PDA

View Full Version : Techie Question.

~Barn~
Fri Mar 13th, 2009, 07:08 PM
Now that I have my PC hooked up to this monster TV, via an HDMI cable, none of my videos are displaying the actual video.

When I launch .mpg or .avi files, Windows Media Player launches and I can hear the background but none of the video shows, it's just a blank black screen.

Same thing is true when I pop a DVD into either of my drives.

PowerDVD will launch and audio comes through nice and clear, but I am getting no love in the video department.

Anybody have any suggestions?

Panman06
Fri Mar 13th, 2009, 07:13 PM
Hard to troubleshoot remotely. However, one thing to check is the hardware acceleration within system properties>screen settings. Make sure your graphics card will push at the resolution you have it set.

slayermd
Fri Mar 13th, 2009, 07:20 PM
Sounds like a codec problem.

Google Media Player Codec Pack and it will work (its from download.com so its safe).

~Barn~
Fri Mar 13th, 2009, 08:11 PM
Thanks for the read fellas. Ended up ditching the HDMI cable and just went D-Sub, and I'm golden. Everything is back to normal.

:up:

slayermd
Fri Mar 13th, 2009, 08:23 PM
D-Sub

Boo!

Thats good it works now. :cheers:

~Barn~
Fri Mar 13th, 2009, 08:28 PM
Well if I had a Blu-Ray drive in my PC, I wouldn't have been so quick to give up on HDMI, but I'm still pushing retard resolution to this thing, and it looks amazing.

Even this downloaded .avi (read compressed) movie looks like it's upscaled to DVD quality. :rock:

= Buckeye Jess =
Fri Mar 13th, 2009, 08:37 PM
Hey now... you weren't using the HDMI cable that is supposed to be coming with my PS3 were you???? lol

~Barn~
Fri Mar 13th, 2009, 08:40 PM
Hey now... you weren't using the HDMI cable that is supposed to be coming with my PS3 were you???? lol
Since you asked, no. But just remember that while you're using Barn's low APR financing, it's my PS3. :lol:

= Buckeye Jess =
Fri Mar 13th, 2009, 08:42 PM
blah blah blah... lol

SaShWhO
Fri Mar 13th, 2009, 08:51 PM
so will Barn and Jess join the festivities at me casa tomorrow I wonder?

= Buckeye Jess =
Fri Mar 13th, 2009, 08:52 PM
Ahh.. I'd LOVE to Sash.... but I'm still up here at the work site for just a few more days. I will be seeing you on Wed tho!!

I was just checking out yer MySpace too....you have some interesting photos there my friend! lol

SaShWhO
Fri Mar 13th, 2009, 08:54 PM
that's all I got left:cry:

= Buckeye Jess =
Fri Mar 13th, 2009, 08:57 PM
all ya have left of what? photos? nah....wasn't a slam at all m'dear! lol
Hey..did ya find anything out about medics at Children's by chance???

SaShWhO
Fri Mar 13th, 2009, 09:34 PM
not yet babe cauz I've been crazy busy lately.
I'll definitely check into it though.

Filo
Fri Mar 13th, 2009, 09:56 PM
Hate to hijack back to the original thread, but the problem with your setup was your cable. Knowing you Barn, you went for the cheap cable. The problem with those is that the first bit of every frame gets omitted from the word. You need one of those $75, 6' cables. Those are so much better than the cheap, $3 kind. With the expensive cables, the leading bit filter is omitted, so you get much better quality.

~Barn~
Fri Mar 13th, 2009, 11:13 PM
You're dumb Adam. :lol:

http://www.itsbarn.com/images/data/media/4/moto_0104.jpg

Kim-n-Dean
Sat Mar 14th, 2009, 10:49 AM
My Yamaha amp, Mitsubishi TV, and Denon Blu-ray all had to be set to audio and video for the HDMI to work. With HDMI, you have the option to just push video or audio. Set it to both and you should be golden!

To get technical; I have mine set so my Denon sends audio and video to my amp. The amp only sends video to the TV.