the snow is nothing like what you have there. You just blow it off like it was dust. No more kicking the side of you car to because the snow has sealed your car doors shut.

It’s paradise man!
Just don’t tell the Texans… Were trying to keep them out.

Suki
Tue Mar 10th, 2009, 10:55 AM
i'm sorry, we're all booked up and can not accomodate new reservations. please book your stay at a later date or consider california.

Have a great day and thanks for your inquiry!

Mother Goose
Tue Mar 10th, 2009, 10:59 AM
Tulsa spelled backwards is aslut..... think about it. ;)

Brian answered most of these, but I thought I'd keep it on topic. :lol:

-Is Lakewood a nice town to live in? yes it is, I've lived there before and it's nice cause it's close to everything.

-How far is it from some canyon carving twisties? depending on where in Lakewood you are, 5-10 minutes.

-About how long is the riding season in Colorado? year round, i say. I put 10,000 miles on a bike in a year. i was riding whenever there wasn't snow on the ground.

-What tracks are within a few hours? Prices reasonable? don't know the prices, but HPR is opening and it's the closest. PPIR is a good 1:45ish away and Pueblo is about 2ish hours.

Mental
Tue Mar 10th, 2009, 11:05 AM
I lived in Norman for 4 years. Let me say this, I love Oklahoma, I do, its a great place, great food, good peaple, low taxes and the whole bit. I am due back in Septenber so take all of that into mind when i say this,

You will love it here. I never road trails until I got here and ended up with a trail bike. The roads are great, I ride almost every month of the year and the tracks are great.

Buuut, coming from OK, be prepared for a little sticker shock when looking for a place to live. Even with the downturn in the market, its gonna cost you a little more to live here than even in Tulsa. You may have to step down size wise in your living arrangements, but with all the great riding within minutes of almost anywhere, the great hiking and walking trails and a host of other outdoor activities besides the obvious motorcycles and skiing, it will be worth it.

Don't even get me started on the great beer. When I move back I am gonna have to make a few trips here just to load up with micro brews.

So everyone who's worried about the state getting full, you are losing one okie for another so its a one for one trade, and for every okie that moves here, thats one less Californian

Big-J
Tue Mar 10th, 2009, 11:08 AM
Sorry man, Colorado is currently not accepting any new male residents as it will fuck up the F to M ratio. We will keep your resume on file though, try back again next year. :)

:lol:
j/k
Colorado is f'in awesome!

zetaetatheta
Tue Mar 10th, 2009, 11:11 AM
Coming from Tulsa it's like going from rectum to vajayjay:hump:

Mother Goose
Tue Mar 10th, 2009, 11:21 AM
It's looser?? :think:

Snowman
Tue Mar 10th, 2009, 11:38 AM
Oh and they lie about how cold it is here as well.

I have never been as cold here compared to winters in Oklahoma even when they say it’s below freezing. I think it is a state law that all temperature measuring devices have to read 10 degrees lower than what the actual temperature is. Another way to keep the Texans out I imagine.

asp_125
Tue Mar 10th, 2009, 11:57 AM
Sorry there are no canyons and twisties... it's just tourism advertising. The good riding roads cannot accept more bikes at this time, thank you. ;)

Mental
Tue Mar 10th, 2009, 12:11 PM
rectum?...

...DAMM NEAR KILLED EM!

Love that joke

Tipys
Tue Mar 10th, 2009, 12:22 PM
Well I am an okie as well. Got out as fast as I could 1year 6months after being born. I have driven through across OK twice and from that alone I don't want to drive throw there again let alone live or try and find a cruvy road. CO is amazing in the summer time not to hot and not cold almost prefect is the word to use.

Celerity
Tue Mar 10th, 2009, 04:09 PM
Thanks for all of the responses, ladies and gents. I especially like the "state's full" comments, confirms I'm missing out on a good thing not living there. :)

JoeW, I assume you meant you posted on TSR. If so, I'm sure we have at least run in to eachother once. So for comparisons sake, how satisfied are you with the move?