PDA

View Full Version : The benefits/advantages of different tire profile

MikeG
Fri Mar 20th, 2009, 10:17 PM
My R1 comes stock with a 190 50 17 and I'm considering a taller profile 190 55 17. I've heard that with a taller profile it can give you an advantage in cornering and an easier "turn in". Any thoughts and suggestions would be great.

rybo
Sat Mar 21st, 2009, 12:05 AM
Hey Mike,

It's really not quite that simple. When you go to the taller rear tire it's not just the tire you're affecting. You are essentially affecting the rear ride height of the bike. You could accomplish the same effect by raising rear ride height (adding preload to the rear spring or if you have adjustable rear ride height on the shock you could use that too).

There are trade off's to every adjustment. When you raise rear ride height you make the head tube angle steeper (more aggressive geometry). This will make the bike turn in more easily, and switch direction more rapidly, but at the cost of stability. Raise the rear ride height enough and the bike will become completely unstable at speed on a straightaway. The bike will also NOT like going straight down a highway at the extreme.

Another way you can accomplish the same thing is to raise the forks in the tubes of your bike (lowering the front of the bike has the same effect as raising the rear)

Finally make sure that if you fit the larger tire that everything will clear inside of the swing arm. If it "just barely fits" it won't work at speed as tires grow a little at speed.

Motorcycle geometry is a great subject and I'm just a 6th grader. If you want some more insight into making your bike handle better I would drop IRDave a PM on here. He's more the master in this area. Remember that every adjustment is a trade off, and that nothing really comes for free. The question is, "is the benefit worth the cost"

Best of luck

scott

daemon
Sat Mar 21st, 2009, 05:46 AM
and there you have it mike.
from the mouth of a 6th grader.
even some of that i didn't know or notice when i went to a higher profile.

i still like my 180/55's though

Sean
Sat Mar 21st, 2009, 07:29 AM
If Scotts a 6th grader, I must still be pooping in diapers when it comes to bike knowledge. :(

Mike, is it for canyon riding, track riding or other? I wonder if it would truely be a benefit to a rider off of the track? Especially at the compromise of stability (commuting) Most of the corners on the street don't seem tight enough for that need. And if they are aggressive corners, it's hard/dangerous to carry enough speed to where it would be beneficial. Just my .02

MikeG
Sat Mar 21st, 2009, 10:36 AM
All around use, mostly canyons and some commuting

MikeG
Sat Mar 21st, 2009, 10:38 AM
i still like my 180/55's though

I like the idea of it, but I wonder if I'd have to make any adjustments with my suspension, and might have to do a test fit first.

Player 2
Sat Mar 21st, 2009, 10:40 AM
Shit man, wanna turn in faster... get an R6 :P

Desmodromico
Sat Mar 21st, 2009, 05:20 PM
You can adjust your suspension a lot more than a tire profile will change things so experiment there first...

Sean
Sat Mar 21st, 2009, 06:14 PM
Shit man, wanna turn in faster... get an R6 :PAwe yeah!!!!!!!!! :hump:
I'll trade ya?