PDA

View Full Version : 2 Riders Down Today Hwy 24.

KennyFish
Sun Mar 22nd, 2009, 05:27 PM
We were in a big ass group heading up hwy 24 towards woodland park, my friends buddy lowsided his zx6r and went down slid off the road into the rocks, as he was crossing the right lane his friend on his r6, hit his bike and and was thrown about 15 feet into the rocks, I freaked skidded to a stop and ran to their aid, r6 guy broke wrist and thumb and kawi guy had a bumped elbow, zx6r was in bad shape, r6 had a crash cage so it was some dents and scrapes rideable.

Everyone please be careful, my heart sank to my asshole and I braced for the worst thank god everyone was able to walk away.

--kenny

KennyFish
Sun Mar 22nd, 2009, 05:32 PM
I have never been so scared in my life, I have never ridden and had anyone go down. Ive been down but I was more scared watching it unfold then when I went down.

Zach929rr
Sun Mar 22nd, 2009, 05:36 PM
Jesus tapdancing christ. Take it fucking easy out there before you and your friends off yourselfs.

KennyFish
Sun Mar 22nd, 2009, 05:41 PM
Oh trust me I was taking it easy, they were probably going a little to fast.

Zach929rr
Sun Mar 22nd, 2009, 05:44 PM
Good to hear everybody is ok relatively speaking. You should have a harsh word with them concerning their riding, although I'm sure they will take it easy after the wreck.

Probably going too fastYeah, I would say so. That, and the lowsider sounded like he doesn't know what he's doing.

KennyFish
Sun Mar 22nd, 2009, 05:46 PM
Yea if I would have been hauling ass with them I would have ended up down I was just out for a sunday cruise not to try and get up the past first.

lightspeed
Sun Mar 22nd, 2009, 05:53 PM
Nice to hear the guys riding the bikes survived and will ride again hopefully. From my experience riding.. most of the time speed is only part of the issue..the other part is usually lack of skill...riding above ones level..etc. One of our guys who rides SLOWWWWWWW low sided his new R6. After the low side, we found out that he hadn't even had the MSF course.....

Be safe out there mayne.

KennyFish
Sun Mar 22nd, 2009, 05:57 PM
Yea they are my buddies friends first time I rode with them, Im not sure of their experience but I know my limits and for the most part just cruise and enjoy the scenery.

Tipys
Sun Mar 22nd, 2009, 07:00 PM
Kenny what are there names I know a few that ride bikes like that.

KennyFish
Sun Mar 22nd, 2009, 07:01 PM
I only know the one guy goes by the name of easy

Tipys
Sun Mar 22nd, 2009, 07:09 PM
Ok not sure if I know them or not gonna start blowing up some cell phones

KennyFish
Sun Mar 22nd, 2009, 07:17 PM
Yea I only met them today they are friends of a friend. I just happened to go riding with them.

YZFRydn
Sun Mar 22nd, 2009, 07:34 PM
Nice to hear the guys riding the bikes survived and will ride again hopefully. From my experience riding.. most of the time speed is only part of the issue..the other part is usually lack of skill...riding above ones level..etc. One of our guys who rides SLOWWWWWWW low sided his new R6. After the low side, we found out that he hadn't even had the MSF course.....

Be safe out there mayne.

Agreed

R6biker122
Sun Mar 22nd, 2009, 07:51 PM
whoever doesn't take the MSF course is stupid in the fact they're risking their life.

Tipys
Sun Mar 22nd, 2009, 07:55 PM
No one I know. And R6biker I have never taken an MFS course am I stupid well no I do know that I am risking my life by not taking well not anymore then I would if i had taken it.

Bueller
Sun Mar 22nd, 2009, 08:10 PM
whoever doesn't take the MSF course is stupid in the fact they're risking their life.
WTF is that supposed to mean?

Zach929rr
Sun Mar 22nd, 2009, 08:12 PM
I do believe the point the gentleman is trying to make is that BRC/ERC could teach new and old a thing or two.

R6biker122
Sun Mar 22nd, 2009, 08:22 PM
I do believe the point the gentleman is trying to make is that BRC/ERC could teach new and old a thing or two.

yes, i mean im sure someone could be okay by not taking the MSF course. But i know the course has saved me in some situations. It can help brush up on some skills and potentially save a life. I would definitely recommend it. :yay:

Bueller
Sun Mar 22nd, 2009, 08:34 PM
What did it teach you about falling down?

KennyFish
Sun Mar 22nd, 2009, 08:37 PM
Ive ridden since I was 4 but its always a good reminder to know your limits and your bikes limits and not to push it, MOST importantly it showed what wearing PROPER gear does for you in a crash.

Tipys
Sun Mar 22nd, 2009, 08:50 PM
This and going to MRA races will show you how wearing proper gear will save your ass

http://americansuperbike.com/2008/Oct/091016arai.htm

KennyFish
Sun Mar 22nd, 2009, 08:57 PM
I dont go out with out proper gear, well I should say I dont always wear a jacket but always gloves helmet and jeans are always, I will never ride in shorts or without a helmet and gloves. I think after seeing today Im not leaving the house without my jacket.

sergio
Sun Mar 22nd, 2009, 09:01 PM
That sucks, luckily only minor injuries occured. MSF course is definitely useful however when it comes down to it, the safest route is to not ride above your skill level. Unfortunately gravel and unexpected turns can catch any of us off guard. Even today when we all went riding, I wasnt expecting a turn and entered it way to fast. There was a bit of gravel there. Ofcourse I lost the rear tire and began to fishtail. Could have turned into a high side. Luckily I have been riding for a few years and have encountered gravel in many turns so was able to save it. Ride safe, hopefully the kawi guy has insurance to cover that or enough dough to fix it back up.

lightspeed
Sun Mar 22nd, 2009, 09:26 PM

Absolutely...even seasoned riders can benefit from taking the class. Of course it don't teach you how to dive from the bike and miss flying into that guard rail. However it does teach you how to turn, how to brake, when to break, when and why to use the rear brake instead of the front one in certain situations, throttle control, clutch control, a little mechanics behind how the bike moves, where to ride in the road and why...etc.

It's an excellent begin. course and in large part I relate taking (and paying attention in) that course and learning as much as I could about how the motorcycle works to not having gone down to this day.

When I see dudes riding in the center of the road:wtf: where all the oil from cages collect..I know 1 they most likely haven't taken any class on biking, and 2. they most likely wont make it thru the year w/out getting tore up.

R6biker122
Sun Mar 22nd, 2009, 09:42 PM
What did it teach you about falling down?

read last comment..

d3spair
Sun Mar 22nd, 2009, 10:36 PM
We were the guys on white/blue gixxer and two green kawasaki's that came past right after it must have happened. I was going to stop but was moving pretty fast and there was fn gravel all over the road from the accident so didn't want to hit the brakes at all! Figured with that many guys we would have just been in the way anyways, looked nasty though so I'm glad everyone walked away!!

KennyFish
Sun Mar 22nd, 2009, 10:45 PM
Yea I saw you guys as I jumped off my bike to run over and start helping get the mess cleaned up.

thatmofo
Sun Mar 22nd, 2009, 11:17 PM
Man that sucks. When we approached you guys, I saw three guys, so I figured one probably went down so there are two to help out. It didn't even hit me that maybe two of you went down. I'm just glad to hear that things didn't turn out worse than they did.

KennyFish
Sun Mar 22nd, 2009, 11:20 PM
Yea we had two guys down I was on the red r6 that was parked behind the mayhem.

Brat
Mon Mar 23rd, 2009, 12:45 AM
damn this is happenin all too often.....

Wintermute
Mon Mar 23rd, 2009, 01:08 AM
Was the gravel spread by the wreck or the cause of the wreck?

Looked like it was getting good out there, but there's supposed to be snow down here tomorrow, so that means there'll be another million tons of gravel spread in the mountains.

Hopefully we'll get some gully-washer thunderstorms after it gets permanent warm, and that'll wash all the gravel where it belongs--choking storm sewers and small mountain streams. (But what you gonna do? What else works like it does?)

modette99
Mon Mar 23rd, 2009, 10:20 AM

KennyFish
Mon Mar 23rd, 2009, 12:27 PM
THe sand didnt cause the accident, it got spread out when both bikes went through it.

Hi11Zone
Mon Mar 23rd, 2009, 02:16 PM
Sry we didn't stop all 3 of us passed u guys. WE only thought one rider wen't down. Glad you guys are ok. Threw out deckers and horse powerhill we were pushing it and i slid like 3x. Careful out their guys!

aLiEn
Mon Mar 23rd, 2009, 02:33 PM
Glad everyone is ok, I was coming down the pass and as the second CSP car rolled up.

Hi11Zone
Mon Mar 23rd, 2009, 02:40 PM
This and going to MRA races will show you how wearing proper gear will save your ass

http://americansuperbike.com/2008/Oct/091016arai.htm

i Might be wearing the wrong size helmet when i got it..it was snug ..but after washing it and wearing a mask during cold weather. Its a bit loose.
I might have to buy a new one...crap

= Buckeye Jess =
Mon Mar 23rd, 2009, 02:45 PM
i Might be wearing the wrong size helmet when i got it..it was snug ..but after washing it and wearing a mask during cold weather. Its a bit loose.
I might have to buy a new one...crap
What helmet do you wear? In a lot of helmets you can change the padding sizes to adjust the fit. I have to get smaller cheekpads for my Shoei, and it is a perfect fit once I do that.

Hi11Zone
Mon Mar 23rd, 2009, 03:13 PM
http://www.kneedraggers.com/details/Zox_Tavani_R_Full_Face_Helmet_Ripper_2_Green--625462.html is my helmet. I wear a size medium and i have had it 2 years. So i guess it might be time to get a new one.

= Buckeye Jess =
Mon Mar 23rd, 2009, 03:18 PM
Ah.. I don't know the first thing about Zox, so I can't help you there. But I thought that a helmet was good for like 5 years, not 2???? Uncrashed that is.. lol

Hi11Zone
Mon Mar 23rd, 2009, 03:19 PM
Im told most people change them every 1 to 2 seasons. They grow out as u wear them. The wind noise at high speeds just drive me crazy now.

Wintermute
Mon Mar 23rd, 2009, 04:21 PM
My two cents on helmets--spend some money and get something decent like a Shark. Your head is worth it. What's the old saying? "Don't be the richest guy in the graveyard"?

I wear a Shark RSi, light as hell, incredibly quiet, D.O.T. and ECE 22-05 standards (No stupid Snell, not that I want to open that can of worms). Shark has taken a page from auto safety design and designs their helmets to "crumple zone" on that first big hit, transmitting less Gs to your brain than Snell helmets.

The shape is really, really comfortable at speed, important to me since I ride a naked:
http://assets1.revzilla.com/product_images/0002/3542/Shark_RSI_Fusion_Helmet_Silver_zoom.jpg?1235105682

$350 at Kneedraggers, on sale for $199 at Revzilla (http://www.revzilla.com/product/shark-rsi-fusion-helmet).

Crumple zones: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v706/wacky_woodchuck/Shark%20RSR2/P9060507.jpg

Hi11Zone
Mon Mar 23rd, 2009, 04:39 PM
seems liek a nice helmet

BadAssR1
Mon Mar 23rd, 2009, 04:42 PM
LoL at shark.. Spend the money and Buy and Aria or Shoei

Bueller
Mon Mar 23rd, 2009, 04:45 PM
Lol @ Ass1

McVaaahhh
Mon Mar 23rd, 2009, 04:50 PM
This should get entertaining....

http://www.kitchencontraptions.com/pictures/41XWG1E2FJL._AA280_.jpg

64BonnieLass
Mon Mar 23rd, 2009, 04:53 PM
Gosh Brian, that's your second batch today. :lol:

McVaaahhh
Mon Mar 23rd, 2009, 04:54 PM
Gosh Brian, that's your second batch today. :lol:

:yumyum:

Wintermute
Mon Mar 23rd, 2009, 05:13 PM
Heh. Nice try BA1. I got nothin' against Shoeis or Arais. I just like Shark's technical direction over the Snell helmets.

You got any info that Sharks are inferior? Share man, I haven't heard it.

Player 2
Mon Mar 23rd, 2009, 05:33 PM
Share man, I haven't heard it.

probably just likes dumping an extra $5-700 for a kewler paint job :lol:

Gramps
Mon Mar 23rd, 2009, 06:37 PM
Oh c'mon player everyone knows suomy has the best paint:)

Player 2
Mon Mar 23rd, 2009, 06:39 PM
Yours is kinda pretty Tom :D

Gramps
Mon Mar 23rd, 2009, 06:47 PM
NO Princess.

My helmet is sweet baby!

I'm just staying in touch with my softer side sweetie:)

Tipys
Mon Mar 23rd, 2009, 09:01 PM
Hey but none of you guys are rockin a tiara

BadAssR1
Mon Mar 23rd, 2009, 09:22 PM
Well in all my time stunting riding I had the mis fortune of seeing some people Die/Hurt. Last year watched a kid loop a wheelie (wearing a shark) and when we all got to him the helment was split in half and no longer on his head and he was dead. So in my mind Im out on them. Guy riding with us in the canyons low sided and went into a posted/steel after hitting an oncoming car and had a few broken bones but the helment looked great.. A little smushed but still all there. Dood riding with us wearing an Icon looped a stoppie and smacked the pavement at no more than 15mph and the helment was all fucked up and his head was bleeding. As for the Shoei years ago I was riding with some dood who didnt ride much and went to pass a car on the right and some how happend to end up in the back of a semi. Dood lived with minor bruising.. SO from what I have seen I got my two choices.. You get what you pay for in my mind. Been riding street bikes for 12 years and dirt 16.

Hi11Zone
Mon Mar 23rd, 2009, 09:44 PM
sounds ruff, i think ill be buying the scorpion helmets.. and fyi Mysapce is gay........... honestly

d3spair
Mon Mar 23rd, 2009, 10:41 PM
Last year watched a kid loop a wheelie (wearing a shark) and when we all got to him the helment was split in half and no longer on his head and he was dead.

End of that debate.. jesus fuck.

KennyFish
Mon Mar 23rd, 2009, 10:49 PM
It seems to me that AssR1 just comes into threads to start shit.

Wintermute
Mon Mar 23rd, 2009, 11:42 PM
Nah, it's cool, Ken. Everybody should be able to mix it up without feelings getting hurt permanently.

BAR1, how fast was the guy who looped going? Stand-up wheelie? Must have been going pretty fast to split a ECE 22-05-approved Carbon/Aramid fiber weave. Sadly, sometimes no helmet can save you.

Just out of curosity, I googled "shark helmet split" and this page was the only one with all those terms (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/archive/index.php/t-30920.html). The "mr me" guy about a third way down says "[snip] I had an RSF 2 and crashed in it. I went straight over the bars and landed on my head, causing two cracks in it about 4 inches long, each one from where I hit the curb. Had no head injuries, so I swear by these helmets now. I hit the ground hard enough to break my back, looking at my helmet you would think I did end up with head injuries. Now that I'm back on a bike I've gone and brought a RSV. I RECOMMEND THEM."

I think many American riders think that Shark is a new, unproven brand since they haven't been sold here for very long. In fact, they've been around since 1929. They know their shit for a bunch of Frogs.

But anyway, it's pretty hard to go wrong with any certified modern helmet, even the cheap ones are vastly better than the best ones we were rocking in the 80s. A cheap helmet that fits properly is probably better than an expensive one that fits like shit and shifts in a crash.

Peace.

BadAssR1
Tue Mar 24th, 2009, 08:12 AM
The dood that looped was sitting down and wasnt really a wheelie lol. Kinda ripped some throttle and over he went..probably around 50-60 ish.
And I agree that no helment will work propperly if not fitted correctly.

KennyFish
Tue Mar 24th, 2009, 12:04 PM
Im quiet happy with when I got my helmet, I had a really good salesperson that helped me I had been riding in xl helmets for a few years went in to get a new one, and the guy saw me trying helmets came over and talked to me for a bit, realizing Ive been riding with the wrong helmet all along, ended up moving to a large, helmet fits very snug, don't get any wind or noise in the helmet and it doesnt bobble around on bumps and things.

matt2778
Tue Mar 24th, 2009, 10:24 PM
LoL at shark.. Spend the money and Buy and Aria or Shoei

I agree Shoei is a very nice helmet

aLiEn
Sat Mar 28th, 2009, 08:24 AM
Speaking of helmets, got this pimp setup this week:

Nick_Ninja
Sat Mar 28th, 2009, 09:25 AM
Speaking of helmets, got this pimp setup this week:

Very insect like :up: