PDA

View Full Version : Friend's Bike won't start - Any Suggestions?

sprtbkbabe
Thu Jan 20th, 2005, 12:15 PM
Here's the scoop:

"My bike has been sitting for about 3 months and I put some fuel stabilizer in it. I tried to start it yesterday and it won't turn over. All the electrical systems seem to work fine and the bike even revive twice then cut out immediately. I'm not sure why it won't start……please help."

I think it's still the battery, but don't know. Any ideas? Anyone? Gracias!

Anonymous
Thu Jan 20th, 2005, 01:48 PM
Battery is a good place to start. What exactly is meant by "revive"? When was the fuel stabilizer added - 3 months ago, or just recently (unclear due to the wording)?

sprtbkbabe
Thu Jan 20th, 2005, 02:09 PM
Oh I think he meant "rev" it revs up a little then dies.

He put the additive in it 3 months ago when he chose to store it. I still would start at the battery, but it's an '03. :dunno:

Hoopty
Thu Jan 20th, 2005, 03:30 PM
What kind of bike?

Anonymous
Thu Jan 20th, 2005, 03:41 PM
If the battery wasn't on a tender, it doesn't matter how new it is. Check that first. Also make sure (I know this sounds silly, but...) that the wires to the battery are actually screwed down tight. Actually check them with a screwdriver.

COGIXX
Sat Jan 22nd, 2005, 04:26 PM
From personal experience, I have found that Stabil is by far the WORST crap you could possibly put in your motorcycle, period!

My very first sportbike, back years ago, I used Stabil, a battery tender, and drained the fuel bowls, for winter storage in a temperature controlled garage... In the spring, when I got the bike out cleaned it again, and got it ready fire up, the bike would not start at all. It took about 45 mins worth of "push starting" to get it going, and once started it ran like crap until I drained all the fuel, and put fresh in...

The following winter I filled the tank, put it up on a swing arm stand and simply went to the garage once a month and fired the bike up to let it idle for about 10 mins... Never, ever had a problem with it after that...

Every single bike I have owned since then, I have follewd the same ritual durring the winter months, and I have had ZERO problems... This process was also while I lived in Vermont... Since my relocation to Colorado, there isn't too many weeks that pass where I'm not actually out riding... As long as the road is dry, it's a good day to ride!

If you are faithfull about starting up the bike at least once a month, then you shouldn't have any issues, I would reccommend however filling the tank with high octane fuel, so condensation doesn't build and create rust. You could even add a 1/4 bottle of a octane boost such as 0-60 (the orange bottle) so the chances of your fuel going stale over the course of 4 months is far less likely... Most delaers use 100+ octane in their new bikes for storage purposes, specifically for that reason.

My opinion, Stabil is absolute Crap!

If you go by the theory: "If the water in the dogs bowl is frozen, then it's too cold to ride... Good thing the dogs bowl is in the kitchen!"

Jackal
Sat Jan 22nd, 2005, 11:56 PM
If you think it is the battery, hook it up to a car (without the car running or it will melt your harness) and try to start..

However, a bike should run and even idle without a battery (once warmed up - might be tricky with a cold engine). If the battery had enough power for the ignition to start it, I doubt that is it.

Also, bad gas is possible. Drain and try fresh gas.

Is the bike carberated? I've never had an FI bike but from what I hear its pretty much impossible to clean if gas gums up in it - you have to start replacing parts. If it is carberated, you can simply take the float bowls off, take the jets out and clear them with carb cleaner. Pretty simple procedure really.

Anonymous
Sun Jan 23rd, 2005, 01:53 AM
However, a bike should run and even idle without a battery (once warmed up - might be tricky with a cold engine). If the battery had enough power for the ignition to start it, I doubt that is it.

Mmm, kinda. FI bikes have a significantly higher drain on the electrical system, and it's entirely possible to run the ECU and pump for the fuel, trigger the injectors, and not have enough left for a good spark at the coils. Also, bikes actually go into a slow discharge condition at idle - though depending on what is wrong, revving it might not help either. Bottom line, start with the basics, cause it's usually something simple.

Is the bike carberated? I've never had an FI bike but from what I hear its pretty much impossible to clean if gas gums up in it - you have to start replacing parts. If it is carberated, you can simply take the float bowls off, take the jets out and clear them with carb cleaner. Pretty simple procedure really.

You can clean injectors. Still no idea what bike is in question here, but on my GSXR the injectors just unbolt in the rail below the airbox. From there you can try solvent or ultrasonic cleaning. The only other thing to plug is the delivery line from the tank - if that is gummed up, you probably have gelatin in the tank. :lol: There is very little (if anything) on a bike that actually has to be replaced because it's dirty, vs just cleaning it properly.