PDA

View Full Version : 1,000 miles/24 hours/date not set

swademaster
Thu Jan 20th, 2005, 03:22 PM
Anybody interested? I've been wanting to do this for some time now. I have the route planned out already. Thinking about doing this the beginning of May.

Anonymous
Thu Jan 20th, 2005, 03:27 PM
Doing the Iron Butt eh?

Mista Black
Thu Jan 20th, 2005, 03:43 PM
a few pointers if you're going for the iron butt stuff.

1. protect your documents like they are you kids. i've heard of too many people losing some papers and not getting the cert from Kneebone.

2. the key is not stopping. make your stops quick and effencient. i dont even take off my helmet to use the bathroom when i've been documenting it for the IBA. flip up face helmets are nice for gas stops; eating and drinking are easy.

3. the 1500 in a day is insane. i've done one and it sucked the big one (though i did get the pin and license plate frame, i'm not sure it was worth it). i'll never do another one.

keep your pace you a 1000 mile day is very easy to hammer out. the stops are what kill you.

AND if you do it on a saturday i'll run it with you.

swademaster
Thu Jan 20th, 2005, 03:47 PM
I wasn't really thinking about doing it for a cert or anything like that. Just going to do it because I want to. But since it has been suggested I may. Where can I get some info for the Iron Butt stuff?

Mista Black
Thu Jan 20th, 2005, 03:51 PM
Clicky (http://www.ironbutt.com/about/default.cfm)

Nick_Ninja
Thu Jan 20th, 2005, 03:52 PM
I wasn't really thinking about doing it for a cert or anything like that. Just going to do it because I want to. But since it has been suggested I may. Where can I get some info for the Iron Butt stuff?

http://www.ironbutt.com/about/default.cfm

Mista Black
Thu Jan 20th, 2005, 03:54 PM
i was wondering when you'd chime in :D

swademaster
Thu Jan 20th, 2005, 04:27 PM
I was waiting too.

friscokidd
Thu Jan 20th, 2005, 04:52 PM
if your do it on a weekend, i may be interested. Not in the iron butt thing, but a 1000 miles a day thing is cool :D

Dysco
Thu Jan 20th, 2005, 06:17 PM
Someday I'm gonna do it on my TeeT'R :D

Stuart Little
Thu Jan 20th, 2005, 08:50 PM
I may be down, finally something the cruiser is good for

Hawke
Thu Jan 20th, 2005, 09:13 PM
I definately want to do this!!1 Would even look into the cert.

swademaster
Thu Jan 20th, 2005, 09:57 PM
I will probably do it for the Iron Butt Cert. That way I will have something to show that I did it.

Mista Black
Fri Jan 21st, 2005, 03:02 AM
oh yeah lots of people who dont ride see the license plate frame and are like "you really did 1500 miles in a day?? is that even possible??" :lol: lots of people spot em and it's good props for ya without even braggin :D

Sparker
Fri Jan 21st, 2005, 07:52 AM
im planning to ride to vegas in a day. thats about 800...maybe make a 200 mile loop somewhere.

Hozerking
Fri Jan 21st, 2005, 09:16 AM
take the back way through UTAH! the scenery is alone worth it! 2cents! :)

-al

im planning to ride to vegas in a day. thats about 800...maybe make a 200 mile loop somewhere.

Stuart Little
Fri Jan 21st, 2005, 10:26 AM
I'm thinkin of centerville, SD population around 800 but my entire family lived there less than 50 years ago, some still do.

But i'm still down for this planned one already, just have to submit it if I remember the rules correctly or can we just do it and they verify through 3rd party sources.

swademaster
Fri Jan 21st, 2005, 02:07 PM
I'm planning on going to Nebraska. It is right at 430 miles one way to my parents' house. Stop by there for lunch. Just gotta find 140 miles more, no problem. It's not to far off I-80. Would be mostly all interstate riding, and the roads aren't too bad. I will do some more looking for the extra miles and let everybody know the exact route sometime today or tomorrow.

swademaster
Fri Jan 21st, 2005, 03:24 PM
Got the extra miles. Here's the route: my house to Wahoo, NE (through Lincoln) 506.25 miles, Wahoo to my parents' house in Clarks, NE ( middle of nowhere) 68.08 miles, Clarks, NE to my house 432.42 miles. A total of 1006.75 miles. These mileages are from http://www.mapquest.com.

Frauenheld
Fri Jan 21st, 2005, 03:32 PM
i'm probably in
keep me posted

Mista Black
Fri Jan 21st, 2005, 03:36 PM
when you do it, do a little extra in miles (everyone). the IBA goes by their maps and things not yours or your odometer. so if there stuff says it's only 999 you get no cert.

Stuart Little
Fri Jan 21st, 2005, 03:39 PM
Now we just need a day, when are you thinking? A Clear weekend coming up? Better get the mileage from a gas station close to your house for the Iron Butt Cert.

Right now I only have obligations M,W but that can change suddenly if I get a job here, so quickly, lets go for it.

swademaster
Fri Jan 21st, 2005, 04:21 PM
when you do it, do a little extra in miles (everyone). the IBA goes by their maps and things not yours or your odometer. so if there stuff says it's only 999 you get no cert.

Yep, saw that on their page. Planning to get a speedo healer before this trip. Will probably get a few miles extra around home. There are some quiet blacktop roads that are good for some 160mph blasts.

Now we just need a day, when are you thinking? A Clear weekend coming up? Better get the mileage from a gas station close to your house for the Iron Butt Cert.

Right now I only have obligations M,W but that can change suddenly if I get a job here, so quickly, lets go for it.

Will be on a Saturday. Was thinking at the end of April or beginning of May. I am open to dates if anybody has suggestions.

Gonna get my Corin seat and a throttle lock before then too.

Stuart Little
Fri Jan 21st, 2005, 05:39 PM
got the throttle lock, hehe 160mph that's funny, better get a new bike first :)

Mista Black
Fri Jan 21st, 2005, 10:46 PM
i did a 1000 mile day once in about 13 hours 14 minutes (if i recall correctly) but i think i did violate the speed limit 1 time (soon after i started & went back below it right before i finished :D ). about 450 was interstate the rest was twisties... it was a good day to ride.

swademaster
Fri Jan 21st, 2005, 11:01 PM
The TL will do 160mph easy, been there more than once. The lower elavation makes a difference. You sure that Virago won't do it? :spit:

CAMit...
Fri Jan 21st, 2005, 11:03 PM
Did a little over 1100 miles in 16 hours when my grand mother died in a car accident back in 2000 and I had to make haste to San Diego to help my dad out...rode my Honda Nighthawk...talk about a sore arse...

towneh
Sun Jan 23rd, 2005, 11:06 PM
my 2 cents.....

1. you shouldn't have to speed but you've got to be consistent.

2. map and verify your fuel/relief stops a conservative distance apart
(my average spread has been 170 miles)

3. record keeping is essential (see iba site for requirements and tips)

4. make your stops systematic with everything being done the same way every stop (every fuel stop with alternating bathroom relief and snack/drink intake) see the iba site for more tips ......

honestly, 1500/24 isn't that bad..... but then again, i haven't done my back-to-back 1500s yet either. long-dist endurance can be addicting!

cheers,
hayabusa henry ;) :D

swademaster
Mon Jan 24th, 2005, 03:08 PM
Thanks for the tips Henry. I'm now thinking about the 1,500/36 hours while I'm at it.

towneh
Mon Jan 24th, 2005, 04:02 PM
a note aside.... i did my first 1k to lincoln, nebraska and back. i went there to fit some high performance lighting (Saeng/TA).

i believe your first documented ride must be a 1k or some sanction ride like the 1088 or such; again the iba site offers a wealth of insight on this stuff. i've got the mapping software and an interstate service center computer to plan your trip.

let me or one of the other local iba members do the witness thing.
--may the force be with you--
hayabusa henry

Mista Black
Mon Jan 24th, 2005, 08:48 PM
i know that bozeman, montana and back is 1505. when me and my dad did out 1500 that was our turn around. we got gas and turned back. it was a nice town... all 5 minutes we were there.

as for witnesses i like cops. they are easy here in the springs (since military cops work, too). the gates to the AF Academy are right off the interstate.

GSL
Tue Feb 22nd, 2005, 05:36 PM
swademaster,

You plannin on doing this ride on a weekend? If so, I'd ride up to Denver to witness the start and finish, if ya need someone to sign your paperwork. Might even tag along for awhile if that's ok.

Cheers,
Will

Hoopty
Wed Feb 23rd, 2005, 08:24 AM
1000 miles in a day is for pussies. :lol:

swademaster
Wed Feb 23rd, 2005, 02:51 PM
swademaster,

You plannin on doing this ride on a weekend? If so, I'd ride up to Denver to witness the start and finish, if ya need someone to sign your paperwork. Might even tag along for awhile if that's ok.

Cheers,
Will

Yep, it will be on a weekend. You would be more than welcome to tag along as far as you want, as is anybody else that wants to. The days that I am looking to do this are either Saturday, April 30th or Saturday, May 7th. I have also been considering the idea of doing the 1,500/ 36 hour ride.

GSL
Fri Feb 25th, 2005, 05:11 AM
1000 miles in a day is for pussies. :lol:

:lol: As I recall, YOU were looking for a Walmart to buy a new seat pad once we got to Deal's Gap (after riding straight there)... :D

Hoopty
Fri Feb 25th, 2005, 08:43 AM
I plead the 5th. :lol:

I blame it on the jeans. :idea: ;)

sfarson
Sat Feb 26th, 2005, 12:43 AM
Someone I've ridden with before just pulled off a 1000 mile journey in 24 hours (XX Blackbird). He did it going to SW Colorado and riding over nine passes, including several packed with snow :shock:.

His brief report is here:
http://www.sport-touring.net/cgi-bin/msgboard/ikonboard.cgi?s=7bcf2fd07b692d8d58262a967155527f;a ct=ST;f=29;t=28129

Dysco
Sat Feb 26th, 2005, 04:39 AM
Better than the 1000 mile out and back is the Utah 1088 Rally. I've never felt more challenged on a bike mentally and physically.

GSL
Sat Mar 12th, 2005, 04:05 PM
Yep, it will be on a weekend. You would be more than welcome to tag along as far as you want, as is anybody else that wants to. The days that I am looking to do this are either Saturday, April 30th or Saturday, May 7th. I have also been considering the idea of doing the 1,500/ 36 hour ride.

Those weekends sound good to me. Hey, have you picked out a final route yet? Or an approximate destination for a turnaround point?

I'm working on my Nat Park Ironbutt ride and still need to bag a few states. :)

Chris
Sun Mar 13th, 2005, 04:01 PM
i would be in for somthing like this if i had a bike i would be comfertable on for that long.

swademaster
Sun Mar 13th, 2005, 07:21 PM
Those weekends sound good to me. Hey, have you picked out a final route yet? Or an approximate destination for a turnaround point?

I'm working on my Nat Park Ironbutt ride and still need to bag a few states. :)

Got the extra miles. Here's the route: my house to Wahoo, NE (through Lincoln) 506.25 miles, Wahoo to my parents' house in Clarks, NE ( middle of nowhere) 68.08 miles, Clarks, NE to my house 432.42 miles. A total of 1006.75 miles. These mileages are from http://www.mapquest.com.

GSL
Mon Mar 14th, 2005, 07:57 PM
Got the extra miles. Here's the route: my house to Wahoo, NE (through Lincoln) 506.25 miles, Wahoo to my parents' house in Clarks, NE ( middle of nowhere) 68.08 miles, Clarks, NE to my house 432.42 miles. A total of 1006.75 miles. These mileages are from http://www.mapquest.com.[/quote]

Microsoft Streets & Trips lists that route as 1015.4. Good to go! 8) The IBA will use the actual street address of the starting gas station as the official starting pont (assuming you're still gonna get certified). So, FWIW, don't measure from your home address. They don't really care where you live, just where you got your start receipt.

So, you've decided on the 1000/24 instead of the 1500/36. IMHO, good choice. The 1500 in 36 is actually just as easy from a "ride" standpoint, but the logistics of metering your sleeping habits can get kinda dicey.

I'll try to work out a route that fits with your's so I can tag along for a good part of the ride. I'm looking for an official receipt location in Council Bluffs, IA....

Cheers,
Will

swademaster
Tue Mar 15th, 2005, 02:14 PM
I'm open for suggestions if you want to ride along. My route isn't set in stone and could be changed. We could make a run into Counciltuky, not too much futher.

I will probably try to meet up with my Dad and Uncle near Grand Island, NE and then my brother in Omaha.

Let me know what you want to do. As long as I get the engine back from TK and the bike running good by the first part of April I will be ready to go.

swademaster
Thu Mar 17th, 2005, 03:22 PM
New route for the 1500/36 ride:

Day One
From the BP by my house to I80/I29 in Council Bluffs, IA 532.90 miles
To I29/I90 in Souix Falls, SD 185.59 miles
To Pickstown, SD 144.54 miles
To Clarks, NE 177.34 miles
End day one in Clarks for free food and sleep with a total of 1040.37 miles.

Day Two
Clarks, NE to St. Paul, NE 34.37 miles
To I80/I25 in Cheyenne, WY 385.90 miles
To the BP by my house 90.36 miles
End day two with a total of 510.63 miles for the day and 1551 miles for the trip.

GSL
Thu Mar 17th, 2005, 05:09 PM
New route for the 1500/36 ride:

Day One
From the BP by my house to I80/I29 in Council Bluffs, IA 532.90 miles
To I29/I90 in Souix Falls, SD 185.59 miles
To Pickstown, SD 144.54 miles
To Clarks, NE 177.34 miles
End day one in Clarks for free food and sleep with a total of 1040.37 miles.

Day Two
Clarks, NE to St. Paul, NE 34.37 miles
To I80/I25 in Cheyenne, WY 385.90 miles
To the BP by my house 90.36 miles
End day two with a total of 510.63 miles for the day and 1551 miles for the trip.

Looks good to me! 8) Dang, I wasn't going to try for the 1500/36 on this ride but now you got me wondering... :idea: I may try to work out a loop that has 95% of the same general route with a minor variation here or there. Will get back to ya shortly.

Cheers!

GSL
Thu Mar 17th, 2005, 05:49 PM
Something else to consider...

To "prove" your route, you need a computer generated receipt (gas pump, atm, etc.) at every major turning point of the route. I wonder if Pickston has such a thing or if it is just a dot on the map. If Clarks does not have one either, we may want to make sure to come down thru Norfolk or Columbus, NE, to get a receipt before stopping in Clarks.

Didn't you want to visit your parents in Wahoo?

Another option "could" be - Denver to Lusk, WY, to Rapid City, SD, to Sioux Falls then South to Council Bluffs and either Wahoo or Clarks, NE for the night. Shoot straight back to Denver on Sunday and end right at about 1500 miles. We could start from a gas station on the south side of Denver to make sure the total distance is over 1500. Then, basically, the only turning points we would need to document are Rapid City, Sioux Falls and Council Bluffs. If I can swing by Jewel Cave, SD, between Newcastle, WY, and Custer, SD, I'll be able to get my SD National Park Stamp. I don't think we would get to Council Bluffs in time on Saturday for me to get a stamp there, but I'll call and check their hours. Actually, another option for me is Onawa, IA, and the Lewis and Clark State Park visitor center. ;) I gotta call them too.

I should be able to find someone to sign us out on the south side of Denver. I got a friend that lives right next to Chatfield Reservoir. Maybe we could start from the gas station at Kipling and C-470 (or throw another small loop in somewhere along the overall route). It's just gotta be "documentable" (is that a word?). Cheers!

GSL
Thu Mar 17th, 2005, 06:23 PM
Ok, here's a better one...

Day 1 - 1051 miles (Wahoo) or 1118 miles (Clarks)
Northglen to Lusk, WY, Jewel Cave National Park and Rapid City, SD - 407 miles
Rapid City, SD to Pipestone National Monument, MN - 397 miles
Pipestone, MN to Wahoo (247 miles) or Clarks (314 miles)

Day 2 - 505 (Wahoo) or 432 (Clarks)
Interstate back to Denver

Either night stop gives us about 1550 miles and the turning corners are obvious. I'm also partial to this route because I can get both SD and MN checked off. :D

Honestly, I'm game for whatever. It's all good!

swademaster
Thu Mar 17th, 2005, 08:57 PM
Ok, here's a better one...

Day 1 - 1051 miles (Wahoo) or 1118 miles (Clarks)
Northglen to Lusk, WY, Jewel Cave National Park and Rapid City, SD - 407 miles
Rapid City, SD to Pipestone National Monument, MN - 397 miles
Pipestone, MN to Wahoo (247 miles) or Clarks (314 miles)

Day 2 - 505 (Wahoo) or 432 (Clarks)
Interstate back to Denver

Either night stop gives us about 1550 miles and the turning corners are obvious. I'm also partial to this route because I can get both SD and MN checked off. :D

Honestly, I'm game for whatever. It's all good!

Looks good to me. My parents live in Clarks.

Something else to consider...

To "prove" your route, you need a computer generated receipt (gas pump, atm, etc.) at every major turning point of the route. I wonder if Pickston has such a thing or if it is just a dot on the map. If Clarks does not have one either, we may want to make sure to come down thru Norfolk or Columbus, NE, to get a receipt before stopping in Clarks.

Yes, we can get a receipt in Clarks. It may be a little shit hole town, but there is a gas station. :lol:

Another idea would be to make it into Omaha on the first day at 1,000 miles. My brother lives in Omaha so we could stay there. The second day we could go into Council Bluffs before heading back to Denver. That way you could get SD, MN, and IA all in one trip. :applause:

GSL
Fri Mar 18th, 2005, 07:25 AM
Yes, we can get a receipt in Clarks. It may be a little shit hole town, but there is a gas station. :lol:

Another idea would be to make it into Omaha on the first day at 1,000 miles. My brother lives in Omaha so we could stay there. The second day we could go into Council Bluffs before heading back to Denver. That way you could get SD, MN, and IA all in one trip. :applause:

Hmmm... I don't think bagging SD, MN, and IA can be done at the same time as a 1500/36. The hours that their visitor centers are open (8am-5pm) have too much impact to the riding schedule. And I don't want my stamp collecting hobby to control the ride. Remember,,, this is YOUR ride! ;)

Let's smoke on it for a few days. It sounds like generally we have a goal to stop for the night in either Omaha or Clarks (or Wahoo?). That's cool. A good route will eventually shake out. Hell, we might even get on our bikes and ride some day! :lol:

swademaster
Sun Mar 20th, 2005, 01:27 PM
Hmmm... I don't think bagging SD, MN, and IA can be done at the same time as a 1500/36. The hours that their visitor centers are open (8am-5pm)

I think it may be possible. A lot depends on what time in the morning that we would leave. Leaving before sunrise is fine with me. If you can get as many stops that you need in one trip, try to do it. It won't bother me.

You gonna be riding the Falco or the Beemer?

I ordered my throttle lock yesterday and got my Corbin a couple of weeks ago. Just gotta get the bike going now.

GSL
Sun Mar 20th, 2005, 05:58 PM
Hey Wade,

Don't have the Falco any more. :cry: I'll be on the beemer. :)

Ok, I've done a little more research and it looks like Iowa is no good. I'd have to go all the way out to BFE east of DesMoines to get a valid stamp.

As for SD, it would be nice to pick up either Jewel Cave or Badlands, but we'd have to leave at 4am to still get to Pipestone, MN, by 5pm (calculations based on 70 mph overall travel time - which includes stopping for gas). If that's not too early, I'm game.

An alternate would be to leave at 5 am and head straight out to North Platte, NE, and turn due north on US83 to I-80 and head over to MN. This is the shortest route to Pipestone.

Either way, we could stay in Omaha or wherever that night, and come back home via Cheyenne to get you 1517 miles total. Hell, I've even got a place to stay in North Platte if we needed, although I don't think the timing would be right.

I'm mostly interested in picking up MN on this trip, because I can get SD just about anytime (short up and back day trip).

Here's a screen capture on the North Platte Route
[img=left:1db6f0aac7]http://eurobikedenver.smugmug.com/photos/17879943-M.jpg[/img:1db6f0aac7]

GSL
Sun Mar 20th, 2005, 06:10 PM
Actually, my post wasn't entirely correct. Turning north at North Platte isn't the shortest. It's about 25 miles shorter to head over on US30 thru Grand Island and Columbus, but it looks like there's a lot of small towns that dot that road, which might slow the pace down a bit. I'd rather stay away from small towns until Pipestone is in the bag.

BTW, what's the fuel range on the TL?

swademaster
Mon Mar 21st, 2005, 02:53 PM
Screw Iowa (Idiots Out Wandereing Around) then. Let's go to Jewel Cave and then Pipestone. I've haven't been up in that part on the country in a long time and never on the bike.

4 AM is fine with me. I usually get up at 3AM for work any way. The small towns in NE will slow us down. I've been in that area before and there isn't a damn thing worth seeing.

We should probably paln on staying in Omaha. It looks like a little over 1000 miles going into Lusk, Rapid City, Pipestone, and then Omaha. It would be a little over 500 on the second day from Omaha to Northglenn and we wouldn't have to go through Cheyenne. I've already talked to my brother about staying at his place in Omaha and he said it would be ok.

I can average almost 50 mpg on the TL when not pushing too hard. If I say 40-45 mpg to be on the safe side, that would give me a range of around 175 miles.

I will be able to narrow down a date more when my wife gets her work schedule for April. I am looking at doing this either April 30-May 1 or May 7-8.

GSL
Mon Mar 21st, 2005, 06:35 PM
Sound good! 8)

swademaster
Tue Mar 22nd, 2005, 02:31 PM
Is anybody else still interested? I remeber a few other were before but no one else has posted for a while.

GSL
Tue Mar 22nd, 2005, 05:12 PM
Hey Wade,

I got one other guy (not on this forum) who may be interested in tagging along. We can split a hotel room if your bro doesn't have the room to put all of us up. Also good with enough floor space for a sleeping bag. No problemo. 8)

Cheers,
Will

swademaster
Wed Mar 23rd, 2005, 02:22 PM
Shouldn't be a problem. I'll check with him this weekend.

Hawke
Sun Mar 27th, 2005, 10:05 PM
I am still game for this. Been lurking for a while watching the developments.

swademaster
Mon Mar 28th, 2005, 02:54 PM
I talked to my brother again this weekend. He said no problem with people staying there if some don't mind sleeping on the floor. If there would be too many we could stay at my parent's house in Clarks instead.

My wife doesn't think she will have to work the weekend of May 7-8, so I am planning to make this trip then.

GSL
Sun Apr 24th, 2005, 11:04 AM
Hey Wade,

We still on for May 7/8?

I don't need to visit those National parks anymore (giving up for this year), so if you want to play with the route, go for it. We also don't need to start so early in the morning (I'm up for anything, though).

Cheers,
Will

swademaster
Sun Apr 24th, 2005, 08:21 PM
Hopefully we can still do it that weekend. Engine still isn't done. I will know more tomorrow.

swademaster
Mon Apr 25th, 2005, 02:20 PM
Looks like the 7th and 8th will work out. I stopped by TK on the way home today and Bart was putting the engine back together. I should be getting it back tomorrow and running by Friday.

The original route is still ok with me. If I have time to do some looking I might see if another one will work. Maybe leaving a little later in the morning would be good, around 6AM.

Is your friend still planning to go? Hawke, you still in?

Hawke
Mon Apr 25th, 2005, 08:57 PM
It is not looking real good right now. I need to see if I can scratch up some extra $$$. Working hard to find some extra scratch.

GSL
Wed Apr 27th, 2005, 09:09 AM
Nope, it's just gonna be me. My buddy is riding his bike out to California that weekend for a business trip. Must be nice... 8)

swademaster
Wed Apr 27th, 2005, 04:03 PM
:cry: I hate to do this, but it looks like the ride is going to be postponed :cry: Got the engine in and it fired right up and sounds good. That's not the problem. I have a coolant leak and it will take a week to get the seals to fix it. :x I could have the bike going by next weekend but I don't feel comfortable riding 1,500 miles on a engine that I don't know I can trust.

Sorry to have to do this. Hopefully we can reschedule in the near future.

GSL
Wed Apr 27th, 2005, 05:31 PM
Hey man,

I know exactly how you feel. I would not go out on a 1500 mile ride with an untested bike either. Unfortunately, this was my last free weekend until June 25th. So, I'll just have to be cheering you on if you decide to ride it sooner.

Cheers mate,
Will

Hawke
Wed Apr 27th, 2005, 07:18 PM
That sux!! But I definately understand.

My next comment is very selfish. Yeah! When you schedule for later I will still be able to go!

CAMit...
Thu Apr 28th, 2005, 12:08 AM
Sorry to hear about the leak on your motor...

I had been lurking on the thread for a while waiting to see how things worked out. The weekend you choose did not work for myself so I didn't post anything. But keep us updated if you find a new weekend for this trip and if you don't mind a tag along, I am interested in this.

swademaster
Thu Apr 28th, 2005, 02:55 PM
Don't cancel your plans for next weekend yet, Will. I'm having the parts overnighted and should be in tomorrow. I am going to fix it myself and should have the bike going tomorrow afternoon.

If I can't do the ride next weekend it will be a while before I get a chance. I will post as soon as I know if the bike is all fixed.

swademaster
Thu Apr 28th, 2005, 05:31 PM
Trip is now canceled until later. I now have a problem with the right side engine cover and will have to get a new one. June 25 & 26 might be a possibility.

GSL
Fri Apr 29th, 2005, 06:01 AM
No worries. Take your time, get it worked out. It's all good. 8)

trackaddict
Sat Apr 30th, 2005, 11:17 PM
rode from here to somewhere in Indianna in 18 hours...about 1400 miles?

get the certification. i wish i had kept track and all now.

swademaster
Sun May 8th, 2005, 02:25 PM
The TL is rinning again. :yay: Now it is time to start planning the trip again. As of right now I am thinking about June 25 & 26, that way Will can ride along also. Might look into other routes. I talked to my brother yesterday and he said that we will be welcome to stay at his place if we keep the same route as before. If we don't, he might come to CO and ride along with. Let me know what you guys think.

Hawke
Sun May 15th, 2005, 08:30 PM
I want to do this whenever. Glad the bike is running.

GSL
Tue May 17th, 2005, 09:26 PM
Wade,

I'm VERY questionable at this point. I'll be burning the candle at both ends right up until June 22 (final exam and final project due at school). Knowing that I may sleep thru that entire next weekend, I think a long distance ride is probably not a safe idea.

Don't plan around me. MAKE A PLAN and I'll make it if it works out.

Cheers! Ride safe!
Will

towneh
Tue May 17th, 2005, 09:57 PM
go for it!!! email me a couple of days before you go.... i'd be glad to do the witness thing! eat and travel light and keep those fuel stops short.
hayabago henry :D

swademaster
Wed May 18th, 2005, 02:46 PM
Wade,

I'm VERY questionable at this point. I'll be burning the candle at both ends right up until June 22 (final exam and final project due at school). Knowing that I may sleep thru that entire next weekend, I think a long distance ride is probably not a safe idea.

Don't plan around me. MAKE A PLAN and I'll make it if it works out.

Cheers! Ride safe!
Will

No problem. I am waiting for my wife tio get here work schedule for June to find out what Saturdays she will have to work. I will be going on a weekend when she isn't working so we won't have to find a babysitter for our son during that Saturday morning.

Will or Henry, do either of you have a program that would map the route to submit for the cert?

towneh
Wed May 18th, 2005, 02:57 PM
hi wade,
yes, i've got microsoft streets and trips era 2003 which i upgrade over the www. i ususally cook-up instructions for the trip and then update them for actual stops that i make (reality often differs from yer plans!) for submittal to iba... i'm in parker,co and i'd be more that willing to show you what i do for prep and submittal.... (week day eves till 9pm and sundays)
later,
hayabago henry ;)

swademaster
Wed May 18th, 2005, 04:18 PM
Thanks Henry. When the time gets closer I might be stopping by.

swademaster
Sat May 28th, 2005, 07:52 AM
June 25-26 is the weekend I"m planning this ride for. My wife has to work the next two weekends and the 18-19 I want to spend with my family for Father's Day. I'm still planning on the same route.

Who's going?

GSL
Sun May 29th, 2005, 03:46 PM
Wanna go. Can't commit.

swademaster
Sun May 29th, 2005, 10:05 PM
If you can go, good. If you can't, I understand. If it is a last minute decision that is fine. I won't plan on you going and if you do get to go that would be great.

swademaster
Wed Jun 1st, 2005, 03:13 PM
I think I'm gonna cahnge this trip back to 1000/24. This way it will be cheaper and then I can go to the dyno day at Twin Peaks on Sunday. I will post the route in a couple of days.

swademaster
Wed Jun 15th, 2005, 09:55 PM
For anybody that is still interested, here is the plan. 1000 miles is 24 hours. Starting point at the BP by my house to Omaha, NE and back. Roughly 1040 miles. Probably stop by my brother's place to visit for a little while and get a bite to eat. Leave around 6AM June 25th and be back that night. If anybody else is going let me know ASAP.

GSL
Fri Jun 24th, 2005, 07:31 PM
No can do, but I'd be happy to run up there tomorrow morning and sign you out. Let me know by 10pm tonight.

Also, if I don't hear from ya... GOOD LUCK!! 8)

Will
719-686-8274

swademaster
Sun Jun 26th, 2005, 09:23 AM
I didn't get to go. I had to go to a funeral in Kansas for my wife's grandmother. Didn't get back until last night. I am still palnning to do this ride but don't know when for sure. Yet me know when you'll have a chance,Will, and maybe we can work something out.

PharmerKyle
Sun Jun 26th, 2005, 07:24 PM
I did 531 in 10 hours yesterday in your honor. DON'T GIVE UP 8)

GSL
Mon Jun 27th, 2005, 06:19 AM
Wade,

I could possibly do something on either July 9th or 10th. School starts back up again on the 13th, so after that, I can only play it by ear, with last minute decisions.

Cheers,
Will

swademaster
Mon Jun 27th, 2005, 03:02 PM
I wo'nt get a chance again until mid August at the eariliest. Need to finish my yard work starting next weekend. That will take a couple of weekends. My son's B-day is the first of August, so I know I can't get away until after that. I my wait until the temps cool down so I don't sweat my ass off for 1000-1500 miles.