PDA

View Full Version : group passes

asp_125
Sun Mar 22nd, 2009, 10:04 PM
Let's face it, if we didn't pass in the canyons we might as well park our bikes at the 7-11. This is a fact of riding. Sometimes we have to go around. That old farm truck, or the winnebago, or the sedan with the out of state plates.

Specifically, I can see ma and pa Kettle from Iowa getting freaked out as 10 sportbikes zip by at mach 1. On every group ride I've been on this spring, there has been one Cager who's given us a finger or if not, must've said aloud "damned bikers!". You've all been there, you ride their ass hoping they see you and move over enough .. gawd those that move over in the wrong places .. :banghead:

So how do we pass with consideration? I see a bunch of us who give a "thank you" wave :hibye:.. but short of having red & blue flashing lights on the lead bike, are we forced to do these mass passes? One day some idiot is going to get pissed enough to move over on one of us as we go by. Or maybe I'm being paranoid and just need to take a valium before each ride?

I do it when I have to, I know some won't pass unless waved by. Some will pass anywhere / anytime, while others wait for a passing lane, etc. I know if it's just me or a couple of bikes, I will pass more often than when I'm leading a group. It's early in the season and some newbies might be wondering what the etiquette is when we go on these group rides.

Nick_Ninja
Sun Mar 22nd, 2009, 10:23 PM
The main response that I have noticed on group rides is 98% of the riders in the group have no clue where the passing lanes are, where each corner is on the route, and where the basic stops are located ----- even with a 'group talk'.

When folks begin to pass, no matter when, where, how safe (or not) it invokes the 'mob mentality'. For some reason the pack gets the notion that they, (some times as in each-and-every bike) have to pass. I don't know if they feel that they will be left behind, the lunch stop will run out of grub before they get there, or if their ego's take over and they have to prove to themselves --- or to someone else, that they can do it too. Fucked reasons or not --- they happen and they happen this time of year most often. So ---- have fun, be careful and think.

asp_125
Sun Mar 22nd, 2009, 10:33 PM
... Fucked reasons or not --- they happen and they happen this time of year most often. So ---- have fun, be careful and think.

Yep. Todays ride was pretty good, passes were made but hand signals (all clear, no-go) were communicated during the pre-ride meeting, and actually used on the road. We can't control what the cager will do, so we have to THINK for them as well. Just cause the rider ahead of you made it, is no guarantee the cager won't speed up, move over, or one of several outcomes.

YZFRydn
Sun Mar 22nd, 2009, 11:12 PM
I have to agree with you on that one Jeff. I was waiting for the Red Lincoln on HWY 6 to take out the next person that tried to go around him because he was riding the front groups ass the whole way down. Ray and I were the next in line to pass but I think it was for the best he and I included chose not to.

I recommend everyone give a wave to the car if you're going pass or the move over or slow down at all. That small little wave goes a long way especially when 20+ bikes go cruising past them.

Let's face it, most people have an issue being passed and when a bunch of people are doing it illegally, people (cagers to be specific) tend to get worked up. I would hate to see some road rage come out from someone during these nice riding weather months to come.

Definitely use the all clear and no-go signals if you are the first or second bike in front of the cage being passed. It helps keep everyone a little bit safer and avoids us doing it if there is an LEO up ahead.

There have been a lot of people going down lately and I definitely don't want it happening to any CSC'ers, so be safe out there people. Where your gear and use your heads.

mtnairlover
Mon Mar 23rd, 2009, 07:28 AM
Let's face it, most people have an issue being passed and when a bunch of people are doing it illegally, people (cagers to be specific) tend to get worked up. I would hate to see some road rage come out from someone during these nice riding weather months to come.

I couldn't agree more. Definitely, the "thank-you" wave is a good idea. And let's face it, sometimes we've been around one or two riders who seem to think the road belongs to them just as much as the cager does. The road belongs to everyone...so, most definitely, think before you pass. Don't pass just cuz the guy in front of you passed...don't pass cuz you think the guy behind you is getting too antsy. Do what you feel is safe, plain and simple.

I was riding with 2 people on Saturday and up front. We ended up behind a Vette, and for the life of me, I just did not feel like passing at any time. The first thought on my mind was the gravel in the middle of the road and then the idea of kicking up that gravel if I passed...I just did not feel comfortable at all. So, I rode 'granny-style' this weekend...meh, it's only the beginning of Spring. There's lots more rides to come.:)

rforsythe
Mon Mar 23rd, 2009, 07:54 AM
One day some idiot is going to get pissed enough to move over on one of us as we go by. Or maybe I'm being paranoid and just need to take a valium before each ride?

It isn't paranoia, I've had it happen when a bunch of people in the group I was in passed someone in a gigantic mob. I waited a little bit and tried to do it safely, but he had just been angered by the whole thing, and moved his pickup over in an attempt to "block" me off the road. I finally got around him when he realized I wasn't trying to be a dick. I've seen cagers flip off bikers, chuck cigarettes at them, cuss wildly, etc.

The main response that I have noticed on group rides is 98% of the riders in the group have no clue where the passing lanes are, where each corner is on the route, and where the basic stops are located ----- even with a 'group talk'.

When folks begin to pass, no matter when, where, how safe (or not) it invokes the 'mob mentality'. For some reason the pack gets the notion that they, (some times as in each-and-every bike) have to pass. I don't know if they feel that they will be left behind, the lunch stop will run out of grub before they get there, or if their ego's take over and they have to prove to themselves --- or to someone else, that they can do it too. Fucked reasons or not --- they happen and they happen this time of year most often. So ---- have fun, be careful and think.

+1.

We have a lot of people out there working against us. Yes cars go slower than bikes -- that's just what they do. That does not give us the right to ignore anything remotely related to courtesy and do some of the shit I've seen happen on group rides. Here's a tip: When the number of bikes passing a car causes that car to have to make a dive for the shoulder just so there's enough room that someone doesn't die, that is not cool.

Now I've also had some really nice cagers realize that a bunch of bikes were trying to get around, and drive half on the shoulder for a while so we could all get by in the lane without having to cross double yellow's (which are painted that way for a reason, esp in mountains), and in that case I have no issue with it, but I'm still watching that cage's path in case he needs to come back in suddenly.

Sean
Mon Mar 23rd, 2009, 08:19 AM
It isn't paranoia It has to be a steryotype then. I was coming down Boulder Canyon on Saturday at the speed limit to +10, and cars would still freak out. I had no intention of passing any of them and still left 2-3 cars length in between us. I never pressured them to speed up. Yet 3 cars, at 3 different spots, throughout the canyon pulled aside on the dirt to let me pass by. It really let me know that a lot of people are making some questionable passsing.

I'm a fan of the wave as you go by. Even if it's in a passing zone. I think people get freaked out by a bike buzzing by them. In canyons, on group rides (because everybody needs to pass the car at the same time :banghead:), I at least try to do the "safe pass" signal of holding your left arm straight out. If I can't stop them from passing, hopefully I can let them know if there's a car in that blind corner that they are barreling into.

Tipys
Mon Mar 23rd, 2009, 08:30 AM
see i have been pulled out on, fliped off, cut off, yelled at, called names. and this has all happened without passing and then people that do that kind of stuff is when i decide i dont want to be around so i pass them and for some reason that pisses them off more but i wasnt going to stick around there with them. i have also noticed it seems to be the guys in big trucks that get the most pissed off about it.

arcatacat
Mon Mar 23rd, 2009, 08:45 AM
meh, it's only the beginning of Spring. There's lots more rides to come.:)

Exactly. There's no reason to waste the rest of the season trying to pass that one car that may be annoying you. Be safe. Double yellow lines are not intended to piss you off... they're engineered to keep you alive.

i have also noticed it seems to be the guys in big trucks that get the most pissed off about it.

There's a couple stories posted every season about some dood in a big pickup who followed/threatened/swerved into or otherwise harassed one of us. Hmm.

Matty
Mon Mar 23rd, 2009, 10:18 AM
real simple..... if you wanna pass, then pass. if not, then don't.

If i'm in the lead then i'll pass whenever i feel comfortable (if people follow that's their decision). If i'm hanging back and riding in the middle and a few people in front of me pass another vehicle. i'll wait till i feel it's safe and then i'll make my pass.

Also, whenever i do pass i look back and let people behind me know when it's safe to make their move if they choose.

MetaLord 9
Mon Mar 23rd, 2009, 10:41 AM
I'll pass when comfortable too. I've been in the pack mentality before where it's been "Oh fuck these guys are taking off & I have no idea where we're going, I NEED to hang with" but I don't ride with those kids anymore. I ride with folks who are gonna pull over before the next turn or even after several miles, just to regroup & make sure we're all ok. If I can't see far enough ahead of the car in front of me, I'm not passing. It did get to the point, however, that last year we started experiencing people pulling halfway over in their lanes to let us by without crossing the double yellow. That was a new wrinkle for me, especially 'cause I couldn't tell if they were being very nice & giving me room to scoot by or just being awful drivers! :lol:

sag
Mon Mar 23rd, 2009, 11:29 AM
ride with hi beam hids? lol

most of the time i use my signals, wave and pass slowly so as not to startle them. even i get startled by my friends blowing past me and for half a second am very angry.

haelo
Mon Mar 23rd, 2009, 01:11 PM
Maybe we should go the speed limit... hahahaha

asp_125
Mon Mar 23rd, 2009, 01:15 PM
Maybe we should go the speed limit... hahahaha

We do.. it's called the n00b ride. LOL.

Srsly, there are times where we do, because it's not safe to pass, or passing would get you nowhere, like coming down 6 behind a string of cars.

sprtbkbabe
Mon Mar 23rd, 2009, 08:23 PM
If ya can't pass on a bike and give the other drivers some respect in allowing them to let ya go by or give them a chance to respect ya back, then ya probably drive like an ass-hat in a cage as well.

And don't let another rider ahead of you allow you to ride just as stupid as they may have exhibited on a previous pass. Just with all group rides, a good mantra is "don't get sucked in"

Seriously, as the weather is nicer, tourists are too busy looking at "the pretty leaves on those trees..." give them an opportunity to NOT treat you like a group of dick riders.

For those drivers who just plain hate bikes, pass them and get the fuck away as safely and as fast as you can.

I believe this law was passed recently and it forces drivers holding up at least 5 vehicles to get over. But don't expect all drivers to have gotten this memo: http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/18471108/detail.html

DevilsTonic
Mon Mar 23rd, 2009, 08:53 PM
I normally don't pass, unless there is a defined passing zone or unless the car rides the shoulder and waves me past. A lot of time the drivers in the canyons are considerate enough to pull over when they can. There's also no reason to get all aggrivated and try to pressure them off the road. I realized while taking it easy in the mountains riding sat and sun this weekend, that it's enjoyable just to cruise at a very polite pace and enjoy the gorgeous scenery that we have here.

I do have my moments though and do pass when I probably shouldn't, but I try to behave myself. I would rather live to ride another day. :)

sag
Mon Mar 23rd, 2009, 09:30 PM
i dunno about you guys but a couple weeks into having my bike i was going through the poudre a little faster then the speed limit and i got overtaken and smoked by some mail van

Wyck
Tue Mar 24th, 2009, 10:25 AM
i dunno about you guys but a couple weeks into having my bike i was going through the poudre a little faster then the speed limit and i got overtaken and smoked by some mail van
:pointlaugh: Hehe that's funny. Probably would happen to me too :turtle:

Wockilla
Tue Mar 24th, 2009, 08:56 PM
I have to put my .02 cents in here and say that on my first ride up through Estes Park twisties, when everyone else had passed and left me behind, I did get a little nervous, however I just waited until I could pass the cager's safely. I just kept in mind that I would eventually happen upon the spot where everyone else had stopped to make sure everyone was still with us.

asp_125
Tue Mar 24th, 2009, 09:32 PM
I have to put my .02 cents in here and say that on my first ride up through Estes Park twisties, when everyone else had passed and left me behind, I did get a little nervous, however I just waited until I could pass the cager's safely. I just kept in mind that I would eventually happen upon the spot where everyone else had stopped to make sure everyone was still with us.

:up: Good for you. Don't be pressured into making a sketchy pass.

Desmodromico
Wed Mar 25th, 2009, 08:14 AM
I had a funny one earlier this year when I passed a Ford pickup at moderate speed on an open stretch with good visibility and the guy took offense and started riding my ass. I decided to lose him and went into the next corner at a pretty good clip, dude got half way in and freaked out, hit the brakes, and ran wide into the other lane. I am pretty sure he learned his lesson and he was lucky there was no one coming the other way.

I have noticed a big increase in road rage in my normal commute, I think with the economy being rough and people stressed out about their jobs etc. they are just right on the edge of snapping...best advice is don't be an ass and wheelie down the freeway, lane split, or ride peoples bumpers, but even then just watch out for yourself. :crazy:

lightspeed
Wed Mar 25th, 2009, 08:29 AM
real simple..... if you wanna pass, then pass. if not, then don't.

If i'm in the lead then i'll pass whenever i feel comfortable (if people follow that's their decision). If i'm hanging back and riding in the middle and a few people in front of me pass another vehicle. i'll wait till i feel it's safe and then i'll make my pass.

Also, whenever i do pass i look back and let people behind me know when it's safe to make their move if they choose.

+1 Couldn't agree more with this. Goes back to riding your ride and doing what feels comfortable to you. Then letting others know if and when it's safe to pass. I think the wave to the cagers is a good thing and also a courteous way to let them know we all share the road.

Carlito
Wed Mar 25th, 2009, 11:08 AM

Whoa, whoa, whoa...hang on a second. There's passing lanes? I never knew that! And this whole time I've just been passing in the center lines or into oncoming traffic's lane at 90 MPH in second gear. lol :wtf:

Nick_Ninja
Wed Mar 25th, 2009, 11:16 AM
Whoa, whoa, whoa...hang on a second. There's passing lanes? I never knew that! And this whole time I've just been passing in the center lines or into oncoming traffic's lane at 90 MPH in second gear. lol :wtf:

And that, my friend, is why I will have a beer with you but not ride with you :D

Giianee
Wed Mar 25th, 2009, 12:41 PM
And that, my friend, is why I will have a beer with you but not ride with you :D

LMFAO :up:

InlineSIX24
Wed Mar 25th, 2009, 01:34 PM
+1 on giving people in cars the thank you wave when they pull over to let you by. If more of us did that then more drivers would yield for us. Having someone you trust up front to wave you ahead is nice also. I've been a number of rides where the lead passer didn't weigh the situation enough before giving the go-ahead.

Cars-R-Coffins
Wed Mar 25th, 2009, 06:29 PM
Double yellow lines are not intended to piss you off... they're engineered to keep you alive.

Unfortunately they're also engineered for the lowest common denominator ...like this '77 Caprice :turtle:

Bueller
Wed Mar 25th, 2009, 06:43 PM
Another great reason for small groups.

Aphrodite
Thu Mar 26th, 2009, 05:54 PM
I after the last ride I know now that I need lots of practice at this cause, cause I know I can pass fine, but letting others behind me know its safe I didn't do that, but I will get better at this, along with the warning of sand etc in the road blah blah. To used to riding alone. :dunno:

Gramps
Thu Mar 26th, 2009, 07:22 PM

can I get a Amen on that one!

Aphrodite
Thu Mar 26th, 2009, 07:28 PM
Dunno I like the big group, but I liked the social aspect of it, when riding we were riding. With helmet off in the curves maybe leaning hard enough we could socialize while riding?

YZFRydn
Thu Mar 26th, 2009, 07:42 PM

The last ride should have been split into two groups instead of so many.

Bueller
Thu Mar 26th, 2009, 07:45 PM
If you look at the posts you will see a pattern,
New to group riding........Yippie!! this is sooooo awesome!
Many years of riding.......Group rides suck, too much BS.

Experience is a great teacher.
If I want to socialize with these clowns I'll hit bike night. :lol:

Nick_Ninja
Thu Mar 26th, 2009, 07:54 PM
+1

daemon
Thu Mar 26th, 2009, 07:57 PM
If you look at the posts you will see a pattern,
New to group riding........Yippie!! this is sooooo awesome!
Many years of riding.......Group rides suck, too much BS.

Experience is a great teacher.
If I want to socialize with these clowns I'll hit bike night. :lol:
sorry,but i will disagree on that point.

i find that to be a misconstrued point of veiw.
there are many of us that have years under our belt that enjoy the "ocassional" group ride.
it is more to the point in how the group ride is conducted and by whom.
not all group rides are a clusterfuck of rampant hormones and ego's.

much else could be said on how well a group leader will take the group and what they know of the participants and split the group appropriately.
i do know that running sweep on a "noob" ride really sucks though.

i guess my best point would be that the group leader('s) need to be able to maintain a group and understand what is the best way to conduct such a group.
group rides can be fun for all involved .
IF THEY ARE REGULATED....JMO

for some odd reason though whenever i ask for a "rum runner" to lead the group.
everyone backs of....WTH???

Aphrodite
Thu Mar 26th, 2009, 08:10 PM
Noob to this board, True.
Noob to a large group, True
Noob to riding, False.
Noob to small groups, False.

I liked the larger group, has nothing to do with experience unless you were referring to experience with a large group?

Bueller
Thu Mar 26th, 2009, 08:18 PM
pretty much

Matty
Thu Mar 26th, 2009, 08:21 PM
small groups / large groups.

I'm with Mayo and Dave on this one. It really just depends on who i'm riding with. I like smaller groups when it's people i know and our riding styles and speeds are similiar. And, if i know i'll be doing more of just chill and laid back riding i don't mind larger groups.

Aphrodite
Thu Mar 26th, 2009, 08:21 PM
pretty much

Right on. Id be glad to get that experience then. :headbang:

Nick_Ninja
Thu Mar 26th, 2009, 08:27 PM
I only participate in the Super Secret Sexay rides :up:

Bueller
Thu Mar 26th, 2009, 08:34 PM
sorry,but i will disagree on that point.

i find that to be a misconstrued point of veiw.
there are many of us that have years under our belt that enjoy the "ocassional" group ride.
it is more to the point in how the group ride is conducted and by whom.
not all group rides are a clusterfuck of rampant hormones and ego's.

much else could be said on how well a group leader will take the group and what they know of the participants and split the group appropriately.
i do know that running sweep on a "noob" ride really sucks though.

i guess my best point would be that the group leader('s) need to be able to maintain a group and understand what is the best way to conduct such a group.
group rides can be fun for all involved .
IF THEY ARE REGULATED....JMO

for some odd reason though whenever i ask for a "rum runner" to lead the group.
everyone backs of....WTH???
Group rides (large) are a gamble at best, as to how they will go down. I have hit a few recently to accompany friends that wanted to go and without fail at some point in the day I am reminded of why I don't do groups. I am a very selfish rider and enjoy my freedom too much to be held to a responsibility involved with leading or sweeping a group. I can deal with 4-5 people that know whats going on, this is the ultimate in multi. Leave early get the fix, no tickets no crashing.

Gramps
Thu Mar 26th, 2009, 08:40 PM
I only participate in the Super Secret Sexay rides :up:

Yeah me too. I'm a ride snob :lol:

I just find that I enjoy riding with people I trust. Therefore riding with big groups of people that I don't know makes me a little nervous.

Aphrodite
Thu Mar 26th, 2009, 08:46 PM
I definatly can understand the whole trust thing. More people that get together means the chance of getting more dangerous peeps around heck look at the cages on the highways on a daily basis. But....I am willing to look into the whole big group ride thing more so cause it was a good experience, beside I get to air out on the track anyway, I am content with the speed limit +20 on and off.

FZRguy
Thu Mar 26th, 2009, 08:49 PM
Yeah me too. I'm a ride snob :lol: I just find that I enjoy riding with people I trust. Therefore riding with big groups of people that I don't know makes me a little nervous.

+1

YZFRydn
Thu Mar 26th, 2009, 08:50 PM
Group rides can be sketchy since you never know how everyone rides and what people are willing to do something stupid that could endanger others. Not to mention I think people get target fixation more easily in a big group than a smaller group and that is a bad thing.

Aphrodite
Thu Mar 26th, 2009, 08:57 PM
Group rides can be sketchy since you never know how everyone rides and what people are willing to do something stupid that could endanger others. Not to mention I think people get target fixation more easily in a big group than a smaller group and that is a bad thing.

True maybe for those new riders who fall behind on the twisties then try to catch up on the straight-a-ways then any kind of curve pops up. But seen that happen before with the smaller groups also.

Gramps
Thu Mar 26th, 2009, 09:07 PM
The big group/small group conversation can go on forever. What it really boils down to is each persons comfort level in particular situations.

I break it down like this. If I am riding a canyon road at a nice pace(say 45 mph) and am in a small group of seasoned riders. We can ride in close proximity at that nice pace with no issues. I can also trust that the rider behind or in front of me is going to make wise decisions at speed.

Given the same canyon in a group of people I don't know or trust I have another risk factor. Now I am constantly watching for them to slam on the binders because they are in over their head as well as all the other risks we must watch for when we are riding.

I personally am more comfortable in a smaller more personal group.

:)

Nick_Ninja
Thu Mar 26th, 2009, 09:12 PM
The big group/small group conversation can go on forever. What it really boils down to is each persons comfort level in particular situations.

I break it down like this. If I am riding a canyon road at a nice pace (say 45 mph) and am in a small group of seasoned riders. We can ride in close proximity at that nice pace with no issues. I can also trust that the rider behind or in front of me is going to make wise decisions at speed.

Given the same canyon in a group of people I don't know or trust I have another risk factor. Now I am constantly watching for them to slam on the binders because they are in over their head as well as all the other risks we must watch for when we are riding.

I personally am more comfortable in a smaller more personal group.

Yep

http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/local/ThePace.html

Aphrodite
Thu Mar 26th, 2009, 09:14 PM
Oh well all I can say is my one experience of a large group ride was about a week ago and I liked it. My opinion may or may not change, but I haven't gotten a chance to ride the roads around the Colorado area at all anyway.

What I will be diggin' is the track days for speed anyways.

Gramps
Thu Mar 26th, 2009, 09:20 PM
Oh well all I can say is my one experience of a large group ride was about a week ago and I liked it. My opinion may or may not change, but I haven't gotten a chance to ride the roads around the Colorado area at all anyway.

What I will be diggin' is the track days for speed anyways.

My advice is to search out some responsible people that bring knowledge and information. That way you can improve as you learn your way around the State.

dirkterrell
Fri Mar 27th, 2009, 07:08 AM
Mayo's got a good point. It's about how it's done. I go on Brian's newb rides because they are run well and I figure I can help newcomers to the sport. I don't mind sweeping them either. I just keep telling myself that the ride is not for me, but the newbs when I get antsy. I just have to be careful not to start daydreaming when the pace is low. :)

Now, as for rides at a quicker pace, I tend to be pretty selective about the group, preferring a smaller group of people that I know I can trust not to do something stupid and ruin the ride. I'm not one to show up at MoCo and blast through the canyons with people I don't know.

Dirk

Matty
Fri Mar 27th, 2009, 08:52 AM
Mayo's got a good point. It's about how it's done. I go on Brian's newb rides because they are run well and I figure I can help newcomers to the sport. I don't mind sweeping them either. I just keep telling myself that the ride is not for me, but the newbs when I get antsy. I just have to be careful not to start daydreaming when the pace is low. :)

Now, as for rides at a quicker pace, I tend to be pretty selective about the group, preferring a smaller group of people that I know I can trust not to do something stupid and ruin the ride. I'm not one to show up at MoCo and blast through the canyons with people I don't know.

Dirk

+1.

CHRISTIAN COWBOY
Fri Mar 27th, 2009, 09:17 AM
welcome all you new people, hope to see you on one of the BIG group rides, cause I'm a newbie too!!!
Someday I'll become an ol` fart, get a cruiser and not want to hang with ya
oh wait, I am an ol` fart!!!

GixxerCarrie
Fri Mar 27th, 2009, 09:57 AM
Agree that you don't want to ride with just "anyone". Daniel and I showed up once at MOCO and met Diego/Vehicle 1 and that's one of most memorable rides of my biking experience. Plus, an all dayer with a killer route. Plus, Diego taught me alot that day about turns by following him all day.

I always know that I don't have to pace the group. I ride at my own pace, and, if I feel uncomfortable I can take a different route. On any of the group rides, I've never had to do that. If I was slow, I found them at a stopping point.

At this point I'm really happy with the groups that post and I ride with. I've met great people who have taught me tons. Jus from my noob point of view....

asp_125
Fri Mar 27th, 2009, 10:09 AM
At the end of the day it's about finding a bunch of riders that ride at your pace. The early big rides are good to get to know a few folks new or old, and as the season progresses you learn who likes to cruise and who likes to go fast, and you pick your rides accordingly. I can see some that show up for a group ride and then think "they're too damned slow", or "bunch of speed demons". The dynamics of group riding are different than riding alone.

I can understand the freedom to ride alone, at your own speed, stopping where you want etc. I can also appreciate just out with a couple friends, not worrying about leading or sweeping. I like those rides too. The flip side is introducing new routes to others, heading to a nice destination in the mountains, or later in the season overnighters with a bunch of friends. Something for everyone.

SaShWhO
Fri Mar 27th, 2009, 10:38 AM
At the end of the day it's about finding a bunch of riders that ride at your pace. The early big rides are good to get to know a few folks new or old, and as the season progresses you learn who likes to cruise and who likes to go fast, and you pick your rides accordingly. I can see some that show up for a group ride and then think "they're too damned slow", or "bunch of speed demons". The dynamics of group riding are different than riding alone.

I can understand the freedom to ride alone, at your own speed, stopping where you want etc. I can also appreciate just out with a couple friends, not worrying about leading or sweeping. I like those rides too. The flip side is introducing new routes to others, heading to a nice destination in the mountains, or later in the season overnighters with a bunch of friends. Something for everyone.

AMEN brutha~~~~Amen

GixxerCarrie
Fri Mar 27th, 2009, 12:45 PM
:)I just ordered saddlebags(soft) for the Gixxer this week...upon Daniel telling me he got some. This way I can do some overnights. Motorcycle-Superstore was having a sale.

OUTLAWD
Fri Mar 27th, 2009, 12:54 PM
+1 Dirk

I am new-ish here as well...new to the board, new to CO, new to group rides in the canyons...

I am not a huge fan of the large groups, but I go anyway. I guess it is sort of a comfort thing...The past few group rides I have been on, I've had the guy in front of me apologize at a stop with something along the lines of "sorry if I'm a bit slow, I've only been riding a month"...etc. Everyone should definitely read THE PACE before hitting the canyons...

A Saturday group ride with 30+ bikes and a ton of traffic is not the place to be pushing the envelope in the canyons...spirited riding, yes, but you should not be getting out of your comfort zone in the slightest bit, especially if your new to riding, everyone was a noob at some point. The times to 'push' are on smaller group rides with people you are comfortable with, or solo weekday blasts through the canyons, or...wait for it...track days...

When it comes to larger groups, I am content riding the pace of whatever cluster of bikes I am in...how else are people supposed to get comfortable with riding with eachother...when I get more familiar with the roads and riders, I'll volunteer to sweep...

modette99
Fri Mar 27th, 2009, 01:40 PM

Giianee
Fri Mar 27th, 2009, 01:40 PM
At the end of the day it's about finding a bunch of riders that ride at your pace.

That statement alone sums it up for me :up:

Kitten
Fri Mar 27th, 2009, 08:37 PM
If I am riding a canyon road at a nice pace(say 45 mph) and am in a small group of seasoned riders.

Wow 45...I've yet to see many roads where that is a safe speed. :shocked:

Zach929rr
Sat Mar 28th, 2009, 03:00 AM
How about another aspect of passing that hasn't come up in this thread:

I have yet to be on a ride where someone has waved faster riders by. Not that it really bothers me in the least bit, I just though this was somewhat SOP for group rider. Perhaps it's wrong to ask group riders to be checking their 6?. How would a faster rider even try to signal to a rider in front of him that he wants to pass? :dunno:

Last ride I was on, ended up passing a few other riders after sitting behind them for a couple of minutes at a slower paced than I was wanting to ride that day.

I guess the big thing here is that most people ride in cliques w/ people they know, and this really isn't an issue that applies to them.

Just throwing stuff out here.

Bueller
Sat Mar 28th, 2009, 07:31 AM
How about another aspect of passing that hasn't come up in this thread:

I have yet to be on a ride where someone has waved faster riders by. Not that it really bothers me in the least bit, I just though this was somewhat SOP for group rider. Perhaps it's wrong to ask group riders to be checking their 6?. How would a faster rider even try to signal to a rider in front of him that he wants to pass? :dunno:

Last ride I was on, ended up passing a few other riders after sitting behind them for a couple of minutes at a slower paced than I was wanting to ride that day.

I guess the big thing here is that most people ride in cliques w/ people they know, and this really isn't an issue that applies to them.

Just throwing stuff out here.

Most riders don't want to have the "pressure" for too long, and will eventually wave you by. The one that kills me is the people who can only go fast on the straights (were I do speed lmt. +10) take that opportunity to pass me and then park their shit in every corner, they see me in the mirror, I make sure of that, yet they don't feel the need to yield.
My bikes are mostly hp challenged, and I like that. I generally try to start a ride toward the mid/front of the group and see where I feel I need to be from there.

Gramps
Sat Mar 28th, 2009, 07:54 AM
Wow 45...I've yet to see many roads where that is a safe speed. :shocked:

I know that's pushing it but it's an OK speed for the less challenging roads.

Matty
Sat Mar 28th, 2009, 09:08 AM
Most riders don't want to have the "pressure" for too long, and will eventually wave you by. The one that kills me is the people who can only go fast on the straights (were I do speed lmt. +10) take that opportunity to pass me and then park their shit in every corner, they see me in the mirror, I make sure of that, yet they don't feel the need to yield.
My bikes are mostly hp challenged, and I like that. I generally try to start a ride toward the mid/front of the group and see where I feel I need to be from there.
+1. except for the HP challenged part.

Dave let's go ride.....

Bueller
Sat Mar 28th, 2009, 09:47 AM
As soon as you are done doing the "snow dance".

Matty
Sat Mar 28th, 2009, 09:53 AM
As soon as you are done doing the "snow dance".
Hahaha.. ok give me 3 more weeks, lol.

Kitten
Sat Mar 28th, 2009, 11:01 AM
I know that's pushing it but it's an OK speed for the less challenging roads.

:lol:

Zach929rr
Sat Mar 28th, 2009, 12:37 PM
I think everyone needs to study a map while they take a shit. It is what I do, I pretty much know most of the roads around this part of CO.

+1

Sean
Sat Mar 28th, 2009, 12:51 PM
Good question. And you are right, alot of people tend to go with others who they ride with regularly. I don't know if this is right, but here's my .02.

In a group I don't know, and I want to pass. I'll do it in the other lane as if it were a car, or I'll catch up to them slowly and cautiously to give them some hand signals that I'm going ahead or passing. There have been plenty of times where I could feel somebody behind me (or I wanted someone else to lead) that I would wave them by. It's important to just be courteous to the people you are riding with.

I've had people buzz by me on my right side (after I had already passed them in the left lane a while back, but began slowing down a little because we were approaching a town) and I thought it was not necessary. Act the same way you would want somebody else to.

OUTLAWD
Sat Mar 28th, 2009, 04:02 PM
I look in my mirror a decent % of the time while riding, I like being aware of who/what is around me. If I find someone is riding my ass, or know they are a faster rider, I wave them by. If I am just not feeling the 'pace' that day, I wave people by and hang in the back to make sure I'm not holding anyone else up. I really don't like flying on the straights...because I'm in no real hurry to get a ticket...I enjoy 65 in a 45 in a turn alot more than 95 in a 45 on a straight...

I also try to signal for shit in the road, wave to passing riders, wave to cagers that pull over or let me pass, signal when its safe for others to pass, or not, as the case may be. Alot of newer people in the group rides I've seen tend to forget that they are in fact in a group, and lack the communication that is helpful when riding with others.

asp_125
Sat Mar 28th, 2009, 04:17 PM
I look in my mirror a decent % of the time while riding, I like being aware of who/what is around me. If I find someone is riding my ass, or know they are a faster rider, I wave them by. If I am just not feeling the 'pace' that day, I wave people by and hang in the back to make sure I'm not holding anyone else up. I really don't like flying on the straights...because I'm in no real hurry to get a ticket...I enjoy 65 in a 45 in a turn alot more than 95 in a 45 on a straight...

I also try to signal for shit in the road, wave to passing riders, wave to cagers that pull over or let me pass, signal when its safe for others to pass, or not, as the case may be. Alot of newer people in the group rides I've seen tend to forget that they are in fact in a group, and lack the communication that is helpful when riding with others.

Riding alone or in a group, it is important to have spatial awareness of who's around you or coming up on your six. I scan my mirrors on the straights. If I know someone was behind me a second ago and they are not in my mirrors, they are probably hanging in my blind spot. So I'll look twice or do a quick head check before I change lanes or dive for the apex. It's not worth risking taking out two bikes just to say you have that corner first. There are no laptimes at stake in the canyons. If I am being passed, or if a pass is imminent, I will hold my line until the rider has gone around.

On the other side, if I'm closing on someone I have the responsibility to make a safe pass, or hang back and chill until I can. I forget who I was following down into Estes, but I found I was always closing the gap going into corners. So I just backed off on the straight and let the gap grow a bit. No sense in ruining your groove on account of another rider if you aren't in a place to pass.

Whether there are 4 bikes or 20, that's the crux of group riding; you're not riding for yourself.

CHRISTIAN COWBOY
Sat Mar 28th, 2009, 05:27 PM
That was me you were hounding!!
I could actually hear you saying " Philly Cheese stakes"
Sasha's favorite place, just around the next corner....

asp_125
Sat Mar 28th, 2009, 07:18 PM
:D sorry.. never get in front of me when I'm hungry!