PDA

View Full Version : Renter's Insurance ?

Lurch
Tue Mar 24th, 2009, 05:16 PM
Looking to get a new place and would like to get a ball park figure for renter's insurance. The place won't have a bunch of stuff but prolly about $5000 worth. Can anyone help?

Thanks
Lurch

Sean
Tue Mar 24th, 2009, 05:17 PM
apt or house?

Zach929rr
Tue Mar 24th, 2009, 05:17 PM
My quote was like ~$10/month. State Farm. Multiple vehicles under that as well.

Edit for extra info: 21 yrs old, 5 bdrm house, clean everything record (fingers crossed! IH8U Thorton PD), State Farm wants to blow me pretty much.

Lurch
Tue Mar 24th, 2009, 05:26 PM
apt or house?

DOH...Guess that would help. It would be a 1100sqft condo.

Sean
Tue Mar 24th, 2009, 05:30 PM
Like Zach said, I have a car, bike and renters under one plan. I pay 10 or less a month and have well over $5k in assets. I have State Farm, I'd be happy to hook you up with the agent if you'd like. btw: the bike ins is less than $200 a year as well.

Zach929rr
Tue Mar 24th, 2009, 05:33 PM
the bike ins is less than $200 a year as well.

:shocked: Tell me that's not full coverage.

Sparker
Tue Mar 24th, 2009, 05:39 PM
my g/f works for state farm so here would be a lil run down. for instance a they do the quote on the amount of crap you have. say if 100% of everything you owned(other than vehicle) was destroyed or stolen and it all had to be replaced then that would be the amount of your policy.

say you have $50,000 worth of crap. that would cover 2,500 in firearms, like 1000 in jewelry, etc. already added to the policy. you could add more if you have more firearms. with 2 people with a fairly clean slate you would be in the ball park of $220 a year. if you go with a lower deductible it obviously goes up. if you add more firearm coverage it goes up, etc. Lurch, if you want shoot me your number and i will pass it on to my g/f and she can give you a call or i can give you her number and she can get ahold of you. she will try to get you the best deal she can. state farm is just about the lowest on renters ins by far recently.

Sparker
Tue Mar 24th, 2009, 05:43 PM
one thing to keep in mind when you add up your assets. you need to think about 100% of everything you have. all your clothes, kitchen, electronics, computers, kegs and taps, etc. what it would take to replace everything you own.

Sean
Tue Mar 24th, 2009, 05:54 PM
:shocked: Tell me that's not full coverage.
:hump: I ride a 600 and I'm over 30. My driving records not perfect, but pretty good.

Zach929rr
Tue Mar 24th, 2009, 05:56 PM
:hump: I ride a 600 and I'm over 30. My driving records not perfect, but pretty good.

Oh I hate you :lol:

/threadjack

DC Busa
Tue Mar 24th, 2009, 06:05 PM
:hump: I ride a 600 and I'm over 30. My driving records not perfect, but pretty good. I have my renters thru them as well 10 bucks a month for 20K in coverage, my bike 08 Hayabusa is 400 a year full cov, 33 and no tickets.

Lurch
Tue Mar 24th, 2009, 06:12 PM
my g/f works for state farm so here would be a lil run down. for instance a they do the quote on the amount of crap you have. say if 100% of everything you owned(other than vehicle) was destroyed or stolen and it all had to be replaced then that would be the amount of your policy.

say you have $50,000 worth of crap. that would cover 2,500 in firearms, like 1000 in jewelry, etc. already added to the policy. you could add more if you have more firearms. with 2 people with a fairly clean slate you would be in the ball park of $220 a year. if you go with a lower deductible it obviously goes up. if you add more firearm coverage it goes up, etc. Lurch, if you want shoot me your number and i will pass it on to my g/f and she can give you a call or i can give you her number and she can get ahold of you. she will try to get you the best deal she can. state farm is just about the lowest on renters ins by far recently.

Just trying to get a rough estimate. From what I see I would be in the $240/yr range. Just trying to get an idea for an investment.

FZRguy
Tue Mar 24th, 2009, 07:57 PM
It's dirt cheap with just about any ins co. Be sure to get the "replacement cost" rider.

wankel7
Tue Mar 24th, 2009, 09:54 PM
It's dirt cheap with just about any ins co. Be sure to get the "replacement cost" rider.

I was about to mention that...you want replacement cost coverage.

If you don't have that then they will give you the depreciated ammount of the item you are claiming. And that won't be much.

Renters insurance saved my butt when I had almost 5k of stuff stolen. I had no idea it was worth that much until I sat down and itemized what I lost and how much it would cost to replace it.

AetasMutuo
Wed Mar 25th, 2009, 08:57 AM
I go with State Farm in our Rent House, I have our Cars and my Busa all on the same policy.

The renters insurance costs about $11 a month and it is way more then 5K worth of coverage.

bodhizafa
Wed Mar 25th, 2009, 04:29 PM
I had State Farm renters ins. at around $10 per month (on top of car, bike with them). My place got broken into, something like 8k stolen (bikes, snowboards, laptop etc). State Farm was pretty good to deal with, replaced everthing, good customer service.

Captain Obvious
Wed Mar 25th, 2009, 04:39 PM
I have multiple policies through State Farm for my rental property, my rental house here and my vehicles. It was @$100 annually for the rental insurance, it would have been more if I didnt have multiple lines, but still very affordable.