PDA

View Full Version : Best (read: cheapest) place to buy/mount tires

pg_rider
Tue Mar 24th, 2009, 12:55 PM
Thinking about heading to HPR this weekend and I need a new set of skins for the R1. Since it's short notice and I don't have time to go the mail-order route I'm wondering if there are any places to pick up tires reasonably here in town.

I'm looking for Dunlop Qualifiers; online I see them for ~$265 plus shipping and then it would be another ~$30 to have them mounted here locally. So... is there a shop in town where I can buy them AND have them mounted for under $350?

sugarrey
Tue Mar 24th, 2009, 01:03 PM
I've had most of my work done at faster but unfortunately have had nothing but bad luck from them in the past year. Bought front and read dunlops from there and had them mounted...Along with exhaust installed there....When they installed the tires they scratched both rims, and when they installed the pipe they scratched the swingarm. Also the tires I got were old according to the date code. Within a month of having the tires installed the front tire was cupping and the rear tire had two punctures......Now I understand that the punctures could or could not be due to the fact that the date code was way old, but I've had bikes for over 15 years, and have never had a puncture...So, my advice, go elsewhere for tire and tire installation.

TFOGGuys
Tue Mar 24th, 2009, 01:08 PM
I have Qualifiers in stock for the R1 (120/190), with the special we're running through the end of the month, you'll pay $312.63 out the door with off bike mount and balance.

Sean
Tue Mar 24th, 2009, 01:09 PM
I think it only takes Jim @ TFOG a day or two to get stock in, and I know he's running a mounting special for CSC members. Call by 3pm and he can probably get it here on thursday.

Sean
Tue Mar 24th, 2009, 01:09 PM
Damnit Jim, you ninja'd me :doublefinger:

TFOGGuys
Tue Mar 24th, 2009, 01:10 PM
I think it only takes Jim @ TFOG a day or two to get stock in, and I know he's running a mounting special for CSC members. Call by 3pm and he can probably get it here on thursday.

Ninja'd. I got 'em in stock!

longrider
Tue Mar 24th, 2009, 01:18 PM
If you dont mind a little ride we can help you out at Fay Myers. Using stock sizes it would be about 362 plus tax mounted and balanced. For some reason there is a huge difference between 180 and 190 rears, if you have switched to a 180 then the total price would be about 331 plus tax mounted and balanced.

Edit: never mind, I cant beat Jims deal...

Nick_Ninja
Tue Mar 24th, 2009, 02:21 PM
TFOG FTMFW!!!!!!!!!

(waits patiently for Jim to R&R the ZZR)

patiently

One entry found.

Main Entry: 1pa·tient http://www.merriam-webster.com/images/audio.gif (http://javascript<b></b>:popWin('/cgi-bin/audio.pl?patien02.wav=patient'))Pronunciation: \ˈpā-shənt\ Function: adjective Etymology: Middle English pacient, from Anglo-French, from Latin patient-, patiens, from present participle of pati to suffer; perhaps akin to Greek pēma suffering Date: 14th century 1: bearing pains or trials calmly or without complaint2: manifesting forbearance under provocation or strain3: not hasty or impetuous4: steadfast despite opposition, difficulty, or adversity5 a: able or willing to bear —used with of b: susceptible (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/susceptible) , admitting (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/admitting) <patient of one interpretation>
— pa·tient·ly adverb

Devaclis
Tue Mar 24th, 2009, 02:22 PM
TFOG is awesome. Go there or don't talk to us, ever again.

Gainer
Tue Mar 24th, 2009, 02:28 PM
TFOG is awesome. Go there or don't talk to us, ever again.
+1 http://www.tfogracing.com/

freddiewest
Tue Mar 24th, 2009, 04:42 PM
What they said, Jim mounted and balanced a set of 2ct's for me is a real pleasure to work with!!!

:up::up::up:

The_Jackel
Tue Mar 24th, 2009, 08:15 PM
Not sure if you already have them. Were up in the springs but we could $347 out the door mount and balanced on bike.

pg_rider
Wed Mar 25th, 2009, 10:14 AM
TFOG -- great price! I know this will sound crazy but my wife and I share the R1 and she wants a shorter tire than the 190/55 big boy I've got on there now. What would the price be for a 180/55 rear?

Jackel -- same question. And do you have them in stock?

The_Jackel
Wed Mar 25th, 2009, 10:44 AM
Just sold the last 3 sets I had in stock, I guess people wanted the deal, lol. 180 should be right at $330.

pg_rider
Wed Mar 25th, 2009, 12:39 PM
After reading up a little more I may want Michelin Pilot Power 2CTs. How does the price compare? I think I saw that they were more expensive?

TFOGGuys
Wed Mar 25th, 2009, 02:26 PM
I out of stock on the 2CTs at the moment, but should have them back in on Friday. The front will run $141.99, the rear is $177.99 in a 180. Total out the door w/ off bike mount and balance will be $350.30. The free off bike mount and balance special ends Tuesday.

Dave
Wed Mar 25th, 2009, 03:01 PM
If you want to shop in the Springs, RMCP has the 2CT’s (180 rear) in stock for $340 a set + mounting. IMHO this is a very good choice for a track/street tire.

http://www.rockymtncycleplaza.com/ (http://www.rockymtncycleplaza.com/)

aLiEn
Wed Mar 25th, 2009, 08:25 PM
If you want to shop in the Springs, RMCP has the 2CT’s (180 rear) in stock for $340 a set + mounting. IMHO this is a very good choice for a track/street tire.

http://www.rockymtncycleplaza.com/ (http://www.rockymtncycleplaza.com/)

Your kidding right? Look at RMCP finally trying to come through! As long as they aren't scratching the crap out of my rims like APEX did on my R1's...

Tipys
Wed Mar 25th, 2009, 10:45 PM
alien I did car tires its easy to scratch a wheel even the best tire guys do it. So any shop having your tires changed you run that risk is how I see it.

spdr8cr02
Wed Mar 25th, 2009, 11:01 PM
Jackel did mine today and no scratches... in and out quick and very good price.

matt2778
Wed Mar 25th, 2009, 11:51 PM
My wheels are scratched. But then again I ride mine

konichd
Thu Mar 26th, 2009, 08:26 AM
Paul, if you're not taken care of I have a lot of tires in stock 120/180, I can get 190's for a little more

Michelin Race DOT's (medium) $225
Michelin PP - 289
Michelin 2CT's - 299
Bridgestone BT16's - 259

:)

aLiEn
Sat Mar 28th, 2009, 08:18 AM
But then again I ride mine

I don't, I just have them up on a stand most the year and "spin them right round baby right round like a record baby right round, round, round".

J/K
:eyebrows:

Tipys
Sat Mar 28th, 2009, 08:27 AM
^^^ ok Billy Idol

sugarrey
Sat Mar 28th, 2009, 09:02 AM
Rider being responsible for scratches is different than someone else scratching your shit....no?

aLiEn
Sat Mar 28th, 2009, 06:26 PM
^^^ ok Billy Idol

Dead or Alive:)

-PUCK-
Fri Apr 3rd, 2009, 11:56 PM
Right you are Ken!:)

Todd, you still up in Denver?

aLiEn
Sat Apr 4th, 2009, 01:13 PM
Todd, you still up in Denver?

What up?! Yes, I'm down in D-Town, but up in the Springs on the weekends. Let's get together for some riding this season.:)

-PUCK-
Sat Apr 4th, 2009, 01:53 PM
For sure man. I plan on actually pulling my bike out of the garage this summer since I didn't last year.

GNGSXR
Sat Apr 4th, 2009, 05:58 PM
Not sure if you already have them. Were up in the springs but we could $347 out the door mount and balanced on bike.

on bike price!!!!!!!!! you dont have to deal with taking the tires off and putting them back on yourself.
Ive had Jackel do my tires since i bought the bike new in '06.
Never a scratch and i use A LOT of tires.

Bashed
Mon Apr 6th, 2009, 09:36 AM
Hey Paul,
Good to see you are still around.
Hows the family? The little one
and the wife, doing great I hope.
I have found that Apex has the best walk in prices in the Springs
for tires, heavily dicounted from retail. I don't think anybody who
acually sells tires charges retail.
As for putting them on I am/was the cheapest and the best.
Unfortunatly I am not going to mount any more tires anymore.
To much liability. I am not willing to risk it any more.
If I still had my business liscense and insurance sure, but
I have since let that lapse and really don't need the money.
As far as others in this town, make sure they have liability
insurance as it only takes a small mistake to take your life.
This is why I have worked on my own stuff since I started
to ride, that and it isn't rocket science, you just need the right
equipment and common sense. Good luck!
Bash

modette99
Mon Apr 6th, 2009, 09:57 AM

The_Jackel
Mon Apr 6th, 2009, 10:34 AM
To much liability. I am not willing to risk it any more.

I am just happy to see some one recognizing this as an issue. I know of a few people doing tire changes out of their garage, not having the proper equip. not following important steps and not even balancing tires at all. I have seen mistakes and heard of many accidents caused by these issues. Bashed I hope others read this and understand the risks. This is not my opinion from owning my own shop either, its just common sense. Alot of people think working on bikes is just another vehicle like a car, well its not even close, takes alot more attention to detail and there is no room for a "honest mistake."

Tipys
Mon Apr 6th, 2009, 10:57 AM
I am just happy to see some one recognizing this as an issue. I know of a few people doing tire changes out of their garage, not having the proper equip. not following important steps and not even balancing tires at all. I have seen mistakes and heard of many accidents caused by these issues. Bashed I hope others read this and understand the risks. This is not my opinion from owning my own shop either, its just common sense. Alot of people think working on bikes is just another vehicle like a car, well its not even close, takes alot more attention to detail and there is no room for a "honest mistake."

Plus 1....except I dont own a shop.

modette99
Mon Apr 6th, 2009, 11:38 AM

TFOGGuys
Mon Apr 6th, 2009, 12:16 PM

+1

This goes for other service besides tire changes. We have a system of double checks in place on any critical safety related repairs, just because nobody is perfect.

brennahm
Mon Apr 6th, 2009, 01:12 PM
Out of curiosity, what accidents have you seen caused by mistakes when mounting and poorly/not balancing a tire?

Tipys
Mon Apr 6th, 2009, 01:23 PM
Tire blow outs, run flat

Bashed
Mon Apr 6th, 2009, 02:28 PM
I do tires up in Monument, CO
www.cowrw.com (http://www.cowrw.com)
wearbar@gmail.com

I'm not a business nor do I have liability insurance, just a guy in a garage with a No-Mar. I had only one mistake and that was I broke the damn plastic valve stem holder on a Valkyrie rim, I ran out and bought another one ($4). Otherwise mounting tires on rims is not rocket science.

Although I run this like a business, I do not want thousands of people/customers, just trying to have a steady return customer base. Pretty much to pay for the No-Mar. So far I have a good core customer base...has worked out nice.

Bash, Hit me up if you do any charity tire changes...maybe I'll mount my No-Mar on my trailer and we can tag team a large group and raise some money. Just a thought.

Modette99,
I have done plenty of charity in the past for the local sportbikers and their programs. They are worthwhile and deserving. If I were you, I would seperate my personal assets for my money making business. Even if you never make a mistake, of which you already admitted to in public, you are still vunerable to lawsuits. Do you have 10-30 large to defend yourself. Even if you are not at fault you will still have to pay somebody to do this.
People sue for anything, and you are setting yourself up for failure.Making a corperation does just that, with insurance, you and your family are less likely to suffer a financial hardship over a $50 tire swap. Do what you will,
but dont cry when it happens.

All others,
I know of a least 3 other people in this town alone doing this out of thier home. If they are running under the radar,not only is the IRS likly to catch them, they still potentialy face the situation which I described above as well as other goverment enities looking to get thier cut.

My message is this only, bikers, know who you are dealing with, check them out, ask around, and make an informed decision.

Your life literally depends on it!

Bash

modette99
Mon Apr 6th, 2009, 02:53 PM

Tipys
Mon Apr 6th, 2009, 03:05 PM
Modette99 there is also more then just taking you time and knowing what your doing you would also be responsible if the tire has a defect. Also do you know how to read a DOT number? Because that is important part too.

modette99
Mon Apr 6th, 2009, 03:11 PM

Bashed
Mon Apr 6th, 2009, 03:24 PM
Do what you will,
but dont cry when it happens.

My message is this only, bikers, know who you are dealing with, check them out, ask around, and make an informed decision.

Bash

This is what this Forum is for. Read into it what you want.
Sportbikers mostly, and others to take information in, assimalate the product, weed through the BS, spit out what they don't want or need and move forward as they see fit. Unfortunatly, people see and hear what they want to, not nessecarily what is best.

Please refer to the top quote, again.

modette99
Mon Apr 6th, 2009, 03:30 PM

The_Jackel
Mon Apr 6th, 2009, 04:01 PM
Exactly, I sometimes hear customers asking why a "simple" tire change takes so long. I always tell them there is no rush on quality, why rush a tire change when we could overlook something and not perform a repair correctly which could be devastating. There is a reason we have had 100% customer satisfaction in our 4 years of being open, and we plan to keep it that way.

Out of curiosity, what accidents have you seen caused by mistakes when mounting and poorly/not balancing a tire?

We have had countless customers come in complaning how they just had their budget tires mounted and at speeds as low as 45MPH the wheel feels like its about to fly off because of such bad/no wheel balancing. Several wheel bearings and seals have been damaged from carelessness and over torqing of axles/not aligned correctly. Also have seen many wrecks from race take-off tires being run on the street, there is a reason they are THROW aways.

The Black Knight
Mon Apr 6th, 2009, 04:14 PM
Also have seen many wrecks from race take-off tires being run on the street, there is a reason they are THROW aways.
I think race take-offs are fine as long as the person buying them knows how to properly use them. They need heat put into them before you start riding at speed and must be treated with respect. However, I've run them for about as long as I've been riding and have had zero problems.

In fact my only low side I've had on the street was on regular Dunlop D208's that came on my bike. I used them for winter/colder weather riding as opposed to my Supercorsa take-offs. And through no fault of the tire(but my own) I just happen to hit sand(in Nov.) turning through a intersection and lost control.

So race take-offs are fine as long as the person using them respects them.

modette99
Mon Apr 6th, 2009, 04:17 PM

The Black Knight
Mon Apr 6th, 2009, 04:44 PM
However I think Jackel is saying that a business should not be expected to put those on for people...too much liability. I have to agree.
That may be the case with some business. But I'd say a majority of places out there thumb their nose at race take-offs and riders who use them because the fact that the Rider didn't buy New Tires from that specific business.

So of course that business isn't going to like seeing race take-offs come in to be put on a bike. They use the fact that there is a liability with installing take-offs to get around the issue that they have with someone not buying tires(new) from them.

Before I started using Bash to flip my tires for me. I had taken some race take-offs to Apex and they just look down on you for wanting to use take-offs. And have this attitude that they can't believe you came to them to have a set installed. Which just shows the level of customer service that they "don't" care to provide. I, in turn don't frequent that place(unless I absolutely need too) and prefer to buy my parts "On-Line".

I hate to sound that way but if I'm going to get the cold treatment that I've seen from some of the bike places in town. I'm more than happy with sending my money to someone(on-line) that will offer excellent customer service. That's just the nature of the beast and for sure I'd love to keep the money in my local economy and local businesses. But my time and money aren't worth being treated like I'm some sort of hoodlum just because I want to run take-offs.

modette99
Mon Apr 6th, 2009, 06:14 PM

brennahm
Mon Apr 6th, 2009, 07:33 PM
I think that if you're going to charge for tire changes, then all the previous advice is in good faith and should probably be heeded. If not, good luck to you.

As far as flats, blow outs, poor balancing, etc...That's from mounting a damaged/defect tire. Granted I've only worked with Pirellis, Michelins and Bridgestones (Street, DOT, Slicks) but never have I had to balance with more than 1oz of weight and usually 1/4 to 1/2 oz. Any more and something doesn't add up.

Ultimately, I don't trust anyone else anymore, I'll stick to my irons.

spdr8cr02
Tue Apr 7th, 2009, 08:12 PM
tfogracing best price around and off bike mounting for $12.99 each... cant beat it and he earned my business.