PDA

View Full Version : How do I convince a friend NOT to get a 1000 for a first bike?

LambeauXLIV
Wed Mar 11th, 2009, 12:05 AM
He wants a sportbike, and I am fully confidant that he would be fine on a 600, but I don't think he fully comprehends the power difference between a 600 and a 1000.

He found a pretty good deal on a 1000, so how do I convince him that the good deal is not worth it?

thatmofo
Wed Mar 11th, 2009, 12:18 AM
Don't. Let him do it and just tell him to seriously be careful. I still wish I started on a 1000.

If it's that important to you, let him ride your 600 for awhile.

LambeauXLIV
Wed Mar 11th, 2009, 12:23 AM
The thing is, if he crashes and hurts himself just once, it will F up his life (don't ask me how, just take my word)...

thatmofo
Wed Mar 11th, 2009, 12:27 AM
This is the best compromise I could justify when I was going to do it:

Get a 1000 with the Suzuki Drive Mode Selector (S-DMS). From what I hear there is a 50 whp difference between the two extreme modes. Tell him to keep it in the C mode until he proves himself to be a worthy rider.

Is this guy going to track the bike or just straight line fly on it?

LambeauXLIV
Wed Mar 11th, 2009, 12:28 AM
right now he's looking at an 01 gsxr 1k, so no DMS...

I think he'll mainly ride street and canyons

RajunCajun
Wed Mar 11th, 2009, 12:31 AM
Have him watch this video of a poor bastard that got a 1000, tried to keep up with his duchebag friend, who was trying to show off, crashed and is now paralyzed. The guy had no experience and not a very good teacher, apparently. I personally know guys that started on 1000s, with MotoX experience, and ended up fine, but there are waaayyyyy more that have been scraped up with a shovel to be put into multiple bags....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfD-W82NmE0

I hope these vids open his eyes! I know that everyone has their own opinion, and most guys don't want to look like pussies(no offence to all you pussies out there, no, just kidding:slappers:)by riding what their duchebag friends would call a "girl's bike" no offence to all you girls, that might pass me in the curves:slap: . But, a smaller bike(250, 500) would actually be waayyy better. Most guys, including myself didn't want to go that route. I started on a 95 600 and was super thankful that it was as forgiving as it was cuz if it were a 1K, I'da crashed hard a couple of times.

This is a thread from 1000RR.net, which is full of riders, and track racers, REALLY experienced riders! It's a discussion on the vid above and on newbies getting 1Ks. http://www.1000rr.net/forums/showthread.php?t=59934&highlight=crash I don't think you need to be a member to view the threads.

Good Luck!!

XJ600s
Wed Mar 11th, 2009, 12:48 AM
Every new rider says they won't twist the throttle and get over-cocky with how a motorcycle handles. Almost every young new rider does though, no matter what your first bike is. That is, until you learn to control the throttle and realize that you are cooler than everyone else just because you are on a motorcycle, not because you can accelerate stupid fast.

A good friend of mine, 5'4" and maybe 140lbs got a 2003 F4i as his first bike. Me and another friend warned him not to, because he always has had the attitude that he has to make up for his size. Ended up trying to keep up with a friend in the canyons, didn't know how to control the bike in hard sharp turns going fast and ended up low siding. Granted there was a nice pullout right there, he still got really banged up. He figured he could have kept up just because he had the power.

It's the type of thing that you hope they understand the power of a modern motorcycle and respect it. Tell him that if he can't pay for the entire year's insurance at full coverage in one payment on that bike, he shouldn't get it. Assuming he is under 25 and its his first bike, it should be well over $2000, as when I was pricing out an 00-03 R6, it was coming up at about $1400 through multiple agencies, granted I wanted full coverage and not the bare minimum in CO (which I believe is like $25k). Oh, and I'm 23, been riding for 1.5 years now and my rate dropped only like $20 when I renewed my insurance. But thats $20 on a full coverage policy through Progressive for $200 with a Sport Touring Seca2 599cc bike.

thatmofo
Wed Mar 11th, 2009, 01:11 AM
Wow RajunCajun. That really sucks.

cromer611
Wed Mar 11th, 2009, 01:40 AM
think of it thise way, back in the 80s the "big bikes" back then went as fast as the 600s today, and the guys that rode those "big bikes" were pros.

on todays bikes, either 160 or 200mph into a wall, you still gon die.

Think
Wed Mar 11th, 2009, 02:11 AM
Every new rider says they won't twist the throttle and get over-cocky with how a motorcycle handles. Everyone does though, no matter what your first bike is. That is, until you learn to control the throttle and realize that you are cooler than everyone else just because you are on a motorcycle, not because you can accelerate stupid fast.
I can honestly say I never went wide open on the throttle for a long while with my first bike which was a 636. I think I was pretty damn responsible with the power and I knew the consequences. However, I do agree that most people, especially younger guys around my age, tend to be complete idiots on their bikes.

For someone who has NEVER ridden anything before, he might as well write up a nice will as a liter bike is literally suicide.

Funny how when I park my bike on campus, almost every rocket I park next to has something wrong with it. I rarely ever see a bike without a crack or rash on the fairings.

rforsythe
Wed Mar 11th, 2009, 07:19 AM
How old is this guy? Like XJ600 stated, insurance can be a complete bitch for anyone young or with a bad driving record, thanks to the thousands of other people who were young or had bad records that went and got 1000's cause it was the badass-est thing out there, and wadded it up into a ball. Have him price that out before buying the bike and see where he stands.

I still wish I started on a 1000.

Out of curiosity, why? Other than straight line speed (and even then, only after a certain point) and wheelie-monster antics, I know many, many people who will flat out spank liter bikes on 600's in canyons and other places. Power does not necessarily equal speed.

I'm glad I started on a 600. I had poor impulse control for a little while as it was, and I'd have just wound up dead on a liter. I'm quite certain of that.

Devaclis
Wed Mar 11th, 2009, 07:31 AM
If you cannot have a serious discussion with him about this, you cannot help him make the right choice, period.

If he your friend, and you can communicate without all the macho bullshit, then he should at least hear you out, listen to your concerns and advice, and think about it. Most people will do what they want any way. It is part of their douchebaggery. If he DOES get a liter bike, kick it over break something on it. something that will either break so he cannot rider it or something important enough to end your friendship.

/igivebadadvice

LambeauXLIV
Wed Mar 11th, 2009, 07:36 AM
He's 21

rforsythe
Wed Mar 11th, 2009, 07:39 AM
21 almost always = stupid-expensive insurance on liter bikes. There's a very strong statistical reason for that. I'm guessing that unless he already makes fat coin or has mom/dad footing the bill, that will be a no-go decision for him.

Devaclis
Wed Mar 11th, 2009, 07:40 AM
Start out by asking him if you can have his stuff when he dies and then make him put it in writing and get it notarized.

Tipys
Wed Mar 11th, 2009, 07:42 AM
Well I suggest have him read this its a real comparison and it lets you know that the liter bike isnt all its creaked up to be.

http://www.superstreetbike.com/roadtests/0808_sbkp_2008_kawasaki_zx6_vs_zx10/index.html

konichd
Wed Mar 11th, 2009, 07:57 AM
I've had a 1000 for a couple years, I'm getting rid of it to move back down to a 600. First off his insurance is going to be outrageous, second he'll never even get close to the potential of a 600. Does he enjoy buying tires? Get ready to spend more $$$ on new tires about every spring, a 190 rear tire is about $50-60 more than a typical 180.

Ultimately some people are going to learn the hard way no matter what you tell them. Hopefully after a little research he will come to his senses.

Devaclis
Wed Mar 11th, 2009, 08:04 AM
David brings up a good point too, riding a 600 here is cheaper. Outside of the financial part, I have found them to be more fun in the canyons just because of their "usable" horsepower range. Now, I am not a great rider, I am not fast, and I have never been on a track. But I have put more miles on my last 2 bikes than some will do in a lifetime. The 600 is a blast in the canyons. a liter bike requires too much babysitting, IMO (don't freak out liter bike peeps). On a 600 I found I could concentrate more on having fun and enjoying the corners and the bike. On a liter I found that I had to watch the throttle, what I gear I was in, RPMs, more than anything else, including the road.

Just my experience, but there is a lot of it.

RyNo24
Wed Mar 11th, 2009, 08:07 AM
The only reason I ride a 1000 (which technically isn't a true liter sport bike) is I ride two up a lot. My bike is one of the "slowest" liter bikes on the market and it still has too much power then anyone realistically needs when riding single. If my girl and I had separate bikes they would both be 600's. Personally I like how light the 600s are compared to the 1000s, making them easier to turn in the canyons.

Just explain to him, that skill will always out preforme staight up power.

konichd
Wed Mar 11th, 2009, 08:09 AM
^^Funny thing is I've been riding our rental units and actually found myself ENJOYING riding a motorcycle again. I hopped on my ZX10R the other day and found myself scared for the first time in a long time :( 600's are a blast, much cheaper to maintain, insure, etc. and flat out I just have more fun. There easier to handle and are a lot more forgiving than a liter bike.

I will never own a liter again, modern 600's are more bike than the average rider will ever need...........

DevilsTonic
Wed Mar 11th, 2009, 08:10 AM
It really depends on the individual, their level of responsibility and whether or not their self preservation mechanism is intact. Is he in Denver? I know that it's not about wide open throttle for me, it's about the torque and bikes at this altitude don't breathe. He might get bored quick with a 600. I don't necessarily need the power of a litre bike, but I'm glad I upgraded because I can control myself and I have the power that I want.

RyNo24
Wed Mar 11th, 2009, 08:12 AM
^^Funny thing is I've been riding our rental units and actually found myself ENJOYING riding a motorcycle again. I hopped on my ZX10R the other day and found myself scared for the first time in a long time :( 600's are a blast, much cheaper to maintain, insure, etc. and flat out I just have more fun. There easier to handle and are a lot more forgiving than a liter bike.

I will never own a liter again, modern 600's are more bike than the average rider will ever need...........

I was actually going to bring up that point. I leanrd on a FZ6, and never once got "scared of riding" because the bike would not let me get in trouble. It was a very enjoyable power range. That bike had enough power to let you have fun when you wanted, but it would never break the rear tire loose and try and get away from you. My FZ1 on the other hand can get away from you, and I have to be more careful with it. Luckily though, the power band is set up much like a 600, so it is not as bad a true liter bike.

= Buckeye Jess =
Wed Mar 11th, 2009, 08:14 AM
I agree with what everybody above is saying. I'm still pretty new to the bike world myself and I'm extremely happy with the 650 I ended up getting. Oddly enough, I had more people trying to talk me into a bigger bike vs smaller. :dunno: But my bike has been GREAT to learn on and my confidence is building by leaps and bounds every time I get on it.

There are plenty of guys out there on the smaller bikes (as you already know) and they (at least most of 'em) don't have the penis envy issue. In my mind, I'm too busy learning the technical aspects of riding and learning how to read traffic to keep my ass upright on the bike as opposed to eating asphalt to deal with learning a twitchy/super sensitive bike as it is.

LambeauXLIV
Wed Mar 11th, 2009, 08:18 AM
Lots of good info, thanks... I think I have a better idea of how to handle it

dirkterrell
Wed Mar 11th, 2009, 08:18 AM
He wants a sportbike, and I am fully confidant that he would be fine on a 600, but I don't think he fully comprehends the power difference between a 600 and a 1000.

Have him go to Pueblo and ride on the back of a 600 with someone like Rybo or Mike Applehans or Jim Wilson. After he cleans his pants out, he'll probably want a 250. :)

Dirk

LambeauXLIV
Wed Mar 11th, 2009, 08:20 AM
^ Should I give him a ride on the back of my 600? :slappers:

XJ600s
Wed Mar 11th, 2009, 08:21 AM
You could always ship him off to London, where he'd be forced to ride a scooter his first year after taking the class, then a restricted bike for the second year.

And while I agree that some people are able to handle a liter bike as their first bike, the fact of the matter is not everyone can. As much as I wish I was riding a brand new sportbike (Daytona 675 SE please, gotta keep asking Santa, right?!), I'm glad I am riding the bike I am now. Is it underpowered? Not for anything up to highway speeds. Yet I know that if I blip the throttle wrong in a corner (while learning to blip), my rear end will not be overpowered, lose traction, and me low-side.

Maybe in a year or two of riding my Seca2 and hopefully soon to be FZ600s restoration, I will be ready to upgrade to a modern sportbike. But not now, and I'm 1.5 years into riding (and came from 10 years of road cycling and racing, so I have plenty of 2-wheel skills, just not self-powered).

Another thing to bring up, is that he can always upgrade to a liter bike a month or two down the road if he really feels that is what he needs to enjoy the sport. While its a pain in the neck, he will at least still have feeling in his neck than if he were paralyzed from starting off on a liter bike and making a rookie mistake.

Tipys
Wed Mar 11th, 2009, 08:23 AM
Bored on a 600 what kind of bullshit is that if you learn how to ride a 600 is more then enough. If you read the aritcal I posted it is really a lot more likely to get bored with a liter bike over a 600.

ihavealegohead
Wed Mar 11th, 2009, 08:23 AM
Why shouldn't he get a 1k? Take a look at this thread from experienced and in-experienced riders:

http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=16303

Most of the close calls here, have nothing to do with the size of the bike.

Take the course.

Wear the gear.

Have respect.

If he's going to die, seems to me is going to do it no matter what he rides.

dirkterrell
Wed Mar 11th, 2009, 08:31 AM
I guess the ultimate question we need to know the answer to is "Why does he think a 600 is inadequate compared to a 1000?" I can think of valid answers to that question but to offer useful advice, we need to know his answer. Has he ridden dirt bikes?

Dirk

~Barn~
Wed Mar 11th, 2009, 08:33 AM
Live and let live, I say.

Just give him all of the best advise that he's willing to listen to, and encourage him to do some of the things other have mentioned, like getting a quick "passenger moment" on somebody's 600, and see if he'll reevaluate.

Chances-are, is that this is all going to be a futile effort. :dunno:

LambeauXLIV
Wed Mar 11th, 2009, 08:34 AM
^ No dirt bikes

I think he sees the 600 as a "small" bike

salsashark
Wed Mar 11th, 2009, 08:35 AM
It really depends on the individual, their level of responsibility and whether or not their self preservation mechanism is intact. Is he in Denver? I know that it's not about wide open throttle for me, it's about the torque and bikes at this altitude don't breathe. He might get bored quick with a 600. I don't necessarily need the power of a litre bike, but I'm glad I upgraded because I can control myself and I have the power that I want.

I agree with DT on this one... if your friend's hell bent on killing himself cc's aren't going to matter.

Leave the ego in the garage and your more likely to come home to it.

Personally, I love my 1050... I love doing long distances and when I want power it's there. I don't have to ride at 7K+ rpm all the time. Drop a gear and off I go. I'm not into racing through the canyons or riding track, but if I were to do those things, a 600 would be the only choice. But for long hauls, I wouldn't want anything smaller then what I have now.

LambeauXLIV
Wed Mar 11th, 2009, 08:36 AM
He's NOT hell bent on killing himself. He's a level-headed individual, I just don't think he understands the huge difference between the two.

salsashark
Wed Mar 11th, 2009, 08:41 AM
He's NOT hell bent on killing himself. He's a level-headed individual, I just don't think he understands the huge difference between the two.

So, if he's as level headed as you say, then I don't see a problem with letting him get what he wants... which he'll probably do anyways.

In the end, it's the responsibility of the rider to do what's best for them.

I broke my back in high school and have chronic back problems today. I can't ride a 600 due to ergo issues. I made it all of 3 blocks from the dealership on a demo 675 before heading right back. I've never owned a 600 sportbike and I'm still here to talk about it...

dirkterrell
Wed Mar 11th, 2009, 08:41 AM
^ No dirt bikes

"Small" as a measurement of power, seat-to-peg distance or ?

Dirk

LambeauXLIV
Wed Mar 11th, 2009, 08:43 AM
Probably more related to power...

Every time I tell him how fast my 600 is, he just says "yeah"...

MetaLord 9
Wed Mar 11th, 2009, 08:43 AM
^^What's wrong with a smaller bike in his mind? If he's all butthurt worried about being on a smaller bike then ask him why he's not out buying a zx-14? It's bigger than a liter bike! Why is he settling for a liter instead of 1400cc bike? Then use that reasoning to explain to him how dangerous a liter bike can be compared to a 600. Hell if he's still all about it then tell him that he can always sell a 600 and buy a liter. Buy used to start with and if he does get bored, then trade up. It's better than getting in over his head and not having the chance to trade down

LambeauXLIV
Wed Mar 11th, 2009, 08:45 AM
He found a good deal on a 1000, that's why he's interested in it.

MetaLord 9
Although, if he's not going to listen to good advice when buying the bike, then he's probably not listen to it while riding it and he's just gonna end up supplying others with parts if he's not careful

MetaLord 9
Dunno what counts as a good deal on a liter, but I'm pretty sure that a 600 is gonna be cheaper 100% of the time

LambeauXLIV
Wed Mar 11th, 2009, 08:46 AM
^ That's what I'm trying to prevent

Nick_Ninja
Wed Mar 11th, 2009, 08:51 AM
You don't.

~Barn~
:lol:
He doesn't sound as level headed as some level headed people I know.

dirkterrell

That could be a valid reason for wanting a 1000 over a 600. More low-mid range torque, better for 2-up riding as others have mentioned. But it sounds like "I want the fastest bike" and unless he's planning to be on the track, he's already got the wrong mindset IMO. Even on the track I see lots of good riders on 600s spanking mediocre riders on 1000s.

So, from what I'm reading it sounds like he could find himself in over his head. He will do what he wants to do but I would encourage him to get some training, the more the better. That 2-up ride on a track with an experienced racer would be an eye-opening experience for him vis a vis the power of modern 600s.

Dirk

McVaaahhh
Wed Mar 11th, 2009, 08:55 AM
Tell him to check the insurance on it before he buys it. I can guarantee that an '01 gsxr 1k is going to cost him at least $200-$300/month for insurance.

Are you willing to let him spin your 6? If so, maybe it'll show him there's nothing small about a 600, it just looks that way from an inflated ego.

LambeauXLIV
Wed Mar 11th, 2009, 08:57 AM
^ I wouldn't let him on my bike until he finishes his MSF course and gets his liscense

ChrisCBX
Wed Mar 11th, 2009, 09:01 AM
Most of us have heard it more than once...............

the question from a complete motorcycle newb...........

how big is it?

I've had people ask me that about my GSXR1000. I tell them 1000cc's and they are not impressed. They tell me about their dad/uncle/friend/etc. that has a 1500cc or whatever.

To the uninitiated, with little else to go by, size does matter. Friends/relatives need to educate newbies that are interested in actually riding the bikes. Newbies need help understanding the real differences in bikes and guide them to a bike that best fits the newbie's needs.

After all that, the newbie may buy an R1 anyway but the effort needs to be made by responsible people to help new riders not hurt themselves IMHO.

Sortarican
Wed Mar 11th, 2009, 09:01 AM
^ No dirt bikes

So no riding experience at all?

Shit then, have him borrow or rent a 1K and come up into the canyons with some of us 600 riders.

If he can keep up on anything besides the straights I'll buy him a liter bike.

LambeauXLIV
Wed Mar 11th, 2009, 09:02 AM
^ That's what I'm trying to do (post 48..)

jimwallace
Wed Mar 11th, 2009, 09:05 AM
FIND HIM AN EQUALLY GOOD DEAL ON A 600

McVaaahhh
Wed Mar 11th, 2009, 09:07 AM

Shit then, have him borrow or rent a 1K and come up into the canyons with some of us 600 riders.

And raise your hand if your willing to let some newb try to keep up with the rest of us on "your" bike. :lol:

konichd
Wed Mar 11th, 2009, 09:09 AM
Have him take his course and rent a 600 from coloradosportbikerentals.com if he still thinks he's "too much fuckin' man for a girls 600" it only cost him $129 bucks. I can almost guarentee a modern 600 will scare him a little. :)

LambeauXLIV
Wed Mar 11th, 2009, 09:10 AM
^ After he takes his course, I'd be more than happy to let him ride mine

Nick_Ninja
Wed Mar 11th, 2009, 09:11 AM
^ That's what I'm trying to do (post 48..)

It is not your responsibility to protect your friend from himself.

LambeauXLIV
Wed Mar 11th, 2009, 09:14 AM
^ That doesn't mean I shouldn't try

Ceez
Wed Mar 11th, 2009, 09:14 AM
I own an 02 GSXR 600 that is geared and has full exhaust. I just rode a liter bike for the first time a couple of weeks ago out in California. I have to say, the difference in torque was very minimal. Both bikes pull just as hard, just seems like the liter bike had a touchier throttle through the first two gears. I think the 600 has a little bit of an advantage, being that you can start off stock while learning the bike, and if you get bored of the torque, you can always regear it. Plus, its cheaper on insurance. Just my two cents, either way, since he is your friend, all you can do is give him advice, and then support him with whatever decision he makes. Regardless of the size of the bike, we can wreck at any time.

Sortarican
Wed Mar 11th, 2009, 09:18 AM
And raise your hand if your willing to let some newb try to keep up with the rest of us on "your" bike. :lol:

Let him borrow your RC51....that'll scare him straight.

dallas
Wed Mar 11th, 2009, 09:20 AM

I felt faster in the corners the first time out on my GSXR 600 than after a couple years on my R-1.

There was an article out where they hooked up heart monitors on different riders with different skill levels and put them on a track, first with a liter bike and then with a 600 with a pipe and power comander. Every rider no matter the skill level had an elevated heart rate while riding the 600 and a lower heart rate while riding the liter bike.

Nick_Ninja
Wed Mar 11th, 2009, 09:23 AM
^ That doesn't mean I shouldn't try

Yeah --- and the scientific community is attempting to alter various negative aspects of the gnome structure --- they just haven't found the 'STUPID' gene as of yet.

McVaaahhh
Wed Mar 11th, 2009, 09:23 AM
Let him borrow your RC51....that'll scare him straight.

Kinda like one of those prison programs for kids, Scared Straight. :lol:

Tipys
Wed Mar 11th, 2009, 09:26 AM
Yes dallas I linked that artical here check my first post in this thread.

But hey anyone got a picture of jim "first session" wallace to post that should help. Jk jim

jimwallace
Wed Mar 11th, 2009, 09:29 AM
if you want you can bring him down to canon and he can run my track bike (600) up and down my street, it pulls quite well.

Big-J
Wed Mar 11th, 2009, 09:30 AM
I say let natural selection do its thing.

LambeauXLIV
Wed Mar 11th, 2009, 09:30 AM
I say let natural selection do its thing.

Kind of an ass-holeish thing to say

jimwallace
Wed Mar 11th, 2009, 09:31 AM
ya know what trevor....youre going to find something very heinous in youre paint job

Tipys
Wed Mar 11th, 2009, 09:32 AM
Oh new idea put him on a pedel bike and have him go down horsepower hill and tell him if he can make it to the genral store without using the brakes. Then maybe he can handle a liter bike.

LambeauXLIV
Wed Mar 11th, 2009, 09:33 AM
^ I have no idea what you're talking about... but I think I've decided to let him ride on the back of my bike

puckstr
Wed Mar 11th, 2009, 09:47 AM
Hey I heard Puckstr has a bad ass CBR600RR for sale and it is got POWER!

Hit 11,000 rpm and it will make your ass pucker

http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/1069081318.html
http://c2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/106/l_9a3ae30fbf6774afa0a262971a14f0d9.jpg

MetaLord 9
Wed Mar 11th, 2009, 09:48 AM
^^Shameless plug (and no, I'm not talk'n about your hairline :D )

puckstr
Wed Mar 11th, 2009, 09:49 AM
^^Shameless plug (and no, I'm not talk'n about your hairline :D )

Save that for someone with SHAME:)...and a hairline

LambeauXLIV
Wed Mar 11th, 2009, 09:49 AM
^ lol ... already sent a pm

Sean
Wed Mar 11th, 2009, 10:08 AM
Maybe you should have him read this thread? People in this thread have a huge variety of knowledge and experience. Racers to novice, old to young.

my .02: any bike can kill you. The speed going though a corner is based on the rider, not the bike. Any idiot can open up the throttle on a straight road. I've passed liter bikes on my 600, and I've been passed by another 600 with two people on it. It's always the rider, not the bike. Chances of riding a 600 to it's full potential are pretty slim, I'm not even close yet. No matter what bike he gets, respect it, or bad things can happen.

Doron&Katie
Wed Mar 11th, 2009, 10:09 AM
Tell him he'll have more fun on a 600.

asp_125
Wed Mar 11th, 2009, 10:18 AM
It takes more skill to ride a slow bike fast, than to ride a fast bike slow.

Good article: http://www.sportbikes.ws/showthread.php?p=1473509

Probably won't change his mind. He's a 21 year old male... chances are there's no convincing him to get anything but a liter bike. Just take two of the spark plugs out.

~Barn~
Wed Mar 11th, 2009, 10:20 AM
Kind of an ass-holeish thing to say

Big-J is kinda ass-holeish. :lol:

Devaclis
Wed Mar 11th, 2009, 10:24 AM
Big-J does not even ride. Take his comments with a grain of Kentucky Blue Grass Sensmillia

Big-J
Wed Mar 11th, 2009, 10:26 AM
Big-J is kinda ass-holeish. :lol:

:lol::doublefinger:

I was acutually only half serious about the natural selection thing, but if the guy doesn't understand why its not a good idea to start out on a smaller bike, what else can I say?

Devaclis
Wed Mar 11th, 2009, 10:27 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v470/devaclis/Funny/count.jpg

LambeauXLIV
Wed Mar 11th, 2009, 10:37 AM
I was acutually only half serious about the natural selection thing, but if the guy doesn't understand why its not a good idea to start out on a smaller bike, what else can I say?

It's hard for newbies to really understand the difference without experiencing it themselves, regardless of how smart they are.

Matt
Wed Mar 11th, 2009, 10:37 AM
There's a guy here at work that hasn't ridden in 10+ years. He's itching to get back on a bike. He's been thinking about a GSXR-1000.

He went to Pueblo with us for a track day to watch. Most of us were on 600's. I think after watching 600's in action he's starting to understand that a 1000 is a lot of bike.

So.... +1 on the post that says get your friend to the track to watch some 600's.

Big-J
Wed Mar 11th, 2009, 10:41 AM
It's hard for newbies to really understand the difference without experiencing it themselves, regardless of how smart they are.

That could cost him his life. Whatever though, he may take to that 1k like a champ, who knows.

Spiderman
Wed Mar 11th, 2009, 10:41 AM
Without reading all the responses in their entirety, I'd like to point you (and your friend) to this article: Open Letter To New Riders (http://www.esportbike.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82750) (or as I call it, "Buying your first sportbike?") - I came across it a few years ago and think it has a lot of merit (which is why I posted it on the CSC's "Learn to Ride (http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/local/learn.html)" page in the first place). 8)

Nick_Ninja
Wed Mar 11th, 2009, 10:46 AM
In 1980 we all wanted to buy 1979 Honda CBX bikes out of the box. Our buddy, who had been riding for many years and already owned his second '79 CBX told us to go ride something else ------ for 20,000 miles. It really didn't matter what it was but don't fork out loads of cash on a CBX as your first liter bike.

Needless to say he was right. although my OD only read 14,500 when I bailed on my XL500S and snagged the CBX :twisted:

~Barn~
Wed Mar 11th, 2009, 10:47 AM

Yes, but I have to believe that there is an inherent understanding of exactly what we are getting into, when we buy bikes.

I mean seriously... I'm one of the most impulsive people I know. I make bad decisions like it's my job. But at the time I was getting into purchasing my first bike back in 1999, I knew that.

A.) These things are fucking wicked.
B.) I'm going to look cool as hell riding one.
C.) I've seen what they do on TV, and I will never be able to do that.
D.) I've seen what they do in the hands of my friends, and I can definitely do that.
and E.) That I better check myself, when it comes to how I proceed to ride, unless I want my parents to have to go to my funeral.

There was never any misunderstanding of what I knew could "end me" on a 1000, that wouldn't just-the-same "end me" on a 600.

He's either going to get a 600 and crash it or not, or he's going to get a 1000 and crash it or not. The point here, is that he either understands my POINT E from above, or he doesn't. The fact that he doesn't even seem to be taking into consideration a 600 as his first entry into the hobby means that he's not focused on the important things.

If it was more of a "Yeah, I like the 600s, but I like the style of the R1 better", then I could get down with that, because it's a perspective that isn't dismissive by reasons of stupidity, just preference. He seems like he's neglecting the option of a 600 because he is stupid, and there is something about "size" that seems to be the driving factor. :dunno:

But whatever... I agree that it's hard for newbies to tell the difference w/out riding them both, but the key isn't to understand the differences, it's to understand the horrible horrible things that can happen to you on a motorcycle. A motorcyle of any size. And that's a point that I don't know if your friend is cognisant of. (?)

LambeauXLIV
Wed Mar 11th, 2009, 10:50 AM
He is considering 600s (thanks to my advice), but he found a good deal on a 1000.
He's trying to save a few bucks (and get a bigger bike while he's at it)

~Barn~
Wed Mar 11th, 2009, 10:53 AM
Well then let him have his druthers!

If this is genuinely nothing more than a situation of economics, and you firmly believe he has a solid grasp on the finer points of living as a motorcycle owner, then I see no problem here.

Kim-n-Dean
Wed Mar 11th, 2009, 10:56 AM
Well, I didn't read any of the responses, way too many. But you've got to be kidding me. Don't buy a 1000 for your first bike is just stupid. I would say how well your feet touch the ground would be more important for a first time rider. I just have never understood the, "your first bike has to be a 600" deal. As if any bike can't kill you just as fast as a 1000. Hell, maybe the 600 kills you quicker because you think it's a beginner bike and it's totally safe. Whatever... Buy what you like and do a 180mph wheelie down I-25!!

Sean
Wed Mar 11th, 2009, 10:56 AM
He is considering 600s (thanks to my advice), but he found a good deal on a 1000.
He's trying to save a few bucks (and get a bigger bike while he's at it)What's the bike he's looking at and how much?

Big-J
Wed Mar 11th, 2009, 10:57 AM
He's trying to save a few bucks (and get a bigger bike while he's at it)

So what year is this 1k and what kind is it? Unless this 1k is older and/or a P.O.S., Im pretty sure he can find a 600 for way cheaper than a 1k.

puckstr
Wed Mar 11th, 2009, 10:59 AM
If he has a scene of humor ask him if he has his organ donor card filled out.

Way back in the day (1986) I was looking to get my first bike.
An 83 Honda V65 Magna (1100cc V4). I was hell bent on getting it.
Thank god the insurance companies had better common scene than I.
It was IMPOSSIBLE to get coverage on anything over 750cc for me. That maybe why I as still alive today.
http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/Gallery/Honda%20VF1100C%2083%20%203.jpg
that and pure dumb luck.

weird I still have a thing for the V4

and BTW I backed off my 600RR at 155mph. That was PLENTY fast for me.

asp_125
Wed Mar 11th, 2009, 10:59 AM
A deal may not be a deal once he factors in the cost of insurance.

SaShWhO
Wed Mar 11th, 2009, 11:02 AM
Maybe you should have him read this thread? People in this thread have a huge variety of knowledge and experience. Racers to novice, old to young.

my .02: any bike can kill you. The speed going though a corner is based on the rider, not the bike. Any idiot can open up the throttle on a straight road. I've passed liter bikes on my 600, and I've been passed by another 600 with two people on it. It's always the rider, not the bike. Chances of riding a 600 to it's full potential are pretty slim, I'm not even close yet. No matter what bike he gets, respect it, or bad things can happen.

AMEN!
end of discussion.

~Barn~
Wed Mar 11th, 2009, 11:03 AM
I fail to recognize the correlation between losing 10K, hospitalizing Gorgeous, and a good deal.

[/Jason Statham]

LambeauXLIV
Wed Mar 11th, 2009, 11:09 AM
http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/1029908259.html

this is the bike 01 gsxr 1000

puckstr
Wed Mar 11th, 2009, 11:12 AM
so has he seen the GSXR yet? or is he just basing it on the minimal ad?

LambeauXLIV
Wed Mar 11th, 2009, 11:13 AM
we're going to look at it sunday

Spiderman
Wed Mar 11th, 2009, 11:15 AM

AMEN!
end of discussion.
And while that last statement is true, maybe it's just my perception, but I've always felt that a liter bike can get you into more trouble quicker.

McVaaahhh
Wed Mar 11th, 2009, 11:15 AM
It is a good deal, but make sure he factors in insurance, especially at 21 years old.

Big-J
Wed Mar 11th, 2009, 11:16 AM
http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/1029908259.html

this is the bike 01 gsxr 1000

Here is a bike he should be starting on, and its even a better deal.

http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/1062473938.html

LambeauXLIV
Wed Mar 11th, 2009, 11:16 AM
And while that last statement is true, maybe it's just my perception, but I've always felt that a liter bike can get you into more trouble quicker.

Those are my thoughts exactly

puckstr
Wed Mar 11th, 2009, 11:17 AM

I can get into trouble on a 250......well ..errr..also on a Ruckus:(

He needs a Honda

asp_125
Wed Mar 11th, 2009, 11:19 AM

Maybe true, but I can almost bet the justification changes from economics to some other excuse like looks and power and wanting something more modern.

LambeauXLIV
Wed Mar 11th, 2009, 11:20 AM
Maybe true, but I can almost bet the justification changes from economics to some other excuse like looks and power and wanting something more modern.

It's always a balance between the two

Big-J
Wed Mar 11th, 2009, 11:30 AM
It's always a balance between the two

You sound like the smarter one out of the two of you, but you're making excuses for the guy why he wants to get a liter bike. If you're really trying to convence this dude to start off on a smaller bike, you know all the reasons to justify buying one are all BS.
The whole a good deal thing doesn't fly, getting a 600 would be way cheaper. Those deals are out there, Dana sold his 600rr for 3k not to long ago.

puckstr
Wed Mar 11th, 2009, 11:33 AM
You sound like the smarter one out of the two of you, but you're making excuses for the guy why he wants to get a liter bike. If you're really trying to convence this dude to start off on a smaller bike, you know all the reasons to justify buying one are all BS.
The whole a good deal thing doesn't fly, getting a 600 would be way cheaper. Those deals are out there, Dana sold his 600rr for 3k not to long ago.

You sure he sold it for $3k ? That is WAY WAY too low for that bike.

Snowman
Wed Mar 11th, 2009, 11:35 AM
As long as he has a signed organ donor card, then there isn’t a problem.

Big-J
Wed Mar 11th, 2009, 11:37 AM
You sure he sold it for $3k ? That is WAY WAY too low for that bike.

Im pretty sure, maybe 4. Thats not the point though, fucker. lol
Deals are out thurr is what i was getting at! :)

Devaclis
Wed Mar 11th, 2009, 11:44 AM
I did not sell the CBR for $3k

~Barn~
Wed Mar 11th, 2009, 11:49 AM
Brian: Lady, you want seven bucks for a used Kenny Loggins record? I'll give you five.

Woman: Uh-uh. He autographed it himself...

Brian: Okay, I'll give you four.

konichd
Wed Mar 11th, 2009, 11:49 AM
I recant my previous account.

He wants a 01 GSXR? Great it weights 4XX, and has about 130 HP at the rear if he's lucky.

A modern 07 newer 600 is at least 40+ pounds lighter and has about 112+ at the rear wheel.

So when you put the HP to weight ratio they are probably the same. So it looks like his finances will make his decision.

The 1K gixxer is going to be 2-3 times the insurance and being that old probably needs 500-1K in maintenance (new tires, brakes, etc.)

In essence this thread is crap, he'll do whatever he wants and pay the price :)

Devaclis
Wed Mar 11th, 2009, 11:53 AM
After he gets the bike, give him TFOGs # and tell him to set it on his speed dial.

YZFRydn
Wed Mar 11th, 2009, 12:16 PM
I've never understood why people think they need a 1000 for their first street bike. I've been riding dirtbikes and streetbikes for a long time and when I decided it was time to buy a bike I didn't even contemplate for a second to buy a 1000. Riding on the street is a whole different dance than riding on the track. Not to mention a 600 is lighter and more fun to me personally in the canyons. Ask him where he plans on using all that power in that bike.

Sean
Wed Mar 11th, 2009, 12:19 PM
So when you put the HP to weight ratio they are probably the same...

The 1K gixxer is going to be 2-3 times the insurance and being that old probably needs 500-1K in maintenance (new tires, brakes, etc.)
+1

It's hard to tell much from the pics, but be critical about it's condition. On CL it looks like crap, but my point is not to sway away from looking at it, just to make sure your friend weighs in all of the factors. Make sure you and your friend look at the bike objectively and consider the additional costs that might cost extra cash (as said above). Like tires brake pads, engine work etc. You may find it more beneficial to get a newer bike (600 or other). 24,000 miles is a fair amount, especially if the bike hasn't been properly maintained. Cheapest bike isn't always the cheapest answer.

LambeauXLIV
Wed Mar 11th, 2009, 12:21 PM
I'm fairly convinced that the bike won't be nice...but I told my friend I'd go with him to look at it

Nick_Ninja
Wed Mar 11th, 2009, 12:39 PM
I'm fairly convinced that the bike won't be nice...but I told my friend I'd go with him to look at it

So you're coming from Pueblo to Erie to look at that bike?

XJ600s
Wed Mar 11th, 2009, 12:44 PM
I'm in boulder and am more than willing to head out there and look at it as well. doubt your friend would listen to me, but sometimes having an unattached third party provide feedback on the condition might be of use. let me know.

LambeauXLIV
Wed Mar 11th, 2009, 12:46 PM
I'm going up to my parents house this weekend in Fort Collins, so it's on the way
I have no problems assessing the condition of the bike, but thanks

Ceez
Wed Mar 11th, 2009, 12:58 PM
Lets get a group ride and all go look at it! :drink:

YZFRydn
Wed Mar 11th, 2009, 01:20 PM
Sounds good.

64BonnieLass
Wed Mar 11th, 2009, 01:24 PM
Lambeau, is he willing to check with his insurance company today/tomorrow about the rates on the bike?

Maybe it will save both you guys and the seller some wasted time if he chokes on the insurance payments.

Why waste the sellers time if it's not do-able in the first place?

Devaclis
Wed Mar 11th, 2009, 01:27 PM
Lambeau, is he willing to check with his insurance company today/tomorrow about the rates on the bike?

Maybe it will save both you guys and the seller some wasted time if he chokes on the insurance payments.

You need to stop being logical right now.

We are trying to have a pointless argument that will result in nothing more than wasted time and a few bruised egos.

Jeez

:)

LambeauXLIV
Wed Mar 11th, 2009, 01:27 PM
I'll ask him to, because I know there will be a huge difference between the 1000 and a 600.

RajunCajun
Wed Mar 11th, 2009, 01:30 PM

can I get in on that deal????

That would be great beginner bike, but not the "coolest bike" out there. Although, you do look pretty badass when you pass a liter bike on that thing!

That's what I did on an old Triumph Daytona I was lookin at. I had 5 of my buds ride down and check it out, and I was the only one that still wanted it after looking,,,, needless to say, I didn't buy the POS.....

= Buckeye Jess =
Wed Mar 11th, 2009, 01:33 PM

I found out the hard way that even then you have to be careful. Before I bought my bike I was getting quotes that were awesome based on my record, and telling them the bike was an '08 Kawi Ninja 650R. After I bought the bike and supplied them with the VIN tho, it somehow came back classified as a supersport and my insurance like freaking tripled! That happened with every single company too, not just my own.

Long story short... get ins. quotes with a VIN whenever possible!

Sully
Wed Mar 11th, 2009, 01:36 PM
Jess - have you tried State Farm for insurance ? I can give you my reps name if you're interested.. Got a smokin' deal !

Kanabiis
Wed Mar 11th, 2009, 01:43 PM
http://www.motorcycle-accidents.com/pages/stats.html

23. More than half of the accident-involved motorcycle riders had less than 5 months experience on the accident motorcycle, although the total street riding experience was almost 3 years.

Combine this with 1000cc sportbike and you have the direct explaination for:

19. Motorcycle riders between the ages of 16 and 24 are significantly over-represented in accidents.

I guess I'm on the asshole side of things, I say a squid and 1000cc bike is all the evidence you need of evolution in action.

Plus it makes for cheap spare parts, if anything survives the accident. I find living realatives of dead squids usually let the parts go for really cheap.

Yes, its an asshole thing to say, but you know, I'm kinda tired of squids dying on what should have been a nice enjoyable weekend ride, all because they 'needed' that gixxer1k.

I have witnessed more sportbike accidents then I care to admit, and while some have involved experianced riders that I have rode with for years, that is the exepction rather then the norm.

It is quite a bit more likely that the accident will involve either a rider that a) just showed up over the last few weeks, or b) someones 'friend' borrowing a bike for the day to just 'come along'.

Seat time is the only way to get experiance, period.

The bottom line is this, if you get in trouble with a 600 you *MIGHT* be able to save it, you get in trouble with a 1000, that *MIGHT* turns into with any luck and a prayer.

I do know this, my 08 CBR1000RR is WAY less forgiving then my CBR929 was, its not a lack of experiance saying that, to the contrary, its my experiance that notices it.

In the end your friend will do what he wants, and ONLY with the grace of god and some luck he will make it through his first season without serious injury or death, regardless of the size of bike he owns. This is not opinion but fact, insurance companies spend millions of dollars and hundreds of thousands of man hours charting trends and statistics.

There is a reason why full coverage insurance on a 1000cc bike for a 21 year old will pretty much pay the bike off in 18 months. The insurance company KNOWS that they are likely to have a payout on that policy very soon.

So in the end its not a question of IF, its a question of when.....

There are only 2 kinds of riders, those who have been down, and those that are going down.

= Buckeye Jess =
Wed Mar 11th, 2009, 01:45 PM
Jess - have you tried State Farm for insurance ? I can give you my reps name if you're interested.. Got a smokin' deal !

Thanks Sully! How about you PM the info so I can look into renter's insurance. I actually looked at them for auto and bike and they were pretty damn close to what I was getting with AmFam.
"I just saved money by switching to Geico." And I mean major bucks with deductibles that are waaaaaaaay lower than what they were. Went from $1k on the bike and $500 on the car to $250 on each and still paying less for the exact same coverage. Whoo-hoo! (OK.. I'm done advertising for the gecko now.) :)

puckstr
Wed Mar 11th, 2009, 01:47 PM
I'm going up to my parents house this weekend in Fort Collins, so it's on the way
I have no problems assessing the condition of the bike, but thanks

Swing by L-town and see the CBR

LambeauXLIV
Wed Mar 11th, 2009, 01:48 PM
^ plan on it...probably sunday afternoon

puckstr
Wed Mar 11th, 2009, 02:02 PM
I am free before 11:00 and after 2:30

UglyDogRacing
Mon Mar 12th, 2012, 09:58 AM
Since this thread was 2 years ago, they probably already bought a bike if that was their intention.

rforsythe
Mon Mar 12th, 2012, 09:59 AM
I say let him ride the 1k. He'll keep the eBay spare parts ecosystem alive, and help some trauma junkie EMS crew from having to go on the usual old-person-I've-fallen-and-can't-get-up call when he bins it.

Yay old threads!

Ghosty
Mon Mar 12th, 2012, 10:00 AM
Oops! I did a search just saw March 11, not the year, lol. Sorry for the "ancient bump", heheh. Hopefully the kid didn't have any issues.

Zach929rr
Mon Mar 12th, 2012, 10:54 AM
http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/16129150.jpg

Ghosty
Mon Mar 12th, 2012, 11:19 AM
Already apologized for the mistake, heh. Have you been waiting forever for the perfect opportunity to use that image though? :D

Zach929rr
Mon Mar 12th, 2012, 11:23 AM
Made it just for you sweet cheeks :)

vort3xr6
Mon Mar 12th, 2012, 11:49 AM
I miss my R1. This video is what happens when a noob gets a 1k. 1k's accelerate so fast, you get yourself into a bad situation before you know it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-j_QAfUcLg

mxer
Mon Mar 12th, 2012, 12:21 PM
Reminds me of a guy in my MSF course. His first bike was a hayabusa.....but then again he was about 6' 3" 375lbs and a ex NFL defensive lineman. I figured that was like a 600 to regular folk.

3D
Mon Mar 12th, 2012, 01:49 PM
my first bike was a 1000 and it really isn't that big of a deal. All he is gonna do if he gets a 600 is trade it in 3 months from now and get what he wants.

Wrider
Mon Mar 12th, 2012, 02:31 PM
Reminds me of a guy in my MSF course. His first bike was a hayabusa.....but then again he was about 6' 3" 375lbs and a ex NFL defensive lineman. I figured that was like a 600 to regular folk.

Trust me when I say a 600 can still move us big guys around without a problem...
I'm DOWN to 285 (was averaging 315 this summer) and rode a 600 all summer long without a problem.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Mon Mar 12th, 2012, 05:12 PM
Try to get him to get a 600. If not, do your best to make sure he knows not to be an idiot. At this altitude it's not as dangerous a move as at sea level, and the mountains will sap th epower even more, so there's that. I tried to talk a friend of mine out of getting a 1k as basically his first bike, and wasn't successful, but, I'm proud of the guy as he's done well with it. Of course, he's even older than I am, so, he's even less likely to be addled by a testosterone-driven ego to ride over his head.

If nothing else, make sure he gets training, and gear.

Ghosty
Mon Mar 12th, 2012, 05:18 PM
Hey guys, this thread is from March of 2009. I'm the culprit that accidentally bumped it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v231/SpectralCat/Emoticons/hatsoff.gif

Bueller
Mon Mar 12th, 2012, 05:32 PM
The same people probably said the same shit 3 years ago.

:lol:

Wrider
Mon Mar 12th, 2012, 06:08 PM
Hey guys, this thread is from March of 2009. I'm the culprit that accidentally bumped it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v231/SpectralCat/Emoticons/hatsoff.gif

Oh yeah, we know, we're just making sure to keep bumping it so you can't live it down!

blaircsf
Mon Mar 12th, 2012, 06:19 PM
As long as it is bumped, do we get to hear the outcome? (or is it somewhere in the previous 7 pages?)

AOK303
Mon Mar 12th, 2012, 06:34 PM
Someone once told me regular unleaded in my bike will make it run like a 600
Because it doesn't burn as clean as premium! tell him todo that

I kid I kid but I was told this HahA

sag
Mon Mar 12th, 2012, 07:35 PM
i started on a 1000 and rode my friends 1000s a bunch :dunno: didnt have any problems but yeah the power intimidated me at first. i always believe if they cant handle the power responsibly then they probably dont belong on a sportbike in the first place. as long as they can physically handle moving it around size and weight wise then go for it.

asp_125
Mon Mar 12th, 2012, 07:48 PM
Die, Zombie thread, die!!!

kalibra
Mon Mar 12th, 2012, 08:02 PM
Well I suggest have him read this its a real comparison and it lets you know that the liter bike isnt all its creaked up to be.

http://www.superstreetbike.com/roadtests/0808_sbkp_2008_kawasaki_zx6_vs_zx10/index.html
The article starts off by saying the comparison is between a modded bike and a stock bike.Apples and oranges,right?

Ghosty
Mon Mar 12th, 2012, 08:27 PM
My first bike was a red VFR-800, brand new. I STILL AM IN LOVE with that v4, man what a great motor, and sounded so badass. A little big for a first bike, but the smooth power-curve and low/mid range torque really helped avoid the "OH SHIT" ski-slope seat of your pants scare you get on a real high-RPM inline-4 rocket.

If I were to make a suggestion it is in line with most everyone else, especially if you're young and can't control yourself. A 600 rocket is plenty, even at this altitude. Take care of it, then sell it later when you feel like you've grown out of it. As long as you didn't buy it new, it doesn't depreciate very quickly.

Also, take the damn MSF/Abate class, unless you have prior moto-x or street experience.

Cornfed
Mon Mar 12th, 2012, 09:02 PM
Just explain to him, that skill will always out preform staight up power.

It doesn't matter much which he buys. 600s are fast as hell, 1000s are fast as hell. Both will scare the shit out of you, one is just heavier than the other. If you cant exhibit throttle control buy a cruiser. Instead of a speed control on the right bar they have volume control.

Nooch
Mon Mar 12th, 2012, 09:26 PM
http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/16171104.jpg

asp_125
Mon Mar 12th, 2012, 09:41 PM
I scanned the thread and we never did find out if the OP's friend ever bought that Gixxer 1K. I think with some noobs their minds are made up and they're just looking for validation. If they can't find it here they go to another forum.