PDA

View Full Version : Registering a Salvage Title Bike in Colorado?

ImolaFem
Sun Jan 16th, 2005, 04:48 PM
Is it possible? what does one need to do? Just wondering if I could buy a salvage title bike and get plates for it so its legal to ride on the street...

Does anyone in here personally take care of it if there is something that can be done?

ZX12r_Pat
Mon Jan 17th, 2005, 02:04 AM
Hey there,

Call the State Patrol Office in the Springs, talk to Trooper Don Vigil 719-227-3219 or the main office # 719-635-0385. There are several things you need to get done prior to getting a vehicle with a salvage title registered. It can be done, though. Call Trooper Vigil as he is a certified VIN inspector.

Also info here: http://www.csp.state.co.us/vin.cfm

Good Luck

Pat

Cleveland
Mon Jan 17th, 2005, 07:59 AM
wow. kinda cool having a cop around.

never thought i would hear myself type that. :lol: no offence to the fuzz.

ImolaFem
Mon Jan 17th, 2005, 08:54 AM
Thanks for the info. I've given Don a call and left a msg.

ZX12r_Pat
Mon Jan 17th, 2005, 12:37 PM
:) :) :)

COGIXX
Mon Jan 17th, 2005, 07:07 PM
If I'm not mistaken, Vigil is a Goldwing rider! Real cool guy!

ImolaFem
Tue Jan 18th, 2005, 09:53 AM
Does anyone have a salvage title bike that they are insuring? What company do you use and how much do you pay?

metalnicx
Sat Jan 22nd, 2005, 01:06 PM
I bought my bike (Suzuki SV650) with a salvage title. Currently I have Progressive (approx ~$180/year). I can't quite remember all the things you need but here's what I remember...

1. The Title (All signed and filled out correctly)
2. Proof of Insurance
3. This is the tricky one. I think you need some sort of paperwork saying that this is a salvage bike. My memorys fadeing.

That's all I can remember. I'd suggest calling that cop friend or just calling the DMV and ask them. Hope that helps.

elmog
Wed Jan 26th, 2005, 03:09 PM
I have personally gone through the process several times. Yes you can get it legal to ride on the street and yes you can get insurance. (at least liability - I can't say about comp)

You will need to make an appt. with a police dept or state patrol and have the bike inspected. They will need to see that the bike is road worthy and you will have to have all your paperwork of where you purchased it and what was done to it to repair it and receipts etc. You will also now need to have the frame stamped or engraved to say "REBUILT FROM SALVAGE" someplace visible.

After they 'sign-off' and give you your paper work. You simply take it to the DMV and you can get plates for it. They will send you a new title that will have '(S)' on it to indicate it was formerly salvaged. Also when you sell it, you have to have the buyer sign a form that they know it was salvaged.

Many bikes are salvaged for simply being dropped as you know how much replacement parts can cost.

Good luck with your rebuild.

ImolaFem
Wed Jan 26th, 2005, 05:12 PM
Thanks, it looks like we found a bike that was salvage in another state and already registered there...when I talked to the cop he didn't say anything about needing the receipts...and he said the dmv should give me temp tags for it so I can ride it down there to be checked out. Doesn't sound too painful really =)

elmog
Wed Jan 26th, 2005, 06:03 PM
If it had already been repaired and registered in another state I don't *think* you really need to bring it to the police. Any vehicle or trailer from out of state does need a VIN inspection when brought in to Colorado but they can do that at the Air Care Colorado for like $15. My guess is the police will just provide that same service for you but I'm nearly positive you didn't have to go through them. Congrats on the new ride.

ZX12r_Pat
Wed Jan 26th, 2005, 06:33 PM
I can do a VIN inspection for you .. For Free. Not a certified one, but a regular one.

Let me know.