PDA

View Full Version : Help a Mang with his Chain

Zach929rr
Wed Mar 18th, 2009, 10:20 PM
Probably want to clean/grease the 'ol chain after I ride tomorrow. I will be back around 6pm. Just seeing if there was anyone out there kind enough to show a newb the technique. I really just need use of rear stands, but would like someone to show me how to do it right.

I will provide all the supplies (although you'll have to help me out here... steel-head brush/cleaning agent/grease... don't know what I should be using here but will buy my own ish since I'll be doing it from now on). Beer/Food as the usual payment for services rendered.

willb003
Wed Mar 18th, 2009, 10:40 PM
Yeah I can give ya a hand, talk to ya about it tomorrow.

BadAssR1
Thu Mar 19th, 2009, 12:06 AM
Man dont even waste your time.. Relplace it yearly due to stretch and Just spay on some good ole PJ1 lube.. Here is a link to the lube http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-cleaning-polish/pj1-chain-lube.htm

and if you for some reason really think you need to clean it n all that jazz here
http://www.webbikeworld.com/t2/motorcycle-chain-lube/

Airreed
Thu Mar 19th, 2009, 08:34 AM
Kerosene is the shizznit for cleaning your chain then put your favorite chain lube on.
Get yourself a rearstand (start trolling for a used one here or on Craigslist).

Sully
Thu Mar 19th, 2009, 08:42 AM
I think I saw a Pit Bull rear stand on here for sale.. Ohh, looks like you already saw it.

I use MOTOREX 611 Chain Clean to clean the chain and the BelRay Chain Lube. I've tried the PJ1 (along with 5 other brands) and they fling all over my rim :rant:

Zach929rr
Thu Mar 19th, 2009, 08:44 AM
I had heard good things about BelRay (after they changed ownership??? I might be way off base there)

Good places to buy this ish at a decent price? I'm hoping TFOG since I'm heading down there today :D

Sully
Thu Mar 19th, 2009, 08:50 AM
I think Jim carries Silkolene, not sure what other brands he has on hand.

Zach929rr
Thu Mar 19th, 2009, 08:53 AM
Man dont even waste your time.. Relplace it yearly due to stretch and Just spay on some good ole PJ1 lube..

I'm more of the OCD type when it comes to moto-maintenance, so I think I would go crazy if I did only that. :crazy:

And I'd clean/grease regularly and get some good life out of the chain rather than buy a new DID every year.

~Barn~
Thu Mar 19th, 2009, 08:58 AM
+10 to the Kerosene tip, Jason. Cheap, plentiful, and will demolish the gunk on your chain. And unless I'm making this up, I'm pretty sure that this is what most chain manufs. actually recommend to clean it with. :dunno:

As far as lubes go, I've always liked Maxxis Wax. If you follow the instructions and let is set properly, it hardly flings at all. Seems a little more resilient to moisture, too.

http://www.faster-motocross.com/images/53-0559lg.jpg

Sully
Thu Mar 19th, 2009, 09:00 AM
I agree on the kerosene, I just don't want the mess on my hands. The BelRay is a white wax that dries nicely over my gold bling chain :mrt: lol

Airreed
Thu Mar 19th, 2009, 09:03 AM
Sully-Use your rubber gloves!

((Box of 100 rubber gloves at Wally-World is around five bucks)).

Sully
Thu Mar 19th, 2009, 09:09 AM
Thanks Airreed... I do need to pick some up.. I go through like 3+ pair each time due to ripping ! I still like the Motorex spray can :D

ohhh I'm bummed I missed your new bike last night :(

Slo
Thu Mar 19th, 2009, 10:52 AM
I have heard to clean it after a couple of decent rides, I clean mine once every 1500 miles or so and haven't had to replace any chains on either bike still.

If you need help let me know. Also will be a bit better while the chain is still warm.

SaShWhO
Thu Mar 19th, 2009, 12:11 PM
Man dont even waste your time.. Relplace it yearly due to stretch and Just spay on some good ole PJ1 lube.. Here is a link to the lube http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-cleaning-polish/pj1-chain-lube.htm

and if you for some reason really think you need to clean it n all that jazz here
http://www.webbikeworld.com/t2/motorcycle-chain-lube/

great advise money bags but for the majority of us your input is too expensive therefore not an option.

Slo
Thu Mar 19th, 2009, 01:10 PM
great advise money bags but for the majority of us your input is too expensive therefore not an option.

Plus if your the type to clean your bike, why not the chain too....

Sean
Thu Mar 19th, 2009, 01:27 PM
great advise money bags but for the majority of us your input is too expensive therefore not an option.$5.99 for PJ1 Lube is to expensive? If money is that tight, you can come use some of mine. :dunno:

~Barn~
Thu Mar 19th, 2009, 01:42 PM
Jay, I think Sascha was actually referring to B.A.R1 saying "just replace the chain" every 12 months.

:dunno:

Sean
Thu Mar 19th, 2009, 01:47 PM
Did you just call me Jay? That's it man, you can't go any lower, them be fighting words!

And yes, I know. I was just giving Sash some shit :up:

Devaclis
Thu Mar 19th, 2009, 01:51 PM
Do yo chain hang low?

SaShWhO
Thu Mar 19th, 2009, 03:25 PM
Jay:slappers:
how bout VAJay:slappers:

like the barnicle said mang

MetaLord 9
Thu Mar 19th, 2009, 03:35 PM
Dude, if you're killing a chain every year then you're doing some REALLY hard riding or you've got that thing geared really rough. All stock here & I'm not close to replacing the chain, despite having the bike 2 years now

~Barn~
Thu Mar 19th, 2009, 03:36 PM
Did you just call me Jay? That's it man, you can't go any lower, them be fighting words!

And yes, I know. I was just giving Sash some shit :up:

Wow... I picked the wrong day to stop sniffing glue. I actually saw Jay's [Slo's] screen name, but was reading your comment.

me ---> :slap: <--- me

Slo
Thu Mar 19th, 2009, 03:47 PM
No one can claim the slo title like I have!!!!! There can only be one.

MetaLord 9
Thu Mar 19th, 2009, 03:55 PM
I think you guys should have a slo-off to see who gets it

Sean
Thu Mar 19th, 2009, 03:58 PM
Wow... I picked the wrong day to stop sniffing glue. I actually saw Jay's [Slo's] screen name, but was reading your comment.

me ---> :slap: <--- meJust busting your chops, Barn :up: But still, who would ever want to be compared to that Jay guy? He's a few cards shy of a full deck, if you know what I mean? :hump: And he's so sloooooooooooooow. :slappers:

And to actually be relevant to the topic, I don't think my chain has ever been changed. 20,000 miles and good maintenance. Then again, I don't race and only put on 6-7k a year. Maybe that's a big difference? I like kerosene, smells funny and works good.

BadAssR1
Thu Mar 19th, 2009, 03:59 PM
You mean bikes are being ridden other ways than hard? thats weird.. Yes I ride my bike balls out 98% of the time, weather its on one tire or twinin some canyons or riding to cali a 520 dont last that long.... And chains are so cheap Id rather spend the 5 mins replacing it than the hour or so people spend cleaning them.. I can make more in a hour working that its worth spending cleanin a chain. I change the sprockets every year also. Got lots of old shiet if anyone wants it lol..

Dude, if you're killing a chain every year then you're doing some REALLY hard riding or you've got that thing geared really rough. All stock here & I'm not close to replacing the chain, despite having the bike 2 years now

Devaclis
Thu Mar 19th, 2009, 04:02 PM
Takes more than 5 minutes to change a chain.

520's do not wear out that fast.

You change your chain and sprocket at the same time (everyone knows that)

Put your balls back in when you ride. It is rude to have them out.

Bueller
Thu Mar 19th, 2009, 04:09 PM
This is awesome

GixxerCarrie
Thu Mar 19th, 2009, 04:11 PM
Kerosene is how Jim Wilson (Ugly Dog Racing) taught this newb to clean her chain. (actually he did it for me) he!he!. :slappers:LOL.

But I now have my own as I got lectured about needing to keep it clean.:)

I got my T-Rex stands on E-bay for a steal.

Right Jimmy!:alien:

MetaLord 9
Thu Mar 19th, 2009, 04:15 PM
You mean bikes are being ridden other ways than hard? thats weird.. Yes I ride my bike balls out 98% of the time, weather its on one tire or twinin some canyons or riding to cali a 520 dont last that long.... And chains are so cheap Id rather spend the 5 mins replacing it than the hour or so people spend cleaning them.. I can make more in a hour working that its worth spending cleanin a chain. I change the sprockets every year also. Got lots of old shiet if anyone wants it lol..
Aside from EXTREME stunting and EXTREME canyons and EXTREME cali trips do you do any EXTREME commuting? Because that's usually how a bike gets ridden ways other than hard.

If you adjust & maintain them properly, I know plenty of folks that have had a 520 last quite awhile. Even some racers don't burn through chains that fast. I mean if you can afford it & you wanna spend the time then your ride is your ride and you're welcome to maintain it however ya want mang!

Sully
Thu Mar 19th, 2009, 04:27 PM
I am an EXTREME Poser.. and not so extreme squid.. I'm skurrrrrred. :shocked:

BadAssR1
Thu Mar 19th, 2009, 04:47 PM
Takes more than 5 minutes to change a chain.

520's do not wear out that fast.

You change your chain and sprocket at the same time (everyone knows that)

Ill make you a 1000 dollar bet I have it done in 5 mins.. And sorry to break your heart there smoked that fast. And I DO NOT CHANGE SPROCKETS AT THE SAME TIME... But you should teach me something since I have NO IDEA what I am talking about lmao..

SaShWhO
Thu Mar 19th, 2009, 04:50 PM
And I DO NOT CHANGE SPROCKETS AT THE SAME TIME... But you should teach me something since I have NO IDEA what I am talking about lmao..[/quote]

that's probably why you're going through chains that fast.
there--now I tought you something

MetaLord 9
Thu Mar 19th, 2009, 04:50 PM
Yes I ride my bike balls out 98% of the time

My balls are so big, I had to cut one loose.

Gainer
Thu Mar 19th, 2009, 04:53 PM
I have NO IDEA what I am talking about lmao..

I am starting to agree with you.

BadAssR1
Thu Mar 19th, 2009, 05:16 PM
SO please explain to me how you think my sprocket has anything to do to how my chain wears out? And Please tell me how you have any idea what parts I use and why sprockets have no matter to my chain.. Your all really smart here on the internet.

Gainer
Thu Mar 19th, 2009, 05:34 PM
SO please explain to me how you think my sprocket has anything to do to how my chain wears out? And Please tell me how you have any idea what parts I use and why sprockets have no matter to my chain.. Your all really smart here on the internet.

If you put a new chain on old sprockets the chain will wear faster than if you replaced the sprockets with the chain. It is a simple mechanical fact. Old worn out metal surfaces (worn sprockets) will cause premature wear to new metal surfaces (new chain) when they make contact. This is why it is always recommended that you replace both the sprockets and the chain at the same time so they can wear together.

willb003
Thu Mar 19th, 2009, 05:35 PM
HAHAHA This thread is awesome!

SumoWeezle
Thu Mar 19th, 2009, 05:46 PM
wow, just wow...

BadAssR1
Thu Mar 19th, 2009, 06:20 PM
Lol Ill let you think what you want.. But I have done it both ways makes no matter. I dont care what you read. And Dont forget I dont run STEEL sprockets either.. Im not going to argue with you when I have been building riding bikes for over 15 years. I have yet to see a chain last a NOTICEable amount longer from replacing both. So tell me how and why I am replacing my WORN out chains. Since someone know SOOO much.. What is wearing out on my chain?

BadAssR1
Thu Mar 19th, 2009, 06:23 PM
Im not going to Argue Ur opinion to my self proven opinion no more.. I posted the dude helpful cleaning link and he can do as he feels fit with his setup.. As for me Im replacing as I do now.

FZRguy
Thu Mar 19th, 2009, 06:24 PM
I love these :horse: threads.

I got 12,000 plus miles out of my Regina/RK chain/sprocket set. Granted, the chain and rear sprocket were totally toast. Just bought a Sidewinder setup…laser cut billet rear, tool steel counter and smart chain. Expensive at $300 but seems to be the shitz and should last a long time on my Fizzer. They have Ti sprockets too. Lots of info about chains/sprockets and chain care at their site. http://sidewindersprockets.com/

SaShWhO
Thu Mar 19th, 2009, 06:26 PM
building "riding bikes" since the tender age of 12:crazy: RESPECT!!

lightspeed
Thu Mar 19th, 2009, 06:29 PM
Dude, it's your chain and your bike...do what YOU want to do; and then get on the thing and ride with us. We aren't racing at the local circuit; there are no trophies or cash winnings involved...so it's really insignificant relative to the bigger picture.

willb003
Thu Mar 19th, 2009, 06:35 PM
What's a "smart chain?"

FZRguy
Thu Mar 19th, 2009, 07:44 PM
What's a "smart chain?"

http://sidewindersprockets.com/

asp_125
Thu Mar 19th, 2009, 07:52 PM
If your chain tension is out of spec that could be a reason you're wearing out chains so quickly. Too tight or to much slack beats up the links and stretches them, that and your riding style (snapping the throttle WOT from rest or low rpm will beat up a chain).

willb003
Thu Mar 19th, 2009, 07:54 PM
Looks to good to be true, plus they are advertising chain lube at the bottom of the main page for the smart chain.

FZRguy
Thu Mar 19th, 2009, 08:02 PM
The chain/sprocket set I got from them is top notch stuff. Sidewinder is not well known outside of the racing scene.

Zach929rr
Thu Mar 19th, 2009, 08:02 PM
I love these :horse: threads.

I just wanted advice on some basic maintenance :lol: Thanks to all that have replied thus far.

UglyDogRacing
Thu Mar 19th, 2009, 11:33 PM
This is awesome

I agree. http://smiliesftw.com/x/ownedthumb.gif

UglyDogRacing
Fri Mar 20th, 2009, 12:12 AM

Ok I will give it my best shot. I found some pretty pictures that may help you understand this.
Here is how the dimensions of your chain are determined-
http://www.gizmology.net/images/chain.gif

Sprockets are designed to match a chain's pitch, roller diameter and roller width. The sprocket measurements are the pitch diameter, outside diameter, and bottom diameter.

http://www.gizmology.net/images/sprocket.gif

So this is a worn out sprocket I had laying around in the garage. Yours probably get like this too since you ride so hard.

http://i321.photobucket.com/albums/nn373/UglyDogRacing/blown%20motor/DSC_0016.jpg

Here I am comparing it to a new sprocket. You can clearly see the difference. The pitch diameter, outside diameter, and bottom diameter have changed due to the removal of material from wear. You are probably already familiar with all this.

http://i321.photobucket.com/albums/nn373/UglyDogRacing/blown%20motor/DSC_0020.jpg

Since we are all so smart here on the internet, please tell us what happens when you put a new chain on this worn out sprocket.

http://i321.photobucket.com/albums/nn373/UglyDogRacing/blown%20motor/DSC_0018.jpg

GixxerCarrie
Fri Mar 20th, 2009, 05:38 AM
:hump:Jimmy Rocks.....

Devaclis
Fri Mar 20th, 2009, 07:32 AM
Don't feed the troll. He will get fat and eat your babies.

Sean
Fri Mar 20th, 2009, 07:35 AM
Ok I will give it my best shot.
good info + a little sarcasm = nice post :up:

CHRISTIAN COWBOY
Fri Mar 20th, 2009, 07:38 AM
I miss my Harley, it would drip oil all the time and fling it on my chain, thus never needed to oil it!!!!
My Yamaha doesnt do that self oiling thing, so had to replace my chain and sprockets!!
Thanks for all the helpful hints on how to clean and oil my new set.

UglykidJoe
Fri Mar 20th, 2009, 08:31 AM
I have been riding since last June, I have almost 3000 mi on my bike, at what point should i start thinking about all this chain maintenance.

UglyDogRacing
Fri Mar 20th, 2009, 08:38 AM
I have been riding since last June, I have almost 3000 mi on my bike, at what point should i start thinking about all this chain maintenance.

check the chain for stretching. check the sprockets for visible wear. at 3000 miles your chain should still be fine unless you have run it for awhile out of adjustmentment which would cause it to prematurely stretch.

~Barn~
Fri Mar 20th, 2009, 08:39 AM
Every time the bike gets wet, (whether from riding in weather or from washing), a quick kerosene wipedown, and a re-lube, are a good idea.

Depending on how hard the 3k miles have been, you may have a lot of chain slack, or you may not have any at all. Check your slack, and if you're still within spec, you're good. If you have some excess "freeplay", make the needed adjustments. Won't take much more than 10 or 15 minutes, probably. :up:

~Barn~
Fri Mar 20th, 2009, 08:39 AM
Or, let Jim ninja me.

UglyDogRacing
Fri Mar 20th, 2009, 08:42 AM
Or, let Jim ninja me.

http://smiliesftw.com/x/mk_smiley1.gif

MetaLord 9
Fri Mar 20th, 2009, 08:56 AM
THIS is why the internet is awesome! :D

Lube it about every 500 mi or so. Adjust as necessary.

Now, everybody get your torches & pitchforks to chase the troll back under his bridge

UglykidJoe
Fri Mar 20th, 2009, 10:02 AM
I will inspect this weekend, thanks for the lesson.

Gainer
Fri Mar 20th, 2009, 10:32 AM
Motorex chain clean 611 is great stuff!!!! I use it from time to time to get all the old lube and dirt off. It is amazing how well it works. Just don't over use it.
http://www.motorexusa.com/prod_detail.asp?id=98

FZRguy
Fri Mar 20th, 2009, 05:26 PM
So with my $300 chain/sprocket set, I picked up this alignment tool. I have always suspected the alignment marks on your average swingarm to not be totally accurate...and proper alignment is critical for long chain/sprocket life. I recently used it on my dirt bike, ignoring the alignment marks, and sure enough they are not accurate and I've been running it slightly off.

The “Sidewinder Straightaway” is a very clever yet simple tool that guarantees perfect sprocket and chain alignment every time. It clamps to your sprocket face in seconds and provides an absolutely dead-on, parallel sight rod so you can bring the chain into perfect alignment by drawing on your axle adjusters. Without a reference line, your eye can never get it correct. This tool provides the reference line you need. Few riders realize that only a few degrees of mis-alignment between the chain and sprocket will cause significantly faster wear of the entire drive system and results in the loss of up to 3 horsepower. This truly is a must-have tool for anyone who owns a machine with a chain drive, power-transfer system. $39.99

Zach929rr
Fri Mar 20th, 2009, 05:35 PM
^^^ that's pretty tits.

Sean
Fri Mar 20th, 2009, 05:45 PM
Zach, did you ever get your chain cleaned and taken care of? The threads have been derailing lately and it's important that you get the info and help needed, if needed.

Zach929rr
Fri Mar 20th, 2009, 05:49 PM
Yeah. I saw that cluster f**k all day today :lol: I ended up finding out that the guy I bought it from was using BelRay lube... so I'll probably go with that. Just need to borrow a garage and a rear stand from somebody. Willb003 recommended Break Kleen for cleaning so I might try that. Need to find the OEM spec chain slack tolerance too... probably in my service manual :dunno:

Sean
Fri Mar 20th, 2009, 05:53 PM
Yeah. I saw that cluster f**k all day today :lol: I ended up finding out that the guy I bought it from was using BelRay lube... so I'll probably go with that. Just need to borrow a garage and a rear stand from somebody. Willb003 recommended Break Kleen for cleaning so I might try that. Need to find the OEM spec chain slack tolerance too... probably in my service manual :dunno:Just want to make sure. I'm around late tomorrow afternoon. I have a rear stand (if you have spools on the bike), kerosene and Motul chain lube if you need. No garage. I'm in Boulder.

SumoWeezle
Fri Mar 20th, 2009, 05:54 PM
If you need some space to work on your bike, youre more than welcome over at my place. I'll even let you use my rearstand. :)

willb003
Fri Mar 20th, 2009, 05:57 PM
So with my $300 chain/sprocket set, I picked up this alignment tool. I have always suspected the alignment marks on your average swingarm to not be totally accurate...and proper alignment is critical for long chain/sprocket life. I recently used it on my dirt bike, ignoring the alignment marks, and sure enough they are not accurate and I've been running it slightly off.

The “Sidewinder Straightaway” is a very clever yet simple tool that guarantees perfect sprocket and chain alignment every time. It clamps to your sprocket face in seconds and provides an absolutely dead-on, parallel sight rod so you can bring the chain into perfect alignment by drawing on your axle adjusters. Without a reference line, your eye can never get it correct. This tool provides the reference line you need. Few riders realize that only a few degrees of mis-alignment between the chain and sprocket will cause significantly faster wear of the entire drive system and results in the loss of up to 3 horsepower. This truly is a must-have tool for anyone who owns a machine with a chain drive, power-transfer system. $39.99

Yeah I saw that and it looks cool but kinda expensive, I think a straight edge would work just as well and not cost 40 bucks.

Zach929rr
Fri Mar 20th, 2009, 06:02 PM
If you need some space to work on your bike, youre more than welcome over at my place. I'll even let you use my rearstand. :)

You cutie pie :slappers::lol:

Got some time this weekend?

FZRguy
Fri Mar 20th, 2009, 06:12 PM
A straight edge won't work...unless you can figure out how to attach it perfectly square to the rear sprocket.

SumoWeezle
Fri Mar 20th, 2009, 06:15 PM
I'll be home all day on Sunday building RC planes with my friends. you're welcome to the garage then. Sash is heading over now so we can wrench on his bike and get it fixed. You're more than welcome to join us.

Zach929rr
Fri Mar 20th, 2009, 06:18 PM
Pm'd Sumo.

willb003
Fri Mar 20th, 2009, 06:39 PM
A straight edge won't work...unless you can figure out how to attached it perfectly square to the rear sprocket.

I just hold it up touching the sprocket closer to the axel so that there is more area touching, basically works the same way as that thing.