PDA

View Full Version : Les Stroud

Shea
Fri Mar 27th, 2009, 10:17 AM
So I really dig Les Stroud. I enjoy his show Survivorman (way better then Man vs. Wild) and like his outlook on things.

Snowday surfing yesterday I came across this. I would love to strip down my life and enjoy a simpler (and more natural) existence.

The whole thing is 90-ish minutes long and follows him and his family as they build their "compound" out in the boonies.

http://circleoftheoroborous-dragon.blogspot.com/

About halfway down the page.

Devaclis
Fri Mar 27th, 2009, 10:22 AM
I am a big fan of Les. He is a great naturalist, from what I read he is also a great human being. the whole "giving up my current life track to just get away for 6 months" has occurred to me more and more lately. To grab the wife, 2 bikes, and leave everything behind for a while would be a dream come true. Not sure I could live in the situations he has put himself in for the sake of entertainment and learning, but i would try :) I have some pretty extensive wilderness survival training myself and I can tell you, Les is a great resource.

He reminds me of a great friend of mine, Silva. I would give up a lot to be more like either one of them :)

Devaclis
Fri Mar 27th, 2009, 10:24 AM
Man, spellchecker changed Wes for me :) Corrected.

asp_125
Fri Mar 27th, 2009, 10:35 AM
I don't think I could be completely off the grid but some of the most peaceful times I've had were in the backcountry or in the desert, away from the complication of city life. I admire those who can find a way to just take off for a year. I think about that more and more these days.

Devaclis
Fri Mar 27th, 2009, 10:39 AM
I have done a few 2week winter survival courses in the Adirondacks.

Being in the woods, in the snow, in the silence, is the single greatest peace i have ever known. It is both frightening and exhilarating while knowing you are on your own, with your limited gear and knowledge. I have sat in a snowbank on the side of a cliff and watched the snow fall into a deep valley and you can hear only your heart beating. Being in a snow cave at night, for the first night, is scary. You wonder if it will collapse and suffocate you or if you will suffer hypothermia from sweating while in the cave. It is pretty emotional. I miss it.

Big-J
Fri Mar 27th, 2009, 11:43 AM
When Im able to build my own house it will be be a self sufficiant home, wind power, soloar power, geo-thermal and all that good stuff. It's going to be near the city also, I still like the city life!
Ill stick to my weekend backpacking trips to get away from it all.

~Barn~
Fri Mar 27th, 2009, 12:13 PM
I'll stick to living in Centennial for being away from it all.

Shea
Fri Mar 27th, 2009, 12:19 PM
I have done a few 2week winter survival courses in the Adirondacks.

Being in the woods, in the snow, in the silence, is the single greatest peace i have ever known. It is both frightening and exhilarating while knowing you are on your own, with your limited gear and knowledge. I have sat in a snowbank on the side of a cliff and watched the snow fall into a deep valley and you can hear only your heart beating. Being in a snow cave at night, for the first night, is scary. You wonder if it will collapse and suffocate you or if you will suffer hypothermia from sweating while in the cave. It is pretty emotional. I miss it.

Something truly spiritual about waking up in the woods, listening to the sound of nature. Falling asleep under the stars to the sound of a crackling fire.

Give me a map, a compass and my multi-tool and it's a party :)

Dr. Joe Siphek
Fri Mar 27th, 2009, 03:10 PM
what a cool video...i like how he doesn't hide the all of the set backs in the editing. I will watch it again.