PDA

View Full Version : DOT Race tire?

Redflash3
Thu Mar 26th, 2009, 06:43 PM
Been considering trying some form of middle ground race tire for trackdays. I currently ride on Michelin 2ct's. But I've been curious how a set of race tires would feel and the confidence they should bring. How long would a set of tires last for a typical Chicane trackday(s) season? Are the DOT race take offs I usually see for sale here on the site the same thing? Any recommendations and or experience is appreciated.

Michelin Power Race 120/70/17 Medium front & 180/55/17 Medium rear tire combo
The Michelin Power Race Mediums have been a favorite of track day and hard core street riders since their introduction.
The Power Race copies a number of other features found in Michelin MotoGP tires.
Power Race tires are made from a rubber formula specifically developed for the racetrack, known as C-RAO (Compounds-RAcing Optimization).
It's a combination of three 100% synthetic components identical to those used in MotoGP tires during the 2004 season: proprietary Michelin Racing Synthetic Elastomers (MRSE) and two additives, Macro-Molecular Compound (MMC) and High-Technology Synthetic Compound (HTSC).
In addition, virtually the entire Power Race range is manufactured using Michelin's highly secretive C3M process, the same used to make MotoGP tires.
The Medium compound Power Race tires offer excellent performance with solid durability.
These are excellent for track day riders as well as hard core canyon riders (DOT tires).

Repsol a095
Thu Mar 26th, 2009, 07:30 PM
I have to tell you that dots or slicks make a huge difference. I was riding on 2cts at the track day and I didn't feel as confident as I usually am on dots or slicks

konichd
Thu Mar 26th, 2009, 07:35 PM
I have them in stock for $225 Medium rear.medium-soft front. They will easily last a couple track days for the average rider. :)

spdr8cr02
Thu Mar 26th, 2009, 08:50 PM
I have them in stock for $225 Medium rear.medium-soft front. They will easily last a couple track days for the average rider. :)

what about for a pair with a 160 rear?

racedk6
Thu Mar 26th, 2009, 08:53 PM
The DOT race tires are the way to go on the track. They will give you the best amount of grip at speed on the track.

Alot of people when using street built tires on the track seem to have a mental block or something of that sort. Most guys have less confidence on street tires when riding the track. Which will limit their ability to get faster, and limit their learning curve because they think they will lose grip.

Street tires can get you around a track at a decent pace, but become slick when the temps get to high. When most trackday/street riders actually switch to a race tire I tend to see them improve because they have more of a confidence in their tires and themselves.

They best person to talk to about this is Mark @ Vanmar. I know he has a few words to help you out.

racedk6
Thu Mar 26th, 2009, 08:57 PM
what about for a pair with a 160 rear?

Please keep this to PM's dont thread jack

spdr8cr02
Thu Mar 26th, 2009, 09:43 PM
??

Sean
Fri Mar 27th, 2009, 08:17 AM
I have to tell you that dots or slicks make a huge difference. I was riding on 2cts at the track day and I didn't feel as confident as I usually am on dots or slicksI was wondering why you were riding differently? It didn't seem like your normal speeds.

dragos13
Fri Mar 27th, 2009, 08:45 AM
Actual race tires will make all the difference in the world when riding on the track. You can find cheap takeoffs on the MRA forum but if you have several days planned for track riding then get ahold of konichd $225 for a new set is super cheap.

They should last you atleast 3 trackdays, even more depending on your riding skill. Make sure you are running correct tire pressure depending on what model of power race you go with. PM me with any questions.

rybo
Fri Mar 27th, 2009, 12:07 PM
Also know that full race tires are more temperature sensitive than street/trackday tires. Cold race tires are bad news, and you NEED to give them a couple laps to warm up if you aren't running warmers.

Also, the geometry of race tires is different than that of street tires, so you may have to make some small set up changes to fully exploit the benefits of ANY tire change.

s

Redflash3
Fri Mar 27th, 2009, 04:20 PM
Actual race tires will make all the difference in the world when riding on the track. You can find cheap takeoffs on the MRA forum but if you have several days planned for track riding then get ahold of konichd $225 for a new set is super cheap.

They should last you atleast 3 trackdays, even more depending on your riding skill. Make sure you are running correct tire pressure depending on what model of power race you go with. PM me with any questions.

I'm doing Jason Pridemore's 2 day school at MMP next month and I was considering trying them out there. Do you think that would be a good venue to test them out? Should I take into consideration if it's dry, wet, cold or warm those 2 days when choosing tires?

Also know that full race tires are more temperature sensitive than street/trackday tires. Cold race tires are bad news, and you NEED to give them a couple laps to warm up if you aren't running warmers.

Also, the geometry of race tires is different than that of street tires, so you may have to make some small set up changes to fully exploit the benefits of ANY tire change.

s

So even if the medium DOT's state there great for trackdays I should still be concerned about temperature? What set up changes would be required to fully exploit the DOT benefits?

Thanks guys

racedk6
Sat Mar 28th, 2009, 10:19 PM
Race tires need more time to heat up for sure. I would run a soft front and a medium rear. For the pridmore school and for your general trackdays.

rybo
Sun Mar 29th, 2009, 07:57 AM
Hey Brian,

From Mark's part of the clinic yesterday:

Street / Trackday tires (Pilot Power, Qualifier, BT16) - Work well in a wide range of conditions, including temperature, moisture, etc. Operating Temp range - up to 190F, then they turn to grease.

Race DOT - Doesn't event start working till 160F. Gets "happy" about 190F and is good up to 250F. So, yes, you always need to be concerned about temperature when dealing with ANY tire, not just the race tire. It seems more critical with the race tire because it's low end operating temperature is pretty high. You will want to take at least one solid warm up lap, accelerating hard, and braking hard with the bike upright to push heat into the tires before really riding on them. This is where warmers REALLY help.

Changing the set up of the bike is going to depend on what tire you end up choosing. If you like the way your bike is handling now (even if you don't) you're going to want to measure everything about it. Front and rear ride height will be critically important in getting your bike dialed in with new tires. Race tires (even within the same brand, but different models) have different profiles, some taller and more triangular, some rounder etc. This changes how the bike handles for sure. Measuring your bike before and after is the only way to know what changes you'll need to make.

hope that helps

Redflash3
Sun Mar 29th, 2009, 09:51 AM
Thanks guys for the advise on the DOT's, much to consider and keep in mind before deciding to go that route with race tires. I think I'll wait to try them out here locally at one of the trackdays instead of at Pridemore's school.

Much appreciated gentlemen.

Desmodromico
Sun Mar 29th, 2009, 12:13 PM
I am not very fast and I put a Power Race front on before the last Pueblo day, I had no issues even without warmers being it was warm and sunny, a decent pace for a lap seemed to warm them up fine especially with the hard braking into turn one. I suppose if the weather is cold all bets are off.

I am going to get a medium rear as soon as I get a 180 wheel for my SV.