PDA

View Full Version : Valve adjustment - who's recommended?

bennice
Sat Mar 21st, 2009, 09:03 PM
One of my bikes is in need of valve adjustment and a general tune up. I just bought this bike semi-recently with around 19K on the odo, and I'm pretty sure the previous owner didn't do the 15K service.

I had the same bike before and took it to Faster for most of the major stuff. They did a pretty good job, but I wanted to check around to see who else is recommended, and what they charge (ballpark).

Looks like TFOG comes pretty highly recommended around here. Anybody care to share about what they paid for valve adjustment?

bennice
Wed Mar 25th, 2009, 01:10 PM
Anyone? Anyone?

Surely not everyone here does their own valve adjustments..? :)

McVaaahhh
Wed Mar 25th, 2009, 01:11 PM
What bike?

But yeah, Jim does top notch work and you certainly can't go wrong at TFOG! :up:

bennice
Wed Mar 25th, 2009, 01:15 PM
The bike in question is an '03 ZX6RR. Also needs an APE manual CCT installed. These stockers are noisy ass SOB's.

McVaaahhh
Wed Mar 25th, 2009, 01:32 PM
The bike in question is an '03 ZX6RR. Also needs an APE manual CCT installed. These stockers are noisy ass SOB's.

Yeah, definitely call Jim.

Not sure on the kawi, but the manual CCT's aren't that hard to install on Honda's. Probably could do it yourself.

dm_gsxr
Wed Mar 25th, 2009, 02:02 PM
It might also depend on where you're located. I just dropped my 'busa off at Epic up in Longmont. It's a few miles from where I work so location is key :)

Carl

salsashark
Wed Mar 25th, 2009, 02:03 PM
Also, you could try Supertune (http://www.supertunemotorsports.com)... Mike knows his stuff.

bennice
Wed Mar 25th, 2009, 02:25 PM
Yeah, definitely call Jim.

Not sure on the kawi, but the manual CCT's aren't that hard to install on Honda's. Probably could do it yourself.

TFOG is at the top of my list to call for sure. Way too many good references to ignore.

The CCT isn't technically tough to deal with, but is a royal PITA since it's so close to the frame. Fitting a wrench in there and finding a way to turn it is the worst part of the job. I figure if somebody is already in there working on the valve adjustment it's easiest to have them do the honors. However, if much more time passes before the valve job is done then I may just bite the bullet and do it myself.

bennice
Wed Mar 25th, 2009, 02:33 PM
How are Epic and Supertune's prices? Any shop in the metro area is fair game. This isn't my main bike so I don't mind dropping her off and being without for awhile while the work is being done. As long as I can ride the bike away once the work is done without fear of missing fairing clips and bolts and the job is done well and for a good price, I'm good to hook.

salsashark
Wed Mar 25th, 2009, 02:39 PM
Not really sure about Supertune, I've never had anything other than suspension setups and tires done there, but give Mike a call and tell him what you need. He'll let you know.

dm_gsxr
Wed Mar 25th, 2009, 03:19 PM
I'm getting several things done.

Valve check (swapping shims for sure)
Throttle sync
Head gasket eval/replacement.
Steering head bearings eval/replacement.
Power Commander III
Yosh full pipes (on sale this month).

Total is $1,800 estimated and assuming the head gasket needs to be replaced.

Price wise, Performance Cycle beats their tire prices, but the combination of mounting, price and location put it under Performance Cycle and having to get it mounted somewhere.

Call Kevin and check though. That's the best way to find out.

Carl

MrMorb
Wed Mar 25th, 2009, 03:33 PM
Not really sure about Supertune, I've never had anything other than suspension setups and tires done there, but give Mike a call and tell him what you need. He'll let you know.

I had the 6k on my Duc done there. The rockers were not looking great, so they went off to Megacycles to be reworked. Its was a pretty extensive job that did take awhile, but Mike did a great job.

The price was what got me to go with Supertune in the first place. Mike was very competitive, and worked with me to get it where it needed to be.

+1 for Supertunes

Bueller
Wed Mar 25th, 2009, 04:14 PM
EPIC or TFOG call for prices, doesn't cost to ask. You won't get accurate estimates if you don't talk to them personaly. They are both great guys and won't bite, much.

bennice
Wed Mar 25th, 2009, 04:30 PM
OK, I've got TFOG, Epic and Supertune on the list to call. Anybody else?

Thanks for all the recommendations!

motaboy
Thu Mar 26th, 2009, 07:27 AM
Talk to Marv @ Rocky Mountain Kawasaki in Longmont (303) 651-2453. He just did my valves on my '05 ZX-10R and did a great job.

honda919
Sat Apr 11th, 2009, 09:31 PM
have fun with it! Get a repair manual and tear it apart and do it yourself. Pretty easy! just remember were bolts go

bennice
Tue Apr 14th, 2009, 09:52 PM
have fun with it! Get a repair manual and tear it apart and do it yourself. Pretty easy! just remember were bolts go

I have service manuals for all my bikes, and do most of the minor stuff myself. But I don't have the tools or patience, or confidence to do a valve adjustment the right way. I'd rather spend a few hundred $$$ and have peace of mind than to make a big expensive mess.