PDA

View Full Version : Cell phone question (need a new phone)

McVaaahhh
Thu Mar 26th, 2009, 09:39 AM
I want to get my wife a new phone, but she's not eligible for the discounted upgrade for a couple more months (we have verizon), and I really don't want to sign another 2-year contract with them.

So, I'd like to just buy a phone off of someone/ebay/etc. and then activate it. So my questions are:

1) What do I need to look for in the phones, what do they need to have for me to just "plug and play" with them?

2) What should I expect when trying to activate it?

GixxerCarrie
Thu Mar 26th, 2009, 10:22 AM
You just need a valid ECN on the back. Before I bought one I'd call Verizon and see if its valid. They'll tell you whether they can do it or not. Request it from the seller before you agree to buy.

Zach929rr
Thu Mar 26th, 2009, 10:24 AM
What she said, and that most places can easily activate an ebay phone for you. Takes all of ten minutes.

GixxerCarrie
Thu Mar 26th, 2009, 10:25 AM
I know...but be careful....if they were stolen and you haven't checked it...you will buy yourself a phone you can't use. Just verify it Brian....

DevilsTonic
Thu Mar 26th, 2009, 10:26 AM
you could always sign up for AT&T and get her an iPhone. You won't regret it, especially with the new firmware that's coming out for it this summer.

MetaLord 9
Thu Mar 26th, 2009, 10:27 AM
Whew, I thought you were about to say your new phone is a piece of crap & you were getting rid of it. Little concerned since I just got the same phone...

McVaaahhh
Thu Mar 26th, 2009, 10:47 AM
you could always sign up for AT&T and get her an iPhone. You won't regret it, especially with the new firmware that's coming out for it this summer.

Still have a year on our Verizon contract from my new phone. Plus, I don't want to be one of "those" people with their friggen iPhones. :lol:

Whew, I thought you were about to say your new phone is a piece of crap & you were getting rid of it. Little concerned since I just got the same phone...

Nah, I like my phone. :up:

Thanks for the advice Carrie! :rock:

McVaaahhh
Thu Mar 26th, 2009, 11:26 AM
Anybody know what phones I can get? Does it just have to be unlocked?

PROFLYER
Thu Mar 26th, 2009, 11:44 AM
Pm sent

honey
Thu Mar 26th, 2009, 09:28 PM
I have an older model verizon phone (new - in the box), $60.
It is an LG VX8300, features:
1.3 megapixel camera w/flash
microSD expansion slot
bluetooth wireless tech, it supports the following bluetooth profiles - headset, hand-free, serial port, dial up networking, object push for vcard, and bluetooth stereo headset support for listening to music
speaker phone
hearing aid compataility
Vcast music phone

Let me know if you are interested, 720-621-5296