Did you know that President Obama signed his stimulus package
on the same desk where President Clinton got
his package stimulated?

Tipys
Sat Mar 14th, 2009, 10:51 PM
LOL

rybo
Sat Mar 14th, 2009, 11:57 PM
The desk Obama is using is the Resolute Desk, which was a gift from queen Victoria in 1880. It was fashioned from the timbers that made up the HMS Resolute.

It's a pretty cool story, really. The Resolute became lodged in arctic ice while looking for the northwest passage and was abandoned by it's crew. The ice eventually melted and the ship was free, found by an american fisherman who towed it to port. The US government purchased the ship from the british, re-fitted it, and then returned it as a gift to queen victoria.

Once it was decommissioned for good, the queen had a desk made from it's timbers and gave the desk to then President Rutherford Hays.

Almost EVERY president since that time has used the desk. Richard Nixon, George HW Bush, Lyndon Johnson and Gerald Ford all chose not to use the desk in the oval. Bush did use it elsewhere in the White House.

While Mr. Ninja's tale is more fun, the history of the desk is really cool.

= Buckeye Jess =
Sun Mar 15th, 2009, 12:02 AM
Rybo....did you get your facts from "National Treasure"? LOL...j/k

rybo
Sun Mar 15th, 2009, 12:06 AM
No jess,

I'm just a wealth of useless knowledge...sorry to disappoint.

However, in a game of Cranium or Trivial Pursuit, it's good to have me on your team!

s

Panman06
Sun Mar 15th, 2009, 03:26 AM
No jess,

I'm just a wealth of useless knowledge...sorry to disappoint.

However, in a game of Cranium or Trivial Pursuit, it's good to have me on your team!

s

No knowledge is ever useless. :)

YZFRydn
Sun Mar 15th, 2009, 03:43 AM
Rybo....did you get your facts from "National Treasure"? LOL...j/k

You read my mind

Tipys
Sun Mar 15th, 2009, 07:50 AM
No knowledge is ever useless. :)

Oh I have loads of worthless knowledge. Thats why I cant spell.

Nick_Ninja
Sun Mar 15th, 2009, 08:48 AM
The desk Obama is using is the Resolute Desk, which was a gift from queen Victoria in 1880. It was fashioned from the timbers that made up the HMS Resolute.

It's a pretty cool story, really. The Resolute became lodged in arctic ice while looking for the northwest passage and was abandoned by it's crew. The ice eventually melted and the ship was free, found by an american fisherman who towed it to port. The US government purchased the ship from the british, re-fitted it, and then returned it as a gift to queen victoria.

Once it was decommissioned for good, the queen had a desk made from it's timbers and gave the desk to then President Rutherford Hays.

Almost EVERY president since that time has used the desk. Richard Nixon, George HW Bush, Lyndon Johnson and Gerald Ford all chose not to use the desk in the oval. Bush did use it elsewhere in the White House.

While Mr. Ninja's tale is more fun, the history of the desk is really cool.

Man --------- ruin a great joke will ya :roll:

j/k :D