PDA

View Full Version : Burj Dubai

The Black Knight
Wed Mar 11th, 2009, 04:55 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_7wpx-DMmU

admin can move this if you like. Just figured I'd post it here for everyone to check out. I can't believe this thing, this is one tall piece of work. I wished I could of caught it on Good Morning America but was way at work and don't have a DVR for Dish yet. Saw it on Yahoo.com this morning as a featured video but couldn't find it when I got home on yahoo, so I checked the next best place for all things video, youtube.

160 stories and 2600ft+ in the air!! This thing is almost fake it's so tall. :shocked::shocked:

edit:
here's a link a more clearer video. It's from GMA direct, just scroll down to the Chris Cuomo section and click on the Burj Dubai video:
http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/GMABig/

= Buckeye Jess =
Wed Mar 11th, 2009, 05:01 PM
Zoiks! I was too busy staring in wonder at the video to pay much attention...but who's baby is this? I can't imagine it being other than a massive private entity/corp.

rforsythe
Wed Mar 11th, 2009, 05:07 PM
Zoiks! I was too busy staring in wonder at the video to pay much attention...but who's baby is this? I can't imagine it being other than a massive private entity/corp.

Remember when you were filling up your car for $4 a gallon?

= Buckeye Jess =
Wed Mar 11th, 2009, 05:20 PM
Remember when you were filling up your car for $4 a gallon?
Yeah, no kidding! However..working in the oil/gas industry, the Middle East isn't solely responsible for that. It is simply jaw dropping how much money ALL of these oil companies go through. Particularly for areas of research such as this specific site. Hell... I could retire right now on one month's electric bill out here with some of the stuff going on. It is just amazing.

The Black Knight
Wed Mar 11th, 2009, 05:31 PM
The thing that really creeps me out is according to the video, you can view this building from over 60 miles away. Which means if this building was in either Colorado Springs or Denver, we(the two cities) could view it from each other. Now that's creepy, only thing that is that viewable is Pikes Peak. Obviously alot bigger than the Burj, but the fact that you could view from that distance is wicked.

TFOGGuys
Wed Mar 11th, 2009, 05:46 PM
S'pose some redneck is gonna fly a Cessna into the side of it? :dunno:

PsychoMike
Wed Mar 11th, 2009, 07:22 PM
i want to base jump off it!

= Buckeye Jess =
Wed Mar 11th, 2009, 07:29 PM
The thing that really creeps me out is according to the video, you can view this building from over 60 miles away. Which means if this building was in either Colorado Springs or Denver, we(the two cities) could view it from each other. Now that's creepy, only thing that is that viewable is Pikes Peak. Obviously alot bigger than the Burj, but the fact that you could view from that distance is wicked.
A rather sobering thought since you point it out that way... just unreal the engineering that must have gone into it.

rforsythe
Wed Mar 11th, 2009, 07:37 PM
S'pose some redneck is gonna fly a Cessna into the side of it? :dunno:

Nah. It's Dubai, they only have bizjets there.

d3spair
Wed Mar 11th, 2009, 09:04 PM
Ironically all their construction has stopped due to the weak Global economy. Kicking out all their slave, I mean immigrant workers, etc.

Mel
Thu Mar 12th, 2009, 10:43 AM
Not all of their construction stopped, it's still a pretty constant thing there...drive down almost any street and there is something being built (one of my close friends at the office is working a project at our Dubai office for the next few years...yes, in the oil industry). Bikes and cars there, however, are wicked cheap. And you can get all the sweet Skylines that were near impossible to find in the US too...

The Black Knight
Thu Mar 12th, 2009, 04:20 PM
Not all of their construction stopped, it's still a pretty constant thing there...drive down almost any street and there is something being built (one of my close friends at the office is working a project at our Dubai office for the next few years...yes, in the oil industry). Bikes and cars there, however, are wicked cheap. And you can get all the sweet Skylines that were near impossible to find in the US too...
Exactly, cause from all of what I've read up on Dubai, they have over 15-25% of the worlds cranes there. That is a ton of construction going on in one place. And it's ridiculous how fast it's exploded. If you look at pictures of Dubai from just back in 1994 it's a barren land. Fast forward 15 years and it looks like what it does today.