PDA

View Full Version : Duc vs Porsche and a new hip

Bat
Thu Mar 12th, 2009, 11:14 AM
Lol, yes a strange title but that is my life...

Since Sunday was such a sweet day, we decided to take the toys out for a play date.
Ian in the car, me on the bike being total hooligans chasing each other all over.
Very, very good times. A shout out to the Audi that joined our fun and thanks so much for giving me plenty of room to manuever the bike!

Now why weren't we both on bikes? Ian was gearing up for hip replacement surgery. Yep, time for a new hip courtesy of the negligent idiot woman who decided to run a stop sign ten years ago in her car and hit Ian on his bike busting his hip to shite. They decided not to replace at that time due to his age but it has degenerated so badly that he can no longer wait.

So here I am at Boulder Hospital, where I've been since 5:45am, still waiting to hear how it's going (I'm getting a lil worried). Please wish us luck for a better than ever recovery and a speedy return to the Ducs.

And watch out for old ladies at stopsigns, y'all!

Nick_Ninja
Thu Mar 12th, 2009, 11:17 AM
Lol, yes a strange title but that is my life...

Since Sunday was such a sweet day, we decided to take the toys out for a play date.
Ian in the car, me on the bike being total hooligans chasing each other all over.
Very, very good times. A shout out to the Audi that joined our fun and thanks so much for giving me plenty of room to manuever the bike!

Now why weren't we both on bikes? Ian was gearing up for hip replacement surgery. Yep, time for a new hip courtesy of the negligent idiot woman who decided to run a stop sign ten years ago in her car and hit Ian on his bike busting his hip to shite. They decided not to replace at that time due to his age but it has degenerated so badly that he can no longer wait.

So here I am at Boulder Hospital, where I've been since 5:45am, still waiting to hear how it's going (I'm getting a lil worried). Please wish us luck for a better than ever recovery and a speedy return to the Ducs.

And watch out for old ladies at stopsigns, y'all!

I'm in Boulder. If you need to get out of the hospital for a few I am going to lunch around noon.

= Buckeye Jess =
Thu Mar 12th, 2009, 11:20 AM
Try not to worry too much (easier said than done). That is a very common surgery and can take a lot of time on a hip that was already fooked up to start with! Good luck with everything tho!

Sully
Thu Mar 12th, 2009, 11:21 AM
N_N^^ He's a hooligan too.. get out for a bit.

Best Wishes :)

XJ600s
Thu Mar 12th, 2009, 11:28 AM
I had knee surgery two years ago to repair a ruptured meniscus, as well as biopsy and possibly remove a 5" long tumor that was inside my femur. The surgery took 6.5 hours when it should have only taken about 3. Nothing major happened, just took longer than expected removing the tumor.

Besides, its only going to seem like 5 minutes to him, anesthetics are amazing! Good luck with the recovery!

Spiderman
Thu Mar 12th, 2009, 11:29 AM
Bat, here's hoping Ian has a smooth and speedy recovery! :cheers:
Let us know if you need anything. 8)

dirkterrell
Thu Mar 12th, 2009, 11:31 AM

I hope it all goes well, Deb. Let me know if you need help with anything.

Dirk

lovinCO
Thu Mar 12th, 2009, 11:35 AM
Best wishes on recovery! :)

mtnairlover
Thu Mar 12th, 2009, 11:57 AM
Calm your nerves. We're thinking about ya.

You know...since Ian is doing this now, it's a good thing as far as rehab is concerned and not missing too much of the really nice riding season. Lemme know if there is anything I can do in the meantime...and stop being such a 'bat'!

Muchos hugs and luv.

your pal
MAL

mtnairlover
Thu Mar 12th, 2009, 12:05 PM
Update on Ian:

Deb says her phone's battery is going out, so I'll just post up the update...

Doc just came in...he is in recovery and doc says he is healthy and strong and surgery went well. It took a while longer because the bone had grown back over the bolts.

She says she'll be able to go into the recovery room in about an hour.

Slo
Thu Mar 12th, 2009, 01:16 PM
Ian, speedy recovery to you bro.... Still appreciate all the help you gave to me in the past, please let me know if you two need anything!!!!

Matty
Thu Mar 12th, 2009, 01:22 PM
Speedy recovery to Ian.

Scer
Thu Mar 12th, 2009, 01:40 PM
Good to hear all is well Deb! Well relatively. I am gonna be out and about in Boulder later too if you want something to do. =)

replace on replace'as

puckstr
Thu Mar 12th, 2009, 01:54 PM
Get well soon

636chick
Thu Mar 12th, 2009, 01:56 PM
Ok first off good thoughts to you both on a speedy recovery. I hope everything goes well. You are in my thoughts as I know how it feels to be sitting in that waiting room and just waiting.

Next how weird Mr Bash had his hip replaced in Dec same problem caused by a stupid woman on an ATV that broadsided him in Moab. Luckily his screws and bolts were not in the way, so surgery went quickly for him. After all the pain it was well worth it as the constant hip pain is gone for him now. Recovery was good he was walking around the house the day he came home slowly but walking around pretty good. Recovery was so much better then the reconstruction 3 years earlier night and day.
If Bash or I can help you guy's at all you just holler out. We are in the Springs but always up for a little help and advice as we are on the back end of what sounds like the exact same thing you all are gearing up for.

YZFRydn
Thu Mar 12th, 2009, 02:34 PM
HOpe all goes well.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Thu Mar 12th, 2009, 02:34 PM
Best of luck to both of you Bat, hope he has a full and speedy recovery. Take care.

Bat
Fri Mar 13th, 2009, 04:12 PM
Update:

So the surgery went well, recovery took a lil longer. I think it was around 2:00 or 3:00 by the time they got him up to the room yesterday.

PT started today which consisted of getting out of bed and into a chair, suhweet! ;) Doc said things were looking good and we'll prob be heading home on Sunday. Home PT starts Monday.

Currently, I'm just hanging out at the hospital with Ian with quick runs home to take care of the "kids" - dog and cats. I don't mind as I can finally "pay back" for all the time he took care of me while my knee was on the mend. :up:

Thanks for all the kind words, everyone. Despite my hermit tendencies, y'all are still good to me/us. Even you non-Duc riders (bwahaha, I'm kidding!). :) And 636Chick, any advice you and Bash have, we are definitely willing to listen. Every lil bit helps. Very glad to hear things are so much better for him. We are looking forward to pain-free times too!

TFOGGuys
Fri Mar 13th, 2009, 04:15 PM
Update:

So the surgery went well, recovery took a lil longer. I think it was around 2:00 or 3:00 by the time they got him up to the room yesterday.

PT started today which consisted of getting out of bed and into a chair, suhweet! ;) Doc said things were looking good and we'll prob be heading home on Sunday. Home PT starts Monday.

Currently, I'm just hanging out at the hospital with Ian with quick runs home to take care of the "kids" - dog and cats. I don't mind as I can finally "pay back" for all the time he took care of me while my knee was on the mend. :up:

Thanks for all the kind words, everyone. Despite my hermit tendencies, y'all are still good to me/us. Even you non-Duc riders (bwahaha, I'm kidding!). :) And 636Chick, any advice you and Bash have, we are definitely willing to listen. Every lil bit helps. Very glad to hear things are so much better for him. We are looking forward to pain-free times too!

I'm glad things are going well, but Holy Drive By Healthcare :shocked:. Please call if there's anything I can help with.

Bashed
Fri Mar 13th, 2009, 06:03 PM
Update:

Bat,
Only advice right now don't let him be a tough guy and try and do to much to soon. The body is on it's own timetable, the brain writes checks the body can't cash. Stay on top of the pain medication schedule, it's far easier to stay on top of it rather than chase it. Ahhhhh, better living thru pharmaceuticals. Colbalt steel, titanium, and huge scars, chicks dig it.
Peace Bash

Bat
Tue Mar 24th, 2009, 09:09 PM
Hi all,

Quick update - staples came out today (all 23 of them, gah! :shock: ). He is down to one crutch and nearly no pain in the hip, been off the heavy pain meds for nearly five days (woohoo!). Ironically, everything else is sore as hell as he now has to retrain/strengthen the muscles after ten years of limping and dealing with the bum hip. Four more weeks to go...Lord grant me patience, lol! ;) Although we have had some very generous offers by caring friends to remove driving/riding temptations from the garage...for his own good of course, lol.

FZRguy
Tue Mar 24th, 2009, 09:36 PM
Glad to hear he's on the mend!