PDA

View Full Version : Laptop purchase advice

The GECCO
Wed Mar 18th, 2009, 09:30 PM
Hey all,

I'll need to pick up a laptop in the very near future (it'd be nice to have it by Monday) and I need some advice where to go and what to buy.

It'll be used for web access, mostly for email and stuff that won't need a boatload of horsepower, and I'll need a basic Microsoft package (Word, Excel, etc). 15" OK, 17" would be better.

Is there any way to get short term access to an AT&T wireless card? I'd really only need it for the first month or so.

I'm thinking Dell but could be talked into something else. Thoughts?

Thanks!
Glenn

Zach929rr
Wed Mar 18th, 2009, 09:39 PM
Maybe take a peek at some off the stuff offered on newegg, although Dell is pretty solid. I have one of their higher end ($3000+) laptops, and it treats me real nice. Just watch out for the extra crap they try to sell ya!

Sean
Wed Mar 18th, 2009, 09:40 PM
Macbook :up:

Zach929rr
Wed Mar 18th, 2009, 09:53 PM
Mac's are for old people and retards. :lol:

salsashark
Wed Mar 18th, 2009, 09:59 PM
I picked up my HP laptop from Microcenter. It was a refurbished model but it got my through grad school without any hassle.

1.6 GHz dual core, 2 G ram (came with one, but it's almost a mandatory upgrade with Vista), 120G hard drive, 17" widescreen monitor... I think I paid around 600 for it a couple of years ago.

It's never failed me and didn't break the bank either. If you're hesitant about ordering online, roll down to Microcenter and check out what they have...

http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/product/29887/review/pavilion_dv9000t.html

One other note... I wouldn't want this pc if I was using it to travel. It's great for around the house and the occasional client meeting, but I think it would be way too big to travel with all the time.

or PM Dana... you know, whatever.

dirkterrell
Wed Mar 18th, 2009, 10:00 PM
http://www.boulder.swri.edu/%7Eterrell/images/macpc.jpg

Sean
Wed Mar 18th, 2009, 10:17 PM
Good point. That must be why everybody else in my doctoral program has them as well. :slap:

I've always had PC's (desktop and laptop). While they are easier for programming stuff and you can get more hacked programs, I have not had one, not one issue, with my Mac since I've switched. No viruses, no glitches and no problems. It's worth the extra cash imo.

Zach929rr
Wed Mar 18th, 2009, 10:34 PM
Good point. That must be why everybody else in my doctoral program has them as well. :slap:

Seriously? I can't be someone in a Doctorate program would honestly use the "It's the best because everybody else has it" justification. I bet that Ipod locks up on you half the time surfing your Macbook, sipping on that Starbucks Mocha Cappucinno? Keep working on the Ph.D in Underwater Basket Weaving :lol:

Other than that, Mac's are cheaper on the low to mid-range equipment and are decent overall machines. You just need to relearn the different OS (BTW Macs can run virtual instances of Windows and Linux... pretty useful sometimes)

XJ600s
Wed Mar 18th, 2009, 11:12 PM
Not vouching for the quality of the machine, but www.woot.com has a refurbed hp up for sale tonight.

Captain Obvious
Wed Mar 18th, 2009, 11:46 PM
Newegg.com usually has decent prices and good sales. For what you are say you are doing, you def don't need to spend $1K+. Most people don't. Sort of like having a Tahoe 4x4 to drive around the city.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2034940032%204020&name=%24400%20-%20%24500
or
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2034940032%204021&name=%24500%20-%20%24750

Tipys
Wed Mar 18th, 2009, 11:51 PM
Not vouching for the quality of the machine, but www.woot.com (http://www.woot.com) has a refurbed hp up for sale tonight.

Its a damn good laptop. Its the same one I am using to post this right now.

rybo
Wed Mar 18th, 2009, 11:54 PM
<------must be a retard?

Been a mac user for about 5 years now.....never going back to a PC.

sugarrey
Thu Mar 19th, 2009, 12:35 AM
Guess what? these days....PC's are for retards.

I was a PC user till vista came out and I was almost forced to use it.....I said forget it, went out and bought a 15" macbook.

Dude WTF was I thinking, just pick up or touch a mac keyboard and you'll realize......PC's are for kids, get a real laptop loser!!!

Mac user, never going back!!!

Sean
Thu Mar 19th, 2009, 06:50 AM
"It's the best because everybody else has it" justification. You stated that "retards" use Macs. I simply offered information regarding a demographic that is not commonly deemed as "retarded".

I bet that Ipod locks up on you half the time surfing your Macbook, sipping on that Starbucks Mocha Cappucinno? Keep working on the Ph.D in Underwater Basket Weaving :lol:This isn't personal, at least not for me. If you want to make it personal and dig in on me, or anybody else in academia, that's fine, but there's no neeed to do it in this thread.

(BTW Macs can run virtual instances of Windows and Linux... pretty useful sometimes)+1 I also see that as an advantage/selling point for Macs :up:

Good Luck Glenn! You can also check pricewatch.com for links to lots of off-brand gear at lower prices.

Devaclis
Thu Mar 19th, 2009, 07:17 AM
Microcenter is a great way to go. there are also dome Dell Latitude D series laptop on eBay right now.

Are you looking brand new with a warranty or used?

If you are going new I would go with Dell. Their warranty is the best in the biz :)

dirkterrell
Thu Mar 19th, 2009, 07:40 AM

Guess what? these days....PC's are for retards.

Lighten up everybody. It's all in good fun like the Honduh, Suckzuki, Kawasucki, Yamahaha banter. All systems have their advantages and disadvantages. My setup of choice? A 4-core system running Linux and using KVM to run various OS's in virtual machines. Virtual machines kick ass.

Glenn: I agree with Dana. For a low-end laptop PC, Dell is where it's at.

Dirk

Squisha
Thu Mar 19th, 2009, 08:07 AM
I'd like to suggest checking out www.tigerdirect.com (http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/www.tigerdirect.com) . Always good deals for pretty decent computers.

The GECCO
Thu Mar 19th, 2009, 08:27 AM
Thanks to all! Big thanks to XJ600s and Tipys, that deal on woot is damn near unbeatable! I've bought a few things from them in the past and never had complaints, so it's on the way!!

Zach929rr
Thu Mar 19th, 2009, 08:28 AM
Lighten up everybody. It's all in good fun like the Honduh, Suckzuki, Kawasucki, Yamahaha banter. All systems have their advantages and disadvantages. My setup of choice? A 4-core system running Linux and using KVM to run various OS's in virtual machines. Virtual machines kick ass.

Yeah I should have known better than to come out with comments that people would probably take seriously. Mac users aren't all retards and ole people...

Try a few out in store maybe? Find a friend with a Mac?

Edit... Good to hear you made a choice and found a good deal :up:

~Barn~
Thu Mar 19th, 2009, 08:29 AM
Seriously? I can't be someone in a Doctorate program would honestly use the "It's the best because everybody else has it" justification. I bet that Ipod locks up on you half the time surfing your Macbook, sipping on that Starbucks Mocha Cappucinno? Keep working on the Ph.D in Underwater Basket Weaving :lol:

Dude.... You're kinda making yourself look stupid. The proper phrasing is "doctoral" program, and the degree itself is often referred to, as a doctorate.

Trying to clown on somebody because they prefer a certain type of computer over another, is kinda gay. Compounding it, by trying to correct him (incorrectly), and.... well....

Proceed with caution is all I'm suggesting.

And Glenn.... I would talk to Dana about one of the Dells that he often has for sale. That would be right up your ally, and you'll be able to get it on-the-cheap. :yes:

The GECCO
Thu Mar 19th, 2009, 08:35 AM
Dude.... You're kinda making yourself look stupid. The proper phrasing is "doctoral" program, and the degree itself is often referred to, as a doctorate.

Trying to clown on somebody because they prefer a certain type of computer over another, is kinda gay. Compounding it, by trying to correct him (incorrectly), and.... well....

Proceed with caution is all I'm suggesting.

And Glenn.... I would talk to Dana about one of the Dells that he often has for sale. That would be right up your ally, and you'll be able to get it on-the-cheap. :yes:

I agree with Barn, this argument is just like if I were to call Barn an idiot because he likes Cocoa Puffs! How silly would that be?!?! I mean...I still do it....but I'm tryin to make a point here! :lol:

I gave Dana a ping and he's all sold out so I did some more lookin and went with the WOOT!

~Barn~
Thu Mar 19th, 2009, 08:38 AM
<snip...> because he likes Cocoa Puffs!

<--------- A Blueberry Morning guy.

http://www.buythecase.net/uploads/products/200/4300010210.jpg

The GECCO
Thu Mar 19th, 2009, 08:38 AM
<------must be a retard?

It's OK, Scott, we still like ya. But, hey, just admitting it is half the battle! :)

Zach929rr
Thu Mar 19th, 2009, 08:39 AM
Once again... I wasn't even near seriousness. Figured most of you good natured people could take a little ribbing :lol: I'm going to leave it at that..

Is this thing on??... *tap* *tap*

~Barn~
Thu Mar 19th, 2009, 08:45 AM
Fair enough Zach... No harm-No foul.

Just remember that the ribbing has to at least be witty though. Geriatric jokes and Underwater Basket Weaving may have been top shelf material back during recess, but this shit is chess, it ain't checkers. ;)

Now that was kinda funny. :lol:

The GECCO
Thu Mar 19th, 2009, 08:46 AM
Once again... I wasn't even near seriousness. Figured most of you good matured people could take a little ribbing :lol: I'm going to leave it at that..

Good matured? Jeeezzzz, are you stupid?? YOU CAN'T EVEN TYPE! You must be the biggest idiot on the planet! How are you still breathing?

SOMEONE BAN THE TYPO GUY!!!!

(sorry, I saw you trying to salvage the thread and, well, since it's already filled my needs I couldn't let that happen so I figured I'd go ahead and push it over the cliff)

Sean
Thu Mar 19th, 2009, 08:48 AM
if I were to call Barn an idiot because he likes Cocoa Puffs!But there are so many other reasons to call Barn an idiot. :lol: j/k Barn

Congrats Glenn! It def looked like a good deal. I hope you enjoy it :up:

It's all good, in the neighborhood :hump: Notice I didn't dispute his point about "old people" :lol: As evident, Scott and I are no spring chickens. So that may be a very valid point. :oops:

~Barn~
Thu Mar 19th, 2009, 08:48 AM
I figured I'd go ahead and push it over the cliff

http://neatorama.cachefly.net/images/2007-06/this-is-sparta-caution-cone.jpg

Zach929rr
Thu Mar 19th, 2009, 08:50 AM
Good matured? Jeeezzzz, are you stupid?? YOU CAN'T EVEN TYPE! You must be the biggest idiot on the planet! How are you still breathing

Goddamn Firefox spell check betrayed me!!!! NOoooooooooooooo

Edit: Oh and lol @ Barn

Geriatric jokes and Underwater Basket Weaving may have been top shelf material back during recess, but this shit is chess, it ain't checkers.

Devaclis
Thu Mar 19th, 2009, 08:57 AM
Yeah, hat laptop on woot is a great deal. I should get 4 or five of them and add a little markup and.........

Sean
Thu Mar 19th, 2009, 09:05 AM
SOMEONE BAN THE TYPO GUY!!!!

Yeah, hat laptop on woot is a great deal.
:dunno:

Okay, I'll stop. I'm just trowing fuel on the fire. :lol:

Filo
Thu Mar 19th, 2009, 09:07 AM
I got my laptop by taking two broken D600s, bugging Dana for a little knowledge, taking them apart and making one that works. 2 hours of my time, $0.

For future reference Glen (or is it Glennnnn?) I have used the Dell Outlet to get refurb laptops around the $300-$350 price range. Or you can just drive 1/2 mile to my house and pick up the remaining D600 carcass and try to make it work...

Oh yeah, Mac users are retards, PC users are habitual masturbaters, Linux users Kant Spell. PDP-11 FTMFW!!!

Zach929rr
Thu Mar 19th, 2009, 09:19 AM
http://www.videovat.com/videos/2275/dave-chappelle-mac.aspx

:lol:

XJ600s
Thu Mar 19th, 2009, 09:22 AM
I never used to like Mac's. Until I got to CU and every computer on campus is a Mac. I ended up buying a 12" Powerbook G4 on eBay for about $400 in great condition and once I really got into using it, I started to love Macs!

I still use my Dell desktop with dual 24" monitors (hey, if dell is stupid enough to upgrade me from a 17" to, not a 19" like they were supposed to, but instead dual 24" monitors without charging me a dime, I'm gonna support them again in the future, just hoping they'll make the same mistake). XP is an amazing operating system, but it has its faults (like Macs).

Linux/UNIX machines are amazing in their own right. My computer at work is running Linux and because I deal a lot with programming, which it is built for, it is extremely fast and some of the things I can do with it are better than Mac or PC. Granted, their version of Word/Excel/etc are pieces of crap software. There is little to no formatting allowed, and even though it can read a .doc file, it is not able to read the formatting or even the paragraph notations.

All in all, my next computer will be a Mac. Most likely a desktop, though my laptop is starting to wig out on me (the frame is beginning to change shape on its own and warp the sides a little).

Gregger
Thu Mar 19th, 2009, 11:02 AM
<------Macbook Pro (unibody), 24" Aluminum iMac and a Mac Mini (old model, used as HTPC with Plex).

I run Windows 7 on both with VMWare for my Accessport tuning. Does very well.

TurboGizzmo
Thu Mar 19th, 2009, 11:36 AM
I run them all....my favorite laptop is a Macbook because it runs all the OS's I need....

But if your looking for something basic check out Dell Outlet....or perhaps one of those Netbooks (Acer, Asus, Dell, HP....they all make one)