PDA

View Full Version : Dumb dirtbike newb questions - Ask them here

Devaclis
Fri Mar 20th, 2009, 08:06 AM
I will start, since I am the only dirt newb on this board.

1. How do I get my bike on a stationary stand? Like the milk crate kind? Just lean it over on the kickstand and then pivot onto it?

2. The chain on these obviously need more slack than a sportbike. What is the general rule of thumb for slack with the swing arm loaded and unloaded?

MetaLord 9
Fri Mar 20th, 2009, 08:49 AM
3. What's a dirt bike?

Filo
Fri Mar 20th, 2009, 09:14 AM

1. How do I get my bike on a stationary stand? Like the milk crate kind? Just lean it over on the kickstand and then pivot onto it?

2. The chain on these obviously need more slack than a sportbike. What is the general rule of thumb for slack with the swing arm loaded and unloaded?

You have questions; I have answers:

1) I stand on one side of the bike with the stand on the other side (so the bike is between us), reach over the seat and grab the rail just below the number plate, and lift up the bike with my arm and a little bit of leg. I then roll it back a little on the front tire and plop it onto the stand. Fine adjustments are done on the stand.

2) RTFM!!!! (Hey, that IS fun). I have about 3/4 of an inch slack, maybe a little less, with the bike on the ground. It is in the manual and on the swingarm sticker how much there should be, so I haven't memorized it. It is much more loose than my street bikes.

Devaclis
Fri Mar 20th, 2009, 09:18 AM
Yeah, I got no manual with the bike and no sticker either :(

Bueller
Fri Mar 20th, 2009, 03:33 PM
load the suspension (bounce) and make sure the chain doesn't go tight (have some one help). Then get a measurement of free play. Engrave or write it on swingarm.
Too loose is better than too tight.

Horsman
Fri Mar 20th, 2009, 03:50 PM

2. The chain on these obviously need more slack than a sportbike. What is the general rule of thumb for slack with the swing arm loaded and unloaded? RULE OF THUMB: DON'T PUT YER THUMB IN THERE

YZFRydn
Fri Mar 20th, 2009, 05:56 PM

Put the stand on the opposite side that you're standing on close to the bike. Lean the bike towards you, grab under the side # panel, use your leg and lift the back end up and put it on.

I don't have anything more than an inch and a half of play in the chain. I've noticed I have to tighten the chain more on my dirt bike than I do on the streetbike.

What kind of bike did you get?

FZRguy
Fri Mar 20th, 2009, 05:58 PM
A dirt bike with long travel suspension needs a lot more than 3/4 inch slack unladen...whatcha ya smokin' Adam? And forget that toss, throw your back out kind of stand. Get a FMF step-up stand at Perfomance for $80...your back will thank you.

Filo
Fri Mar 20th, 2009, 09:24 PM
A dirt bike with long travel suspension needs a lot more than 3/4 inch slack unladen...whatcha ya smokin' Adam? And forget that toss, throw your back out kind of stand. Get a FMF step-up stand at Perfomance for $80...your back will thank you.

I'm smoking 40 year old brain. Like I said, I gots it wrote down. So I looked at the good book (the Honda service manual, not The Good Book) and for my 04-05 crf250x it says 1.0-1.4 inches or 25-35mm with the rear wheel off the ground on the upper chain run midway between the sprockets. It also says excessive slack (more than 2.0 inches) may damage the frame. So John is right. He is also right about buying the pop up stand. The last thing you want to do after working hard on the dirt bike is haul that pos up onto the stand. It is OK for the younguns, but I am getting the pop-up stand for this year.

FZRguy
Fri Mar 20th, 2009, 09:57 PM
Well, it is a Honda. :) Your 1-1.4 is prolly pretty close for a DRZ...full-on MX is more like 1.5-2.

Bueller
Sat Mar 21st, 2009, 08:04 AM
I'm smoking 40 year caulk......... It also says excessive slack (more than 2.0 inches) may damage the frame.
Don't want to scratch the paint on that Honda, it is probably structural, but the DrZ in indestructible.